GBA or DS? Which had the better games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Containmomentum
Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Containmomentum
Member since 2012 • 117 Posts
Was thinking this the other day, the GBA was prety much the height of the Game Boy line and actually had a lot of good games instead of like, 3 or so hehe, well in comparison anyway. The DS, while the two screen think was new and it had better graphics, I believe the GBA was the better system. I think the Game Boy line, which was slowly loosing a lot of ground after the GBC into the GBA, was coming back with the GBA where there was great first and third party support and great games as well as some good ports. The DS games just lacked any real original gameplay, or when they did, seemed like either thee was no effort put in, or gameplay became stale. See the two DS Zelda games for example. (Then again, minish Cap was pretty bad too however...) Which did you find better?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I never owned a DS, but I sometimes play my friends, and it has LOTS of games I'd like to try out. So I can't really say which has better games because I have little experience with the DS, but there are tons of GBA games that I loved back in the day and still love today.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Was thinking this the other day, the GBA was prety much the height of the Game Boy line and actually had a lot of good games instead of like, 3 or so hehe, well in comparison anyway. The DS, while the two screen think was new and it had better graphics, I believe the GBA was the better system. I think the Game Boy line, which was slowly loosing a lot of ground after the GBC into the GBA, was coming back with the GBA where there was great first and third party support and great games as well as some good ports. The DS games just lacked any real original gameplay, or when they did, seemed like either thee was no effort put in, or gameplay became stale. See the two DS Zelda games for example. (Then again, minish Cap was pretty bad too however...) Which did you find better?Containmomentum

Hmmm...they both have awesome libraries,tbh.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'd take the GBA library over the DS library. But both do have pretty good libraries.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I was never a huge GBA guy, but I've never been a huge handheld guy to be honest. However, I definitely like my DS more than I did my GBA, both are great though. Hey, is the DS technically retro since the 3DS came out? Your thoughts...

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#6 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

I was never a huge GBA guy, but I've never been a huge handheld guy to be honest. However, I definitely like my DS more than I did my GBA, both are great though. Hey, is the DS technically retro since the 3DS came out? Your thoughts...

Shenmue_Jehuty
I'd say both PSP and DS should be up for discussion here now since the release of the Vita and the 3DS.
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Dudersaper
I'd say both PSP and DS should be up for discussion here now since the release of the Vita and the 3DS.

I wouldn't say that would apply just yet, there are still games to come for those systems.
Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Containmomentum
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

ModeDude

I wouldn't say that would apply just yet, there are still games to come for those systems.

There were games coming for the Xbox, GC, GBC, NP, PS2, PS1,and a bunch of others 2, Ds and PSP get no special treatment.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#9 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
GBA. Both the DS and GBA had great libraries, but a lot of third-party DS games weren't all that enjoyable and first-party games were pretty much the bulk of the good ones. The GBA slot was also one of the DS's selling factors. The GBA had plenty of awesome games including DEMIKIDS :D and the Pokemon GBA games were the best around.
Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

DS has the Ace Attorney series so it wins by default

Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Containmomentum
GBA. Both the DS and GBA had great libraries, but a lot of third-party DS games weren't all that enjoyable and first-party games were pretty much the bulk of the good ones. The GBA slot was also one of the DS's selling factors. The GBA had plenty of awesome games including DEMIKIDS :D and the Pokemon GBA games were the best around.Spinnerweb
DEMI KIDS? Have you ever thought of seeing a doctor? Naw, just kidding. Maybe it will be better if i replay it again then when I played it the last couple times.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Both have excellent libraires; I can't say for sure.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I own a DS Lite, so BOTH are great, to me.

:lol:

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#14 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I actually enjoyed my GBA more than my DS, even though I have more DS games than GBA games. I had more time to dive into games during the GBA era. Nowadays I would be lucky to even get a day off.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#15 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]GBA. Both the DS and GBA had great libraries, but a lot of third-party DS games weren't all that enjoyable and first-party games were pretty much the bulk of the good ones. The GBA slot was also one of the DS's selling factors. The GBA had plenty of awesome games including DEMIKIDS :D and the Pokemon GBA games were the best around.Containmomentum
DEMI KIDS? Have you ever thought of seeing a doctor? Naw, just kidding. Maybe it will be better if i replay it again then when I played it the last couple times.

