Fighting games on single player.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I like fighting games. Though I am sure I am in the minority of people who enjoy fighting games but rarely plays them on multiplayer. I am making this thread out of curiousity. For those of you who enjoy fighting games, how often do you play them on multiplayer vs single player?

I would like to play on multiplayer more, but the problem is that I don't know anyone else around here who likes them. Online? Yeah I go there sometimes. Not very fun though since most of those people are WAY better then me at the games. I don't think I'm too bad at Dead or Alive though, soI do play that online every now and then, I do lose quite a bit more often then win though, lol. Playing Street Fighter online though just takes all my confidence I have, lol. I can play well enough on medium mode on Super Street Fighter IV, But get beaten around like a rag doll online, lol.

So what do I do with fighting games? Just play arcade mode with various characters, see their stories, and play around with any other good single player modes they have with my favorite characters. I can have quite a bit fun doing that. Especially games like Dead or Alive, which have quite a bit of good single player content. At least compared to most fighting games.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Single player is really just practice.

Speaking of that, you should go in practice mode in every fighting game. After a while, you'll get the hang of it.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Speaking of that, you should go in practice mode in every fighting game. After a while, you'll get the hang of it.

BranKetra
some of those tutorials in capcom fighting games are insane.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Allicrombie
some of those tutorials in capcom fighting games are insane.

You should see the matches. ^_^
waynelw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 waynelw
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I prefer RPG ,I can act as the character to play in the world of the game
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Single player is really just practice.BranKetra
Or so it has become. 1990s fighting games were focused on single palyer and they were brutally difficult. Now, I can sleep my way through a SSFIV arcade mode on ultra hard :(
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Single player is really just practice.Black_Knight_00
Or so it has become. 1990s fighting games were focused on single palyer and they were brutally difficult. Now, I can sleep my way through a SSFIV arcade mode on ultra hard :(

You can only last so long with the artificial intelligence in a fighting game. As usual, however, human opponents are, by and far, the best opponents to test your skills on. You'll learn something from them everytime, win or lose.

disneyanime91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 disneyanime91
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

Oh wow. Finally, after years of scouring the Internet, I finally find someone who treats fighting games the same way that I do. I'm not alone!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
That's the way I play fighters. I think the gold standard for SP content is still VF4: Evolution (I loved how the AI played the same character many different ways), though Tekken: Dark Resurrection PSP (the PS3 version was barebones) and Blazblue Continuum Shift have a lot of modes. I play online a lot, but not fighters. I messed around a bit with the original Blazblue online, but perhaps due to lag or something (though my internet connection is pretty fast) I found that the timing of pulling off moves and combos online was different than it was offline, which I found more than a little frustrating (in fairness, given Blazblue's fanbase, I was probably playing guys in Japan).
Motroucet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Motroucet
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

Yah dude I play mostly the single player campaign too! I'm not terrible with multiplayer although I'm far from decent. Don't know maybe I'm just selling myself short but yeah I enjoy playing the single player campaign and really get into the stories of each character. So much fun! :)

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lazyathew

That's the way I play fighters. I think the gold standard for SP content is still VF4: Evolution (I loved how the AI played the same character many different ways), though Tekken: Dark Resurrection PSP (the PS3 version was barebones) and Blazblue Continuum Shift have a lot of modes. I play online a lot, but not fighters. I messed around a bit with the original Blazblue online, but perhaps due to lag or something (though my internet connection is pretty fast) I found that the timing of pulling off moves and combos online was different than it was offline, which I found more than a little frustrating (in fairness, given Blazblue's fanbase, I was probably playing guys in Japan).CarnageHeart
Cool. Yeah I like Tekken Dark resurrection a lot too. The Tekken series has my favorite character roster in fighting games. I love the watching those endings, lol. And yeah that combined with a good vs mode, and mini games, makes for a good single player game. Tekken 6 was pretty cool too because of the scenario campeign. ButI hate the Azazel battle in the arcade. Making seeing the character endings in that game annoying, lol.

Never played Blazblue, though.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I like fighting games. Though I am sure I am in the minority of people who enjoy fighting games but rarely plays them on multiplayer. I am making this thread out of curiousity. For those of you who enjoy fighting games, how often do you play them on multiplayer vs single player?

I would like to play on multiplayer more, but the problem is that I don't know anyone else around here who likes them. Online? Yeah I go there sometimes. Not very fun though since most of those people are WAY better then me at the games. I don't think I'm too bad at Dead or Alive though, soI do play that online every now and then, I do lose quite a bit more often then win though, lol. Playing Street Fighter online though just takes all my confidence I have, lol. I can play well enough on medium mode on Super Street Fighter IV, But get beaten around like a rag doll online, lol.

