Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Have you ever 'forced yourself' to play or to continue to play game

and why?

I have heard of people doing this but i didnt get the opportunity to explore why they would do such a thing

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts
@tryit said:

and why?

I have heard of people doing this but i didnt get the opportunity to explore why they would do such a thing

Try and broaden my horizons and play games outside my comfort-zone. And considering I started gaming casually on dance mats in the arcades; it shows how much that open minded mentality paid-off_

Usually if I think a game isn't for me, I will throw it like a bad habit.

Have a personal rule called the hour(s) system. And works well, my time for gaming is special to me so I don't want to play praised garbage. It's only if friends convince me to give it another go that it even enters my mind. And even then I ponder on the idea while playing something else.

The latter is the only time I've "forced myself to continue playing a game", and the last example of that was Dragon's Age: Inquisition back in 2014. And at least I learned never to take Bioware fans taste into consideration.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

and why?

Try and broaden my horizons and play games outside my comfort-zone. And considering I started gaming casually on dance mats in the arcades; it shows how much that open minded mentality paid-off_

Usually if I think a game isn't for me, I will throw it like a bad habit.

Have a personal rule called the hour(s) system. And works well for me, my time for gaming is special to me so I don't want to play praised garbage. It's only if friends convince me to give it another go that it even enters my mind. And even then I ponder on the idea while playing something else.

The latter is the only time I've "forced myself to continue playing a game", and the last example of that was Dragon's Age: Inquisition back in 2014. And at least I learned never to take Bioware fans taste into consideration.

all awesome right there.

very reasonable

meelomeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 meelomeelo
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Just chill, dude!

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

I'll do if it's a REALLY long game that I initially enjoyed but burned me out, either by being repetitive or by being too long (or both in some cases). The Witcher 3 (repetitive) and Persona 5 (too long) come to mind as instances where I had to force myself to finish.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

I forced myself to play bioshock infinite to me it was just a drag to get through it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt
@meelomeelo said:

Just chill, dude!

??

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt
@rafaelmsoares said:

I'll do if it's a REALLY long game that I initially enjoyed but burned me out, either by being repetitive or by being too long (or both in some cases). The Witcher 3 (repetitive) and Persona 5 (too long) come to mind as instances where I had to force myself to finish.

why?

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

@tryit said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

why?

Because of the time that was already invested in the game... not finishing it would be like starting a movie and turning it off with only 15 minutes left.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TryIt
@rafaelmsoares said:
@tryit said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

why?

Because of the time that was already invested in the game... not finishing it would be like starting a movie and turning it off with only 15 minutes left.

ah ok fair enough.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#12 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Yes I did in the last few miles in Persona 5. The last guy that we change his heart until the end of Memento did felt so stupid long.

It also feel like a drag when I replay a game. I don't feel games are worth a second playthrough anymore. You go through the game, got some trophies and well ... this is it pretty much it.

So far the Switch has been a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

If I don't finish a game I feel it's a waste of money.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
@warmblur said:

If I don't finish a game I feel it's a waste of money.

Ultimately depends if one thinks the expense of a game is worth the value of free time.

In my experience, time is more important than a bad/ mediocre game.

@robert_sparkes said: I forced myself to play bioshock infinite to me it was just a drag to get through it.

Yeah, wasn't a fan of Bioshock Infinite either. Which is a shame because the original is one of the few FPS games I enjoy. Never finished Infinite myself, three hours in and was bored out my mind.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

I played Ocarina of Time. And I really didn’t “like” the game. But I can see why it’s rated as a great game. At least it is very innovative. Plus as a gamer, it’s important to know about what’s considered the greatest game of all time. Important to know something about it. If you talk to someone about OOT, you really can’t do that if you don’t know the topic.

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts
@rafaelmsoares said:
@tryit said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

why?

Agreed. I have a thing about finishing things I start, so I always try to finish every game I play, and sometimes that means forcing myself even after I get bored with it. But that's why I always milk the games by doing all the side stuff until I get bored and just finish the story when I feel like I'm done with it.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I've kinda forced my way through a few games... reasons would be:

* being able to properly review and discuss with others

* knowing that you've really given it a chance just in case it gets better (though that is rarely the case!)

* getting money's worth - because if I just bought a new game every time my current games got boring it'd be very expensive!

