Gamestop (EB )- Selling you an Open Game for Full Price - Yay or Nay? *POLL*

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I went to EB yesterday to buy a couple of games, and the guy tries to sell me an opened copy of a game for full price. It's got stickers on the case, and has been left unsealed on the shelf for any goober to come along and touch with his grubby hands.

I refused to buy the game based on those reasons, and the fact that I'd never be sure I got all the inserts that originally came with the game. Plus, the disc had been removed and placed in to a sleeve. It just rubbed me wrong.

Someone needs to tell these guys that isn't acceptable. Maybe I'm being fussy, but if I'm paying full price for the game, it had better be shrink wrapped and guaranteed complete. Plus, the stickers being placed directly on the game case is assinine. You either get a horrible sticker stuck on there forever, glue residue, or some sort of imperfection on the case caused by trying to remove the sticker.

Do you think the practice of selling opened, tampered-with games as being brand-new is acceptable?
Vote and/or state your opinion. Thanks.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Definitely not acceptable. If any package has been opened, it loses its value immediately, in my opinion. There is no way to tell as a customer that something's been tampered with. That's why is loses its value. Why would I buy an opened copy at full price when I can get another unopened one elsewhere?
Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
Recently discovered this in HMV here in england, took the box to the till (Mass effect 3) thinking he would then swap it for a sealed copy but he just took the disk and manual out the draw and put it on the box. Didn't know they were allowed to do this as it's just like buying it used. Was worried my online pass wouldn't be there.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Ya, not the least bit acceptable...Gamestop/ebgames is horrible for things like that though and it's happened to me as well but I'd always say I want a sealed copy. but even then who knows because they've sold resealed games before.

and lol @ anygoober to come along and touch with his grubby hands...that's hilarious, I feel the same way, I buy my used games from this smaller game shop in my area and the traffic there is pretty high, whenever I bring a game home, i'll take it out and put it in my ps3, then leave the case to sit there for a couple days without touching it because the amount of dirty ass people i've seen in there, snotty kids eye level with the games coughing all over them...gross.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Why would anyone say this is okay?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
It's annoying but the practice has been going on forever. Sometimes people try on a pair of jeans before you buy them, sometimes people test drive a car before you buy it, etc..
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

That's totally not acceptable. They should sell it at around 35% of its original price. However, since I live in Dubai currently, I don't care as all the games here are sold in original packaging.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
While I will only buy sealed games, I do understand why they do this. They only unseal 1 copy of a game and will only sell it if it is their last copy. This allows them to have a case on the wall so that customers can see it.

Ultimately the reason they can get away with this is because the vast majority of customers simply don't care about it. Gamestop won't ever change what they are doing based on the minority.

It is also why you see games decreasing in their initial trade value. Recently released games that use to get you $30-$35 in trade value back 5+ years ago, now get you $20-$25. Gamestop was able to lower the values because most customers didn't care about this loss of $10-15.

Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts
The Gamestop I used to shop at would always did that. They would keep some sealed behind the counter in a drawer. Whenever I would buy a game from them, I told them I wanted a sealed copy. They would give it to me no problem, but if you didn't specifically request a sealed copy, they would always give you an open copy. If they couldn't give me a sealed copy, I would leave and get it from another store. It's a horrible policy, but I don't ever see them stopping it.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

unacceptable

plastic wrap violated = used price

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Absolutely not. It is no longer new. It's like new and should be sold for less.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Why would you go to the wall to buy a new game? Just go to the desk and request said game and if it's new enough, they'll have plenty of factory sealed copies. This isn't rocket science and no one is forcing you to buy that opened one as new. If they are sold out of sealed ones, either suck it up or move on.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Why would you go to the wall to buy a new game? Just go to the desk and request said game and if it's new enough, they'll have plenty of factory sealed copies. This isn't rocket science and no one is forcing you to buy that opened one as new. If they are sold out of sealed ones, either suck it up or move on.

In my case I went to the till, and he said it was his last copy so that was my only option. So ya, I moved on.

"No one is forcing you to buy it" is a completely lame comment and really has no merit in this conversation. It's simple: Do you consider an opened, tampered with game the same thing as a new one? Apparently you do, so you either work at EB or you just like to disagree with anything, no matter how absurd.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yusuke420

I don't work there, but I understand what it is they do, they aren't tampering with anything. They get a shipment of lets say 25 or 30 of a said game. They open one or two copies for the display, simply to remove the game from the case so it doesn't get stolen. It goes straight into the sleave and isn't touched until the last sealed copy is sold. What would you have them do? Leave the game in the case so someone could just walk in and get a 60 dollar game? Should they lose money on a new game because they simply opened it? No, this is the problem with gamers, they are spoiled brats who don't live in the real world. They aren't doing this to screw you over as an "evil" corperation, it's simply a tactic to combat shrink.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 branketra

Yusuke420
Screw that. Don't open it then sell it as new. Sell it as like new (opened, untested) or used (opened, tested) or that's fraud.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

BranKetra

Screw that. Don't open it then sell it as new. Sell it as like new (opened, untested) or used (opened, tested) or that's fraud.