So what do I do with fighting games? Just play arcade mode with various characters, see their stories, and play around with any other good single player modes they have with my favorite characters. I can have quite a bit fun doing that. Especially games like Dead or Alive, which have quite a bit of good single player content. At least compared to most fighting games.

lazyathew

Sucks hard that you don't know anyone who would play with you. I play single player if i haven't completed the stories for each character, and if i had the game for some time and fully completed it, i just put it aside up until i feel like playing with a friend. Then, i go around the neibourhood and pick a few buddies for me to play some fighting games at my home. Usually on weekends, wen i have the time.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Single player is really just practice.Black_Knight_00

Yeah, that's true. Anyone really only needs to play Street Fighter 2 on hard to see what you're talking about. Still, there comes a point where the player competition is more challenging than the computer.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend and King of Fighters 13 are pretty good fighting games for offline play. Both offer many game modes than just standard arcade and practice.

And for ps2, buy DBZ Tenkaichi 3, DBZ Budokai 3, and Soul Calibur 2 + 3. All these fighting games are awesome, and have very smooth gameplay with many game modes, and the story modes on each one are done pretty well.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazyathew

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend and King of Fighters 13 are pretty good fighting games for offline play. Both offer many game modes than just standard arcade and practice.

And for ps2, buy DBZ Tenkaichi 3, DBZ Budokai 3, and Soul Calibur 2 + 3. All these fighting games are awesome, and have very smooth gameplay with many game modes, and the story modes on each one are done pretty well.

ristactionjakso

Cool. I was thinking about giving the King of Fighters series a try. I may pick up 13 sometime.

Iplayed all those PS2 games you mentioned except for Soul Calibur 3. (ExceptTenkaichi 3 I have on Wii)And I agree, they are all quite good. Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube was one of my first fighting games, and I still love the sereis today. Actually, that's the only series I can play on multiplayer locally. My brother actually likes that game, lol. One of the few fighting games he will play with me.I found the PS2 version for cheap so I picked up that one as well for Heihachi. I still wanna get SC III.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'm no good at fighting games, they're only fun with friends.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I play single player games like you too. I'm horrible at online play, but I have fun learning the combos and doing the stories of the characters. Multiplayer is more fun when offline.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

im not a big fan of fighting games on single player. developers pretty much always put the most effort on the combat system but the AI rarely lives up to it so there are usually quick tricks to exploit that a human player would figure out.

still, there is the rare game that does single player pretty well. SCIII has a pretty good side mode although the combat itself isnt very good.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lazyathew

still, there is the rare game that does single player pretty well. SCIII has a pretty good side mode although the combat itself isnt very good.

LoG-Sacrament

Did you play other games in the series? Just wondering if you find it worse then other Soul Calibur games. Or are you just not a fan of Soul Calibur in general?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no thanks....tekken sorta tries it...and it fails miserably. arcade mode is pretty much practice for versing others locally or online. Or if you have no friends repeating arcade mode several times.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

lazyathew

Cool. I was thinking about giving the King of Fighters series a try. I may pick up 13 sometime.

Iplayed all those PS2 games you mentioned except for Soul Calibur 3. (ExceptTenkaichi 3 I have on Wii)And I agree, they are all quite good. Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube was one of my first fighting games, and I still love the sereis today. Actually, that's the only series I can play on multiplayer locally. My brother actually likes that game, lol. One of the few fighting games he will play with me.I found the PS2 version for cheap so I picked up that one as well for Heihachi. I still wanna get SC III.

SC 3 is my favorite out of the whole series. You can create your own characters, there is a ton of offline game modes, and the story mode is not done through a arcade mode. It's an actual story mode for each character and you get to choose different paths along the way. But there is one crippling bug on it. Say you have previous games saved on your memory card, then you add SC3 Chronicles of the Sword save data to it. If you erased any other previous game file, it corrupts the Chronicles of the Sword portion of the game. But if you avoid that, the game is awesome.

But ya, definitly pick up King of fighters 13. Me and my friends play it all the time, its a great game. There is an actual story mode, and the arcade mode has different endings too. There is other offline modes like survival too. But its really fun playing team battle against a friend.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

no thanks....tekken sorta tries it...and it fails miserably. arcade mode is pretty much practice for versing others locally or online. Or if you have no friends repeating arcade mode several times.campzor

I beg to differ.

Arcade or training mode is only there to do select combos and moves so that you can hone them down. But the REAL training happens when you face off people and they aren't the computer. They don't stick to the same tactics over and over again; they are real, human opponents that have different tricks and combos up their sleeve that no one could imagine. By taking on those people, you improve constantly, even if you lose thirty times in a row. It's excellent practice and ten times better than what arcade or training mode has to offer. The fights never play out the same way twice and you learn something new about yourself and the opponent EVERY TIME.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

lazyathew

Did you play other games in the series? Just wondering if you find it worse then other Soul Calibur games. Or are you just not a fan of Soul Calibur in general?

i played SCII which i think is better than SCIII (although only okay overall). both games have the annoying dial-a-combos on the forefront, but the movement in SCII is so much better. in SCIII, its really hard to miss an attack and it takes away the whole 3D aspect of the fighting. SCII did a better job of allowing players to work distances and be harder targets.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Same here, I barely play them on multi-player except when my friends come over, but I never play online.