Genres you don't care for

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
Okay, so this is pretty self-explanatory. What are some game genres that you don't like or just don't care for? Personally, I'm not to fond of RTSs or RPGs. RTS just don't feel very engaging too me and RPGs feel maybe a bit too engaging. You can't really just put down an RPG for a month and expect to be able too pick it back up and remember what you have done, what you're doing, and what you need to do. Usually I can only play handheld RPGs for an extended amount of time.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#2 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Newer platformers. Just don't care for them; they're either too basic or plain confusing and 3D platforming has always put me off. also, I lost touch with deep RTS textwalls; I don't know where I used to get the time to enjoy those, but now they seem so tedious. Other than that, I'm pretty much up for anything.
mvzqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mvzqs
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts
shooters typical beefed up steroid users screaming their wifes name. crappy WRPGs more like a crappy TPS.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

For me its First Person Shooters. The few Ive tryed I just cant get into. I always feel out of place because I can't see myself (just my hands). Hard to describe. Like my depth perception is off.

Also RPGs. Not because of all the stats and items its just their so tedious with their fighting. Turn-Based ones I mean. I wanna fight...not stand there picking attacks and dying because Im not leveled up enough.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I was never into puzzle games.

mvzqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mvzqs
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

For me its First Person Shooters. The few Ive tryed I just cant get into. I always feel out of place because I can't see myself (just my hands). Hard to describe. Like my depth perception is off.

Also RPGs. Not because of all the stats and items its just their so tedious with their fighting. Turn-Based ones I mean. I wanna fight...not stand there picking attacks and dying because Im not leveled up enough.

wildcat2000
turn based involves strategy....and its possible beating them at such a low level without needing to reach the lvl cap.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
racing games and sports games with some few exceptions like Wipeout, virtua racing, NBA Jam and Tony Hawk I'm not on big on realism in these two genres, so when I play one of these games they have to be the most over the top they can be I'm guessing a lot of people here will state RTS as their least favourite genre though, as RTS games rarely suceed on consoles
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts
Racing Sims like Gran Turismo (I prefer the arcade stuff like Mario Kart and F-Zero) and most sports games.
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

RPGs either japanese either western. Cause is simple, they are able to absorb you long long time in average way 30 plus hours. Other than that, most important to me, i can't tolerate online gaming so MM genres spread this is reason i didn't upgrade to consoles new generation make their basis straight on online gaming

Also eachl Simulation games are not in line with flying or field enviroment, i like realistic plane simulation

Genre i prefer is action or action adventure (survival horror)

BrokenThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrokenThunder
Member since 2010 • 85 Posts

Realism simulators (Gran Turismo, flight simulators, etc.), I'm more of an arcade gamer (Although I don't actually go to arcades often. lol). I mean I prefer games that bend realism to be fun instead. And that experience is more frequent in arcade games it seems.

I also think that MMORPGs are awful. Every one I've tried I haven't liked. I haven't tried the Monster Hunter series, but it looks good, but apparently it qualifies as an MMORPG (Correct?), so hopefully it turns out when I get to try it.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Motion gaming, Strategy (except Age of Empires and Valkyria Chronicles), Puzzle and Point and Click Adventure (except Back to the Future).

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Driving and sports games, everthing else goes if i find the game fun.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I consider myself pretty burnt out on strategy/rts games. Those were all I played for years because my PC was too crap to handle anything more graphics-intensive, and they all feel like the same now. I do play some Advance Wars every once in a while though. My burned-out-ness doesn't extend to handhelds, I think.

I also got burnt out on most JRPGs once I switched to WRPGs. I try to go back and play FFXII, and all I can feel is the boring corridors, dislikeably over-wrought characters, endless grinding, and want to go back to Morrowind and brew potions or kill bandits or train my jumping skill so I can finally climb that-random-mountain-over-there OH HEY A CAVE LET'S LOOT IT. It's kind of sad. I used to love JRPGs. I know I'll go back someday, but right now I'm just tired.

