Gamers insulting old games because of their graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

So, I have a story to share with you all.

A month or so ago, I went to GameForce to buy a game. I was looking around the Playstation section, because I don't have many PS games. I came across Syphon Filter and I asked the dude working there, "Hey, do you know anything about this game? I've heard about it, but I don't know the first thing about it." and he said, "It's pretty good, it's a lot better than the other games in the series. But of course, the graphics aren't that great."

The next day I was talking to my friend at school and he says, "So, have you bought any games recently?" And I said, "Yeah, I just bought Syphon Filter yesterday."

"Is it good?"

"Yeah, but the difficulty is kinda inconsistant."

"How are the graphics?"

"I don't really know what the standard for Playstation games is, so I can't say."

And then my acquantance nearby says, "The standard is CRAP. You're wasting your money." And then he walks off. (If you think that was uncalled for, it's mostly because he was high at the time. I hate it when he comes to school all full of drugs.)

Anyways, this whole Syphon Filter experience really bugged me. Why did the cashier at GameForce tell me that the graphics were bad? Did he think I was buying a PS1 game for graphics? No, I bought it for the GAME. And my druggie acquaintance at school told me that I was wasting my money for buying a game that wasn't current-gen.

So am I the only one who buys games because I want to PLAY them instead of look at them?

(Note: Yes, my druggie acquaintance is a gamer. Well, at least he claims he is.)

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

A month or so ago, I went to GameForce to buy a game. I was looking around the Playstation section, because I don't have many PS games. I came across Syphon Filter and I asked the dude working there, "Hey, do you know anything about this game? I've heard about it, but I don't know the first thing about it." and he said, "It's pretty good, it's a lot better than the other games in the series. But of course, the graphics aren't that great."

The next day I was talking to my friend at school and he says, "So, have you bought any games recently?" And I said, "Yeah, I just bought Syphon Filter yesterday."

"Is it good?"

"How are the graphics?"

"I don't really know what the standard for Playstation games is, so I can't say."

And then my acquantance nearby says, "The standard is CRAP. You're wasting your money." And then he walks off. (If you think that was uncalled for, it's mostly because he was high at the time. I hate it when he comes to school all full of drugs.)

Anyways, this whole Syphon Filter experience really bugged me. Why did the cashier at GameForce tell me that the graphics were bad? Did he think I was buying a PS1 game for graphics? No, I bought it for the GAME. And my druggie acquaintance at school told me that I was wasting my money for buying a game that wasn't current-gen.

So am I the only one who buys games because I want to PLAY them instead of look at them?

(Note: Yes, my druggie acquaintance is a gamer. Well, at least he claims he is.)

AbusementPark

Well... the first thing you notice when you play a game is the way it looks plain and simple, so graphics do matter in gaming, Its no different then women or guys(if you are a girl) the first you that attracts you to a game is the way it looks, sure if the gameplay is terrible you won't play it, but overall you have to look at a game first before you play it.

LasPlagasHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 LasPlagasHope
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
I like resident evil 2, by today's standards of HD graphics like you can't even compare poop to it, but back in the day that was best you could get out of the system and thats how I appriate it's graphics. Gamers should compare graphics to when the game came out so like if you play a game that came out in 1997 you really don't have the right compare to a game that came out in 2007. Like really it's the same as comparing pong to the lastest tennis game.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
I don't do that, because I've been playing old school games for a LOONNG TIME. I've even done the Virtua games, and those are games that define the term "hasn't aged well."
Momo-yan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Momo-yan
Member since 2007 • 444 Posts
A lot of people complain about graphics like that, it bugs me too :( Especially the dated graphics are the ONLY thing stopping them from playing what's otherwise a good game! Well, I guess sucks to be them, because they'll be missing out on a lot of great games. Personally I like the older games a lot more than the new next gen stuff, I was really happy with the games that came out on PS1 and SNES especially...where the graphics of course are not exactly 'astounding'
pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts
Is it weird that sometimes I actually prefer playing games with graphics that aren't as good? I'm not sure why, but it makes me use my imagination more which is actually kinda nice.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Really I think it is just a matter of it is easier to go forwards than backwards. When playing current gen games and then going back to older titles, it's hard NOT to notice the difference.

I think it also depends on when you started playing. If you started to play games in the PS1/N64 or even the PS2/Xbox/GC era going back to older games is probably a bit of a challenge, where as someone like me who started in the Atari days can make the transition easier. I'm sure its not the same way for all long time gamers but I am willing to bet that the percentage is higher. Are these the reasons why some bash older games graphics? Hell if I know, I'm just making a guess.

While I don't agree with the standpoint, I do understand and respect the fact that people may look at older titles that way.

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts
I started playing in the gensis Snes days so I can honestly say that game quality has gone down... Im starting to care less and less about new games...In fact lately Ive been going back and playing nothing but DC and PS1 games... Chrono Cross is the s***!
LasPlagasHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 LasPlagasHope
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts

Really I think it is just a matter of it is easier to go forwards than backwards. When playing current gen games and then going back to older titles, it's hard NOT to notice the difference.

