gamespot popular partly cause of web adress?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KonKing
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
now im not saying its the reason gamespot is the most popular gaming site on the net, but the fact that if you search videogames.com it brings you to gamespot has a small faction of why its popular. i just had a flashback when i was looking at some stuff of how i came across it 5 years ago (by searching www.videogames.com). its come so far...
as9332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 as9332
Member since 2005 • 1196 Posts
Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.
Younggun135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Younggun135
Member since 2006 • 1853 Posts
yeah and people get confused with gamespot.com and gamestop.com
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.as9332
*Must...resist...*
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

[QUOTE="as9332"]Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.yodariquo
*Must...resist...*

Just do it man!

fepepinar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fepepinar
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts

[QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="as9332"]Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.F1Lengend

*Must...resist...*

Just do it man!

Do it, do it, you have our support!

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.as9332

Honestly, I think its less that, than the layout, and eye-candy the main page has. It's flashy, professional looking, and the whole "scoring" system is very appealing. Who's to say who's review is better than whoevers. It's all about business ethics. If it can catch your eye, more people will be attracted to it. The more interactive, the better. Thus the polls on the main page, and all the sweet little hot links (videos, quick access to screenshots, and of course, the current most popular games). I still miss Gamespy's weekly grudge matches :(
as9332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 as9332
Member since 2005 • 1196 Posts

[QUOTE="as9332"]Its definately a part of it but the reason people keep coming back is the quality of their reviews.0rin

Honestly, I think its less that, than the layout, and eye-candy the main page has. It's flashy, professional looking, and the whole "scoring" system is very appealing. Who's to say who's review is better than whoevers. It's all about business ethics. If it can catch your eye, more people will be attracted to it. The more interactive, the better. Thus the polls on the main page, and all the sweet little hot links (videos, quick access to screenshots, and of course, the current most popular games). I still miss Gamespy's weekly grudge matches :(

Ok.. I guess I phrased it wrong. Thats the reason I keep coming back and few other people I know.. obviously I don't speak for everyone cuz most people here seem to hate gamespot reviews just because they don't agree with the scores.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

I'm sure it helped at the start but seriously who surfs the net by typing in what they want .com anymore?

Anyway if they did a bad job I'm sure people wouldn't come back to the site. People visiting for the first time is nice but I'm guessing that Gamespot's work is what keeps them around.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
I guess it does help gamespot somewhat that a search for video games brings their website as one of the top results.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

It´s because GS has the best libary of games.You search a title and you almost fiend something,even if only released in japan,europe or USA.The Review Quality is one thing,but thankfully they give people the chanche to see reviews of peoples and other pages like this one.

That´s why I´m happy to post my Post Nr.2000 to this tread :D

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 stafax
Member since 2005 • 1596 Posts

I'm sure it helped at the start but seriously who surfs the net by typing in what they want .com anymore?

Anyway if they did a bad job I'm sure people wouldn't come back to the site. People visiting for the first time is nice but I'm guessing that Gamespot's work is what keeps them around.

duxup
that's what got me to keep visiting back a few years ago. But now it's just the fact that I've been visiting this site for so long, it's just more of a habbit to come to this site. I personally loved the reviews, especially from Kassavin. But since he left, and the fact that they simplified the rating system, I haven't liked the reviews as much as they use to be. Although, I still keep coming, and like I said before, mainly because of the fact that I've been visiting this site for about 6 or 7 years or so.
Chandler_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Chandler_UK
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

For me it's a mix between the layout (compared to alot of websites, IGN i'm looking at you, Gamespot just makes alot of sense,) the fact that the staff really make an effort with their community events (Tourny T.V, Video revews, On the spot, Hotspot and others) and the huge active community.

All those elements really make it seem like true effort has been made to show off how great video games can be, and combined they make probably the best gaming resource on the planet. Apart from their download service, which is down right atrocious.

Keep up the good work Gamespot...apart from your download staff who will be flayed.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
Great---2 treads with the same content...
southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
*shrugs* I don't think it matters, but it can't have done it any harm. There are a great number of reasons why GameSpot has such an active community, but I think regular updated content, accurate gaming news and quality reviews have something to do with it as well.
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
Gamepot.com used to be called Videogames.com
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
Gamestop.com used to be named Videogames.com
W3dotCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 W3dotCOM
Member since 2005 • 1942 Posts
That's because it used to be called videogames.com before it was baught out. Besides teh company that owns gamespot also owns TV.com and MP3.com to name a few. That's the whole point.
mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
It could be just by the name you know it's a place for games. But people who dont know websites too well will think whats IGN?