Glen Beck says games are the cause of suicides

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

You're going to lose brain cells watching this...

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Brain cells lost...... :(

I was reset to Lvl 1

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

He's got a point..... Uncharted was so crappy it made me wana kill myself.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i liked it better when he wasn't physically able to talk

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Stop giving him the attention he obviously wants.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

@hrt_rulz01: It's because of stupid people like him games get banned or censored. We should call out this bs when we can

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Video games are always going to be a scapegoat for this kind of shit. There's always other factors, but when people find out that some guy who killed himself or others happened to play video games, it's always the go-to thing to blame. I don't know about bringing attention to yet another nut who wants to blame video games for violence and such. People who actually play games aren't going to think anything of it, but it's those who don't play and understand video games that might believe this kind of bullshit. Oh, and I'm not surprised Glenn Beck would contribute to this video game witch-hunt. Anyone who actually listens to him is an idiot anyway.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

How in the world does this nutjob, and others like him, continue to have anyone pay any attention to anything that he says or does. Bottom of the barrel doesn't even begin to describe where this guy's mentality comes from.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

He's got a point..... Uncharted was so crappy it made me wana kill myself.

Sometimes i wonder about your humour Lulu :D

Anyways Glenn Beck is one of those mysteries there is a lot of in the world, a seemingly well-educated man who have gone through some of the finest learning institutes in the world and came out without having learned one single thing.

And the worst part is that he actually believes this shit himself.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Jacanuk

Humor ?

I may be exagerating (for dramatic effect) but I assure I'm not trying to be funny..... Uncharted broke me ! :(

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#12 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Not going to add to the view count. From the topic title, are we to assume suicide is a new thing? GFY.

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hrt_rulz01: It's because of stupid people like him games get banned or censored. We should call out this bs when we can

"These games re-wire your brain; we don't even know what they do yet. This is brand new stuff," Glenn Beck.

The irony is strong with this one.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

He's spamming for attention. He's a hack. We all know it. There might be something to his claim, but this being a video game forum you're not going to find unbiased users who can look at both sides objectively.

There should probably be some kind of study to see the affects of long term online gaming in young people. We all know it brings out the anger and rage and everything bad in some kids and adults.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@SoNin360: Those people are usually nutjobs or have issues to begin with. As you can see i am norwegian. He mentions Brevik. It's been debunked that he the "training" he got playing COD is total bs. I hate idiots like him using him to prove his point when he hasn't done his diligence on the matter

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@Bigboi500 said:

He's spamming for attention. He's a hack. We all know it. There might be something to his claim, but this being a video game forum you're not going to find unbiased users who can look at both sides objectively.

There should probably be some kind of study to see the affects of long term online gaming in young people. We all know it brings out the anger and rage and everything bad in some kids and adults.

Are you being ironic? because there isn't two sides here.

Glenn Beck has no point and he sounds like a lunatic......wait he doesnt sound like a lunatic he is a lunatic. And there is a reason why not even Fox wanted him on their payroll.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bigboi500

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Glenn Beck has no point and he sounds like a lunatic......wait he doesnt sound like a lunatic he is a lunatic. And there is a reason why not even Fox wanted him on their payroll.

The messenger doesn't destroy the message. The problem existed before that moron chose to use it to better his fame.

I know gamers don't want to really think about it, but there's something to this age of 24/7 online gaming that takes the place of parenting these days. Kids didn't behave this badly in the past. They've become desensitized to all kinds of violence, and there are lots of little Adam Lanzas out there, and weak-minded kids who can't handle the excessive hate.

All I'm saying is someone should take notice of what's going on out there, and try to understand what's going on. Just losing one child to anything related to this is too much.

I'm also not trying to blindly demonize gaming, but I'm not denying any and all negative things related to it either. Shrugging it off as nothing would be a mistake.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's about as silly as the hysteria during 9-11 when some people thought flight sims were enough to teach terrorists how to fly a jetliner.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The messenger doesn't destroy the message. The problem existed before that moron chose to use it to better his fame.

I know gamers don't want to really think about it, but there's something to this age of 24/7 online gaming that takes the place of parenting these days. Kids didn't behave this badly in the past. They've become desensitized to all kinds of violence, and there are lots of little Adam Lanzas out there, and weak-minded kids who can't handle the excessive hate.

All I'm saying is someone should take notice of what's going on out there, and try to understand what's going on. Just losing one child to anything related to this is too much.

I'm also not trying to blindly demonize gaming, but I'm not denying any and all negative things related to it either. Shrugging it off as nothing would be a mistake.

But there is no message at all.

There is absolute no credible research done that can prove definitively that games has an serious adverse effect on kids and their developing minds, and any effect they can prove is not proven to be anything more than what you see after a movie or a active play-session.

So yes people should look at what is happening out there and put the blame where the blame should be and thats 90% of the time with the parents and the surrounding society that doesn't respond when parents do ask for help. But before that can happen people like Beck needs to stfu and stop misinterpretating news stories and try to research things before he goes on ranting and prove that he is a complete moron.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I don't read Superman comics, but I can assure you, Issac Clark has probably done some bad things of his own in different series.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Call of Duty sold 100 million?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't hold the same "hate Glenn Beck" mindset other people do (although I don't listen to him or anything like that, used to though) but yeah this is pretty stupid.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jacanuk

@turtlethetaffer said:

I don't hold the same "hate Glenn Beck" mindset other people do (although I don't listen to him or anything like that, used to though) but yeah this is pretty stupid.