I think it also depends on when you started playing. If you started to play games in the PS1/N64 or even the PS2/Xbox/GC era going back to older games is probably a bit of a challenge, where as someone like me who started in the Atari days can make the transition easier. I'm sure its not the same way for all long time gamers but I am willing to bet that the percentage is higher. Are these the reasons why some bash older games graphics? Hell if I know, I'm just making a guess.

While I don't agree with the standpoint, I do understand and respect the fact that people may look at older titles that way.

Gemini_Red
I do agree, I think if had not played ps1 games like resident evil 1,2, and 3 back when they came out I would not have the same appritiation I have for them. But really thats just human nature.
Phredrykphox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phredrykphox
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
It's kind of obsurd to hold such high expectations on older games, on the other side of things if you where looking for good graphics you wouldn't be playing old psx games. At the time those graphics where good..people just have to stop only looking at games and PLAY them
Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts

wizdom

Well... the first thing you notice when you play a game is the way it looks plain and simple, so graphics do matter in gaming, Its no different then women or guys(if you are a girl) the first you that attracts you to a game is the way it looks, sure if the gameplay is terrible you won't play it, but overall you have to look at a game first before you play it.

I totally agree that the graphics are the first thing that atracts you to the game but In the end it is really gameplay that really matters. A game could be the most beutiful game ever but if the gameplay sucks then who cares

Sephiroth445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sephiroth445
Member since 2003 • 107 Posts
I thought for ages that graphics wouldnt matter to me when I played old games, I still love playing Quake 2! But sometimes I'll pick up an old game to play and I just cant, because the graphics are so bad! And i definately agree with others points that graphics are important as a lot of the time thats the first impression you get of a game.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Kids hate games without graphics, hence why some uber crap fest like Transformers(New one) with it's special effects rather than an entertaining drama like say, a 50s or 70s movie(Drama doesn't mean drama in the sense of just talking by the way, a movie like Scarface even, is somewhat a drama) it's all about action, no depth. No story, nothing, just getting head shots. Hence why RPGs aren't very popular, where you have to manage items, find things out, have an engaging story, people just want head shots, however, I do enjoy those games, but not JUST those games.
Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
Not at all, I still play Zelda: Ocarina of time. Old games are beautiful if it's good art.
brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts

Gemini_Red

You definately hit the nail on the head with that one. Thats something I really struggle with when playing older 3D games from the ps1/n64 era. 2d games I'm fine with but going back and playing my old 3D games I find the graphics a big problem to overcome. Though if I can play the game for long enough I can get past it.

SleepyByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SleepyByte
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

I know people that don't like Black and White movies and refuse to watch them.

One of them watched Fire Fox and thought it was ok....
Wanna talk about bad graphics LOL.
You know how many great Black and White movies they are missing?

As for the guy at the store, yes it was for him to tell you the graphics are not that great. If he did not 9 times out of 10 someone expecting Gears of War quality would likely have come back with a machete. With an old Playsation the range of graphics quality is very wide and some games are down right ugly to the point of interfering with play. I still think a game can be great without all the eye candy but nowadays you come to expect it. I think graphics are important but as others have said they can't fix a bad game.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
I played old games with better graphics than new released.But is true I don't like games with bad graphic, this is why I never like Diablo for e.g
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

Gameplay is king, always has been and always will be!

I've been a gamer for over twenty years and as long as it plays well I don't care about the graphics.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Graphics do matter and they matter a lot. However, a game can still be charming even if the gfx are dated. Concerning Syphon Filter, it is a good game, but you can probably find something that plays just as good and looks much better.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
I played old games with better graphics than new released.But is true I don't like games with bad graphic, this is why I never like Diablo for e.gdayaccus007
Diablo is an awesome game and you're missing out on a real gem.
yodataughtme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yodataughtme
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
some of em
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

I'm sorry, but whenever I read stuff like this I really need to feel sorry for those the believe it. You are missing out on some truly amazing storylines out there if you are judging a game on how pretty it is. If anything graphics should be in the bottom 2 of how a game is judged; right above sound. The text-only games of old were some of the best and most immersive stories made. Now they throw some stupid physics model and shiney graphics and they think they made a good game. That's just stupid.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

Graphics matter to a certain degree but it shouldn't make gamers dislike the game. I love metal gear solid (ps) and i don't care about the graphics at all.

Sephiroth445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sephiroth445
Member since 2003 • 107 Posts
Metal Gear Solid is awesome, I've been looking for lots of old games I used to own on eBay recently, could care less about the graphics on games like that.
Arch-Vil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Arch-Vil
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts

your buddy is right , coz no one would play a game with a crapy graphics .

pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts

weirjf

I'm sorry, but whenever I read stuff like this I really need to feel sorry for those the believe it. You are missing out on some truly amazing storylines out there if you are judging a game on how pretty it is. If anything graphics should be in the bottom 2 of how a game is judged; right above sound. The text-only games of old were some of the best and most immersive stories made. Now they throw some stupid physics model and shiney graphics and they think they made a good game. That's just stupid.

Now wait a second, are you talking about the quality of the sound or the artistic value of it? Because the artistic quality of the sound and graphics actually do matter to me. FFX wouldn't be nearly as good if it weren't for all the detail gone into the environments. Same with FF7 and all of those games with graphics that aren't up to todays standards.

KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts

Graphics matter to a certain degree but it shouldn't make gamers dislike the game. I love metal gear solid (ps) and i don't care about the graphics at all.

EmptySki

Metal Gear Solid had awesome graphics. The game basically blew me away the first time.

Yeah, but game-play mechanics and such also improves along with graphics. I played Diablo when it came out and it was easily one of my favourite and then came Diablo II. It was better than Diablo in a lot of ways. Blizzard had greatly improved on the original formula and coming back to the original was tough. The same can also be said for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. Baldur's Gate II is so much better than the original and I'm not talking graphics here. So sure the originals are my favourites but I'd rather play the sequels, because they just play better.

P.S. Another example Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

No you are not, but most people care about graphics so people who don't know you are sure to say things that appeal to the majority of people they interact with. The clerk has probably recommended games with 'crap' graphics like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound only to have angry no brains storm back into the store next day to complain about the visuals.

You are not alone.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

"Is it good?"

"How are the graphics?"

AbusementPark

Don't judge a book by its cover. The same goes for games.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
This culture has dumbed down to the point where most are fascinated by anything that's shiny or sparkles. Materialism and hedonism are what matters, and nothing else. That applies to the game industry and so-called "gamers," too, as the #1 requirement for many "new-age gamers" is graphics. Because of course, the visual appeal matters more than anything else, in any walk of life.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
In the spirit of this thread, I think I'll go play a text adventure now.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I kind of have a different way of looking at it. Whereas most people consider the evolution of graphics to be completely linear and ever-progressing, I always view them as just another visual art, and I therefore rate the "success" of a games' graphics based on what the aesthetic endeavor was to begin with, which is not always going to be flashy spectacle and realism. In fact, the technical limitations of an early game just may serve to make the end result more impressive. Throughout my own life as a gamer, I've actually been able to assign specific expectations to each generation, and appreciate all of them equally.

The 3rd generation seemed to mostly be "about" creatively representing images and characters with the very limited number of pixels and available colors. As a child, I was not only able to simply accept this, but it sort of made the whole thing more fun, because I would have to use my imagination, sort of like drawing crappy crayon pictures or playing "pretend" with action figures. It was an art unto itself, as anyone who knows the story of Mario's graphical origins should know well.

With the 4th generation, not so much creativity was required, since the new graphics, while not realistic per se, were at least able to make every image look exactly like what it was meant to. The "art" portion was now a more traditional matter of making impressive 2D animations and backgrounds, which, towards the end, became fully realized with the likes of the Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat and Earthworm Jim series.

Then the 5th generation came along, and the visual realism of the past gen was traded in for the gameplay realism of 3D characters and environments. In a sense, polygons and textures became the equivalent of 3rd gen pixels and color palettes, and using very limited amounts of them to sculpt character models became a skill unto itself (I like to use the ingenious "three long triangles to make link's nose" as a prime example)

The 6th generation, it seems, was analogous to the 5th the way the 4th related to the 3rd, in that the graphics no longer "represented" what they were supposed to be, but actually looked how they were intended to. While most of the generation was dedicated to looking as life-like as possible, a fine exception to this rule was of course, The Wind Waker, which had no pretensions of looking realistic at all, but was still without a doubt beautiful and aesthetically appealing to look at.

The current 7th generation seems to simply be a reiteration of the 6th, only superior in a purely linear technological sense. I think its safe to assume that graphically, this is where games are headed from now on, right along side CGI itself in its simple goal of achieving more and more photorealism as system specs allow for it. As long they're able to keep some sort of artistic integrity, and don't simply copy from real life, I'll be delighted, but I do in a weird way regret the peculiar identity each of the previous epochs could call their own.

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#33 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Look, there are plenty of projects where graphics matter, for example suppose you're re-constructing something historical. A bit like Assassins Creed with all the medieval architecture. Better graphics will give you a more accurate and immersive experience. It's actually more the exception than the rule where graphics don't matter or don't matter a lot.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#34 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
well i can certainly tell you you're not the only one that buys games for the game, quite alot go for gameplay over graphics, and a good amount couldn't care less about graphics...but of course the stores are more interested in the majority, as they want to make as much money as possible...and with the rather ridiculous amount of casual gamers in recent generations graphics have become a strong selling point for selling games; unfortunately great graphics often come at the cost of other things such as the story, and in some cases, even the gameplay...there's plently of magasines and game reviewing sites as well as demoes and the likes that allow us to get a good idea as to just how good a game is so we dnt have to rely on graphics and presentation. of coruse it'd be great if stores talked about the other good points of games instead, unfortunately that is very rarely the case...tbh i wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of ppl working in those stores have never played many of the games they sell though, so i guess you can't really expect them to tell you about any other part of the game other than the graphics
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
I'm no graphics whore but they are important. If you're going to be playing a game for hours it certainly helps if it's nice to look at. Also I remember SF and it was passable (for the time) at best.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#36 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
^i was quite happy with the graphics in syphon filter at the time, they wern't impressive but the gameplay was quite good, which mor than made up for that...