Games that stand the test of time?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dchase2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dchase2k8
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts

What are some games that came out 10, 15, and even 20 yrs ago that haven't been antiquated by technological advancements in graphics and game mechanics?

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#2 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Phantasy Star on Master System. Breathtaking..
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts

anyone of the games in the ff series. mario games, zelda games, sonic 1 and 2(the other ones were just kinda crapy)

dameon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dameon51
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

I don't think anyone can argue starcraft. They still sell them in stores.

Lots of nintendo's first part games, particularily mario.

Diablo 1 maybe, or is that just me?

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daavpuke

I don't think anyone can argue starcraft. They still sell them in stores.

Lots of nintendo's first part games, particularily mario.

Diablo 1 maybe, or is that just me?

dameon51
In that case, I'd say Diablo II, not I.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

cannon/gunspike

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Tetris would be an great example. Regardless of how HD Technology / Blu ray /Current push to 3D Televisions. You can only make a puzzle matching block game look so good. Tetris is a game concept that doesn't need Ultra fanatasic graphics to be fun. Even People who have never played Tetris know that it is a videogame. Just like Pac Man or everyone knows that Mario is a videogame character even if they never have play any of the games.

Finally Tetris is addictive

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts

transport tycoon

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts
Chrono Trigger for sure.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

every FPS thats made from rare or free radical design, almost all my snes games

silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silentfox13
Member since 2010 • 347 Posts

dungeon of dagorath on TRS-80 but it's not on console but that was an unique game concept never reinvented yet.i say that if a game have to be release and keeping the same game concept.then that game could be awesome:P

silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silentfox13
Member since 2010 • 347 Posts

Phantasy Star on Master System. Breathtaking..Daavpuke

agreed:)

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Chrono Trigger for sure.slimdave21

This, Chrono Cross, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy 7,9 and God of War 2.

Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts
Magic Sword Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Typing of the Dead Tomba Galaga Ms. Pac-Man.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think FF7 doesn't stand the test of time well even though it made such a huge impact at the time when I go back it just isn't so impressive.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#17 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

GoldenEye 007 stands pretty good today-- I'm playing it now. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Blast Corps also stand well. My only major complaint is that the older graphics don't display well on a big-screen TV, so I pull out my 15-inch TV for them. They work fine on that.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Ape Escape and Castlevania

Typing of the Dead is certainly timeless as well.

dameon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dameon51

Tetris would be an great example. Regardless of how HD Technology / Blu ray /Current push to 3D Televisions. You can only make a puzzle matching block game look so good. Tetris is a game concept that doesn't need Ultra fanatasic graphics to be fun. Even People who have never played Tetris know that it is a videogame. Just like Pac Man or everyone knows that Mario is a videogame character even if they never have play any of the games.

Finally Tetris is addictive

Megavideogamer

Agreed that Tetris is a prime example

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

chrono trigger

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
sometime i felt i was watching a movie in ninja gaiden NES..
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

sometime i felt i was watching a movie in ninja gaiden NES..kingdavid562

Till you get a game over screen all because of a stupid bird...

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Well lets see....

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy 6

Ninja Gaiden trilogy on the NES

Any Kirby game really

Persona 2

Dragon Warrior

Cannon Spike

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

DOA2

Power Stone 1 and 2

Soul Calibur

Shenmue

and theres tons more.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdavid562"]sometime i felt i was watching a movie in ninja gaiden NES..fend_oblivion

Till you get a game over screen all because of a stupid bird...

lol I laugh because I feel your pain. You're talking about those stupid ones that home in on you and swoop down right at you. As for the initial question. I feel that platformers stand the test of time the best. Give a Mario, Sonic, or Donkey Kong Country game to any young gamer or a gamer that has never played them, and I guarantee you 9 out 10 of them will have a blast with that game. -Nate-
GlottisJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GlottisJR
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Any SNES RPG really ;)
dezzyfiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dezzyfiesta
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

I reckon Okami would stand up pretty well in a decade or two.

Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

Most RPGs and platformers take the test of time well. Rare's games on the 64 were also of a high quality, and I still enjoy playing them. NES games are fun still, if not for nostalgia factor.

AznfreshXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AznfreshXD
games that have outdated grahpics lets see any game that is 2D
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Most of the SEGA arcade games from the 80s and 90s. Unsurprisingly A lot of them still look and play beautifuly.

