Game Recommendation Thread

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

The old thread was getting rather stale. Had a good two-year run, but figured it was time for a replacement.

Same rules apply; you all know the drill by now. If not, it's simple: Undecided on what game to buy, or just looking for recommendations for something new? Use this thread. Any such queries posted in the board proper will be locked on-sight.

Have at it.

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
Should I get Killzone Shadow Fall after it comes out for PS4? I love the series.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Should I get Killzone Shadow Fall after it comes out for PS4? I love the series.Hseptic
Did you pre order the PS4?
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
[QUOTE="Hseptic"]Should I get Killzone Shadow Fall after it comes out for PS4? I love the series.Granny_Spanked

No I am not pre-ordering. I WILL get it eventually tho.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Granny_Spanked
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"][QUOTE="Hseptic"]Should I get Killzone Shadow Fall after it comes out for PS4? I love the series.Hseptic

No I am not pre-ordering. I WILL get it eventually tho.

If you liked the Killzone series, I see no reason why you shouldn't get it. It looks to be the best game yet, and it's the one game I pre ordered along with my PS4.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Shadow Fall is made by veterans in the FPS genre who really know how to make a shooter feel like a shooter. If you're hesitant at all, just wait for reviews and what they say.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Got me Xcom Enemy Unknown a while ago and Shadowrun Returns recently, are there more modern games in the style of Grid & Round Based Tactical / Strategic Combat. The only other one I know in this field is the ancient "Laser Squad" which I played on my old 3.86 back in the 90's.

So, any recommendations about similar games like these are highly appreciated :)

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Coolyfett was reading about the Dark Souls games and it seems that Dark Souls play a little bit like Monster Hunter, has anyone played both games? If so is Dark Souls as hard as Monster Hunter? Looking for a new game to play that will last, something that can suck Coolyfett into the gaming world, still doing research and looking for opinions though. How would you compare Dark Souls/Demon Souls to the Monster Hunter series??

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Coolyfett was reading about the Dark Souls games and it seems that Dark Souls play a little bit like Monster Hunter, has anyone played both games? If so is Dark Souls as hard as Monster Hunter? Looking for a new game to play that will last, something that can suck Coolyfett into the gaming world, still doing research and looking for opinions though. How would you compare Dark Souls/Demon Souls to the Monster Hunter series??

Coolyfett

Haven't played enough of Monster hunter to say, but Dark Souls will DEFINITELY last a long time. should last around 50 hours first playthrough, and it only increases with New Game + replays. It's highly atmospheric, too, so it should fit the bill.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

turtlethetaffer

Haven't played enough of Monster hunter to say, but Dark Souls will DEFINITELY last a long time. should last around 50 hours first playthrough, and it only increases with New Game + replays. It's highly atmospheric, too, so it should fit the bill.

Thanks dude, Coolyfett played tons of Monster Hunter on the PSP, might have put at least 80 hours into it, Coolyfett is still reading up on Dark Souls now and see there is news of a second Dark Souls coming next year. from the articles that are being read, this game sounds a lot like Monster Hunter, but instead of wild animals and dinosaurs you fight evil beings and a few dragons.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

Coolyfett

Thanks dude, Coolyfett played tons of Monster Hunter on the PSP, might have put at least 80 hours into it, Coolyfett is still reading up on Dark Souls now and see there is news of a second Dark Souls coming next year. from the articles that are being read, this game sounds a lot like Monster Hunter, but instead of wild animals and dinosaurs you fight evil beings and a few dragons.

From what I got about Monster Hunter, Dark Souls is a less "focused" ARPG. In that there is no quest log, no map, no magic arrow pointing in the right direction. It's much mroe about figuring things out for yourself.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Justforvisit

Wow guys...do you ALWAYS ignore me in the stickied threads on purpose? -_-

Seriously, that's the 5th or sixth time now o.O

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 turtlethetaffer

Justforvisit

Are you talking to someone specifically? I personally don't have any game recs for your request, sorry.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

turtlethetaffer

From what I got about Monster Hunter, Dark Souls is a less "focused" ARPG. In that there is no quest log, no map, no magic arrow pointing in the right direction. It's much mroe about figuring things out for yourself.

No overhead map?? Thats interest, still reading up on the game now.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Coolyfett

Justforvisit

Ask your question again mate, give us more details.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Thanks dude, Coolyfett played tons of Monster Hunter on the PSP, might have put at least 80 hours into it, Coolyfett is still reading up on Dark Souls now and see there is news of a second Dark Souls coming next year. from the articles that are being read, this game sounds a lot like Monster Hunter, but instead of wild animals and dinosaurs you fight evil beings and a few dragons.