Genres I never liked include sports games like FIFA or Madden (but I like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games), or puzzle games (but I like Tetris and Braid).

Adventure games never did it for me either. The only one I ever finished was The Neverhood, which my dad and I worked on for years until we finally gave up and I then used our compiled notes, seven years after, to finish the game one day when I was ill. Good game, but utterly backwards in design (no viewable inventory, no in-game notebook, impenetrable puzzles unless you have a notebook of them).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

I can play pretty much any genre except one and its more of a sub genre than anything else. Thats the realistic racer, games like Gran Turismo PGR and other games of that sort, I cannot stand. I find them unexciting and a boring personally.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I can play pretty much any genre except one and its more of a sub genre than anything else. Thats the realistic racer, games like Gran Turismo PGR and other games of that sort, I cannot stand. I find them unexciting and a boring personally.

TheTrueMagusX1
I somewhat agree, the only realistic driving games I found fun were Gran Turismo 3 , and Ferrari F355 Challenge, otherwise they all bore me for the most part. I do quite like arcade racing games though.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Darkman2007

I somewhat agree, the only realistic driving games I found fun were Gran Turismo 3 , and Ferrari F355 Challenge, otherwise they all bore me for the most part. I do quite like arcade racing games though.

Obh yeah I agree with you as well. I like games like Crazy Taxi, or stuff like the Need for Speed Hot Pursuits are fun. As for the realistic racers I just cannot get into any of them!!

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Anything with "manager" or "sing" in the title :D

I also avoid sports games (except if it has to do with racing).

I also think that MMORPGs are awful.

BrokenThunder

I think that too. I'd love to play a online enabled "traditional" RPG, though :)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="BrokenThunder"]

nameless12345

I think that too. I'd love to play a online enabled "traditional" RPG, though :)

Im not a fan of Sports games either. the only ones I really like are Athlete Kings, Winter Heat and Go Go Goal on the Saturn , as well as Fifa98 on the PS1.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="BrokenThunder"]

nameless12345

Oh yea thanks for reminding me I am not a big fan of Music rythm games! And MMORPGs, never been keen on those but I love RPGs though!!!

JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

Survival Horror Games I could never get into them i find them boring

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i never played an RTS... so that?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm ususally not fond of RTS's but Knights in the Nightmare (which was more of a RTS and Bullet Hell hybrid) was great. The lesson here is that, if it's fun, chances are, I'll play it. My usual choices are platformers ( like Mario), adventures(like Zelda), RPG's (mostly Western RPG's, but I've played my fair share of JRPG's)and some open worlders. (Like AC Brotherhood.) A genre I'd like to quit is FPS. I've got Black Ops, and will probably play it to death, but I think it's the last FPS like that I'm gonna buy. They're all just too similar. And, critic's opinions of them vary wildly. For instance, they're much, much more nitpicky with lesser FPS's than they are with, say Halo. (Which I don't particularly like.) However, ones like Half Life 2 or the Theif series (which really aren't shooters at all) are ones that I'll probably buy. I like it when there is actually a strong focus on singleplayer. It adds to the longevity.

VIncolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VIncolo
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts

Music, Sports, Party/Family, Puzzle.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Music, Sports, Party/Family, Puzzle.

VIncolo

Ah, yes, I forgot about sport and party games. Also, I don't play musicgames that much.

MatrixPhyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MatrixPhyre
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts
I don't touch the following genres: Sports (except for extreme or racing games, Tony Hawk is awesome) FPS Strategy games (Kessen was the closest) Puzzle Survival Horror
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Strategy Games - Far too slow-moving for me.

JRPGs - I hate menu/turn-based fighting. And random-battles annoy the frick out of me. Action RPGs, or Western RPGs are some of my favorite games ever, though.

Sports Games - I'm just not a sports guy. I don't watch sports either. However, I play the heck out of wrestling games (and I grew up watching wrestling and still do), but that's not REALLY a sport, now is it? And Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort is pretty fun.

Party Games - They just seem so simple and unengaging to me. I can't get into them. And most of them are too freaking cute for their own good.

