Final Fantasy VII overrated?????

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 cjohnson007
Member since 2008 • 171 Posts

I love the FF series i've played them all and they all are great. The first one i ever played was FF VIII and i feel like that is the best one on the PSone.

Now please dont get mad at me for saying this cuz i know someone will but........

I feel that FF VII is a little overrated. Yes i know it help launch RPG's in the direction that they are today but i mean as far as story and characters FF VIII had it goin on. Lunatic Pandora, The SeeDs, Estar, Ade, Ultimecia, Laguna Lorie, and a whole lot of other things.

Now don't get me wrong i like FF VII i even plan to Cosplay as a character yet i digress...FF VIII i feel was way better that FF VII. Cuz it took what that established and took it to the next level.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts

I felt VII and VIII both marked somewhat of a decline for the series, honestly, while IX brought about a brief return to glory before X continued changing the series beyond recognition.

To this day, I-VI and IX are the only ones I consider "true" Final Fantasy games.

thebrown07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 thebrown07
Member since 2005 • 1487 Posts

Mate, Final Fantasy VII is sweet! Have you played Crisis Core? If you havent you should, absolutly amazing game that really gives you some great background to FFVII.

Influential with great plot and at the time great visuals.

Peace Out

Icey

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I felt VII and VIII both marked somewhat of a decline for the series, honestly, while IX brought about a brief return to glory before X continued changing the series beyond recognition.

To this day, I-VI and IX are the only ones I consider "true" Final Fantasy games.

DarkCatalyst

Elitest much Dark? The "true Final Fantasy games?" Are there fake ones?:|

Hooboy, this thread will either die quickly or drag on for the next 50. Personally Dark, you have it all completely backwards.

Anyway, VIII was the game VII should have been and in my view, exposed VII for having been a rushed product to help boost PS1 console sales in the early going. VIII was the bold new direction showcasing the PS1's graphical capabilities that VII should have done, but failed.

In terms of gameplay, VII was a step backwards from VI. It takes more than mushy sensationalism and 32-bit graphics to obscure that. FF IX was an unispired cash grab oozing with brazen mediocrity. IX should have included the subtitle "We Confess, We're Out Of Ideas."

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I know what you mean, I regard Final Fantasy VIII as my favourite Final Fantasy game.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

MarcusAntonius

Hooboy, this thread will either die quickly or drag on for the next 50. Personally Dark, you have it all completely backwards.

Anyway, VIII was the game VII should have been and in my view, exposed VII for having been a rushed product to help boost PS1 console sales in the early going. VIII was the bold new direction showcasing the PS1's graphical capabilities that VII should have done, but failed.

In terms of gameplay, VII was a step backwards from VI. It takes more than mushy sensationalism and 32-bit graphics to obscure that. FF IX was an unispired cash grab oozing with brazen mediocrity. IX should have included the subtitle "We Confess, We're Out Of Ideas."

That's right, I'm elitist. And god damn proud of it. I have a strict set of standards that I hold long-running series to, nothing short of a litmus test. Whenever I pick up a release in such a series, I have a set of expectations, not the least of which being that I have to be left feeling like I am playing something that fits squarely in with the older games. As far as I'm concerned, IX is the only one out of the 3D installments that felt like it belonged alongside the 2D titles. VII and VIII felt too different, VIII to a much more severe degree. I didn't feel like I was playing Final Fantasy at all, and that left me detached and unenthusiastic.

IX, in comparison, felt like a great big thank-you card from Square for sticking by them for that lull, and I just wish they had maintained that approach into the PS2 years. The way I see it is, if I didn't want a typical Final Fantasy game, I wouldn't buy something with that name on the box. Of course, now the name has been so exploited and bastardized that it's become meaningless, and with all the original creators gone, it's really impossible for me to build any enthusiasm for XIII. Unless the situation changes drastically, I'll probably only buy the remakes out of the series from this point on (that said, I am loving FFIV DS).

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MarcusAntonius
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

DarkCatalyst

That's right, I'm elitist. And god damn proud of it. I have a strict set of standards that I hold long-running series to, nothing short of a litmus test. Whenever I pick up a release in such a series, I have a set of expectations, not the least of which being that I have to be left feeling like I am playing something that fits squarely in with the older games. As far as I'm concerned, IX is the only one out of the 3D installments that felt like it belonged alongside the 2D titles. VII and VIII felt too different, VIII to a much more severe degree. I didn't feel like I was playing Final Fantasy at all, and that left me detached and unenthusiastic.

