This topic is locked from further discussion.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Well I am about to venture out into the Fallout 3 world. This game has been in my backlog for quite sometime and this weekend im finally getting to it.

Since the game has been out for a long time, im sure most of you have beat it or at least played it.

I was wondering if you can share any tips/strategies/things I should know before heading out into the fallout world that will make the game easier to go through.

I heard it can get difficult.

Much appreciated.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Heres a tip. . . . Play Something Else. . . . . You're Welcome !
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

In the beginning, do as much missions around Megaton as possible and..I dunno which abilities it were you needed, but if you help the town to disarm the Nuke Bomb they'll grant you a house in there you can bring your loot and stash into, very good for beginners. The Missions around Megaton also serve as kind of advanced tutorial, afterwards you'll have some nice stuff, some experience and will be halfways prepared for the rest of the wasteland

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Well I am about to venture out into the Fallout 3 world. This game has been in my backlog for quite sometime and this weekend im finally getting to it.

Since the game has been out for a long time, im sure most of you have beat it or at least played it.

I was wondering if you can share any tips/strategies/things I should know before heading out into the fallout world that will make the game easier to go through.

I heard it can get difficult.

Much appreciated.

marcheegsr

When you get to megaton, make sure you have an explosives skill of 25 so you can rig/disarm the bomb.

And to the east/southeast of megaton, there's a grocery store. Go there. There are some raiders you can kill and loot and the store has a lot of helpful supplies.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

save your game often! dont rely on the autosave and losing your progress after hours of playing is frustrating

check areas thoroughly.. you will find lots of good stuff

if you see a deathclaw, run like hell

i wouldnt blow up megaton, though it is cool to watch

use VATS alot

enjoy the best game of the gen :)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Aside from manual saving relatively often for yourself, there's not much you need to think or worry about. Play the game as you see fit. It's a huge open world with a lot to explore and a good number of quests to do. I'd recommend not speeding through just the main missions- take your time building up your gear, exploring, and completing side quests whenever you can. I honestly had difficulties when I first played the game, but it's not really not that hard. You can always change the difficulty whenever you like. I'd say be careful exploring when you don't have a lot of gear (and use stealth, stealth is your friend), though that should only be a problem for a little while.

Okay, I may have added a bit to think/worry about, and I left out a lot, but again, play as you see fit. Lastly, give the game some time. I can't guarantee you'll love it from the start. In fact, I hated it for a while, but gave it a chance and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's pretty hard at the very beginning because your only weapon sucks and you're faced with several raiders.  Once you get to Megaton though you can sort of settle in and do some side missions and make a little money to get some decent gear.  Disarm that bomb - you can take some drugs to temporarily boost your skill in that sort of thing if your stat's aren't quite high enough - and get that house in Megaton.  It makes a great home base and you can stash all your stuff there.

The important thing is to not try and play it like an action game.  It's an RPG - if you just do the main story quests you'll miss 80% of what the game has to offer.  Wander around, explore, go on a bunch of little sidequests you stumble across.  Soak up the atmosphere.  That's what the game's about.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marcheegsr

Great alot of good advice here. Thanks guys.

Defiantly not going to rush through it and take my time and explore.

Some said blow up megatron, some said don't. Any downfalls from blowing up megatron?

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#9 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If you're familiar with playing RPG's you shouldn't have any issues. But Fallout 3 was the first RPG I'd really played, and so I didn't really understand areas to avoid and levelling up. If you take your time and build up slowly you'll be fine. Awesomely addictive game by the way, just remember to create multiple saves and save frequently!

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoNin360

Some said blow up megatron, some said don't. Any downfalls from blowing up megatron?

marcheegsr
Well, the entire town and all of its inhabitants (mostly) will be gone along with any other possible side quests and items that might be there. If you want to go the evil route for the game and choose to blow up Megaton, it's best to loot the hell out of the place first. Kill everyone if you can and steal their stuff too, though that won't be a good idea early on because there's a lot of people there, and then blow it up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Aight, I will give a few advices:

1) Pick your skills and perks carefully. I would advise atleast 1 ranged combat skill as a chosen, just so you would not make a mistake "Big guns" does not mean big rifles, it means rocket launchers, flamethrowers and miniguns, of all the weaponskills small arms have the largest pool of ammo in the game. But which to pick is up for preference in the end.

