Girl gamers and female videogame developers. What do you think of them?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerZem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 GamerZem
Member since 2012 • 526 Posts

Most girl gamers are just attention whores. "Omg look at me, I'm a girl and play video games, send me friend requests now". I just don't really see what makes them different from any other gamer.

For example, there is this stunningly hot girl in my history class who plays games, things from Minecraft all the way over to Resident Evil. Apart from her gender, there is literally no difference between her and other gamers.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#52 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Most girl gamers are just attention whores. "Omg look at me, I'm a girl and play video games, send me friend requests now". I just don't really see what makes them different from any other gamer.

For example, there is this stunningly hot girl in my history class who plays games, things from Minecraft all the way over to Resident Evil. Apart from her gender, there is literally no difference between her and other gamers.

GamerZem

No.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#53 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I play Harvest Moon. tee hee, =P
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It's a non issue. For **** sake, gaming is one of the most mainstream hobbies people have now days, I'd be surprised if I met a girl who didn't at least like standard games like Call of Duty.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I don't think developers would be inherently different for being female unless designing a game centered around a story driven female (which we need more of).

As far as female gamers I'm indifferent to them being a female. Gamers who have good taste are cool.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

GamerZem

I agree. A lot of selfproclaimed gamers are attention whores, be it female or not. They're just annoying which is why I don't really talk to anyone about my habits except for my girlfriend who plays videogames quite regularly, a couple close friends, and forums where I can ignore people if I don't find their comments of interest to me.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

They suck and they're all icky.

With cooties.

COOTIES I SAY!

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

GamerZem

It's this kind of attitude that makes many female gamers shy about their hobbies. I've done a lot of online gaming with friends and out of the dozen or so females I played with, you could only tell one was a female because of her name.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerZem"]

whiskeystrike

It's this kind of attitude that makes many female gamers shy about their hobbies. I've done a lot of online gaming with friends and out of the dozen or so females I played with, you could only tell one was a female because of her name.

But it's true.

Too many girl gamers are attention whores. They act like they're entitled to some sort of special treatment because of their gender.

Most of the girl gamers I know have played the gender card multiples times when talking about games.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="GamerZem"]

GeoffZak

But it's true.

Too many girl gamers are attention whores. They act like they're entitled to some sort of special treatment because of their gender.

Most of the girl gamers I know have played the gender card multiples times when talking about games.

Guess it depends on personal experience. All of the girl gamers I know, including myself, are pretty low key about their gaming habits and don't feel that they are special for being a female gamer.

Panko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Panko1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It seems that this question is meant for boys gamers to answer just because they are majority. Or it could be just another chance to girls to say how good they think about them self as they usually do. Either way, girls are the ones most concerned about game genders because they feel suppressed by boys even when they aren't. But the true reason for most girls not playing games is simply because they don't like it or maybe because they favorite kind of game is to get more attention? If most girls learned to enjoy the games we would see more game for and by them but instead all we see are these masculine childish violent games simply because most players are angry 12 year-old boys resulting in male or female developers that make these repetitive FPS war games again and again and keep selling just by adding a new number on the title.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Game developers still hugely disproportionate when it comes to male vs. female developers. I don't think any significant number of studios have been trying to discourage female developers, it's just that there's not a very large pool to draw from. This can be especially true when it comes to programmers, whereas females tend to be a little more common among artists. I think it would be nice if studios and schools started being a little more active in terms of courting female developers, and encourging them to to head down that career path.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#63 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

See Bioshock 2. A game developed by women, about women. And one of the most powerfully reflective games I've ever played.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Game developers still hugely disproportionate when it comes to male vs. female developers. I don't think any significant number of studios have been trying to discourage female developers, it's just that there's not a very large pool to draw from. This can be especially true when it comes to programmers, whereas females tend to be a little more common among artists. I think it would be nice if studios and schools started being a little more active in terms of courting female developers, and encourging them to to head down that career path.

Teufelhuhn

That sounds an awful lot like a quota system. Things like that are discriminatory, unprofessional and terrible no matter how they're presented, and not unlike affirmative action. AA was responsible for a lot of unqualified people ending up in positions that they had no business being in, just to fill a stupid government quota.

My adviser at college used to get phone calls from the US Government asking how many black students he had in his class in order to fulfill positions that were needed, and he would always ask them "what about my other students?", and he would get the response of something like "if they're not black, we'll take them only if they have a GPA of 4.0." , but they wanted black students, no matter what their GPA was.

Courting females just because of their gender to add to the mix just for the sake of diversity and equality sounds like a bad idea, for all the wrong reasons. There has to be a better way to try to get females involved in the industry than that.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
That sounds an awful lot like a quota system. Things like that are discriminatory, unprofessional and terrible no matter how they're presented, and not unlike affirmative action. AA was responsible for a lot of unqualified people ending up in positions that they had no business being in, just to fill a stupid government quota.

My adviser at college used to get phone calls from the US Government asking how many black students he had in his class in order to fulfill positions that were needed, and he would always ask them "what about my other students?", and he would get the response of something like "if they're not black, we'll take them only if they have a GPA of 4.0." , but they wanted black students, no matter what their GPA was.

Courting females just because of their gender to add to the mix just for the sake of diversity and equality sounds like a bad idea, for all the wrong reasons. There has to be a better way to try to get females involved in the industry than that.

