Final Fantasy & Zelda (long read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts

Anyone else notice the 2 totally different approaches these two heavyweight franchises have taken to gaming?

Final Fantasy introduces awhole new world with almost with every game. New World, New Story, New Characters, New Dungeons, New Enemies etc. Look at the differences and steps ahead that have been takenbetween Final Fantasy (1-3), (4-6), (7-9), then X, then XI online, then XII. Final Fantasy keeps reinventingitself with fresh new ideas and long wonderful stories.

Now Take a look at Zelda. They takea different approach, more along the lines of "If it aint broke dont fix it". You have Zelda for NES. The next big step was Zelda: Link to the past SNES, then the masterpiece OofT for the N64, (wow zelda in 3d), then windwalker (wow cell shaded graphics), then the wii (wow i can use motion censor to move Link), then the DS, (wow i can use the touch screen and stylus to move link). Thing is whether its in 3D or 2D, motion sensor, stylus, controller, YOU ARE ALWAYS PLAYING THE SAME GAME!. Find the bow, find the boomerang, find the armor, find the grappling hook, fire / icedungeons etc etc...see my drift?

The reason why im saying this is because I believe in order for Zelda to keep me interested in the next couple of years, something needs to change. Anyone Agree?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

You don't use the motion sensor to move Link in Twilight Princess. You shake the remote to make him swing his sword, or use it to aim weapons.

And the changes in the Final Fantasy games aren't usually very big either.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
You're exaggerating on the similarities in the Zeldas, although they have been following the Link to the Past formula closely. But why did you mention Zelda on the NES? That and Zelda 2 are hardly "the same game" as later iterations. Additionally, suggesting that the game change everything outside of license pretty much eliminates the entire point of making a sequel to the franchise outside of cashing in. And to note to people who have forgotten, we were told by Miyamoto in an interview that Twilight Princess would be the "last of its kind" indicating change.