Your being unreasonable. Nothing has happend to the game, it goes from being in the sealed case, directly to the holding case in the drawer. It's not anything but a new copy and the claim otherwise is just being childish over a very practical way to prevent theft. What do you think happens? That they take them home and play them?

Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

I don't work there, but I understand what it is they do, they aren't tampering with anything. They get a shipment of lets say 25 or 30 of a said game. They open one or two copies for the display, simply to remove the game from the case so it doesn't get stolen. It goes straight into the sleave and isn't touched until the last sealed copy is sold. What would you have them do? Leave the game in the case so someone could just walk in and get a 60 dollar game? Should they lose money on a new game because they simply opened it? No, this is the problem with gamers, they are spoiled brats who don't live in the real world. They aren't doing this to screw you over as an "evil" corperation, it's simply a tactic to combat shrink.

Yusuke420
Why don't they do what a lot of stores do here (tesco etc) were the game is in a plastic casing which can only be opened at the tills? No one can steal it then, and you still get a sealed copy.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yusuke420

They get broken after so long and cost tons to buy more and more, Think about it they have 20 or 30 games for each system that could be considered new. it just too much to deal with. That could be a viable solution, but it honestly doesn't matter to me because the game is still new. They have a shrink wrap machine if you wand the feel of opening something or it's a present or something.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

I went to EB yesterday to buy a couple of games, and the guy tries to sell me an opened copy of a game for full price. It's got stickers on the case, and has been left unsealed on the shelf for any goober to come along and touch with his grubby hands.

I refused to buy the game based on those reasons, and the fact that I'd never be sure I got all the inserts that originally came with the game. Plus, the disc had been removed and placed in to a sleeve. It just rubbed me wrong.

Someone needs to tell these guys that isn't acceptable. Maybe I'm being fussy, but if I'm paying full price for the game, it had better be shrink wrapped and guaranteed complete. Plus, the stickers being placed directly on the game case is assinine. You either get a horrible sticker stuck on there forever, glue residue, or some sort of imperfection on the case caused by trying to remove the sticker.

Do you think the practice of selling opened, tampered-with games as being brand-new is acceptable?

Conjuration

Yea, I agree with you. It's complete BS.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

Yusuke420

No, wrong. They actually let their employees sample those opened games, Gamestop has a policy allowing employees to borrow a game for a specific time for free. I have bought the same games from the sleeve and they have had fingerprints on them and such. It sucks but I understand why they do it.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#21 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Nay. I'm happy to buy used games, so long as I pay the used price.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#22 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Yusuke420

If they wanted to, they could get an empty "display" case from the manufacturere to gon on the shelf. Or they could keep all the new games sealed but on display behind the counter. There's no need to open the games before they sell them.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

Your being unreasonable. Nothing has happend to the game, it goes from being in the sealed case, directly to the holding case in the drawer. It's not anything but a new copy and the claim otherwise is just being childish over a very practical way to prevent theft. What do you think happens? That they take them home and play them?

-I know; that is the point. The standards have already been set. They are trying to act like they don't matter.

-Some people do take them home. I had a friend who used to work in Gamestop and he would do that. Though, I doubt it was the "new" copies.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Fully agree with you, TC, and that is why I have never spent money at such places. When I buy new, I better damn well get new. I hate places that try to pull that crap on me.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777

It's annoying but the practice has been going on forever. Sometimes people try on a pair of jeans before you buy them, sometimes people test drive a car before you buy it, etc..MethodManFTW
A car needs to be tested out. If you're going to spend thousands of whatever currency you deal in, then one has to make sure it's a great investment. What's more, jeans need to fit. Video games, though? There is no worry of them not fitting or being uncomfortable to navigate, leading to possible death. It's just a video game. No need to open it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777

Yusuke420

If it is factory sealed, how would the game get stolen? Getting the wrapping off is a pain in the ass. How would a thief get off the wrapping in a store with employees and other customers and likely security cameras too? I'll be extra curious to hear the answer ti this.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Nercay

Why don't they do what a lot of stores do here (tesco etc) were the game is in a plastic casing which can only be opened at the tills? No one can steal it then, and you still get a sealed copy.

Heck, I have seen Tesco print off cheap covers and put them in DVD boxes to indicate that they sell the game. You can then go to a counter and get a sealed copy. Sounds like a better solution.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Headpopper333

No, wrong. They actually let their employees sample those opened games, Gamestop has a policy allowing employees to borrow a game for a specific time for free. I have bought the same games from the sleeve and they have had fingerprints on them and such. It sucks but I understand why they do it.