Namco and Konami were also godly at the arcades during this period.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior
Everyone keeps saying RPGs, really?! Why do you guys think RPGs stand the test of time? Sure, RPGs have some great stories, even still, but past the stories they date themselves badly. Have you guys really tried to play a game like Dragon Warrior classic, Phantasy Star classic, Breath of Fire classic, or Eye of the Beholder recently? The graphics and story aren't so bad (well except for Dragon Warrior), but the gameplay is relentless. Random battles every 2 seconds, which results in either crazy grinding, or dying horribly. And the turn-based battle systems are very archaic and very limited on your options (usually fight, block, magic, or run). RPGs have gone so much further nowadays, it's insane. Look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, and Final Fantasy 10-13. You can choose from multiple classes, jobs, guilds, and missions. You have 1000s of enemy types, and as many enemy types as there were in those old RPGs there are as many NPCs in modern games. The games and areas themselves dwarf the areas and games of the the old days. And most importantly, battle-systems in most modern RPGs are actually fun. You don't get in random battles every 2 seconds. Many RPGs are in real-time. And the ones that aren't in real-time have multiple spells, abilities, moves, and options to choose from instead of the the archaic 4-choice system of the old RPGs.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

FF6

Super Metroid

Shenmue

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

Everyone keeps saying RPGs, really?! Why do you guys think RPGs stand the test of time? Sure, RPGs have some great stories, even still, but past the stories they date themselves badly. Have you guys really tried to play a game like Dragon Warrior classic, Phantasy Star classic, Breath of Fire classic, or Eye of the Beholder recently? The graphics and story aren't so bad (well except for Dragon Warrior), but the gameplay is relentless. Random battles every 2 seconds, which results in either crazy grinding, or dying horribly. And the turn-based battle systems are very archaic and very limited on your options (usually fight, block, magic, or run). RPGs have gone so much further nowadays, it's insane. Look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, and Final Fantasy 10-13. You can choose from multiple classes, jobs, guilds, and missions. You have 1000s of enemy types, and as many enemy types as there were in those old RPGs there are as many NPCs in modern games. The games and areas themselves dwarf the areas and games of the the old days. And most importantly, battle-systems in most modern RPGs are actually fun. You don't get in random battles every 2 seconds. Many RPGs are in real-time. And the ones that aren't in real-time have multiple spells, abilities, moves, and options to choose from instead of the the archaic 4-choice system of the old RPGs.Emerald_Warrior

Completely disagree. The only classic games that I continue to play to this day are RPGs and Platformers. I think that those two genres are really the only ones that stand the test of time (and ofc puzzle games like Tetris too). I can see your point about RPGs nowadays being a lot more in-depth, but I don't think that depth is necessarily a must for an RPG to be good. I think a good RPG is a good story, likeable characters, awesome quests (both main and side quests), and a sense of reward after you play/complete it. Using that criteria, there is no reason that an older RPG can't still be great.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Kid Chameleon, Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Metriod. There are so many......

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]Everyone keeps saying RPGs, really?! Why do you guys think RPGs stand the test of time? Sure, RPGs have some great stories, even still, but past the stories they date themselves badly. Have you guys really tried to play a game like Dragon Warrior classic, Phantasy Star classic, Breath of Fire classic, or Eye of the Beholder recently? The graphics and story aren't so bad (well except for Dragon Warrior), but the gameplay is relentless. Random battles every 2 seconds, which results in either crazy grinding, or dying horribly. And the turn-based battle systems are very archaic and very limited on your options (usually fight, block, magic, or run). RPGs have gone so much further nowadays, it's insane. Look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, and Final Fantasy 10-13. You can choose from multiple classes, jobs, guilds, and missions. You have 1000s of enemy types, and as many enemy types as there were in those old RPGs there are as many NPCs in modern games. The games and areas themselves dwarf the areas and games of the the old days. And most importantly, battle-systems in most modern RPGs are actually fun. You don't get in random battles every 2 seconds. Many RPGs are in real-time. And the ones that aren't in real-time have multiple spells, abilities, moves, and options to choose from instead of the the archaic 4-choice system of the old RPGs.

