Gamecube VS Dreamcast

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Which console is better?

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

Dreamcast. I mean, GameCube had Resident Evil 4 which is my favourite game ever (alonside Valkyria Chronicles 2), but it's one of the only games I see as a must-have on it and I prefer the PS2 version of it anyway and Dreamcast had all these awesome games like Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventure 2. Sure, they were later ported to GameCube, but that was after the Dreamcast died. Then it had Shemue and Crazy Taxi. I also prefer the Dreamcast's controller. :D

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's a shame about the Dreamcast and Sega. For me it was GCN > DC > PS2 > Xbox. Favorite game by far was Skies of Arcadia. Power Stone was also lots of fun too. I've been looking online for Skies of Arcadia Legends for GCN to play on my Wii. Unfortunately I haven't seen it in a while :(

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Gamecube>Dreamcast

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There was a thread just a wile ago about this.. but regardless, DC > Gamecube for me because of: Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Power Stone 1 & 2, Virtua Tennis 1 & 2, and i can go on forever. And hell, i don't even have Shenmue & SA, i dislike them.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

The gamecube has definitely grown on me in recent years, however it still is my least favorite console from last gen, while the Dreamcast is my second my favorite from the same gen (PS2 gets the honors of being #1). I just prefer the Dreamcast's library overall, and not only that, but I feel the Dreamcastpumped out twice the awesome titles in half the time it took the Gamecube's 5-year lifespan.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Dreamcast hands down. Go buy Last Hope: Pink Bullets and Gunlord now.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

its difficult to use the DreamCast is these such comparisons for me peronally, given that:

1. It only had a 2yr run and died before her time.
2. A chunk of its library was PS1 ports (RE2, RE3, Alone in the Dark, Soul Reaver etc)
3. A chunk of its library was later ported to NGC/PS2 (Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, Ikaruga, Crazy Taxi, RE:codeV, Grandia II etc)

I respect the DreamCast for its technical merrits and what it COULD have been.....
but its not on my radar of "best consoles" for the above reasons, and certainly can't touch the GameCube.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts
Favourite console ever = GameCube
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Any reason why we couldn't have continued discussing this on this very recent thread?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29186400/not-including-ports-which-system-has-better-games-dreamcast-or-gamecube

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
im a fighting game fan and DreamCast had all the arcade perfect ports of that genre. and it also had my all time favorite game...Shenmue
Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jessey-Stone
Member since 2011 • 375 Posts

well the dc has millions of arcade games and me myself am an arcade child

but gamecube has resident evil 1 remake wich is probably my number 2 game of all time so ill have to choose both :D

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Love them both, but Gamecube by far. F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker. Those four games are enough for me to consider the Gamecube the best sixth generation platform by far.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

dreamcast. it has the more hardcore lin-up. gamecube is missing all the arcade games basically

MrNuttyboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrNuttyboh
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

Coming from someone who still has their Dreamcast up and running, its gotta be the dreamcast

It was so ahead of its time, which was prob its downfall. I loved alot of games on it, and the memory cards were so friggin awesome lol

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
The Dreamcast because its controller sucked a little bit less. Seriously, I say Dreamcast because it had Shenmue and an abundance of arcade classics and rail shooters.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts
Definitely the Dreamcast. I like the controller and the console itself more, and the library of games suits my taste far better. The number of quality shoot'em ups and fighters alone would do, but there's also, for example, the Shenmue games, Headhunter, Maken X, Armada, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis, Dynamite Cop, House of the Dead 2, Typing of the Dead, Quake III, Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, Ecco: Defender of the Future, ...
Avatar image for DigitalMartians
DigitalMartians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DigitalMartians
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
definitley the dreamcast... they had way better games... or at least games that appealed to the "normal" gamer... not a whole bunch of kid video games or "Nintendo fan based" games like with the gamecube... to be honest until I saw this thread I forgot all about the gamecube.. WOW!
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
definitley the dreamcast... they had way better games... or at least games that appealed to the "normal" gamer... not a whole bunch of kid video games or "Nintendo fan based" games like with the gamecube... to be honest until I saw this thread I forgot all about the gamecube.. WOW!DigitalMartians
Yeah, games like Fire Emblem, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Resident Evil 0 and 4, Killer 7... such kiddie garbage. What a thoughtless opinion.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bultje112

how about naming me 15 other non-kiddie games?

I admitt the gamecube was the most adult oriented system from nintendo and also their best other than the snes, but compared to dreamcast library I think it's quite a difference.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 famicommander

I admitt the gamecube was the most adult oriented system from nintendo and also their best other than the snes, but compared to dreamcast library I think it's quite a difference.

bultje112
Just the fact that you even make mental distinction between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" tells me that you're not worth the effort. Maturity isn't measured in the amount of violence in a game, nor by the lack of bright colors or cute characters.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

famicommander

Just the fact that you even make mental distinction between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" tells me that you're not worth the effort. Maturity isn't measured in the amount of violence in a game, nor by the lack of bright colors or cute characters.

*cough*BS*cough*

Don't get me wrong, though. I like the Gamecube just fine. I just think that most people can agree that there's definelty a difference between kiddie games and adult-oriented games.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

*cough*BS*cough*

Don't get me wrong, though. I like the Gamecube just fine. I just think that most people can agree that there's definelty a difference between kiddie games and adult-oriented games.