I have read this too. That literally makes the game a used copy. Letting employees sample a game, really?

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yusuke420

First of all it might happen, but I'm pretty sure corporate brass would be PISSED if they found out employees were taking the games home, even the used ones. This is a slap fight about nothing because you can get factory sealed copies from Gamestop. You don't have to take the one or two that end up opened, it's not like they open all of them. Even if it was opened, the game is still new, it hasn't been used and you get everything that came with it. Hell, most of the cases still have a new game smell.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

When they get games, they get X number of copies.

They take 1-2 copies, and open them as a display model.

The disk and inserts go into the desk.

The rest of the copies sit under the counter, sealed.

So if you want a sealed copy, you go to the desk and ask for one.

If they don't have it, then you either take the display model, or go to another store.

The alternative to that would be to use those clunky plastic security things with a chain attached.

But #1 those things cost money, #2 people sometimes cut the chain with pliers and run out with it. #3 they don't look/feel inviting

A smarter way would be to print out the game cover, put it in a generic case, and use that as a display model.

Anyway this is how running a business works.

If you want a sealed copy them ask for it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts
This is really the only thing that bothers me about this place. I've seen like 20 to 30 copies of a game gutted so they can put the empty cases up on display. How this is legally acceptable is beyond me. I don't care if someone with white gloves has opened the game not even 5 minutes before. If I'm buying a new game then I want to be the one to unwrap it. This is the reason I almost never buy from them.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hexagon_777
How come this seems to pertain just to games? Never seen this happen with DVDs or BRDs.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yusuke420

This is really the only thing that bothers me about this place. I've seen like 20 to 30 copies of a game gutted so they can put the empty cases up on display. How this is legally acceptable is beyond me. I don't care if someone with white gloves has opened the game not even 5 minutes before. If I'm buying a new game then I want to be the one to unwrap it. This is the reason I almost never buy from them.Archangel3371
I'm not buying this, if your store is doing this, call the regional manager and they'll fix that. Why do you guys think a place called Gamestop, is anti-gamer is beyond me.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I don't buy from them anymore. Amazon Prime+Release Day Shipping+No Sales Tax FTW.

Why anyone does is baffling to me.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 branketra

First of all it might happen, but I'm pretty sure corporate brass would be PISSED if they found out employees were taking the games home, even the used ones. This is a slap fight about nothing because you can get factory sealed copies from Gamestop. You don't have to take the one or two that end up opened, it's not like they open all of them. Even if it was opened, the game is still new, it hasn't been used and you get everything that came with it. Hell, most of the cases still have a new game smell.

Yusuke420
It probably is against store policy to take the games home. As far as the sealed vs unsealed games argument goes, you're missing the point. We don't have to buy that, but they aren't supposed to sell it, which is far more important...because people will buy it and the proof is in this thread.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]This is really the only thing that bothers me about this place. I've seen like 20 to 30 copies of a game gutted so they can put the empty cases up on display. How this is legally acceptable is beyond me. I don't care if someone with white gloves has opened the game not even 5 minutes before. If I'm buying a new game then I want to be the one to unwrap it. This is the reason I almost never buy from them.Yusuke420

I'm not buying this, if your store is doing this, call the regional manager and they'll fix that. Why do you guys think a place called Gamestop, is anti-gamer is beyond me.

Oh yeah I've seen the really big game releases have a couple rows of game cases on the wall. I'm not saying they're anti-gamer but buying something already opened is something that I will not tolerate.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

Go to the counter ask for a sealed copy easy as that if they don't have one leave and go to wal-mart.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20982 Posts
I always turn down purchases when only an opened "new" copy is available. If it's not new and FACTORY-sealed (some places will try to fool you with this stupid stretchy re-sealing crap), I'll look for the game in question elsewhere.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371

Go to the counter ask for a sealed copy easy as that if they don't have one leave and go to wal-mart.

ReviewerDrake
That's exactly what I did but after a few times there really was no point in me wasting my time doing that so now I just don't bother going there anymore except for the very rare occasion like picking up Xenoblade Chronicles.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Conjuration
You're overreacting. They remove the games from the cases in order to protect their inventory. Besides, it's their last copy, otherwise they set the empty case aside and pull you a fresh one from behind the counter. If you're that concerned, inspect the disc. The case is just gonna sit sandwiched between two other cases. So who cares if it's got a sticker or a bit of residue?
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o
COkay, a couple of things: 1. Gamestop's policy is that employees are encouraged to borrow USED games in order to gain experience with specific titles and to be able to make good recommendations. New copies are still new. 2.
If it is factory sealed, how would the game get stolen? Getting the wrapping off is a pain in the ass... Hexagon_777
Are you serious? Try slipping the whole case into a pocket, down the front of your pants, under your jacket- there are any number of ways to do it.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Hexagon_777

If it is factory sealed, how would the game get stolen? Getting the wrapping off is a pain in the ass. How would a thief get off the wrapping in a store with employees and other customers and likely security cameras too? I'll be extra curious to hear the answer ti this.