IX, in comparison, felt like a great big thank-you card from Square for sticking by them for that lull, and I just wish they had maintained that approach into the PS2 years. The way I see it is, if I didn't want a typical Final Fantasy game, I wouldn't buy something with that name on the box. Of course, now the name has been so exploited and bastardized that it's become meaningless, and with all the original creators gone, it's really impossible for me to build any enthusiasm for XIII. Unless the situation changes drastically, I'll probably only buy the remakes out of the series from this point on (that said, I am loving FFIV DS).

That's all well and good, misguided and pretentious, but fine nonetheless. You still rated V, undeniably the worst game of the series as a better game than VII, VIII, X, and XII which is among the looniest statements I've ever read in all my years at Gamespot. Personally, I think FF will benefit more from the old guard being gone. How's Sakaguchi doing at Mistwalker? Precisely my point. FF continues to evolve and grow while Mistwalker's games are clinging to the past and are much maligned for being old school to a fault.

The old guard's refusal to change held SE back last-gen. X, while not a bad game necessarily, should have come packaged with training wheels. It was tweaked from the same 'ol same 'ol, but the linearity was suffocating. Thank goodness XII broke new ground for the series, inspite of failing to mask its obvious influences and its maddening use of JRPG cliched characters. Old habits are hard to break, but SE is learning and I can't wait to see more of XIII, I haven't been excited for a FF game in over a decade.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkCatalyst
That's all well and good, misguided and pretentious, but fine nonetheless. You still rated V, undeniably the worst game of the series as a better game than VII, VIII, X, and XII which is among the looniest statements I've ever read in all my years at Gamespot. Personally, I think FF will benefit more from the old guard being gone. How's Sakaguchi doing at Mistwalker? Precisely my point. FF continues to evolve and grow while Mistwalker's games are clinging to the past and are much maligned for being old school to a fault.

The old guard's refusal to change held SE back last-gen. X, while not a bad game necessarily, should have come packaged with training wheels. It was tweaked from the same 'ol same 'ol, but the linearity was suffocating. Thank goodness XII broke new ground for the series, inspite of failing to mask its obvious influences and its maddening use of JRPG cliched characters. Old habits are hard to break, but SE is learning and I can't wait to see more of XIII, I haven't been excited for a FF game in over a decade.MarcusAntonius

The job system alone makes V one of my absolute favorites. Not only do I rank it higher than VII, VIII, X, and XII, I also rank it above most of the ones I feel actually fit in with the series.

And for the record, I love Mistwalker's efforts thus far.

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

DarkCatalyst

Yup as Marcus pretty much stated V a superior offering to VII, VIII or X? Closed-minded much? The series has always been about pushing the JRPG forward and that's what it's always done, while some may turn their nose up at XI and XII fell short of being the best Final Fantasy in the series (simply due to the later half of the game in my opinion... story wise) the series has done remarkably well at pushing the boundaries of what we expect from these types of game.

Every game is meant to be a NEW experience and I fail to see how VII or VIII don't meet that criteria (series staples and genre faults aside), that you personally disliked them fine, but yes your statement comes off as ignorant and very single minded. The only thing that should define what a Final Fantasy should be is an excellent story driven experience, with outstanding production values and exciting new approaches to the JRPG genre staples, every game in the series (to a lesser or greater extent) have done this and while I may dislike some entries more than others (I hated VIII and find it the least compelling game story wise) none of them are 'not' Final Fantasy titles...

To the opener. Final Fantasy VII is most cetainly not overrated.

It is the top selling entry in the series, met with universal critical acclaim, commands some of the most loyal fans around, and made the Playstation brand what it is today? I'd say it's quite hard to overrate the game, personal prefferance aside. Though in my opinion it was the superior offering to VIII...

Most people's first Final Fantasy seems to be their favourite... so I'd reccomend trying to look outside personal preffernce as to whether something is overrated.

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cjohnson007

Games are evolving everyday so there is gonna be changes. While FF I and II and others are good. Even the new ones are good. Though X2 was the worst choice to make in my opinon. All the other are unique in there way. If every final fantasy was the same they wouldnt bring in a new audience.