Recent RPG's just built upon the cornerstone of a great game, that is an older RPG. That's why really. Those games were and still are great, but now we're blessed with even greater things. And the old fashioned turn-based system isn't that bad. It's still used in strategy games made today. The old RPG's in most cases aren't horribly awkward to play (except for eye of the beholder and such dungeon crawler types) and due to having the fundamentals required for a great game and nothing else, it still remains a great game.
dameon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dameon51

Everyone keeps saying RPGs, really?! Why do you guys think RPGs stand the test of time? Sure, RPGs have some great stories, even still, but past the stories they date themselves badly. Have you guys really tried to play a game like Dragon Warrior classic, Phantasy Star classic, Breath of Fire classic, or Eye of the Beholder recently? The graphics and story aren't so bad (well except for Dragon Warrior), but the gameplay is relentless. Random battles every 2 seconds, which results in either crazy grinding, or dying horribly. And the turn-based battle systems are very archaic and very limited on your options (usually fight, block, magic, or run). RPGs have gone so much further nowadays, it's insane. Look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, and Final Fantasy 10-13. You can choose from multiple classes, jobs, guilds, and missions. You have 1000s of enemy types, and as many enemy types as there were in those old RPGs there are as many NPCs in modern games. The games and areas themselves dwarf the areas and games of the the old days. And most importantly, battle-systems in most modern RPGs are actually fun. You don't get in random battles every 2 seconds. Many RPGs are in real-time. And the ones that aren't in real-time have multiple spells, abilities, moves, and options to choose from instead of the the archaic 4-choice system of the old RPGs.Emerald_Warrior

Actually, now that you put it that way, I think I agree with you. The old rpg's I liked were because of story/characters/music. In the old FF games I hated battles actually, which unfortunately made up like 90% of the game.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#36 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Metroid Prime comes to mind. I first beat it last December (on the Wii), and this 2002 original still blew me away. Same goes for the predecessor from 2004.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is from 1998 and still stands as the best sidescrolling platformer imo, even judging by the current standards.

I can still enjoy playing through Paper Mario's (2001) story mode without things feeling too dated.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Most Zelda and Mario games are still alot of fun years after the release.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Metroid Prime comes to mind. I first beat it last December (on the Wii), and this 2002 original still blew me away. Same goes for the predecessor from 2004.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is from 1998 and still stands as the best sidescrolling platformer imo, even judging by the current standards.

I can still enjoy playing through Paper Mario's (2001) story mode without things feeling too dated.

DraugenCP

I agree, Metroid Prime still has fantastic graphics and is alot of fun to this day.

Avatar image for ClassicGamerH20
ClassicGamerH20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 ClassicGamerH20
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts

Most Snes,64,Dreamcast and ps1 games are still masterful to this day. I view games how i view movies just because its old and does not have all the razzle dazzle technology does not mean it doesnt stomp on all this new crap. I love my ps3 and wii (had a 360 piece of crap broke twice) but i love the classics SOOOOO much more they are just far more memorable and fun.

AmateurCEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmateurCEO

Most Snes,64,Dreamcast and ps1 games are still masterful to this day.

ClassicGamerH20
Most? Are you sure? Regarding the SNES, N64 and PS1 especially I think the majority of the titles aren't even worth trying (of course I haven't played the majority of the games either).
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I was playing Kid Chameleon the other day and it's still a lovely looking game and very very playable, even though it's the most unabashed Mario knock-off Sega ever made.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Outcast, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Total Annihilation, Mechwarrior 2 (if you can look past the visuals), Interstate 76 off the top of my head as far as PC games go. oh Another World holds up so well its frightening.
sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#43 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
I'll also cast my vote for Chrono Trigger and the LoZ games.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

Final Fantasy VI.

-ColinR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -ColinR-
Member since 2009 • 424 Posts

Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazzoie and Final Fantasy VII would be my picks.

reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts
Too many to list. Some of my top picks are Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and various Mario and Zelda games.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Megaman 2 and Megaman X on NES / SNES.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#48 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Super Mario Bros 1,3 and World

Super Mario Kart

Sonic 2

Tetris

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting

fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#49 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

I would say Phantasy star for the master and phantasy star 2 and 4 for the gen!

The original zelda is still fun to me

shining the holy ark,nights,panzer dragoon 1 and 2 and sega rally championship for the saturn are still really fun!

I can keep going for a while but now that I think about it there are a lot of games that are that old that are still really good.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Emerald_Warrior

Super Mario Bros 1,3 and World

Super Mario Kart

Sonic 2

Tetris

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting

chocolate1325
Good call on Street Fighter. I can't believe no one else pointed this series out yet, since they are still making 2D Street Fighter games and all.