Game types you thought you won't like, but ultimately tried and liked.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

Its not rare to see people cringing at the idea of trying a specific type of game. Example, flight sims are the epitome of niche, and people are keeping their distance because they believe the learning curve is too steep and it will be boring flying from one point to the other etc. But some of them, when they actually try it, might realise that learning to fly and operating avionics is actually part of the fun, or that the end result was worth the investment in learning the simulator

Personally I dont like sports games, however I ended up liking the sort of arcady sports games like fifa street and some similar types of basketball games. That was limited though. what I loved was snowboard and skateboard games, be it tony hawk or SSX, these are games I thought I would not like, partly because Im not interested in reality in any of these or their respective cultures.

I still didnt like STEEP, though. Its boring.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I stayed away from any racing game that wasn't super arcady for years, but recently tried out some sim-cade stuff like Dirt and Motogp and found them quite enjoyable.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@PETERAKO:

JRPG'S

First person shooters

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PETERAKO

@killered3: What kept you away and how were you introduced to them?

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I used to really hate FPS and JRPG, now I like them.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@PETERAKO:

I saw a bunch of fps games back in the ps1/n64 days and none of them interested me. I thought they were too hard to play and they were basically boring to look at. Duke Nukem, Golden Eye, Turok, Doom...blechh! Halo Combat Evolved changed ALL of that! I fell in love and realized that fps games are pretty cool! So kept playing more.

As for JRPG'S, I was already playing Western RPG'S at the time so it was easy to get into them. Technically, Final Fantasy VII was my first JRPG but it didn't change my mind about them. Persona 4 Golden on Vita did. Basically having the ps vita got me into JRPG'S.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

JRPG's and basically what @killered3 said. I wasn't too familiar with Japanese-styled games and they seemed off putting to me. But having a Vita, I apparently HAD to play Persona 4 Golden and I am very glad I did because I absolutely loved that game. I've since played a couple of other JRPG's and like more Japanese games in general, namely visual novels.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Turned-based games like Civilization... picked up Civ 5 cheap one day and thought I'd wasted my money. But I was addicted!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I can not think of one. I tried many types of games. I still do not like fighting games and on-line arena game like CoD or Battlefield. I tried them.

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Atomolog
Member since 2016 • 195 Posts

I started as a nintendo 64 and game boy colour player. I then become a pc rpg player (and mmorpg). Later all my friends were buying the xbox 360 and my pc was being left behind so I decided myself into buying the xbox 360 at 200€. Bought oblivion game used for 5€ (always wanted to play but my pc was pretty old) and bought gears of war.

At first I was really bad at shooters to the point of telling myself shooters are trash.

Instead I focused on playing rpg games. Bought several games over the years: resonance of fate. blue dragon. assassin creed 1. assassin creed 2. (later brotherhood and much later revelations too). gears of war 2. halo reach.

At gears of war 2 and halo reach I started to like them shooters on story mode and casually co op and myltiplayer.

Then I got gears of war 3 and all I could see was a master piece. Gears of war 3 is one of the best games ever and made me start liking shooters for real.

Now I own both ps4 pro and xbox one s 2tb and for me now gears of war ultimate and 4 and halo 5 are games that I really like.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I thought I wouldn't like rpgs, but have enjoyed several.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PETERAKO

@killered3@SoNin360 Woah, have to say that quite recent with JPRGs.

I never played any until we got a PS2 and to be frank was not distaste but generally lack of knowledge. FFX must've been my first. Im not big into JRPGs nowadays, but I like them, starting from FFX.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I had a habit of avoiding games that fanboys (or purists) badmouthed. In every instance, I actually liked the game once I played it.

Among those in recent memory:

Crysis - I shouldn't have listened to the morons who said it's just a tech demo. I found out for myself once I played the free first level demo.

Warhead - Ditto.

Fallout 4 - berated by FO purists and Bethesda haters. I found the game fun, even after completing the main storyline.

Far Cry 2 - Everyone I talked to said to stay away. Being me, I bought the damn thing once it became available at GoG. It seems like many of their gripes were true: respawning at outposts I just cleared out, deteriorating weapons, etc. I actually didn't mind those. So what if bad guys respawned? That's more bad guys to kill in a shooter game. The deteriorating weapons is more of a question mark. I personally didn't mind it. But, it's probably better off in an RPG or something.

The haters never mentioned the one genuine gripe I had with FC2: the atrocious movement mechanic. I can sprint longer and get over obstacles better in real life than the guy in FC2. ;) All in all, I like FC2.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#14 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Tough to state as I tend to jump into games with an open mind.

I actually don't like most Racing games or First Person Shooters though. But this is more to how much they clone each other and lack originality to each other from my perspective.

D00M and Bioshock are the rare FPS games I actually enjoy a whole lot, and Wipeout Fury is probably my favorite racer.

A genre is difficult for me not to enjoy is a 3D slasher DMC, GoW, NG, Bayo. I've enjoyed most games I've tried in this genre, I even found X Blades fun.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

World of Warcraft. I saw the screenshots and hated the look of it. 12 years later and I still play it...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

on paper i should hate monster hunter. it has grinding and what appears to be nonsensical game mechanics. it also commits the cardinal sin of having time limits.

but i really like monster hunter. i have only played Mh3 but i sunk many hours into it. even the time limit actually does make sense and the fighting is fun so the grinding isnt such a drag.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PETERAKO

@Starshine_M2A2 Oh man, that reminds me of the first time I played WoW. The first two hours I spend in the trial from my brothers copy was a revelation! I was deathly bored and never touched it again xD

@osan0 Pretty much me with SSX tricky. Its a sport. I dont like sports, I don't like the culture either. But gimme more SSX.