But back to the subject at hand. Ive played Crisis Core and yeah it give a back story but any FF game could use a game for a back story. And on top of that Crisis Core was way to easy goin through the missions then back to the game. Bahmut Zero took me about a minute to two minutes to beat. And i was pretty sure i was gonna get my behind handed to me in that battle.

Final Fantasy IX was great i liked that one as well. X was different in a way but still was a good experiance. X-2 Chick flick. FFXI not into MMORPGs. FFXII i thought was awesome. It was different but it worked though the story was different from pass games like lacking a love interest but the battle system was cool Though i do wish the summon aka espers had a bigger part.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MarcusAntonius

The only thing you should really question about FF7 is wtf Dirge of the Cerberus was. Everything else deserves it's popularity. If it was anyother game you would say the same thing. Just accept that it's better than Galo 3.CoreoVII

I hope that was a typo.

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cjohnson007
When i say overrated i mean making a ton of spin offs and what not. Its not like the other FF games deserves that.
cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cjohnson007

[QUOTE="CoreoVII"]The only thing you should really question about FF7 is wtf Dirge of the Cerberus was. Everything else deserves it's popularity. If it was anyother game you would say the same thing. Just accept that it's better than Galo 3.MarcusAntonius

I hope that was a typo.

I never got into the Halo craze and dont plan on it

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst
Yup as Marcus pretty much stated V a superior offering to VII, VIII or X? Closed-minded much? The series has always been about pushing the JRPG forward and that's what it's always done, while some may turn their nose up at XI and XII fell short of being the best Final Fantasy in the series (simply due to the later half of the game in my opinion... story wise) the series has done remarkably well at pushing the boundaries of what we expect from these types of game.

Every game is meant to be a NEW experience and I fail to see how VII or VIII don't meet that criteria (series staples and genre faults aside), that you personally disliked them fine, but yes your statement comes off as ignorant and very single minded. The only thing that should define what a Final Fantasy should be is an excellent story driven experience, with outstanding production values and exciting new approaches to the JRPG genre staples, every game in the series (to a lesser or greater extent) have done this and while I may dislike some entries more than others (I hated VIII and find it the least compelling game story wise) none of them are 'not' Final Fantasy titles...

To the opener. Final Fantasy VII is most cetainly not overrated.

It is the top selling entry in the series, met with universal critical acclaim, commands some of the most loyal fans around, and made the Playstation brand what it is today? I'd say it's quite hard to overrate the game, personal prefferance aside. Though in my opinion it was the superior offering to VIII...

Most people's first Final Fantasy seems to be their favourite... so I'd reccomend trying to look outside personal preffernce as to whether something is overrated.Arath_1

I find it hilarious that people are trying to discredit my opinion when one can be neither legitimized or illegitimized.

Here's what it comes down to.

I bought Final Fantasy VIII with a fair definition of the series in mind, based upon all previous installments. People may not like that definition, but that's not my problem. If I had not wanted something that didn't offer that kind of experience, I would've gone for one of the many other RPGs out at that time that were not called Final Fantasy.

I played Final Fantasy VIII. I did not like it, and there were definable, tangible reasons I did not like it. Single-minded? Fine, but isn't that to be expected? When I pick up the controller, the game is being held up against my tastes and only my tastes. It's not like I can remove my own gaming likes and dislikes, and junction someone else's while I play, and frankly I wouldn't care to do that even if it were possible.

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

7 isn't overrated, its overappreciated. In the society of the used game, the sheer fact that nobody is willing to part with their copy is the only factor seperating this from Halo or Super Mario 64. People who play FF7 keep it when they're done.

While collectors have been doing this to obscure games (Sega RPG's and unperforming NES games come to mind) for years. The public found themselves of the opinion that they actually enjoyed FF7 enough to play it again instead of getting a fast $25 by trading it in.

This makes it difficult for someone like me, who lost my first disc to a bad cleaning procedure. Even with 7 million copies floating around the US alone, the demand has drove the price of a normal version to $50-$75 per copy.

