FFXIII Offically announced...TBA 2009 Japan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

Pretty much comfirming just what most people knew true

Link

Text

Square Enix held their yearly fiscal meeting today, where a few bombshells were dropped, the biggest of which being the increasing likelihood that Final Fantasy XIII will be delayed into 2009.

The problem, according to Square Enix, lies with the White Engine, the in-house engine that has been under development for some time on the PlayStation 3 and with which the game is being created.

Development on the engine itself is said to be moving at a very slow pace, which is what has been leading to the slow turnaround on Final Fantasy XIII.

If you are adept at Japanese, and can weed through a very long financial report, you can access it in its entirety here

Have at it boys.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
maybe i will own a ps3 by then :(
Tuvac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Tuvac
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts
Which only highlights the need for them to get on the digital distribution bandwagon to keep FF relevant and in the discussion in the mean time. Or release FF12 International... internationally, rather than just in Japan. (which defeats the purpose of the international subtitle)
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
2009 is not surprising, hopefully it hits that year here in the US.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I don't think that's good. And Square-Enix must be dealing with a ballooning budget about now. This also means Sony will go another year without their trump card in Japan and even the US.

Maybe too ambitious?

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shinoto

2009 is not surprising, hopefully it hits that year here in the US.D3s7rUc71oN

Funny enough there was a joke about 2010 for Europe. Sadly that is starting to look true.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

"Update: Our worries may be without reason -- it seems Siliconera's initial story was the result of a mistranslation. According to dedicated fansite ff-xiii.net, Impress Group's recap of the fiscal meeting simply states that development of the White Engine is not stagnant. So, you may resume hoping for a late 2008 release. Apologies for the errant information."

Good News for People who Actually Like Final Fantasy!

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It's still an entire year...and it's Japan first, so everyone else will have to wait till` 2009.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

"Update: Our worries may be without reason -- it seems Siliconera's initial story was the result of a mistranslation. According to dedicated fansite ff-xiii.net, Impress Group's recap of the fiscal meeting simply states that development of the White Engine is not stagnant. So, you may resume hoping for a late 2008 release. Apologies for the errant information."

Gunraidan

its sort of a releif sort of not. i dont forsee myself buying a ps3 anytime soon, and thats saying a lot from someone who wanted it badly at launch. this will be the first US main final fantasy game i am not willing to buy a system for. just cannot justify the money versus the library. i am sad though :(
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
that sucks. Anyway, I wasn't planning on getting a PS3 anytime soon, if at all. It's still too bad though, If the PS3 had MGS4, FFXIII, GoW3 out there, Icoud be interested in the system.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

its sort of a releif sort of not. i dont forsee myself buying a ps3 anytime soon, and thats saying a lot from someone who wanted it badly at launch. this will be the first US main final fantasy game i am not willing to buy a system for. just cannot justify the money versus the library. i am sad though :(OneWingedAngeI

I see what you mean. I'm getting a PS3 but mainly for the Blu-Ray player for my soon to be HDTV. The only current gen console I own is the Wii, so I also decided to get it for the multiplats I'd be missing such as Resident Evil 5, and for some of the exclusives mainly being Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Disgaea 3, Shin Megami Tensei Series, and Zone of the Enders 3.

Sir_Marwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sir_Marwin
Member since 2006 • 9734 Posts
are they releasing Versus at the same time?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
It will still likley be 2009 until it sees a NA release. I should have a PS3 by then.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinoto

Gunraidan

Really not much better here lol.

Vader: My Guess is Versus will come 6 to 12months after FFXIII...Thats not pretty at all.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Clearly opinions differ, but I need to see more gameplay footage before I can get excited about FF13. Generally speaking, I enjoy the mainline FF games (I am one of the minority who enjoy FFX-2) but the combat systems differ so radically from game to game I can't really get excited about an FF sight unseen (cinemas don't count). Right now the next big rpgs on my radar are White Knight Story and Infinite Undiscovery (both of which have shown gameplay-ish footage and are from extremely talented developers).

Also, I've got no problem with guys taking the time they need to polish a game. This Christmas there have been too promising games that have suffered from the type of problems that could have been cleaned up in playtesting because developers/publishers felt a deep need to get them out the door.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
I've been saying this for months. There were multitudes of FFXII gameplay vids months before the Japanese release. So far all we've been given are snipets. I just hope we don't have to wait the standard 6-8 month delay for the U.S. version.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Good news. I just hate symptoms of rushing in epic games. Look at Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect. Still, good thing the PS3's region-free, as it's looking ugly for Europe.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#19 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

July 2009 Japan, November 2009 US and probably Feb 2010 for the rest of the world.

Yep, that sounds about right.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
Sony desperately needs this game out next year in some territory of the world. Even if it doesn't make the holidays in NA/EUR next year (though it seems that many games this gen are getting released at the same time), it has to be out there somewhere to get people excited and wanting to pick up a PS3 as a holiday gift.
Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Next gen development is so great! I'll wait for more information as to what this all means. GS will surely add it to rumor control with some actual journalistic resources behind it.

But if this is true, I wonder if it will have any effect on Lost Odyssey ...