Coolyfett

No overhead map?? Thats interest, still reading up on the game now.

Lol, no, when I say no map, I mean no map. As in no map at all. It's pretty much pure memorization.

hororrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hororrex
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey I've been looking through all the games on the internet searching for a game with certain perimeters and requirements. If anyone could help me find a game that has : - A good Advancement system - Build your own world (Or a housing system) - Choices to make your player unique (Class or perk systems, Races etc.) - You can play with just the people you want to play with and not a mass amount of people (Instances) (Not REQUIRED) - And if possible , Free to play. That would be great. Although I don't think a game like this exists but it's worth a try. Thanks to everyone who gives input. >>>>>It can be any genre.<<
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blabadon

Got me Xcom Enemy Unknown a while ago and Shadowrun Returns recently, are there more modern games in the style of Grid & Round Based Tactical / Strategic Combat. The only other one I know in this field is the ancient "Laser Squad" which I played on my old 3.86 back in the 90's.

So, any recommendations about similar games like these are highly appreciated :)

Justforvisit
I'm pretty scatterbrained in this genre, but take a look and see if the Fire Emblem series interests you at all. They are grid based and strategy based.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blabadon
[QUOTE="hororrex"]Hey I've been looking through all the games on the internet searching for a game with certain perimeters and requirements. If anyone could help me find a game that has : - A good Advancement system - Build your own world (Or a housing system) - Choices to make your player unique (Class or perk systems, Races etc.) - You can play with just the people you want to play with and not a mass amount of people (Instances) (Not REQUIRED) - And if possible , Free to play. That would be great. Although I don't think a game like this exists but it's worth a try. Thanks to everyone who gives input. >>>>>It can be any genre.<<

Yeah, I really apologize for how off these might sound, but you could potentially try these two cheap titles: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - You won't get a unique character in the story, but can kind of customize in MP, you get a section of the city to build, and it's cheap This one's out of left field, but how about GTA Vice City? You do get to buy various properties, big world, clothing customization; it's considered one of the top GTA titles for a reason.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Blabadon

I'm pretty scatterbrained in this genre, but take a look and see if the Fire Emblem series interests you at all. They are grid based and strategy based.

Well, thank you very much! :)

cboyuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 cboyuno
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

Feeling a bit nostalgic for a deep and challenging RPG or MMORPG. I have a 3DS, an XBOX 360 and a high end gaming laptop. I would prefer a game for the 3DS or the PC.

Never finished Earthbound 2. Should I play that? I got really close to the end so I'm not sure if its worth starting all over for.

Can't seem to finish Borderlands 2, but just completed 5 games in my backlog so I don't feel required to finish it any time soon.

Pokemon Black 2 looks like fun but I don't want to burn out on pokemon before pokemon X and Y come out. You guys think that might be an issue? I have played every pokemon game in the series it would be strange for me to miss this one.

Then theres all the other 3DS games out there that might be worth playing...man I really need some advice! 

In the meantime I guess I will keep playing dota 2 while I've got the win-streak going. 

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 turtlethetaffer

Feeling a bit nostalgic for a deep and challenging RPG or MMORPG. I have a 3DS, an XBOX 360 and a high end gaming laptop. I would prefer a game for the 3DS or the PC.

Never finished Earthbound 2. Should I play that? I got really close to the end so I'm not sure if its worth starting all over for.

Can't seem to finish Borderlands 2, but just completed 5 games in my backlog so I don't feel required to finish it any time soon.

Pokemon Black 2 looks like fun but I don't want to burn out on pokemon before pokemon X and Y come out. You guys think that might be an issue? I have played every pokemon game in the series it would be strange for me to miss this one.

Then theres all the other 3DS games out there that might be worth playing...man I really need some advice! 

In the meantime I guess I will keep playing dota 2 while I've got the win-streak going. 

cboyuno

I'm currently playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS. I'm really enjoying it, but it's not too challenging. However, I've heard Etrian Odyssey IV on the 3DS is really good.  It's supposed to be very accessible but still very challenging.  there's also Shin Megami Tensei IV, which, again, I've heard is quite challenging.

Black 2 is only a neccessity if you haven't played Black or White (in this case I'll assume you've played Black).  It's still enjoyable, and has some cool new additions, but unless you feel you absolutely need to play it, I'd say just wait until X and Y. IMO it's not worth spending the extra money on, especially with release day just a few months away.  