Why does the demand exist? Because there is only one true way to play FF7. Everyone should have seen it coming when the computer version wasn't updated for XP, but no one understood what backwards compatibility of the Playstation would mean to decade-old titles. It means expensive common games,where value (and falsely rarity) is percieved by public opinion. And retailers are suckering consumers every day by pricing other RPG's for roughly the trade-in value of FF7. It's dirty, and its creating much more demand for a game that was everywhere before this happened.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarcusAntonius
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

[QUOTE="CoreoVII"]The only thing you should really question about FF7 is wtf Dirge of the Cerberus was. Everything else deserves it's popularity. If it was anyother game you would say the same thing. Just accept that it's better than Galo 3.cjohnson007

I hope that was a typo.

I never got into the Halo craze and dont plan on it

Then don't call it "Galo." Homophobia sucks and makes you look sexually insecure.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MarcusAntonius

I find it hilarious that people are trying to discredit my opinion when one can be neither legitimized or illegitimized.

DarkCatalyst

That's cool, I'm fine with that. If you have actual, tangible reasons for not liking the games, that's even better. But I-V being the "true Final Fantasy games" is quite a stretch.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

MarcusAntonius

That's cool, I'm fine with that. If you have actual, tangible reasons for not liking the games, that's even better. But I-V being the "true Final Fantasy games" is quite a stretch.

I-VI and IX. Maybe call VII borderline, depending on where you want to draw said line. There's no denying a consistency amongst those that just isn't there with the ones outside that list.

Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts

I think so, I mean they are great titles (all the 7 spin offs) and even 7 itself is a great game, but I think people DO overrate it just because it was many peoples first Final Fantasy. There are so many Final Fantasy titles and Hell, RPG's in general that are better games than FF7 (In my humble opinion)

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cjohnson007

I think so, I mean they are great titles (all the 7 spin offs) and even 7 itself is a great game, but I think people DO overrate it just because it was many peoples first Final Fantasy. There are so many Final Fantasy titles and Hell, RPG's in general that are better games than FF7 (In my humble opinion)

Finaru

Yeah i feel where you are coming from. I played Legend of Dragoon on the PSone and a loved that game. Not the best of RPG's but i liked it. I think that is one of the must underappreciated RPG's of all time

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

DarkCatalyst

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said here!

(Except I did enjoy 8 a bit more than 7...)

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

FF7 is the first japanese rpg to become a mainstream success in the west, and it opened the floodgates to many subsequent rpg's that otherwise would have never made it stateside. It is easily one of the top 10 most influential games ever, ranking right up there with super mario brothers and street fighter 2 in its impact. It deserves its spot in gaming history.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
It's over-rated depending on who you ask. Fanboys will say it isn't over-rated and that heaven consists of taking Cloud's place in the game itself. Haters will say that it is and compare it to shoving 30 black widows up your ***. I, however, don't care either way. It was a good game, no more, no less.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MarcusAntonius

FF7 is the first japanese rpg to become a mainstream success in the west, and it opened the floodgates to many subsequent rpg's that otherwise would have never made it stateside. It is easily one of the top 10 most influential games ever, ranking right up there with super mario brothers and street fighter 2 in its impact. It deserves its spot in gaming history.

UT_Wrestler

That's a popular myth. But without the commercial successes of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (VI), there may not have been a FF VII in the west. Let's not forget Zelda, with its RPG elements, Dragon Warrior, Phantasy Star, Breath of Fire, and a host of other titles in the genre. RPGs were already quite mainstream at the time as I have demonstrated. Note, I haven't even brought up traditionally PC RPGs such as Ultima.

Your claims of FF VII's influence are grossly exaggerated at best, sheer make believe at worst.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UT_Wrestler
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 (well that's what it was called in the US) sold in the hundreds of thousands in the U.S., Final Fantasy 7 was a multimillion seller here. Most people don't consider a game a mainstream success unless it sells in the millions.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarcusAntonius

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 (well that's what it was called in the US) sold in the hundreds of thousands in the U.S., Final Fantasy 7 was a multimillion seller here. Most people don't consider a game a mainstream success unless it sells in the millions.UT_Wrestler

You can't compare the times like that. By the 32-bit age, the gaming industry had begun to grow exponentially driven by the emergence of Sony. Besides, the game was still available for sale and playable a next-gen console-the PS2, giving it a much bigger window of visibility. The gaming industry had changed radically from the comparitively humble 16-bit era.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UT_Wrestler

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 (well that's what it was called in the US) sold in the hundreds of thousands in the U.S., Final Fantasy 7 was a multimillion seller here. Most people don't consider a game a mainstream success unless it sells in the millions.MarcusAntonius

You can't compare the times like that. By the 32-bit age, the gaming industry had begun to grow exponentially driven by the emergence of Sony. Besides, the game was still available for sale and playable a next-gen console-the PS2 giving it a much bigger window. The gaming industry had changed radically from the comparitively humble 16-bit era.