There is nothing about a game like Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker which predisposes it to children rather than adults. Anyone who feels the need to throw such meaningless labels at games is obviously not comfortable with their own taste.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"] Just the fact that you even make mental distinction between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" tells me that you're not worth the effort. Maturity isn't measured in the amount of violence in a game, nor by the lack of bright colors or cute characters.famicommander

*cough*BS*cough*

There is nothing about a game like Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker which predisposes it to children rather than adults. Anyone who feels the need to throw such meaningless labels at games is obviously not comfortable with their own taste.

So do you want to play Piglet's Big Game then? Definetly a difference there. I don't think Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker fall into that category.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

*cough*BS*cough*

Emerald_Warrior

So do you want to play Piglet's Big Game then? Definetly a difference there. I don't think Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker fall into that category.

If Piglet's Big Game had an interesting gameplay mechanic or great level design I'd play the hell out of it. But it doesn't, so no.
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Shenmue. Theres my answer.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

famicommander

no it's distincion is innovate gameplay, storytelling etc. that's why I ask you for gamecube games to name that had that. games like killer7 are great example btu dreamcast had far more "hardcore" games.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bultje112

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"] Just the fact that you even make mental distinction between "kiddie" and "non-kiddie" tells me that you're not worth the effort. Maturity isn't measured in the amount of violence in a game, nor by the lack of bright colors or cute characters.famicommander

*cough*BS*cough*

yes it has. windwaker bore sthe **** out of me. the gameplay is simple but nothing new under the table. the forced cell shading came years too late long after jet set raido had done it in a game that actually made sense to have it

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bultje112

xOMGITSJASONx

quoted for truth

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

Dreamcast. It's close, but I always preferred Sega, and the Dreamcast is still in my top 5 consoles that I own.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 godzillavskong

xOMGITSJASONx
What about the abundance of fighting games that graced that console in it's short lifecycle? Dead or Alive, Soul Caliber, Ready to Rumble Boxing, Marvel vs Capcom,etc.. The Dreamcast was a dream for gamers who prefer fighters. No pun intended. :P
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
DC for me all the way. Loved the Cube, but DC was better. For me it was Xbox > DC > GCN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> castration >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> violent death >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nothing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I only played the Dreamcast couple of times with my relatives, so I say the GameCube because I spent more hours on it & I actually own 1.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

gamecube has melee. the end.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

supernes93

But Dreamcast has Power Stone;)

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
Dreamcast :) still enjoy playing games on my old machine. Loved the VMU -felt it's such a unique tool especially in games such as Sonic Shuffle, and RE:Code Veronica :)
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Dream cast was the kiddie box far more casual than even the wii. Tons of games for that console that required cheap instrument ad dons or fake fishing rods or a pet fish with a face. Exxaggerating, yes, but sega did seek out that casual arcade crowd with the Dreamcast. I think people forget how the console was marketed.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="supernes93"]

gameofthering

But Dreamcast has Power Stone;)

Yeah. Can't end it with that game. SSBM was great , but the Dreamcast also had a ton of great fighting titles. Soul Caliber comes to mind. That and like you said, the Power Stone series. Dead or Alive was insane!
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 godzillavskong
Dream cast was the kiddie box far more casual than even the wii. Tons of games for that console that required cheap instrument ad dons or fake fishing rods or a pet fish with a face. Exxaggerating, yes, but sega did seek out that casual arcade crowd with the Dreamcast. I think people forget how the console was marketed.Heirren
I'm not so sure of that. Yeah it had a lot of peripherals, but really not anything different than what a lot of other companies do. I think the Dreamcast was more catered to the "hardcore" crowd. It still has that hardcore, possibly cult following. It almost seems like it's more popular now then it was back then. At least to the hardcore community.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

DC is probably my least favorite console that I own. I wouldn't call it outright bad, but there aren't a multitude of great games to me.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#42 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

DC is probably my least favorite console that I own. I wouldn't call it outright bad, but there aren't a multitude of great games to me.

magnax1
Im surprised that you werent chased through town by angry peasants carrying pitchforks for saying that.
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

no doubt i stilll respect the dream cast its my third favorite console of that generation behind the ps2.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Gamecube>Dreamcast just for SSBM, Metroid Prime, and RE4.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The gamecube for sure. It had so many god tier exclusives (Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker etc). Had the Dreamcast lived a longer life, perhaps it would have stood a chance.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
DC is severely overrated . Most of it's good games were ported to other systems in the same Gen including the GCN.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Most of it's good games were ported to other systems in the same Gen including the GCN.Kaszilla

That's not true, most of its good games were never ported, just the more popular ones. It has plenty of good exclusive titles left, including the imports.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]

That's not true, most of its good games were never ported, just the more popular ones. It has plenty of good exclusive titles left, including the imports.

Lucianu

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Most of it's good games were ported to other systems in the same Gen including the GCN.Lucianu

What are the killer must have exclusives left?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#49 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]Most of it's good games were ported to other systems in the same Gen including the GCN.Lucianu

What are the killer must have exclusives left?

Shenmue Virtua Fighter 3 (also in the arcade, but exclusive on consoles) Jet Set Radio Dynamite Deka 2/Dynamite Cop (also in the arcade) Carrier Capcom Vs SNK (also on PS1, but that version is better left in the dustbin) Marvel vs Capcom (same as above) thats a quick list
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I loved the Dreamcast, but the gamecube got ports of a lot of its best games. Throw in some great 1st party titles and the gamecube wins it in my book.