And if you aren't opposed to DS RPGs, the Dragon Quest series is always worth looking into (IX would be the best to get for the most value).  They aren't terribly challenging, but they are tons of fun (IV, V, VI and IX are the main series games on the DS).  Although Dragon Quest IX gets to be quite challenging if you dive into the post game.  There's also a game that's not strictly RPG, but Knights in the Nightmare is amazing. It's a hybrid of RTS, RPG and bullet hel shooters... I'd reccomend doing research if you want to look into it, because the game is extremely complex (the tutorial is about an hour and a half long).  But if you don;t mind something different and stick with it, it will provide a great experience.

Hope all this helps.

cboyuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cboyuno
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

[QUOTE="cboyuno"]

turtlethetaffer

I'm currently playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS. I'm really enjoying it, but it's not too challenging. However, I've heard Etrian Odyssey IV on the 3DS is really good.  It's supposed to be very accessible but still very challenging.  there's also Shin Megami Tensei IV, which, again, I've heard is quite challenging.

Black 2 is only a neccessity if you haven't played Black or White (in this case I'll assume you've played Black).  It's still enjoyable, and has some cool new additions, but unless you feel you absolutely need to play it, I'd say just wait until X and Y. IMO it's not worth spending the extra money on, especially with release day just a few months away.  

And if you aren't opposed to DS RPGs, the Dragon Quest series is always worth looking into (IX would be the best to get for the most value).  They aren't terribly challenging, but they are tons of fun (IV, V, VI and IX are the main series games on the DS).  Although Dragon Quest IX gets to be quite challenging if you dive into the post game.  There's also a game that's not strictly RPG, but Knights in the Nightmare is amazing. It's a hybrid of RTS, RPG and bullet hel shooters... I'd reccomend doing research if you want to look into it, because the game is extremely complex (the tutorial is about an hour and a half long).  But if you don;t mind something different and stick with it, it will provide a great experience.

Hope all this helps.

thanks man ill check out that Knights in the Nightmare for sure.

scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 scooterguy140
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

Looking for a new game.

I usually play third person shooters  or action games but I'm looking to try some other genres. I used to love FF7 but really haven't be able to get into an RPG since. The thing is I just need a good story to a game and a lot of games don't have that. Also, I recently played Evoland and while I understand it's really just a mini game, it got me in the mood for something similar. So what do you think? One of the Final Fantasy games? Zelda? Something like that? Just name me something with a great story.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 turtlethetaffer

Looking for a new game.

I usually play third person shooters  or action games but I'm looking to try some other genres. I used to love FF7 but really haven't be able to get into an RPG since. The thing is I just need a good story to a game and a lot of games don't have that. Also, I recently played Evoland and while I understand it's really just a mini game, it got me in the mood for something similar. So what do you think? One of the Final Fantasy games? Zelda? Something like that? Just name me something with a great story.

scooterguy140

What systems do you own? There are quite a few RPGs on the DS with awesome stories.

If you haven't played it yet, I guess try a way to play Final Fantasy VI. It's quite amazing.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blabadon

cboyuno
I saw this and though Shin Megami Tensei IV the entire time. I'm enjoying it so far.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blabadon

Looking for a new game.

scooterguy140
Look at Dark Souls. Its story is based a lot on user implications of the world created; if you want to get sucked in, what better game to do so with?
scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 scooterguy140
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

What systems do you own? There are quite a few RPGs on the DS with awesome stories.

If you haven't played it yet, I guess try a way to play Final Fantasy VI. It's quite amazing.

PS3, XBOX 360, GameCube, and my  average laptop.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Granny_Spanked

Looking for a new game.

scooterguy140
Mass effect is a good hybrid TPS and RPG, and I would also recommend The Walking Dead, fantastic story and a good point and click game.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 turtlethetaffer

scooterguy140

PS3, XBOX 360, GameCube, and my  average laptop.

Might want to give Lost Odyssey on the 360 a try. It's an old school JRPG.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Been looking for some opinions on two DLC offerings:

Mass Effect 3: Citadel, and Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall. Anybody play them? Wanting to know if they're worth the expense. I know I'll most likely enjoy Knife, but not too sure about Citadel. I've been through ME3, but I never upped and bought any extras for it.

Also if anybody has any recommendations for a good recent DBZ game, those are welcome too. Sometimes you just want to be a Super Saiyan for a bit.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#34 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Been looking for some opinions on two DLC offerings:

Mass Effect 3: Citadel, and Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall. Anybody play them? Wanting to know if they're worth the expense. I know I'll most likely enjoy Knife, but not too sure about Citadel. I've been through ME3, but I never upped and bought any extras for it.