There were plenty of nes and snes games that sold millions of copies, and final fantasy 7 had sold millions long before sony even began talking about a new console, so I really don't see why it still being sold after 2001 even has any relevance. Most american gamers didn't even know what an rpg was before FF7.

metaldude05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 metaldude05
Member since 2008 • 978 Posts
i think so. not that its not a great game. its just so many people swear by it. most people think im crazy but out of the three ive played 7,8, and 10 i liked 8 the best. just my opinion i guess
blacksiteninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blacksiteninja
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
ive played every final fantasy game and i loved 7, i dont consider it overrated
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

i think its overrated because of people are nostalgic. its the first rpg for many people and thus its the best for those. imo it was great game but there are many better games...

also i want to add few lines for DarkCatalyst,i dont understand why you dont think 7 and 8 were not true FF games while accepting 9 ? i think you are looking at them from "fantasy" side... if i'm wrong, what i'll say from this point is probably wrong too but anyway.....

all previous FF titles had human characters ( except some additional ones ) and "fantasy" characters were only enemies... 7 and 8 had some human enemies too, so they are not truly fantasy ? they have different, modern fantasy worlds so they are not truly fantasy ? 9 had all freaks and becamea true fantasy game ?

i think you dislike 7 and 8 due to their world and enemies, but fantasy doesnt mean something freak of nature it means unrestricted imagination. so mixing modern world with magic, monsters, etc are fantasy too.

imo, 9 is the worst FF game from characters to story, i didnt find anything interesting in it. yes i beat it and enjoyed it while playing but that doesnt mean it was great for me. and yes i think 8 was better than 7 too because its flow of story was imo the best, also musics. but my favorite ff game is now 12 thanks to its great gameplay, amazing visuals that made me enjoy walking in it and peaceful musics that dont have any painful battle musics...

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
While the game hasn't aged well visually, the story has aged beautifully and is still very relevant today. I first played the game when I was 12, and I replay it every 3 years or so. Every single time I've replayed it, there's been a little new detail I've discovered that makes me see the story differently. Its like the story has matured with me. Sadly, its the only game from that era that has.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkCatalyst

i think its overrated because of people are nostalgic. its the first rpg for many people and thus its the best for those. imo it was great game but there are many better games...

also i want to add few lines for DarkCatalyst,i dont understand why you dont think 7 and 8 were not true FF games while accepting 9 ? i think you are looking at them from "fantasy" side... if i'm wrong, what i'll say from this point is probably wrong too but anyway.....

all previous FF titles had human characters ( except some additional ones ) and "fantasy" characters were only enemies... 7 and 8 had some human enemies too, so they are not truly fantasy ? they have different, modern fantasy worlds so they are not truly fantasy ? 9 had all freaks and becamea true fantasy game ?

i think you dislike 7 and 8 due to their world and enemies, but fantasy doesnt mean something freak of nature it means unrestricted imagination. so mixing modern world with magic, monsters, etc are fantasy too.

imo, 9 is the worst FF game from characters to story, i didnt find anything interesting in it. yes i beat it and enjoyed it while playing but that doesnt mean it was great for me. and yes i think 8 was better than 7 too because its flow of story was imo the best, also musics. but my favorite ff game is now 12 thanks to its great gameplay, amazing visuals that made me enjoy walking in it and peaceful musics that dont have any painful battle musics...TheLegendKnight

Nah, I don't ever judge a game by its setting or storyline. If I did, there'd be a big place in my heart for those other Final Fantasy games like VII, VIII, and X. I really like Nomura, actually. I like his worlds and I like his characters. I just tend to not like the games that those worlds and characters have happened to land in.

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arath_1

Nah, I don't ever judge a game by its setting or storyline. If I did, there'd be a big place in my heart for those other Final Fantasy games like VII, VIII, and X. I really like Nomura, actually. I like his worlds and I like his characters. I just tend to not like the games that those worlds and characters have happened to land in.