Dance Game - Metal-heads don't dance. Nuff said.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

flight similator

RTS

MMO

mostly pc dominant genres

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bigM10231

when they say racing, i get a rage feeling until they mention an exception then im:)

mamagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mamagod
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

I don't really care for music games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I play music anyway, so I don't really feel like I'm missing anything.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

My favorite Genres...Racing (all...sim and arcade), Sports, and FPS

Genres that I don't care for...RPGs (Unless it is Pokemon Gold/Silver or all Final Fantasies up to XII) and the new RTS games...

AND Sandbox games....the only Sandbox game that I have ever liked was Driver 2...I can' t stand any other sandbox game...

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NodakJo2010

when they say racing, i get a rage feeling until they mention an exception then im:)

bigM10231

Lol that is how I get everytime when someone says something bad about Gran Turismo...lol that is my favorite game series of all time

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

MMORPGs, thats pretty much it. I don't find going on fantasy quests with other people appealing. Don't really like the need for paying fees for many of them are the countless hours of required investment.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bigM10231

Genres that I don't care for...RPGs (Unless it is Pokemon Gold/Silver or all Final Fantasies up to XII) and the new RTS games...

AND Sandbox games....the only Sandbox game that I have ever liked was Driver 2...I can' t stand any other sandbox game...

NodakJo2010
gta from 3 on is mostly like driver 2 but better
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NodakJo2010

[QUOTE="NodakJo2010"]

bigM10231

gta from 3 on is mostly like driver 2 but better

I tried them...they just aren't the same...maybe mindless driving and killing just doesn't excite me much anymore lol.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Sport games, Not including racing or fighting. I'm a odd man that doesn't really like sports.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

RTS games- mainly because I don't have a PC.

TBS games, because I had a terrible experience with them- Rondo of Swords was just... just... impossible.

Realistic/sim games, especially racers or flight sims.

Sports games in general. I hate sports. :P

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I don't really like strategy games. That's pretty much it.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

I'm not in love with MMO's..

And other than Tetris, I do NOT like Puzzle games..

Other than that, everything else is fair game. :)

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Shooters (both first and third person)
Sandbox games
Sports games
Western RPG (except Diablo and Elder Scrolls)
Music games
MMORPG

pestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 pestro
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

RTSs, music games, party games and whatever genre Harvest Moon is :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

While Ill play them and do admittedly get some fun out of them, fighting games and racing games just arent really my cup of tea!

im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts

I'll play just about anything as long as it's engaging. I used to say that I'd never play music games but after having a ton of fun with DDR for the Wii with my sister my stance has changed. I used to think that I'd hate hard action games but Ninja Gaiden for Xbox is one of my favorite games of all time. But one thing that I don't think that I'd like would be games like the Sims but then again, I've never played so maybe I might...

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Shooters. I'm sure they're great for multiplayer, but other than that, I don't see the appeal in them.

Sports. I don't watch sports on tv, so I sure wouldn't play them in a game either.

Undead_Yakuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Undead_Yakuza
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts

Racing and sports games... Oh gawd they bore me.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I like FPS games, but I don't like FPS as a genre. While I enjoy blowing stuff up/away, only a handful of them pepper my library based on their individual merit. If I'm just going to shoot at stuff, pick up weapons and reach checkpoints, I'd rather it be a top down or side scrolling shooter. Wish that genre got the same big budget treatment FPSs get.

MKOHLER2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 MKOHLER2009
Member since 2010 • 261 Posts

Racing, Sports, and Fighting except for a few.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#47 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

First person shoters. I can't stand them

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#48 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I don't like racing or sports games. I don't like 3D RPGs, Platformers, or fighting games as much as I do 2D but I can still enjoy them.
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

FPS the only ones I care about it the ones made by valve and a few more but I think almost every singel games is the same either Halo 3 style or Call of Duty style it never comes any really new stuff for the genre...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#50 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

educational is the only genre i dont ca re for ill play a little in every other genre,

most fav=nintendos mariokart and goldeneye so racin and fps lol