For how long will physical games exist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts

Im confused here. Microsoft is really pushing the digital only crap, but Sony wants to keep it. Michael Pachter said 10-15 more years with physical discs at a minimum. What do you think?

To be honest, im not sure if I ever will purchase more games if physical value die out.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
Even if I had better download speeds I would still buy physical copies... I just prefer it. I hope they do stick around for years to come.
BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
Download speeds and cap limits are no issue here. Still I prefer physical.
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

If my provider could give more speed, then I wouldn't mind downloading. I still prefer physical copies, though. What I'm thinking about is all of the hard drive space taken up on consoles for the library of games that would be downloaded. How much would it increase the console prices to have a 1TB drive for each?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
Microsoft can do what they want but Sony is going to give the gamers what they want and I myself prefer the actual disc so then I don't have to worry about the size of the hard drive.
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Forever. Hell, arcades still exist.

If we're talking until it is no longer mainstream, it will continue to be preferred until we can re-sell and trade digital copies of games the way we can sell physical games now. And no, family sharing alone isn't going to cut it. For without that, it would have be significantly cheaper. Like Steam sales on consoles.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

Here's the thing: game companies have a powerful motivation to go all-digital since it is much cheaper for them than physical copies. Think about all of the people who get paid to publish the discs and then put them into stores for us to buy. That dramatically lowers the income for the game companies from the physical copies. Downloads, however, only involve maintaining the internet servers and such. This issue will have a big impact on digital vs physical. We may all be forced to accept digital eventually, once internet access has reached a plateau of accessibility.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope they stick around forever.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I believe they'll be around for the new generation, but gone after it's over. ie: PS5 and on up will probably be all-digital.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

while internet speeds and data caps arent an issue for me, i would always chose physical copies.. so im hoping that they will be around for many years.. i can see sony supporting them into the gen after not sure what format they'll be on..

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I much prefer having my games on disc, that way if I get bored of a game or dont like it then I can trade it in! You cant get a refund on a game you downloaded!

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

sukraj
Yep, I enjoy having a collection.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

sukraj
This. I don't see myself ever going full digital, and if a time ever comes where I have no other choice... then that'll be the end of gaming for me.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

I think we will have them throughout the next console gen but not after, only thing that worries me about it is the whole we are "licensed" our product thing. When all is digital maybe after a while we can only download our "license" a set number of times or own it a set number of years to encourage a re-buy. That's only speculation though.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

YoshiYogurt

Yep, I enjoy having a collection.

Me too brah

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I would hope that physical copies never go away.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I think they will stick around for at least one more gen after the PS4 and Xbox1. I get that there are advantages to digital, but at this point not enough for me to switch completely.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

sukraj

Amen!

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

I think when the next gen consoles come out the one after the XboxOne and PS4 that will be when it all goes digital.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#20 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Good question. I hope they'll remain an option for quite some time. I still refuse to pay full price for a digital version of a game. Granted, I almost never pay full price for any games, but if I do, it's going to be a physical copy.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Im confused here. Microsoft is really pushing the digital only crap, but Sony wants to keep it. Michael Pachter said 10-15 more years with physical discs at a minimum. What do you think?

To be honest, im not sure if I ever will purchase more games if physical value die out.

BuldozerX
When a digital copy can give you the same feeling you get from a physical copy, then its game over for the physical disc. I buy a lot of my games on steam but games i REALLY want i usually buy in a collectors/special edition which just isent the same in a digital version. Also sometimes its nicer to have a physical copy. So i dont see it ending 10-20-30 years in the future, it will last my lifetime at least.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Until the day comes where the internet is ubiquitous. That's the determining factor.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Good question. I hope they'll remain an option for quite some time. I still refuse to pay full price for a digital version of a game. Granted, I almost never pay full price for any games, but if I do, it's going to be a physical copy.SoNin360
I picked up every GTA game and all the DLC for $12 recently. You just can't do that with physical copies.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Here's the thing: game companies have a powerful motivation to go all-digital since it is much cheaper for them than physical copies. Think about all of the people who get paid to publish the discs and then put them into stores for us to buy. That dramatically lowers the income for the game companies from the physical copies. Downloads, however, only involve maintaining the internet servers and such. This issue will have a big impact on digital vs physical. We may all be forced to accept digital eventually, once internet access has reached a plateau of accessibility.

Barujin
Not to mention that going digital-only would effectively mean the end of the used gaming market, which is something a lot of publishers have been trying to do away with for quite some time now. Anyways, I'm hoping physical copies will continue to exist for a long time because the infrastructure for a digital-only gaming experience simply does not exist yet in many countries, including the U.S. Also, there is always the issue of preserving video games from bygone eras, something that will get much more difficult when physical media is abandoned.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

I think they'll use physical copies for gen 8(this upcoming gen) and gen 9. After that I'm not too sure if physical copies will be sticking around. They might make them still for a special edition of a big game here and there. But by than I feel mass digital distribution could easily prosper more, though I personally enjoy physical copies much more.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 TigerSpiderman
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Forever, it will just be smaller.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#27 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
As Michael Pachter said it, as long as there is a demand for it it's going to exist
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#28 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
[QUOTE="SoNin360"]Good question. I hope they'll remain an option for quite some time. I still refuse to pay full price for a digital version of a game. Granted, I almost never pay full price for any games, but if I do, it's going to be a physical copy.donalbane
I picked up every GTA game and all the DLC for $12 recently. You just can't do that with physical copies.

You're right, sales for digital games are amazing. Everything digital I have that's been purchased was bought at a discount. As I said, I refuse to pay full price for a digital game. I wouldn't mind buying more digital if it meant paying less than physical copies from the get-go.