DarkCatalyst

Which leaves us with the question with what is it that you don't find Final Fantasy about the titles? They are all turn based (albeit with their own twist on the system) and since you don't take story or setting into considering what exactly is it that makes you consider VII, VIII not 'true Final Fantasy's'?

Also if there was no debate on peoples opinions there would be no such thing as discussion, we'd all just say what we wanted with no regard for what other people think. That you have your own taste and opinion is fine, but I think most people would like to know why exactly, opinion should be backed up by some form of discussion.

Also I don't see why people are arguing about whether VII was overrated. Personal opinion ASIDE, it is one of the TOP selling Playstation games of all time, it made Sony a serious competitor in the industry and established an unprecedented large market for the genre. Yes the video game industry was growning, but it's growth was in no small part to titles such as Final Fantasy VII, there were landmark titles before it yes, but to deny the impact that VII had is just holding some personal vendetta against it.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I've been there... Back in 97 it was a big thing because of FMV. In addition to having cut-scenes, FFVII gameplay offered alot compared to RPGS backthen. It had lots of sidequests, compelling storyline and characters and being a long game. Square was the RPG monster back in the day. No RPG was at the same quality as FFVII. At least on ps1, I don't remember any and ps1 was dominating. So no I don't think it's overrated.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

Arath_1

Which leaves us with the question with what is it that you don't find Final Fantasy about the titles? They are all turn based (albeit with their own twist on the system) and since you don't take story or setting into considering what exactly is it that makes you consider VII, VIII not 'true Final Fantasy's'?

Also if there was no debate on peoples opinions there would be no such thing as discussion, we'd all just say what we wanted with no regard for what other people think. That you have your own taste and opinion is fine, but I think most people would like to know why exactly, opinion should be backed up by some form of discussion.

Also I don't see why people are arguing about whether VII was overrated. Personal opinion ASIDE, it is one of the TOP selling Playstation games of all time, it made Sony a serious competitor in the industry and established an unprecedented large market for the genre. Yes the video game industry was growning, but it's growth was in no small part to titles such as Final Fantasy VII, there were landmark titles before it yes, but to deny the impact that VII had is just holding some personal vendetta against it.

VII fit to a degree, but I wasn't too pleased about losing the fourth party member. Materia was interesting but, let's face it, not much of an experimental system - you KNEW what you were out to build from the get-go. I had hoped Final Fantasy was LONG past the point of end bosses simply rolling over for you, but Sephiroth did exactly that (Kefka kinda did, but you had to shove a HELL of a lot of Ultima up his ass for that to happen).

VIII was the one I had a REAL problem with. That was where I really started to feel the series was losing me. Still three party members, the SeeD ranking system for money was moronic, enemies levelling with you fails to reward hard work. Junctioning system, while certainly experimental, is far too longwinded and time-consuming (this is where I idealize V - quick and simple two-part customization, LOTS of room to experiment, LOTS of good, fun combinations to be found), drawing 100 of each spell in order to effectively customize takes FOREVER.

That said, X and XII were so misplaced in the Final Fantasy series that I damn near ran to VII and VIII for refuge.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

Arath_1

I agree it sold 7 million units and mgs1 came second. I've played them from final fantasy to FF12 with the exception of the online ff because I'm not into online role playing games. I seriously don't know what makes a certain final fantasy game stand out better than the other if you exclude graphics and stuff that can be updated with technology. The presentation is still the same, the battle system is still the same, the same themes, same art st-yle and same everything. All final fantasy games have the ff mark on them. As I said, they're high quality games and unlike many rpgs, the sound, graphics and gamplay of FF games is always perfected.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="Arath_1"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

DarkCatalyst

VIII was the one I had a REAL problem with. That was where I really started to feel the series was losing me. Still three party members, the SeeD ranking system for money was moronic, enemies levelling with you fails to reward hard work. Junctioning system, while certainly experimental, is far too longwinded and time-consuming (this is where I idealize V - quick and simple two-part customization, LOTS of room to experiment, LOTS of good, fun combinations to be found), drawing 100 of each spell in order to effectively customize takes FOREVER.

The drawing system was the negative aspect of FFVIII battle system but you know what? In defence of my favourite ff game :P it was the only FF which had you make use of everything from summoning powers to physical attacks to magic spells while in other ff games, you could work on magic spells or summoning powers alone and still kill the bad guy. Besides, drawing system is not the ONLY way you could earn spells from. You could refine magic stones into spells once you learn abilities and you get plenty of those in the game.