I have nothing against Beck.

I have something against the hate and ignorance he spreads.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Jacanuk: Okay? Good for you? I'm not saying I support the guy at all.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Behardy24

@dotWithShoes said:

Call of Duty sold 100 million?

Yup.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

And we should care about his opinion because?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

He didn't *really* just claim that playing Watch Dogs would grant kids The L33t Haxx0r Skillz, did he?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

You do know it's scientifically proven that children are not affected at all from games? Read it yourself...

Link

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bigboi500

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

You do know it's scientifically proven that children are not affected at all from games? Read it yourself...

Link

It's a "decade long study" which means it probably doesn't focus on online gaming. Also, it's just 11, 000 kids from one region, so I wouldn't exactly call it "scientifically proven" beyond a doubt.

Today's kids play online games all day, every day. I know that can't be healthy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500: There is not one single piece of evidence that says it does. So you can't say gaming is the reason people go off the rails. They either have mental unstability or just want to shoot people. Which again, why isn't there a universal background check like there are in other countries? You need to go through a few rounds of checking here in Norway before you actually are cleared to get a gun. We've had one shooting since WW2. Norway is active when it comes to gaming. Why hasn't there been more killings then?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 turtlethetaffer

@Bigboi500: That's what we here in the scientific community like to call "bad parenting." Of course playing online games all day is bad for you. Allowing a kid, especially a young one who's going through critical development processes, to play online all day is just the wrong thing to do. When people get older, they make their own choices, and most people that play games for a long time can tell the difference between them and reality, so there's not really an issue with that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500: There is not one single piece of evidence that says it does. So you can't say gaming is the reason people go off the rails. They either have mental unstability or just want to shoot people. Which again, why isn't there a universal background check like there are in other countries? You need to go through a few rounds of checking here in Norway before you actually are cleared to get a gun. We've had one shooting since WW2. Norway is active when it comes to gaming. Why hasn't there been more killings then?

Also its worth noting that in Scandinavia/Europe even in Finland who has the most liberal gun-politics, we don't see anything even near to the same School/Kids mass-killings as we do in America, and last i checked gaming is as dominate there as in usa.

So if Games was the cause we would see a trend all over the world and we don't, so again there is no proof what so ever that kids are adversely affected by games.

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ngTBG2e0E&feature=kp

I am suing you because watch Glen Beck did that to my brain

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wish people would stop looking for a scapegoat and actually come to the root cause of things like this and violence: mental illness.

A lot of people play violent video games, not everyone who plays them turns into a spree-killer.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Behardy24

@jeager_titan: Anytime someone mentions Big Rigs, I just think of this video:

Loading Video...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Also its worth noting that in Scandinavia/Europe even in Finland who has the most liberal gun-politics, we don't see anything even near to the same School/Kids mass-killings as we do in America, and last i checked gaming is as dominate there as in usa.

So if Games was the cause we would see a trend all over the world and we don't, so again there is no proof what so ever that kids are adversely affected by games.

Exactly my point! The reason for people going on rampages is because people around that person have not cared or the system around them have broken down completely. COD sells millions of copies every freaking year. Why is it that there aren't hundreds, hell even thousands of people doing these killings? Because they have no correlation. Just because someone has bread or milk in their house doesn't mean that makes them to flip the **** out either now is there?

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I want that 11 minutes of my life back!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@gajbutler said:

I blame the gays personally

I seriously hope that is sarcasm

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

0 correlation between the two. Idiot.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Another day, another media tirade blaming video games for actual serious issues people face. All is right in the world.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Last_Ride

@MLBknights58 said:

Another day, another media tirade blaming video games for actual serious issues people face. All is right in the world.

If media could actually report truth and fact, that would be nice

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

I've been playing video games for the good part of almost 15 years and I haven't committed suicide once!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

@JimmiCottam said:

I've been playing video games for the good part of almost 15 years and I haven't committed suicide once!

been playing for over 20 years, i never stabbed or killed anyone either. The whole argument is stupid

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JimmiCottam said:

been playing for over 20 years, i never stabbed or killed anyone either. The whole argument is stupid

We should take a vote...

If anyone has committed suicide or murdered anyone because of a game, raise your *internet* hand

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@JimmiCottam said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JimmiCottam said:

We should take a vote...

If anyone has committed suicide or murdered anyone because of a game, raise your *internet* hand

No one in here would raise their hand because Glenn Beck is stupid

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

By the share number of yearly releases and total games sold, there is probably a COD in almost every household with kids 12 - 19 of age, they could just as easily blame Coca Cola as almost every victim is bound to have a bottle in the fridge, or even blame the fridge for that matter. Of course there is a violent game involved, there is no violence depicted anywhere else but in the COD franchise, they probably have a GTA hidden in the pile of games too, but that is old hat to hate on by now, and politicians hating on them seems to get arrested for corruption.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The_Last_Ride

@yngsten: They could just blame water, because everyone drinks or already has that in their body. That's the same logic

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@yngsten: They could just blame water, because everyone drinks or already has that in their body. That's the same logic

Excactly. It isn't logical.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_Last_Ride

@yngsten said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Excactly. It isn't logical.

Which is why nobody should listen to this fuckwad. These guys are only doing it for money and politics