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I've never really forced myself to play, unless I'm giving a game a good chance like dying light, I just didn't like the story or game play. I'll return it, tho I recently move to the middle of no where and can't do that but I can always sell for an extra $10 profit due to no one being able to get games on disc unless you get it posted.

@warmblur: Why don't you return it?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@npiet1 said:

I've never really forced myself to play, unless I'm giving a game a good chance like dying light, I just didn't like the story or game play. I'll return it, tho I recently move to the middle of no where and can't do that but I can always sell for an extra $10 profit due to no one being able to get games on disc unless you get it posted.

@warmblur: Why don't you return it?

Well most of the time I'm past the two hour mark on Steam and can't get a refund other times I can refund it right away if I know I'm not going to like it. But most of the time I know enough what I like it's just sometimes the game will throw a unexpected grind or repetitive missions like the case with Mafia 3. The game started awesome then later the those tedious missions came out and it was to late to refund it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

If I find myself forcing into a game to play that's usually when I quit, because the game to me isn't enjoyable anymore.

I really liked Persona 5 but after 12 hours and it still being a tutorial, I just couldn't play it anymore. I do think I'll go back to it though

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Yeah, sometimes. If I think I'm close then I'll do what I can to finish it off just for the sake of completing it. Other times the story might be delivering on a game even if the gameplay doesn't, so I'll keep playing it to find out what happens. I don't care about achievements so that's never a motivating factor.

-Byshop

rhoadsxiommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rhoadsxiommi
Member since 2018 • 75 Posts

@tryit: neh, there gave been a couple games i’ve forced myself to play, after laying money on them and not feeling completely satisfied.

Dragon age comes to mind (pretty sure that’ll make some rpg fans cringe).

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RSM-HQ
@rhoadsxiommi said:

neh, there gave been a couple games i’ve forced myself to play, after laying money on them and not feeling completely satisfied.

Dragon age comes to mind (pretty sure that’ll make some rpg fans cringe).

I don't get the Dragon Age love either, or even Bioware for that matter

Played a few hours of Origin and finished Inquisition. They've got terrible gameplay and level design. With a story far too bloated and political for my taste. And let's not even go into how terrible the camera control is.

Plus it's one of those games fans tell you "it's better if you read the books"

. . .

If you need to read a book to enjoy a video game, that video game has failed.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@RSM-HQ: LIke FF15 that you need to see the movie and a few episode to get the stupid story that has way too much in common with FF6

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt
@loodko_koopus said:
@rafaelmsoares said:
@tryit said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

why?

Agreed. I have a thing about finishing things I start, so I always try to finish every game I play, and sometimes that means forcing myself even after I get bored with it. But that's why I always milk the games by doing all the side stuff until I get bored and just finish the story when I feel like I'm done with it.

What if the game doesnt have a finish?

I ask because 100% of the games I play do not have an ending

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RSM-HQ
@clefdefa said:

@RSM-HQ: LIke FF15 that you need to see the movie and a few episode to get the stupid story that has way too much in common with FF6

I've never personally considered much of the Final Fantasy games either; so my natural assumption is games like Dragon Age and Final Fantasy have a certain dedicated fanbase that like the flaws they dish-out and likely see them as positives.

@tryit said: What if the game doesnt have a finish?

Games without definitive 'endings' are coined by developers as life-style games, because they're built for replayability with no (key) end goal objective.

I'd state about 20% of games I play work this way, yet I don't mind linear experiences also, so long as they're well crafted and catered to my taste.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

For some reason Deus Ex 1's setting and story weren't very interesting for me and after the first mission I was "Forcing myself to play it" until I gave up in the next mission.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:
@clefdefa said:

I've never personally considered much of the Final Fantasy games either; so my natural assumption is games like Dragon Age and Final Fantasy have a certain dedicated fanbase that like the flaws they dish-out and likely see them as positives.

@tryit said: What if the game doesnt have a finish?

Games without definitive 'endings' are coined by developers as life-style games, because they're built for replayability with no (key) end goal objective.

I'd state about 20% of games I play work this way, yet I don't mind linear experiences also, so long as they're well crafted and catered to my taste.

but what if a game doesnt have an ending?

do force yourself to continue to play beyond the point of boredom?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RSM-HQ
@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Nope. Only continue to play/ return to 'life-style' games if they are enjoyable to play_

Depends on the game certainly, but if I don't enjoy what I'm playing? it's cast aside.