It doesn't take forever...the game's length is about 90 hours which is nothing compared to FFX and FFXII. My clock stopped at 95 hours with all cards obtained and omega weapon beaten btw.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

My clock stopped at 95 hours with all cards obtained and omega weapon beaten btw. gamingqueen

I remember being completely addicted to that card game!

That said, I don't consider FFVII overrated. Unless you're playing it for the first time now, as graphics have come a long way since then and so many RPG's since have aped it (or elements of it) -that playing it for the first time after playing modern RPG's -FFVII may feel underwhelming in 2008.

It was my first video game RPG (unless you count Zelda games) and the only one I've finished twice. Purists can groan about how it strays from the series but since I have never played any of the previous entries (nor have I any desire to). I could care less about the assertion that it strays.. That actually is the reason I don't care to play the previous ones.

Though I wouldn't necessarily deem it the greatest RPG of all time, it certainly blew me away back in the PS1 era and has a huge nostalgia factor for me. I had never played anything like it. The sense of wonder and discovery I had in FFVII has never been matched in an RPG since. Much like how no adventure game can compare to Super Metroid (Prime came close) for me or any FPS can compare to Doom 2. These were each the first of their respective genres that I played, became completely immersed in and were totally fresh experiences. And since this was the experience for a lot of people in the case of FFVII, I'm guessing that is the reason for the continued gushing over the game.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamingqueen

I only played it to get one card and that one card was the last card I got in the game xD

According to critics, ff9 was the lowest point of the series but that's not true at all. The game was also on ps1 what were they expecting?

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cjohnson007
Someone earlier said somethin about A True Final Fantasy game. Now what is a true Final Fantasy game?? Isnt each FF suppose to be different? To me the Fantasy is the story, characters, and the world in which the game takes place.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Arath_1

I only played it to get one card and that one card was the last card I got in the game xD

According to critics, ff9 was the lowest point of the series but that's not true at all. The game was also on ps1 what were they expecting?

gamingqueen

Just wanted to step in here and state that both Metacritic and GameRankings have Final Fantasy IX at 94 & 93 respectively, with VII commanding a 92 average score on both, with Final Fantasy VIII trailing at 90 on both. The game (IX) has aged amazingly well and was a fantastic swan song for Hironobu Sakaguchi and the golden era of Playstation One RPG's. I say this now because I just so happen to be replaying it... and it's fresh in my mind how great this game is as a culmination and homage to all the games that had gone before it.

A true Final Fantasy for me has always been about being the best of the JRPG genre in all aspects, from presentation to story to gameplay. Like I have said some have fallen short personally but I think Final Fantasy has continued to carry the torch true past what Hironobu Sakaguchi created the series to be and I am as excited as I have been about any Final Fantasy for XIII.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamingqueen

Read those reviews^^ they're good for a laugh! The last review was posted in 2002 no wonder cutscenes would become outdated.

RunOut1724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RunOut1724
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
I wouldn't call FFVII overrated. I wouldn't call it one of the best either. I think it was a solid game with a good story. My personal favorite is FFIV. I love the story and it has the classic RPG gameplay that i enjoy. Call me old school but i still enjoy that type of game play. I like the random encounters and the turn based gameplay. I understand games evolve...but they could just keep bangin out FF's with the classic formula and just change the story and characters and i would keep buying them.
CharacterUlio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CharacterUlio
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

All ffs are overaarted because of the fans are like that.

But some are good some are the cliche jrpg.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Its all a matter of opinion really, most people think FFVII is the best Final fantasy game, personally I think VI, IV, IX and X are better games, I really wasn't found of the gameplay in VII but I love the characters and story in the game.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkCatalyst
The drawing system was the negative aspect of FFVIII battle system but you know what? In defence of my favourite ff game :P it was the only FF which had you make use of everything from summoning powers to physical attacks to magic spells while in other ff games, you could work on magic spells or summoning powers alone and still kill the bad guy. Besides, drawing system is not the ONLY way you could earn spells from. You could refine magic stones into spells once you learn abilities and you get plenty of those in the game.

