Favorite first original ip

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

What game in a series do you think is your favorite or has made the biggest splash in gaming? Note it can also be a stand alone game

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Halo: Combat Evolved. I beat that game many times by myself and with friends. I eventually got to a state in which I could not lose on legendary. It was a good feeling.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

First entries with the biggest impact on gaming? GTA3 for creating the open world action genre, and Batman: Arkham Asylum for bringing the Beat 'em Up into the modern age of gaming.

Favorite new IPs?

WET- for uniting a grindhouse aesthetic, a screamin' soundtrack, a badass heroine and a strangly addictive gameplay style that demands to be replayed until perfected.

Captain America: Super Soldier- first, for starring my favorite superhero, then for it's gameplay being so similar, but somehow more entertaining than Batman: Arkham's, even while being less polished.

BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BARRICADE_28
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

First entries with the biggest impact on gaming? GTA3 for...

FAIL!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@El_Zo1212o: Definitely AA. My favorite game past gen, as it has just knocked City off the top as I recently replayed it. It amazes me that Rocksteady, a completely unknown and unproven developer, came out with such quality on their first game. That doesn't happen too often. Man I can't WAIT until their next game hits, I just wish they'd show it already. Hopefully at E3.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect and Batman Arkham Asylum on the top of my head

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Halo

Ninja Gaiden

Fable

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@BARRICADE_28 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

FAIL!

Well, it wasn't the first GTA no, but it was the first of it's kind.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@BARRICADE_28 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

FAIL!

Well, it wasn't the first GTA no, but it was the first of it's kind.

Doesn't count, the only difference is that it was in 3D, and the other ones were in 2D and they were open world games aswell. I am looking for first entry in a series or standalone games

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

What game in a series do you think is your favorite or has made the biggest splash in gaming? Note it can also be a stand alone game

GTA, Halflife, Mario, Zelda, FF.

There are to many just to mention one, GTA made openworld, Half-life made FPS, Mario well who doesn't know and love that plumber, Zelda because its a mega franchise and its impact can still be felt. Final Fantasy for its epic stories and its gameplay.

BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BARRICADE_28

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The original Mario Bros.(not Super Mario Bros.) is your favorite in the series? And the original GTA game???

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd have to go with Mass Effect and State of Decay (almost everything I could ask for in a Zombie survival game).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@Ballroompirate said:

I'd have to go with Mass Effect and State of Decay (almost everything I could ask for in a Zombie survival game).

People sure like those zombie games :P

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@BranKetra said:

Halo: Combat Evolved. I beat that game many times by myself and with friends. I eventually got to a state in which I could not lose on legendary. It was a good feeling.

Pretty much this. ^

What Halo did especially well wasn't anything new, but a polish up of previous ideas done really really well. I know it gets a lot of hate, but I truly feel a lot of it is undeserved. Not sure if I'd say it's worth the 9+ reviews past the third game either, but going back to the original you can easily show Halo a lot of love for the splash it made at the time. And even if you hate it, you can't deny it's importance in the console realm. CoD may hold the crown now, but Halo as a franchise helped build the infrastructure in a significant way and it was all thanks to the Original and it's lasting appeal.

I'd also say it had a great balance between tons of fun single player content and fun multiplayer content. I see why some choose to focus on one certain aspect in today's market, but back then Halo was great alone, great co-op, and great for a LAN. And if you had the gumption to setup the GameSpy account thingy and play it online, well then even better.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

I know people love Halo, but i never got the appeal of that game personally

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

When I saw LBP I knew that my kids and I would have fun with it. I burned out on platformers back in the 16 bit era when they were as common as shooters are nowadays, but LBP was a game in which the characters did stuff in a physics based world never before seen in a platformer. Of course, what gave LBP its insanely long legs was the create element (the community really ran with that ball) but even the basic game brought sorely needed innovation to a tired genre which had shrunk down to a tiny handful of franchises whose makers focused on recapturing old glories.

Loading Video...

I also thought that Dead Space was great. The sequels sucked, but the original game was true successor to RE4 (and the game RE5 should have been). The entire game was extremely well done, but the zero G segments and boss battles were outstanding.

Loading Video...

Valkyria Chronicles also springs to mind. Great strategy, strong characters and a lovely art style. Its a damn shame it did so poorly that a console sequel was never made (and that VC3, by some accounts the best game in the series, doesn't look like it will ever leave Japan).

Loading Video...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@BARRICADE_28 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The original Mario Bros.(not Super Mario Bros.) is your favorite in the series? And the original GTA game???

It did say Or made the biggest splash in gaming....

You hopefully can't deny that those titles have made a "splash" in the gaming world.

BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BARRICADE_28

@Jacanuk said:

@BARRICADE_28 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It did say Or made the biggest splash in gaming....

You hopefully can't deny that those titles have made a "splash" in the gaming world.

The original Mario Bros. did not make a bigger splash than Super Mario Bros. 1.