DemiKids is awesome \(^o^)/ A bit difficult, but awesome :D
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#16 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I like GBA. I think it is the best system period for 2D gaming. DS has a lot of cool stuff though and I honestly haven't played nearly as much for it but that is mostly because GBA games appeal to me more.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

My Favorite GBA Games:

• Castlevania: Classic NES Series
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
  • Contra Advance: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
  • Doom 1 & 2
  • Final Fight One
  • The Legend of Zelda: Classic NES Series
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Four Swords Edition
  • The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
  • Mega Man Zero 1-3 (But DANG, are they hard!)
  • Metal Slug Advance
  • Metroid: Fusion
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Pinball of the Dead
  • Sonic Advance 1-3
  • Spider-Man: Mysterio's Menace
  • Super Mario Advance 1, 2, & 4 (I never was a fan of Yoshi's Island, sorry)
  • Super Mario Bros.: Classic NES Series
  • Tony Hawk series
  • Wolfenstein 3-D
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link: Classic NES Series

My Favorite NDS Games:

• Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (I can't solve the slide puzzles in Dawn of Sorrow :( )
  • Contra 4
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Spirits Tracks SUCKED!)
  • Metal Slug 7
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters
  • Metroid Prime: Pinball
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
  • Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
  • Sonic Rush (I haven't played Colors yet, and even though Rush is good, I still think the Advance series is better)
  • Super Scribblenauts (I still haven't played the original Scribblenauts, yet)

So GBA wins it by a wide margin, for me. It has a much larger library of personal favorite games of mine. Some fantastic portable ports of my some of my favorites cIassics, as well.

Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Containmomentum

My Favorite GBA Games:

Castlevania: Classic NES SeriesCastlevania: Aria of SorrowCastlevania: Circle of the MoonCastlevania: Harmony of DissonanceContra Advance: The Alien WarsDonkey Kong Country 1 & 2Doom 1 & 2Final Fight OneThe Legend of Zelda: Classic NES SeriesThe Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Four Swords EditionThe Legend of Zelda: Minish CapMega Man Zero 1-3 (But DANG, are they hard!)Metal Slug AdvanceMetroid: FusionMetroid: Zero MissionPinball of the DeadSonic Advance 1-3Spider-Man: Mysterio's MenaceSuper Mario Advance 1, 2, & 4 (I never was a fan of Yoshi's Island, sorry)Super Mario Bros.: Classic NES SeriesTony Hawk seriesWolfenstein 3-DZelda II: The Adventure of Link: Classic NES Series

My Favorite NDS Games:

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (I can't solve the slide puzzles in Dawn of Sorrow :( )Contra 4The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Spirits Tracks SUCKED!)Metal Slug 7Metroid Prime: HuntersMetroid Prime: PinballNew Super Mario Bros.Ninja Gaiden: Dragon SwordResident Evil: Deadly SilenceSonic Rush (I haven't played Colors yet, and even though Rush is good, I still think the Advance series is better)Super Scribblenauts (I still haven't played the original Scribblenauts, yet)

So GBA wins it by a wide margin, for me. It has a much larger library of personal favorite games of mine. Some fantastic portable ports of my some of my favorites cIassics, as well.

Emerald_Warrior
So you enjoyed being ripped off paying full price for NES ports? That aside, interesting list (although noticed Zero 4 didn't make it or any other GBA MM game.) I liked Metal Slug Advance. although I prefer NG and NGP MS games more. Actually, that list is smaller than I was expecting when i first looked at it. Hmmm. Is Harmony and Circle of Moon any good? Don't own those, but I di have Aria, not the biggest fan of it. Oh and yes, the Zero series is hard. But for all the wrong reasons. Or at least I believe so.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emerald_Warrior

So you enjoyed being ripped off paying full price for NES ports? Containmomentum

Why would I pay full price for games from 2 generations ago?

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

My Favorite GBA Games:

Castlevania: Classic NES SeriesCastlevania: Aria of SorrowCastlevania: Circle of the MoonCastlevania: Harmony of DissonanceContra Advance: The Alien WarsDonkey Kong Country 1 & 2Doom 1 & 2Final Fight OneThe Legend of Zelda: Classic NES SeriesThe Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Four Swords EditionThe Legend of Zelda: Minish CapMega Man Zero 1-3 (But DANG, are they hard!)Metal Slug AdvanceMetroid: FusionMetroid: Zero MissionPinball of the DeadSonic Advance 1-3Spider-Man: Mysterio's MenaceSuper Mario Advance 1, 2, & 4 (I never was a fan of Yoshi's Island, sorry)Super Mario Bros.: Classic NES SeriesTony Hawk seriesWolfenstein 3-DZelda II: The Adventure of Link: Classic NES Series

My Favorite NDS Games:

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (I can't solve the slide puzzles in Dawn of Sorrow :( )Contra 4The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Spirits Tracks SUCKED!)Metal Slug 7Metroid Prime: HuntersMetroid Prime: PinballNew Super Mario Bros.Ninja Gaiden: Dragon SwordResident Evil: Deadly SilenceSonic Rush (I haven't played Colors yet, and even though Rush is good, I still think the Advance series is better)Super Scribblenauts (I still haven't played the original Scribblenauts, yet)