If it's factory sealed how would it get stolen? Getting the shrink wrap off isn't a pain in the ass, it's simple. A box cutter and it's gone. It's rather easy to do it quietly. But whats the point? If you're going to steal it, just take the whole case.. be stupid not to.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shame-usBlackley

COkay, a couple of things: 1. Gamestop's policy is that employees are encouraged to borrow USED games in order to gain experience with specific titles and to be able to make good recommendations. New copies are still new. El_Zo1212o

I would imagine this is true. I used to work for Software Etc. about 20 years ago, and one of the main reasons I kept the job was because I was able to take home two titles at any time. The manager would open them, give me the carts, and when I returned them, he had shrinkwrap sleeves that he'd reseal them with. They didn't have used games to draw from at that point.

It was a nice policy for an employee of Software Etc., but it was kind of a dick move to a customer. Although, back then returns were much more relaxed than they are now anyway, so whether it was an employee that opened the copy or a resealed copy returned by a customer, it was kind of all the same. There has always been a really flabby definition of what constitutes "new" at retail anyway.

Regardless, I don't buy from them anymore not because I may not be the first person to play my copy of Game X, but because I can get the games for less elsewhere, usually just as fast, and I don't have to smell nerd sweat or peel a bunch of stickers off my game case.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]If it is factory sealed, how would the game get stolen? Getting the wrapping off is a pain in the ass... El_Zo1212o
Are you serious? Try slipping the whole case into a pocket, down the front of your pants, under your jacket- there are any number of ways to do it.

I am as serious as can be. I have really not seen this implemented anywhere else. Apparently DVDs, BRDs, CDs, and others are exempt from this rule. Apparently only gamers are thieves.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

dotWithShoes

If it's factory sealed how would it get stolen? Getting the shrink wrap off isn't a pain in the ass, it's simple. A box cutter and it's gone. It's rather easy to do it quietly. But whats the point? If you're going to steal it, just take the whole case.. be stupid not to.

So no customers, store employees, or security cameras would ever notice, huh? Silly. Why can't they secure the whole package while it's still factory sealed? By this logic, I could go into a supermarket and fill my pants up with small items.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hexagon_777

I believe it's the fact that you can get games elsewhere for less while still being factory sealed that annoys many. Why pay more for something that "some goober touched with his grubby hands?"

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Would never accept it.

Luckily, here they sell used games clearly as used, and in the case of rare gems I'd even be willing to accept a lot of damage done to the disc (as long as it's still functional of course), for example Dark Cloud, found it surprisingly in a GameSpot for 15 ?, clearly printed on the case: "Used", and the manual was missing and the owner before me thought it would be cool to write his name with a red edding on the frontside of the disc.

I stil bought it and had a great time with it, wished I owned this game much earlier, was certainly searching for it for about 10 years. But trying to selling me something as damaged as this for new would be considered fraud in front of any court I'd say.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No. That's one of many reasons I haven't been in a Gamestop in years. New = unopened.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shame-usBlackley

No. That's one of many reasons I haven't been in a Gamestop in years. New = unopened.

Jackc8

It's kind of a nebulous term, though, isn't it?

I bought a truck four years ago with 9 miles on it -- was it new?

I saw a lady returning panties (of all things, opened and unpackaged; likely worn) at the cologne counter at a Dillard's a week ago -- are those still considered new?

I myself have returned a number of different articles of clothing I've received for the holidays that I tried on once and decided I didn't like -- I can assure you those were retagged and put right back on the shelf as new.

All of these were "like new," but they were not "new" in the truest sense of the word. Video games are no different, the sole difference being that if, say, I walked into a Gamestop and bought one of their opened box new games, put it in the mail with a bow as a birthday present to my brother, who gets it in the mail and says "MGS4 wtf man, I'm selling dis!" and there is not a Gamestop close to him or the local store won't take it, he's essentially stuck with an open box game that hasn't been used, but would be considered used by every retail outlet he tried to return it to. This is absolutely wrong.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]If it is factory sealed, how would the game get stolen? Getting the wrapping off is a pain in the ass... Hexagon_777

I am as serious as can be. I have really not seen this implemented anywhere else. Apparently DVDs, BRDs, CDs, and others are exempt from this rule. Apparently only gamers are thieves.

Or it could be that a new game sells for 3x the amount of a new BluRay...