Enjoy gaming too much to consider wasting my time with boring experiences.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Nope. Only continue to play/ return to 'life-style' games if they are enjoyable to play_

Depends on the game certainly, but if I don't enjoy what I'm playing? it's cast aside.

Enjoy gaming too much to consider wasting my time with boring experiences.

great answer, thanks

i ask this question arc because I know of gamers who play and complain as if its the worst experience of their life, which leads me to ask such a question

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RSM-HQ

@tryit:

i ask this question arc because I know of gamers who play and complain as if its the worst experience of their life, which leads me to ask such a question

Which is strange seeing as many successful franchises don't have endings, who complains about Overwatch, Tetris, Monster Hunter, Team Fortress, Fortnite, and the whole Fighting game genres lack of an end-game? (just to name a few)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

Which is strange seeing as many successful franchises don't have endings, who complains about Overwatch, Tetris, Monster Hunter, Team Fortress, Fortnite, and the whole Fighting game genres lack of an end-game? (just to name a few)

what I am getting at is that you can select any random game title that is on Steam, go to those forums and likely find at least one post of someone who plays the game regularly is totally raging about the game they are playing

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

For some reason Deus Ex 1's setting and story weren't very interesting for me and after the first mission I was "Forcing myself to play it" until I gave up in the next mission.

Deus ex's story and setting not interesting?

I was just thinking that that game has one of if not THE most interesting story and setting of any game ever made but everyone's different I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@thereal25: I didn't like the way everyone looked robotic and the way they were a hybrid between human and robot.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

Kinda forcing myself, little by little, to play Witcher 2. Its harder than TW3, and not in a fun way. Doing it to know more about the story and lore. It has its moments but compared to TW3 I feel its more a chore.

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

@tryit: Well most of the games I play have some kind of a "finish", mostly just meaning story-wise. I rarely play games without an end, and if I do I simply play them till I get bored of it (which is usually pretty fast, I'm a real sucker for narrative). In my experience, I usually get bored somewhere between 40 and 60 hours of game time, depending on the game. It's probably due to my age, I prefer playing 4 different games for 50 hours to playing 1 game for 200. Didn't use to be like that before.

Wigglebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wigglebot
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Metroid Prime during the beginning because it was bland. Pikmin 2 towards the end because the game had gotten extremely repetitive.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

I don't force myself to play the game, the game will be waiting there for me when I come back. I feel like that with The Witcher 3 and Skyrim

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts
@tryit said:

and why?

I have most definitely done this!

Most recently I did it with The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. The latter hurt me the most because I was a fan of the series but this one is just so repetitive I had to force myself to get through it...and even then I havent finished it.

The same goes for TW3, which is a gorgeous game and even with its average action mechanics it is fun to play...but it takes up so much time. An average side quest can take upwards of 90s minutes and I just don't have the time to play through it, although recently I forced myself to spend a solid 4 hours going through it. It was odd because I had forgotten so much of the game, controls and methods.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@tryit said:

and why?

I did this with divinity 2. Not my game turn based solutions. But honestly i heard such great reviews about it that i just forced myself to play through it for a couple of area's and instantly got hooked.

It's a way for me to get into new type of games and open my horizon to more games.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

I 'forced' myself to finish up Demon's Souls when I heard they were shutting down the servers.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

Oh hell yeah. Grinding to finish a game I hate, just so I never have to load it up again. Silly really, just bin it off and get something else.

XGamer1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XGamer1501
Member since 2018 • 11 Posts

Yes, which feels not so good XD Sometimes I just want to give some genres I don't really play often a try, but when you get to that point when you like not enjoy the game anymore, I probably won't force myself too far XD that's why it's important to make sure you love the game before you buy it, I personally watch gameplay on YouTube.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Not sure if going abit off topic but I'm ok till I die then I force my self to replay it from start as dying in games ruins the immersion especially open world survival.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

GTA 4 I felt as though it was a slog to get through found the characters forgettable. Another was an RPG called Alundra on PS1 heard it was the ps Zelda so brought it with my own pocket money. Seemed to go on far too long.

Legonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Legonian
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I feel like I do that with Warcraft now.... play like once every month for a few minutes but can't just pull myself to give up my account.