Containmomentum

So you enjoyed being ripped off paying full price for NES ports? That aside, interesting list (although noticed Zero 4 didn't make it or any other GBA MM game.) I liked Metal Slug Advance. although I prefer NG and NGP MS games more. Actually, that list is smaller than I was expecting when i first looked at it. Hmmm. Is Harmony and Circle of Moon any good? Don't own those, but I di have Aria, not the biggest fan of it. Oh and yes, the Zero series is hard. But for all the wrong reasons. Or at least I believe so.

I'm playing Harmony of Dissonance now and I don't like it as much as I liked Aria of Sorrow. Mostly just because going between Castle A and B is annoying. I've yet to play CotM but I've heard that it is a very hard game, but really fun.

EDIT: I'm not saying HoD isn't good, because it is actually very good.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I personally liked GBA's library better but DS' wasn't/isn't shabby either.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Was thinking this the other day, the GBA was prety much the height of the Game Boy line and actually had a lot of good games instead of like, 3 or so hehe, well in comparison anyway. The DS, while the two screen think was new and it had better graphics, I believe the GBA was the better system. I think the Game Boy line, which was slowly loosing a lot of ground after the GBC into the GBA, was coming back with the GBA where there was great first and third party support and great games as well as some good ports. The DS games just lacked any real original gameplay, or when they did, seemed like either thee was no effort put in, or gameplay became stale. See the two DS Zelda games for example. (Then again, minish Cap was pretty bad too however...) Which did you find better?Containmomentum

I would say the GBA library is a bit better because it had some steller RPG's and RPG ports. Not to mention 2 incredible fun Metroid games.

I completely DISAGREE with you with regards to Zelda Minish Cap... I thought that game was fantastic. I did not really like the DS Zeldas but Minish cap was fantastic on all levels to me.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Personally I enjoyed GBA more than DS, but they are both great consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I'd take the GBA library over the DS library. But both do have pretty good libraries.

Emerald_Warrior
DS Lite, and take both :twisted:
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

GBA

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

That's tough. Just based on my feelings without any real rationalization: GBA.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I'd have to go with the GBA as I played a lot of the SNES remakes on it for the first time and immensely enjoyed them.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah pretty much. I loved my GBA and I have a lot of fond memories. I love my DS too, but I was more excited in general for most games for the GBA over the DS.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
I was with you until you bashed minish cap.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I was with you until you bashed minish cap. 4NGoods
It would be nice if more zelda games were made like minish cap. I played the DS zelda games, they were in 3D, but the art style of Minish Cap was more likeable.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="4NGoods"]I was with you until you bashed minish cap. hydralisk86
It would be nice if more zelda games were made like minish cap. I played the DS zelda games, they were in 3D, but the art style of Minish Cap was more likeable.

+1

Except I only enjoyed Phantom Hourglass. I really didn't like Spirit Tracks, at all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#33 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Most of the handheld games have usually had sequels on the DS from the GBA.

I played RSE first and loved it, after a few Pokemon games on the DS, I can say they have eclipsed RSE.

Castlevania DoS is better than AoS (from what I've played of Aria of Sorrow).

I haven't played any DS sequels to SuperStar Saga and Minish Cap, but I liked those two.

Overall, it slightly goes to the DS, mainly because it's more of a "look and you shall be greatly rewarded" system than the GBA.

But I'm surprised how big and in depth overworlds existed on the GBA. It's crazy.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Both have great libraris, but the DS has more to offer with roughly double the lifespan of the GBA.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
The DS was the first handheld I bought since my parents got me the original Gameboy... And it wasn't even for the stupid touch screen, there were just so many original games. All I remember about the GBA were ports, spin-offs, and shovelware. There was nothing like Coropata or Kumatanchi to get my attention
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
It's neck and neck, but I feel the GBA wins out by an inch.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19570 Posts

I was never a big fan of the GBA, so I'd choose the DS, which has a much larger library and a lot more games I enjoyed.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I was never a big fan of the GBA, so I'd choose the DS, which has a much larger library and a lot more games I enjoyed.

Jag85
I think the DS was my first system, and i played tons of game for that one, so i'm more biased towards that...I have a few games for the GBA, so that might add to it. I thought the DS games were pretty good.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
GBA. There's so much garbage in the ds library. I also just prefer the form factor. I own a gab, ds lite, psp, and 3ds yet I still tend to toss. Thegba in the bag.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

For me, the DS.