FF9 - Garnet's "name"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

[spoiler] So I was playing FF9 while I'm on a trip, and I got out of the first actual dungeon (the ice cavern). After that, Zidane thought that Garnet should have a new identity (which you can input) for who knows how long. Stunningly, that identity is "Dagger" (I usually stick with the default names for story purposes on 1st playthroughs). I would NEVER name her that, but I thought it was (is) going to be for a short while. In fact, all of the menu (and HP/MP/Trance?Time bar statuses in battle) screens refer to her as Dagger, and the ones trying to bring her back to the castle refer to her as her proper name. I hope this is a joke.... I don't want to know when this happens, but rather if it happens: Will Garnet ever lose the whole "Dagger" bit? (I saved in a 2nd file just in case) [/spoiler] s for Disc 1

Sorry for not inserting line breaks....that error strikes again!!

Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts
Nope. She sticks with "Dagger" for the entire game. I know it's a terrible name. Who knows why they chose it....
Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

There is actually a secret rename card later in the game you can use if you find it to rename your characters. Other than that, whatever you name her then, she stays with that name for good. I usually rename her Garnet (even though it makes for some humorous lines e.g "Don't call her Princess, you'll give her away! It's Garnet!")

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

You can find a rename card later that lets you change it. Play on though, the Dagger thing isn't really that annoying.

HallowBastion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 HallowBastion
Member since 2004 • 9906 Posts

You can get a Namingway card at a couple different points in the game, which allows you to rename your characters. No worries.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjoeb123

You can get a Namingway card at a couple different points in the game, which allows you to rename your characters. No worries.

HallowBastion
Is this part of the story, easy to miss, or what? I'm assuming after Disc 1?
0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I don't like the name either. It just bothers me so I always just name her Garnet since you are stuck with it. And no it isn't easy to pass up the namingway cards. I'm pretty sure you can get them almost anytime once sidequests become available.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I guess I am the only one that likes "Dagger"...

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Yeah, why dagger? Why not Scimitar? I bet that would be an interesting "named after a weapon" name, then again it sounds like more of a male name.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I guess I am the only one that likes "Dagger"...

xWoW_Rougex
I liked it as well. Like everyone else said, there is a rename card you can get later on.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Well I feel it did bother me. It almost feels as though she lost her identity, and there's nothing wrong with being a princess.

But you get used to it as the game goes on.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#12 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
and it's just a name anyway. I never play with the original character names if I get an option to change them.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I think I put mine as Garnet again lol.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

yeah i remember thinking that was a lame name, i think i named her garnet.

and for the lulz my lead character is always named death, you wouldn't believe how many times i've read these in an rpg

"LOOK OUT DEATH!!"
"deaths coming"
"please dont die death"

also i renamed aeris JoanOfArc

HallowBastion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 HallowBastion
Member since 2004 • 9906 Posts
[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="HallowBastion"]

No idea what that was, as it just took me to your profile. There are two: One is in Kuja's Palace, by the teleporter after Eiko is kidnapped. The other is in Treno, during the card turnament. These happen on DIsc 2 and 3. To rename the character, take the card to a man in Daguerreo, and he will ask if you want a character renamed. Should solve your problem.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="HallowBastion"] No idea what that was, as it just took me to your profile.

That doesn't make any sense. Ah well, at least I still have the save from the ice cavern...
whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

Or, you can give Garnet's REAL Name. In a short side quest during Disc 4, you are able to discover the actual name for Garnet. You can possibly wait till then and continue to use the "rename card" or...

If you want to know the real name, click on the spoiler:

[spoiler] Sarah [/spoiler]

jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jouluturkki
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

I always keep her name as Garnet, I also like her skin-tight outfit.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tjoeb123
Nice try, spoiler. I shall not click you!!!

I always keep her name as Garnet, I also like her skin-tight outfit.

jouluturkki
Which one is that? I've only seen two - the dress in the FMV at the beginning (which makes her look like Rinoa...to me) and the one she wears while traveling with the party. Also I'm assuming there's more than one Rename card in the game, right?, and that I can't get one during Disc 1? In case you're wondering, I've never played the game before (didn't own a PS1), other than playing Dissidia (which has Zidane and Kuja...who I have yet to meet) and watching YouTube videos of the final boss (plus doing that song in StepMania, included in a Final Fantasy mini pack with other FF tunes). Therefore, I'm playing the PSN copy (just released during E3).
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jouluturkki

I mean the orange outfit, but you can see it clearly only during the FMVs ;)

churdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 churdo
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

Yeah, why dagger? Why not Scimitar? I bet that would be an interesting "named after a weapon" name, then again it sounds like more of a male name.

ThePerro

She didn´t has better idea about a possible name at that moment, so she looked at Zidane´s weapons ( that sounds weird lol ) and how he was using twin daggers she named herself as Dagger.