Bigboi500
I know there are some movements by organizations like IEEE and Google to sponsor events for women and generally encourage women to become engineers (of which Computer engineering is a sub group). The nature of working in some fields of engineering can sometimes be inconvenient for women (eg: time or work commitments, physical effort..etc) but there's definitely changes being made in some companies to make working conditions more welcoming. I've worked with some female developers/engineers and attended a couple of those events. There are companies that are starting to pay attention and try to bring more ladies into the industry. As for the quota system you mentioned, companies should hire applicants based on their skills/experience and nothing else. However they should also implement a system where HR wouldn't disregard or discriminate against applicants based on gender/background, rather than force hiring disqualified people to give the illusion of a diverse workforce. I've seen many people, myself included, who applied for jobs and the applications weren't even considered because of some hidden company policy against certain groups.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I don't think there is any issue at all :o I mean they are just girls playing video games. Whats to get? The only thing I don't like is how they are viewed, since most of the time they look like they are treated as sex symbols more than people who can actually make you cry like a noob :3 If anyones played an MMO or two, I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of the girls who play games are good at them and not trying to be all sexy about it xP It's a game, things like gender don't particularly matter! Think if the frag dolls were reversed, men in suits playing video games o3o theres nothing more to it, just people playing video games :P
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

Everyone loves games..!!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#68 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play gamesenjoy07

Ah, but there are quite a bit of us out there. :)

i doubt that, i have been gaming for quite some years and only met 1 girl playing, my brother knows one. But i have only met one
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I think less gender disparity in games and games development is a good thing. Have known plenty of ladies over the years who have loved games, including my girlfriend. People with vaginas enjoy games just like people with penises, surprise surprise.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
[QUOTE="enjoy07"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play gamesThe_Last_Ride

i doubt that, i have been gaming for quite some years and only met 1 girl playing, my brother knows one. But i have only met one

Unlike males, who proudly proclaim their love of gaming loudly and don't have to worry about being pestered to show their breasts, for cyber sex and more, female gamers more often than not find themselves having to hide their interest in gaming away, usually having to hide behind male personas so not to be pestered by immature, horny male teens and grown males who act like they've never seen a female before. You've likely played against many female gamers and not realised it due to how often we're forced to hide because of the immature 'males only!' mentality in gamers, developers, publishers and more when it comes to gaming and other things that are seen as a male only past time.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
[QUOTE="enjoy07"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play gamesThe_Last_Ride

There are tons of girls playing o3o You probably won't hear them use mics as much though because when they do guys like flock around them in awe xD at least thats what is like when I played halo with some of my friends :P The last mmo I played my guild got big enough to where we had a branch full of women :P So there are a lot of girls playing really xD
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Wasn't she that ridiculous black lady at the Ubisoft conference at E3 this year? If so, I don't know anything about the quality of her work, but for the love of God, keep her out from in front of the cameras.El_Zo1212o

No, she is Jade Raymond:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Raymond

Who the heck are you talking about? :|

Apparently, the ridiculous black lady I mentioned was Lana Kane from Archer. What the hell was she even doing there? And why didn't I recognize her voice?

aisha tyler is an avid gamer, and an entertainer....she is like jay mohr of the d.i.c.e awards.... i found her hillarious, i don't get all the hate about her....
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Bigboi500

Huh? How did "courting females" somehow get warped into "quota system"? :? I was merely suggesting that developers might want to try a bit harder to shake off the "boys-only club" image. I certainly wasn't implying that the government or some other group should force anybody to hire women. There are plenty of talented women, they don't any help getting job. However they might be turned off by the atmosphere and culture of some studios.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

It's all crap and just something to seek attention. At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with a female doing whatever she wants to do. But recognition should be giving based on talent and performance. Not race, gender or sexuality. After all, we're all part of the same species. Why can't a girl gamer just be a gamer without feeling the need to compete with males and being put on a pedastal based on gender?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#75 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="enjoy07"]

Ah, but there are quite a bit of us out there. :)TrainerCeleste

There are tons of girls playing o3o You probably won't hear them use mics as much though because when they do guys like flock around them in awe xD at least thats what is like when I played halo with some of my friends :P The last mmo I played my guild got big enough to where we had a branch full of women :P So there are a lot of girls playing really xD

i am not the biggest online player and i usually don't use a mic, so you are probably right. But as i said, i only know of 1 really
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] i doubt that, i have been gaming for quite some years and only met 1 girl playing, my brother knows one. But i have only met oneThe_Last_Ride

i am not the biggest online player and i usually don't use a mic, so you are probably right. But as i said, i only know of 1 really

Yeah, we're all hiding.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

My girlfriend has never owned a Sony console, but just discovered the God of War series on mine. She's at the Temple of Euryale in GoW2 right now. Needless to say, girl gamers are awesome. : )

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

They just have a different view on things sometimes. Sometimes not. In my experience most girls like JRPG's, MMO's, and casual fun games (not necessarily crappy games though :P). But again, that is just in my experience. I know my ex and other girls I knew back then, love WoW, Final Fantasy, and stuff like that. Then there are many who like The Sims, Animal crossing and so on. Then there is my friend who just likes anything RPG (TES, BL, WoW, Diablo, and so on) but doesn't care for difficult games.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="enjoy07"]

about a dozen in my online community

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

What do I think? I think they're gamers and developers with breasts and vaginas.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

What do I think? I think they're gamers and developers with breasts and vaginas.

MirkoS77
I thought about making a joke here, but all I could come up with was, "mmm..."