Good Place to buy retro games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

braindead_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 braindead_hero
Member since 2004 • 1174 Posts
Does anyone know of some good places or sites which sell retro consoles and games? Please don't say ebay as it's not as cheap as people claim it is.
SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
Try Amazon.com. Sometimes users will sell their old games and systems on Amazon. I found a couple of retro games on there that I bought and they where cheaper on Amazon.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
The best sites without question are estarland.com and videogamecentral.com
Avatar image for Moonknight_1209
Moonknight_1209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Moonknight_1209
Member since 2008 • 369 Posts

Amazon where i get all my games snes and dreamcast but i got system at a collectibles shop.

Avatar image for SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
SH4D0W_ASSASSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

amazon thats where i got final fantasy 7 and 8 for £20 not greatest hits :D

braindead_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 braindead_hero
Member since 2004 • 1174 Posts

cheers ill head on over to amazon then and look up some c1assics

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

Amzon is more expensive on most things.

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=Preowned

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts

Also, look into local stores that deal in used classic games. For example, I'm from Vancouver, and I shop at Gamedeals all the time. Those small local stores are great, because they are usually a small business, so you can get to know the owner on a personal basis, they can do favours for you (like keep an eye out for the original Soul Calibur for Dreamcast, or let you skip on paying tax)

Honestly, I've found local stores offer far more variety, and are much, much cheaper. Plus it's on a personal basis so you might find or hear of games that you haven't before that you turn out to love.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

Also, look into local stores that deal in used classic games. For example, I'm from Vancouver, and I shop at Gamedeals all the time. Those small local stores are great, because they are usually a small business, so you can get to know the owner on a personal basis, they can do favours for you (like keep an eye out for the original Soul Calibur for Dreamcast, or let you skip on paying tax)

Honestly, I've found local stores offer far more variety, and are much, much cheaper. Plus it's on a personal basis so you might find or hear of games that you haven't before that you turn out to love.

metroid_dragon

Although this is true, these small shops are not everywhere unfortunately. I use to work in the west coast (u.s.a.) California where you can find many small shops that would have hard to find games + rare imports. I live in the east coast, new jersey, where there are not too many small shops like these (and are slowly disappearing). Most people prefer to just order online since it's much more simple as the games would come straight to your door without any hassle.

Staying on the subject - estarland + amazon like mentioned above. Ebay is still better imo.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
ebay is amazing for this...trust me
watson_twenty5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 watson_twenty5
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts

I usually use a combination of eBay and Amazon as there's no small "mom & pop shops" where I live. Well, there's Pink Godzilla in Seattle, but that's different.

I bought Batman [NES] for $15 off eBay Express. That's where you can only buy things. There's no bidding. Pretty cool if you can find what you want.

maninatrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maninatrunk
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts
yeah man amazon is 9 times out of 10 more expensive but its just a game of cat and mouse on sites like amazon and ebay. you just gotta wait and look.
maninatrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maninatrunk
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts
oh and local shops are the truely best, along with pawn shops because pawn shops can still have stuff that is stored away in the back, because no one asks about it to try and buy any older games, I found diablo for the playstation, along with resident evil 3, oddworld abes exodus, and dino crisis for a total of 12 bucks. you just gotta ask them about whats stored away. also the local shops will carry old games, but the thing is they all know what they got, meaning, they know what something is worth, so it will not be really cheap.
mariojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 mariojoe
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts
I know you said no ebay, but there is a seller (a group) called Pico games that sell with "Buy it now" and are very speedy shippers and have low prices.
tester962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tester962
Member since 2004 • 2881 Posts
I currently love Game Haven and Play N Trade. These are local stores in my area(Las Vegas) but you can look them up online and they do have some stores in other states. They sell all sorts of older games, pretty much every system you can think of.
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
There's a store called slackers that is a treasure trove of retro games (they still sell the oringinal atari lol.) Unfornately, I've heard somewhere that they're only in midwest states like missouri.
G-Man88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 G-Man88
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
How much do you think those sites will charge you to deliver to another contry? its my only chance for buying PS2 or GBA games
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

The best sites without question are estarland.com and videogamecentral.comnVidiaGaMer

Hey, thanks a lot for those sites. If there's any others like it feel free to post them.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
The best sites without question are estarland.com and videogamecentral.comnVidiaGaMer
wow i dont live too far from the actual video game central store! I am with out a doubt hitting the store up..
ahriikgmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 ahriikgmr
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

try thrift stores like Goodwill or DI, they were selling atari games fro a dollar a game! They also has some SNES, N64, and Playstation games for a great price! I also got a Playstation 1 for 5 bucks and a N64 for 7 bucks!

laurensnaudts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 laurensnaudts
Member since 2003 • 398 Posts

I buy my stuff at Amazon or Play-Asia

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

VideoGameCentral is way more expensive than any other online retailer, by at least $10 or $15 a game, and if you're looking for "rare" games on there, go ahead and expect a "BACK ORDERED" message or a ridiculous price tag. (BTW, how do you back order a game that is out-of print?)

As much as you hate to hear it, I say go Half.com or eBay. I get most everything from eBay, and can't complain. Trust me..I buy A LOT, but I'm smart about it.