I like that name anyway.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjoeb123

jouluturkki
Really? So far I can see it in-game too. (At least during cutscenes and battle with her in the party)
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jouluturkki

[QUOTE="jouluturkki"]

tjoeb123

Really? So far I can see it in-game too. (At least during cutscenes and battle with her in the party)

But what I'm trying to say here is that FMV is FMV ;)

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="jouluturkki"]

jouluturkki

But what I'm trying to say here is that FMV is FMV ;)

I know. I would like to see more of the FMV character models than those in-game. (which are fine too) Also I just finished Disc 1 last night (which was surprising, as it's not an epic boss battle and it's a lot shorter compared to 7 and 8).
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jouluturkki

Beatrix is epic imo :(

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tjoeb123
Also, since there are apparantly like 2 Namingway cards in the game, can I use them indefinitely?
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jouluturkki

After some serious thinking, I recall that there is a hidden town in the game which can be accessed later where you can show a person the Namingway card and you can rename your characters as many time as you like.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tjoeb123

After some serious thinking, I recall that there is a hidden town in the game which can be accessed later where you can show a person the Namingway card and you can rename your characters as many time as you like.

jouluturkki
Well, that's good news. Last question regarding the Namingway card: When I get to one of the events stated earlier in this topic, do I have to win it via TM? (Honestly, I tried to get it when I first entered that one town with the card tourney as Steiner, and after trying a few times, I checked a wakthrough, and found that it was the wrong time for me to do it (as it had also mentioned Zidane, etc.) But at least now I got the hang of TM...unlike the online edition of the game.)
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jouluturkki

[QUOTE="jouluturkki"]

tjoeb123

Well, that's good news. Last question regarding the Namingway card: When I get to one of the events stated earlier in this topic, do I have to win it via TM? (Honestly, I tried to get it when I first entered that one town with the card tourney as Steiner, and after trying a few times, I checked a wakthrough, and found that it was the wrong time for me to do it (as it had also mentioned Zidane, etc.) But at least now I got the hang of TM...unlike the online edition of the game.)

There is a part when you go solo with Zidane. I recall that this is the time when you can enter the TM tournament in Treno and win the Namingway card, but this requires also activating a certain ATE. The other Namingway card can be found in a one-time-only room in Kuja's palace at disc three.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="jouluturkki"]

jouluturkki

There is a part when you go solo with Zidane. I recall that this is the time when you can enter the TM tournament in Treno and win the Namingway card, but this requires also activating a certain ATE. The other Namingway card can be found in a one-time-only room in Kuja's palace at disc three.

Shouldn't be a problem, as I am working to see every possible ATE as I play the game.
FreakinAcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FreakinAcorn
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts
Changing names are always fun. Sometimes they could be used as jokes such as naming princess garnet, garnet again for the choice of disguise. I thought some scenes were hilarious with that name.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Or, you can give Garnet's REAL Name. In a short side quest during Disc 4, you are able to discover the actual name for Garnet. whisperingmute

It's impossible to figure out that easter egg on your own. The only thing harder than discovering that easter egg on your own, would be to get Ending A, in "Valkyrie Profile"...

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="whisperingmute"]

Or, you can give Garnet's REAL Name. In a short side quest during Disc 4, you are able to discover the actual name for Garnet. Threesixtyci

It's impossible to figure out that easter egg on your own. The only thing harder than discovering that easter egg on your own, would be to get Ending A, in "Valkyrie Profile"...

...which I have accomplished, 1st playthough!!
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jouluturkki

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

[QUOTE="whisperingmute"]

Or, you can give Garnet's REAL Name. In a short side quest during Disc 4, you are able to discover the actual name for Garnet. tjoeb123

I dunno about Valkyrie Profile, but the Garnet's REAL name is indeed impossible to discover on your own. You might as well play the game blindfolded for 10 years than try to figure it out.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tjoeb123

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

jouluturkki

I dunno about Valkyrie Profile, but the Garnet's REAL name is indeed impossible to discover on your own. You might as well play the game blindfolded for 10 years than try to figure it out.

Will do that. Like I said, I shall not click that SPOILER button!!!!
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jouluturkki

[QUOTE="jouluturkki"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] ...which I have accomplished, 1st playthough!!tjoeb123

Will do that. Like I said, I shall not click that SPOILER button!!!!

:D It doesn't have much relevance anyway. Like it was said before, it's just an easter egg and it's not even part of the main story. Just some optional "background" information.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="HallowBastion"][QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="HallowBastion"]

No idea what that was, as it just took me to your profile. There are two: One is in Kuja's Palace, by the teleporter after Eiko is kidnapped. The other is in Treno, during the card turnament. These happen on DIsc 2 and 3. To rename the character, take the card to a man in Daguerreo, and he will ask if you want a character renamed. Should solve your problem.

I know this is kinda old, but I just wanted to say that I just discovered that both of those events are on Disc 3.