Free-to-play can be 'as profitable as a console game' - EA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

As reported by PC Gamer.

EA has a small stable of free-to-play games, including Battlefield Heroes and Need for Speed World. "If you get a couple of those to scale they're as profitable as a console game," says Gibeau. "The free-to-play group inside of EA Games is growing extremely fast – we've got 17 million users, 4-5 services stood up right now."

One of the great advantages of free-to-play games is that they're popular in parts of the world where piracy makes it hard to make money from traditional boxed retail sales. "With Need for Speed World, Russia and Brazil are number one and two – the Ukraine is in there," says Gibeau, "I can't sell packaged goods in those territories. But I'm reaching an audience with Need for Speed content. It's an engine that's not as advanced as Frostbite 2 but it's certainly got great production values and great game designs, and it's free-to-play with micro transactions."

Free-to-play has been around for a long, long time, but we've recently witnessed an increasing amount of developers and publishers adopting the business model. Recently, some very high profile games went free-to-play most notably Dungeons & Dragons Online, The Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan and quite possibly the biggest - Team Fortress 2. Blizzard has just announced that World of Warcraft (which is most probably the most successful game of all time) will be free-to-play - although with a level 20 cap.

It is certainly an interesting trend that seems beneficial to both developers and gamers. I suppose the biggest problem right now is that games that are designed from the start as free-to-play are lacking in production values. However, if there is really that much money to be made there, we might see more and more free-to-play with higher budgets.

Your thoughts?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

**** free to play.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I actually think more because look at TF2 it's a hat simulator.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I don't mind free to play games until the items attainable through microtransactions begin to give certain players gameplay advantages over others.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

F2p is fine as long as it isn;t pay to win like 90 percent of f2p are

onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 onebeelo
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts
its a good idea but you just know they will start making you pay for that better gun or that stat increase which sucks if they gave u tdm free for example, then made u pay for different game modes, or new maps or those kinds of things then it wouldnt be as bad
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

its a good idea but you just know they will start making you pay for that better gun or that stat increase which sucks if they gave u tdm free for example, then made u pay for different game modes, or new maps or those kinds of things then it wouldnt be as badonebeelo

As I read your first sentence I was thinking "well they got to make money somewhere right?", but then I read the second part and I agree 100%.

That would definitely be the best way to deal with the whole F2P thing without making unbalanced games. Offer one, unalterable mode of play with a couple of maps, and make the users pay to access the rest of the content (maps, modes, whatever).

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="onebeelo"]its a good idea but you just know they will start making you pay for that better gun or that stat increase which sucks if they gave u tdm free for example, then made u pay for different game modes, or new maps or those kinds of things then it wouldnt be as badReddestSkies

As I read your first sentence I was thinking "well they got to make money somewhere right?", but then I read the second part and I agree 100%.

That would definitely be the best way to deal with the whole F2P thing without making unbalanced games. Offer one, unalterable mode of play with a couple of maps, and make the users pay to access the rest of the content (maps, modes, whatever).

The problem is they would actually have to work, they can't just make a new op weapon.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

IMO, a game is only F2P as long as every usable in-game item is free to get.
The difference between paying money and not paying money should be time based, either spend 30 hours playing or spend 1 hour working.
LoL did quite a good job with the F2P system.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

**** free to play.

ZombieKiller7
Pretty much. I dislike the entire business model. People are at a disadvantage if they don't buy as much as the next person. Just make everything subscription based so that it's fair for everyone...
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#11 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

**** free to play.

JustPlainLucas
Pretty much. I dislike the entire business model. People are at a disadvantage if they don't buy as much as the next person. Just make everything subscription based so that it's fair for everyone...

That's something most F2P games are trying to overcome. F2P design has been a popular talking point around the upcoming AoE: Online, it's just not as straightforward as a flat out subscription. The problem for me is that I like to support developers with a concrete product. I just dont like the idea of purchase virtual goods, especially if I can play to access it. But it it works in regions outside of consolemerica, then I think there is something for developers to work for if the demand is there for games under a F2P system.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Well, if it stops piracy from destroying the markets...

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
its not a bad idea. it would like how google handles their business
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
I'd rather have it destroyed than sold to use one virtual piece at a time.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

F2p is fine as long as it isn;t pay to win like 90 percent of f2p are

James161324

90% of F2P mmos are PvE so theres nothing to win.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

I hope more games start adopting LoL's model. It's very elegant for multiplayer-only games.

Edit: UIF, LoL tackled the low budget problem by starting out with a small but very polished product developed by only a couple of people, and then producing more content as they picked up players. By now it features a ridiculous number of unique heroes. I think such a model can be adopted for most multiplayer genres successfully. No one plays multiplayer games for the voice acting or cutscenes or high end graphics.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

**** free to play.

JustPlainLucas

That's a very ignorant claim. Name one successful F2P multiplayer game that gives considerable advantage to people who pay for extra content, because I haven't run into any yet.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

**** free to play.

inoperativeRS

That's a very ignorant claim. Name one successful F2P multiplayer game that gives considerable advantage to people who pay for extra content, because I haven't run into any yet.

I remember in battlefield heroes you were pretty much godmode if you had the dosh for the top weapons
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Not a fan of it. Playing Dungeons and Dragons online the stock quests are nowhere near as fun and nuanced as the pay quests. There is also access to more powerfull character races, gear ....etc. It sounds like some games like TF2 have gotten the model right but most ive seen.... well you may as well be paying a monthly fee it would actually be a lot cheaper. ITs just another way to wring money out of suckers.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Not a fan of it. Playing Dungeons and Dragons online the stock quests are nowhere near as fun and nuanced as the pay quests. There is also access to more powerfull character races, gear ....etc.

I'm not really a fan of the model for PvE games in general (or anything with a story), but for pure PvP like LoL or TF2 it can work very well. I haven't played Battlefield Heroes but fair enough. I don't like any model that sells weapons/in-game bonuses for real money. LoL's model is excellent in that it makes it possible to obtain all heroes either by paying or playing, gives no in-game advantage to people who pay real money, but does give the paying customers access to a huge database of skins for their heroes which F2P players don't have. It's just SO well done.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I have little experience with free to play games (my daughters play some online games where the play is free, but they try to sell costumes and pets and suchlike). *Shrugs* So long as the amount of money I wind up shelling out in the end is the same or less (I've never actually bought my kids any of the F2P stuff) F2P is fine by me.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

I'd rather have it destroyed than sold to use one virtual piece at a time.

No market - no games.
mission76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 mission76
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts

This coming from the same video game maker that wants people to pay real money to unlock outfits for thier golfers in the newest Tiger Woods. I saw that and could not believe it...only thing that shocked me more was the people I played online that actually did it. Young men are primarily the video game consumer...they are paying real money to dress up thier "dollies" in a virtual world. Makes me laugh and thank the heavens I was brought up in a different generation

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

So instead of "pay to play" then think about going to the "pay to gain" system?