You just have to shop around on there. Don't expect to get a great deal the first time you look, and don't pay attention to the Power Sellers who advertise their games as "rare" or "hard to find." Pick one game at a time, research, watch, and bid when you think you've found a good deal. But again, if you're looking for rare games, chances are, someone else is, too.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#23 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

In the UK, the only place is Ebay :(

Jhawk1441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jhawk1441
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
There's a store called slackers that is a treasure trove of retro games (they still sell the oringinal atari lol.) Unfornately, I've heard somewhere that they're only in midwest states like missouri. ramboturd72
I believe last time I went to Slackers they only had 2 or 3 stores. 2 in Missouri around the STL area and one in Illinois. Since I don't live in that area anymore I go to a store called Vintage Stock. They sell some rarer games, but their prices can be pretty high if you are looking for very popular PS1 titles. I believe that they had Star Ocean: Second Story going for around 50 dollars, but the big game that they have is Valkyrie Profile and it was going for right at 100 dollars.
Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts

Classified ads from your local area. Easiest and potentially quickest way to get a game that you want.

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

Ok, how about Atari2600.com? Also checkout Atariage.com's marketplace forum, while you may be hesitant most transaction work out well. However ebay is still awsome and is going to be the best source forolder games.

Souwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Souwoo
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts
I do use Ebay as you just have to be patient to find a good deal on a retro game u really want. Craigslist to me is best as it is local classified ads and you can usually negotiate and barter with the seller.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

i get them at abu games

BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#29 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

I think you should try eBay with some preferences before searching on items, like free shipping and lowest price displays first. I also think this is the best website if you're into retro game items. Japan Game Stock, has Earthbound for $8.89 and it works fine.

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

I think you should try eBay with some preferences before searching on items, like free shipping and lowest price displays first. I also think this is the best website if you're into retro game items. Japan Game Stock, has Earthbound for $8.89 and it works fine.

BanjoMumbo

I'm pretty sure he's looking for NTSC format games

thock2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thock2
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts
I bought a psx for 10 bucks on ebay and it came wit MoH, MGS, and like 15 other games. I swear th people on there have no idea of what the value of this stuff is
Jhawk1441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jhawk1441
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
You can also try craigslist. I recently bought a SNES, Secrets of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Legend of Zelda, Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, and a few crappier titles for 60 bucks. That set-up separately would have cost some money.
NES-94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NES-94
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
try www.nqlasers.com/games
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

Craigslist

eran185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 eran185
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Hi

I think the best place is http://retroitems1.wix.com/retro

eran

Leftel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Leftel
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

http://www.gog.com/

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I have seen retro games for sale at Play-N-Trade. GameStop used to sell retro games for a while after it changed from Funcoland, but that time seems to be long gone.

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

Amazon is good.

freddu13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freddu13

Hello guys, you probably know this shop from JAPAN - Tokyo, nice contact, fast answer and very very good items/prices :

http://www.akiba-games.com

On ebay also :

http://stores.ebay.fr/akiba-games-dot-com

I've been tried both shop and ebay. The price on the shop are quite cheaper. Even if it's still cheap on ebay the shop is very good deal.

They have also a facebook page where they details all the new update (every day or 2 days) :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Akiba-Ga ... 4157638432

I'm a hugh N64 collector and they found for me almost every thing I was looking for (jusco system, jusco controller boxed, daiei system, daiei controller boxed, geoffrey controller boxed and many many more), plus one of the owner is a very big collector!

Hope you guys will enjoy it

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

honestly... tho it might seem sketchy... trading sections on established gaming forums. I.e. neo-geo.com, arcadeotaku.com, shmups.system11.org, etc..

literally the best prices I've come across. The trade sections are highly regulated and if you're blacklisted on one site, you better believe you will get blacklisted and heckled on your ebay account/other accounts. Anything from arcade PCBs, to neo-geo, SNES, saturn, genesis, etc...

majority request that you paypal gift - tho paypal advises against doing so.. otherwise expect to pay +4% for the paypal service fee. I've done two transactions on neo-geo (one $500 transaction for a supergun and one $70 transaction for a MVS pcb + neo GEO MVS game) and 6 one shmups.system11 (three $350 pcbs, one $300 pcb, $15 arcade art, and a $25 taito ash tray). Although I mostly stick to arcade games, I see retro console game stuff sold on all 3 consistently
(i.e. this thread that popped up yesterday). As long as you can establish rep, put up some WTB threads.

arades83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 arades83

I personally like to hunt for retro arcade machines, and I currently have a fully functioning, buzzing arcade room across from my kitchen. Now this option is best if the funds permit, so if you are interested in purchasing a full machine you can go to where I buy mine at

http://www.arcadespecialties.com/

I found this guy while I was looking online for an 80's Galaga machine. A friend was over my house, saw me searching, and told me about this site. The prices are very reasonable for what you're getting, (I got Galaga for $1500 completely refurbished) and when I got the machine it was in near perfect condition. The best part was that there was no "put together" stage out of the box like ikea furniture, it was as simple as plug-in and play!

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Yikes, super-old thread alert.

stranger1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stranger1212
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Flea markets by far! Theres nes for 2$ a piece!

GamersAlley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GamersAlley
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Give Gamers Alley a try. We are a local game store in NC and we just starting adding retro games to our website

www.gamersalleyonline.com

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@braindead_hero: There are alot of sites they sell retro games but the site I use when I can't find things in-store or on ebay for cheap is eStarland.com

Place is great and has retro games for REAL cheap. I love it. Only downside that will add to cost is shipping but other than that its great. They have such great supply you real need to visit the site yourself to see.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@albert_79: Please do not bump old threads, check the date from when the last post was made in the future. Locking this thread.