It doesn't take forever...the game's length is about 90 hours which is nothing compared to FFX and FFXII. My clock stopped at 95 hours with all cards obtained and omega weapon beaten btw.gamingqueen

See, that isn't a positive as far as I'm concerned. In past games, you could set up your party to suit your specific playsty|e and while some configurations worked better than others in various situations, you could get by as long as your particular configuration was at least intelligently put together. VIII, in comparison, doesn't give a crap what your playsty|e is, much to the game's detriment, not its benefit.

As far as refining goes, it's pretty rare to just be able to up and refine 100x3 of a good spell you don't already have. My general rule of thumb is, if you're not getting at least an hour or two of actual gameplay (cutscenes not included) for every 10-15 minutes of prep (in this case drawing/refining/junctioning/etc), there's a serious problem.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

While VII is my favorite Final Fantasy, I would agee that itis a little over-rated. VIII was "good", but not "great", IMO.

Really, I've played every FF (except XI or any of the VII spin-offs), and the only one I didn't like was X-2.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

you know what DarkCatalyst? No matter what you say, I think you didn't like FF 8 because it was hard hehe ;) . Don't try to fool me, I'm almost positive you felt really annoyed at the different gameplay that took away level grinding and put in more strategy to your party, such as considering which magic to junction and how to work out all those kinks. And I don't blame you, I disliked the game for that very reason, even though the story was pretty good (especially for its 1998 or so release) and the graphics were a real step up from FF 7.

I'm proud to say I have the first 9 Final Fantasies under my belt and am currently playing FF 10, soon to be followed by 12. And I have to say that I don't have a favorite FF b/c each is better than the last. I mean, take FF 10, whose graphic's alone blow all the previous ones out of the competition. I'm also psyched about voice acting, even though people prefer to read text dialogue and formulate their own views on what each character would sound like. (And incidentally, most voice acting really... just turns out to be horrible basically)

While your opinion cannot be swayed, it is noteworthy to mention, as many else have stated, what makes a FF game... a Final Fantasy game? Unless you've been working with Square all this time, from the very first Final Fantasy, you really have no strong reason for disliking the later ones in the series, or for trying to define what a Final Fantasy game is.

The only reason that can coincide with this fact is that you either disliked Square's departure from Nintendo or... Well, just liked those old school mideival times in the previous games. Even though FF 6 was modern and in all honestly, I think this was the breakthrough Final Fantasy, seeing as how 7 borrowed a lot of elements from it. From limits to the materia system that resembles a more refined magicite... er, system.

Although I never did get the constant feud and comparison between Sephiroth and Kefka. Kefka is a more enjoyable villian with his clown antics and slight reminiscence of the Joker but Sephiroth... is Sephiroth. He's the guy with long hair and an abnormally long sword that makes you question Japanese... er I'd rather not say.

Back to TC's question: Why is FF 7 so overrated? Why do Square insist on milinking the franchise to death? How is it that people still buy it? Is having a death scene to a major character really that new at the time? I mean it was on the first disc, and that's what surprised, I thought the game would have held out longer to make us grow more attached to Aerith but no. Her importance was actually more significant after her death in the upcoming discs. And FF 4, for one, had a lot of memorable death scenes... though maybe it was ruined by Square's quick fix happy ending in the end, where only one character actually died, and he was old anyways >_>

of course I could be horribly mistaken, I'm still rather new at this, only started rpg'ing and leaving pokemon (which has grown stale as heck) 3 years ago.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gamingqueen

Back to TC's question: Why is FF 7 so overrated? Why do Square insist on milinking the franchise to death? How is it that people still buy it? Is having a death scene to a major character really that new at the time? I mean it was on the first disc, and that's what surprised, I thought the game would have held out longer to make us grow more attached to Aerith but no. Her importance was actually more significant after her death in the upcoming discs. And FF 4, for one, had a lot of memorable death scenes... though maybe it was ruined by Square's quick fix happy ending in the end, where only one character actually died, and he was old anyways >_>

thattotally

ma sewat 3al rayal :P kalaitah bigshoora.

Because FF7 was the best selling ff game and making games in FF7 universe is profitable. The story in ff7 had an open ending and people wanna play ff7 spin offs with stories that tie ends and clear up things about ff7. Spins offs are enlarging ff7 fanbase and helping introducing many newcomers to the series just like Crisis Core. I sometimes find myself using Tifa and Aeris as categories of the type of women in the manga xD this is tifa type. this is aeirth type...