Also if anybody has any recommendations for a good recent DBZ game, those are welcome too. Sometimes you just want to be a Super Saiyan for a bit.

gpuFX16

I've heard nothing but good things about Knife of Dunwall. Haven't played it myself, though (don't own Dishonored).

Never played Mass Effect, so... can't help you there.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Bioshock Infinite, I'm told, is one of the greatest games ever made for any platform today.

Is it worth checking out and also, do I need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 to gain an understanding of the story first or can I play Bioshock Infinite seperately without having to worry about it?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 turtlethetaffer

So i have a question about some RPGs.  Mainly, how good is Tales of Vesperia?  I played Tales of the Abyss and loved it, and I've heard from many places that it's the best Tales game.  Is it worth the money?

Also, how is Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Metamania

So i have a question about some RPGs. Mainly, how good is Tales of Vesperia? I played Tales of the Abyss and loved it, and I've heard from many places that it's the best Tales game. Is it worth the money?

turtlethetaffer

I've played Tales Of Vesperia and have beaten it many times over. It's really good and it's actually my favorite RPG on the 360 until I play another RPG that beats it (which is probably not going to happen anytime soon). It features a great cast of characters to know, a good story to back it up (although predictable at some points, yet some of the twists thrown at you are unexpected, admittedly), and there's a lot to do in the game. The achievements in the game are challenging and worth going after, although some can be time-consuming to complete. Bottom line, if you can, nab the 360 version, but if you are completely fluent in Japanese, then there's no reason to not pick up the PS3 version of ToV, which I hear is packed with extras that the 360 does not have (such as an extra character and extra scenes).

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Bioshock Infinite, I'm told, is one of the greatest games ever made for any platform today.

Is it worth checking out and also, do I need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 to gain an understanding of the story first or can I play Bioshock Infinite seperately without having to worry about it?

Metamania

Bioshock infinite is worth checking out, I enjoyed it, however, I think it would be worth playing the first bioshock before hand. The story in infinite was better, but the atmosphere of Rapture is awesome, and the gameplay is better in my opinion. You don't need to play bioshock 1 to understand the story of infinite, BUT, your overall experience will be enhanced if you do. It's hard to explain without spoiling infinite.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

So i have a question about some RPGs. Mainly, how good is Tales of Vesperia? I played Tales of the Abyss and loved it, and I've heard from many places that it's the best Tales game. Is it worth the money?

Metamania

I've played Tales Of Vesperia and have beaten it many times over. It's really good and it's actually my favorite RPG on the 360 until I play another RPG that beats it (which is probably not going to happen anytime soon). It features a great cast of characters to know, a good story to back it up (although predictable at some points, yet some of the twists thrown at you are unexpected, admittedly), and there's a lot to do in the game. The achievements in the game are challenging and worth going after, although some can be time-consuming to complete. Bottom line, if you can, nab the 360 version, but if you are completely fluent in Japanese, then there's no reason to not pick up the PS3 version of ToV, which I hear is packed with extras that the 360 does not have (such as an extra character and extra scenes).

Sweet, thanks!

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Has anyone here played Nier. The story looks really interesting. The problem is there are so many mixed reviews it's hard to tell if it's worth the time. Can someone give me a short non-bias review of the pros and cons about the game.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

turtlethetaffer

Sweet, thanks!

You're welcome! Let me know what you think of ToV after playing and completing it! :)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Sweet, thanks!

You're welcome! Let me know what you think of ToV after playing and completing it! :)

Will do1 Not gonna get it right away, but hopefully sometime this semester.

Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Can you guys recommend me some good single player games for PC? I play almost every type of game except linear FPS-es like COD. Those games' single player campaigns bore me to death. I recently played the Mass Effect series and loved it, so I would prefer something close to it, but basically any game with a good sigle-player will do. Also, please, no JRPGs.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 turtlethetaffer

Can you guys recommend me some good single player games for PC? I play almost every type of game except linear FPS-es like COD. Those games' single player campaigns bore me to death. I recently played the Mass Effect series and loved it, so I would prefer something close to it, but basically any game with a good sigle-player will do. Also, please, no JRPGs.

Darkeroid2212

Might wanna try out Dark Souls. I suppose that it's technically a JRPG but trust me, it plays nothing like one.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Granny_Spanked

Darkeroid2212
Batman Arkham series if you haven't played that. Mafia 2, Amnesia, The Walking Dead, and the Bioshock series are games I've enjoyed on PC. As for games that are close to Mass Effect, I really can't think of a lot of good ones. The two off the top of my head are The Witcher series and Dragon Age Origins. And if you haven't played the KOTOR series, I'd play those as well.