Lockpick is a lifesaver, ALWAYS have lockpick skill, and bobbypins, no I am not joking.

Stealth is worth its salt in that game, it should not be underestimated, buth as offense, defense and average exploration.

There is a perk very early on that grants more skill points per level, this I would advise to pick as soon as possible, aswell as the gain 2x points for reading books.

Ofcourse such build advises are take it or leave it, they are just advise, if they do not fit a playstyle disreguard them.

2) When out of the vault, and the game is starting for real, head directly to megaton, a small city where most tasks can be solved with fairly low skills, or the means for suceeding most of them are around, ir drugs for hightening intelligense, strength and so on.

Find the trader named Moria (or something like that) she has a quest which is worthwhile for taking, gives ALOT of locations to go to on the map, and ensures that you at any time afterwards will have waypoints to other citys, and points close to major areas.

Disarm the bomb (or blow it up depending) for ganing a base of operations, for loot, weapons and ammo you can not carry, or want to save for later.

other then that? explore, have fun, if enemies seem too tough, turn back, and go another direction, exploration is good, but knowing how much you can take on, is almost an art.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

marcheegsr
If you blow up Megaton you won't have a place to store your stuff until WAY later in the game. You'll have to carry everything with you and for someone like me who likes to horde and use a ton of different items I'd run out of space all the time.
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Pick the female lead.  Black Widow can be a starting perk of yours that gives an automatic 10% damage boost against males...which make up ~90% of the game's enemies.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marcheegsr

So I finally put the controller down after really getting into this game.

I just spent 4hours 56 minutes playing. I don't think I could remember a game that I played that long in one sitting. I think Mass effect 2 was the only other game. I usually play for an hour or two and get bored.

The moment I left the vault for the first time, I was in awe. The atmosphere and setting is engrossing.

I can't believe I let a game like this get lost in my backlog for so long. Im loving it so far.

Now it all makes sense why this game won so many awards.

Anyways, I disarmed the bomb, I found myself overstacked with inventory and could use the extra space. I have not died yet, im playing on normal. Maybe I should put it on hard.

I've upgraded lockpick, science, explosives, speech mostly, with distrubting a few points to other skills.

My karma is really high, did alot of good deeds so far. Not sure if this is good or not.

I already know im going to loose myself in this game, so much exploring and looting.

How long did it take you guys to beat the game? Keep in mind im doing all the side missions too.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

marcheegsr

Yeah, no more Transformer Movies for Optimus Prime won't have a villain anymore :D

Sorry, just HAD too post that xD

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#16 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
I am suddenly deeply inclined to buy this game. I always saw it and didn't think it looked all that special but......hearing all of this, really makes me want to play it.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 marcheegsr

I am suddenly deeply inclined to buy this game. I always saw it and didn't think it looked all that special but......hearing all of this, really makes me want to play it.Kevlar101

I think you should. But go for the Game of the year edition.

I have the original version but after seeing how great this game is, Im going to pick it up the goty edition. With each pack retailing on psn for 5 bucks, this is a no brainer.

I think its less than 20 bucks in stores.

5 dlc packs that have all new areas and missions. Tons of content.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SoNin360

So I finally put the controller down after really getting into this game.

I just spent 4hours 56 minutes playing. I don't think I could remember a game that I played that long in one sitting. I think Mass effect 2 was the only other game. I usually play for an hour or two and get bored.

The moment I left the vault for the first time, I was in awe. The atmosphere and setting is engrossing.

I can't believe I let a game like this get lost in my backlog for so long. Im loving it so far.

Now it all makes sense why this game won so many awards.

Anyways, I disarmed the bomb, I found myself overstacked with inventory and could use the extra space. I have not died yet, im playing on normal. Maybe I should put it on hard.

I've upgraded lockpick, science, explosives, speech mostly, with distrubting a few points to other skills.

My karma is really high, did alot of good deeds so far. Not sure if this is good or not.

I already know im going to loose myself in this game, so much exploring and looting.

How long did it take you guys to beat the game? Keep in mind im doing all the side missions too.

marcheegsr
I think it took me around 50 hours to complete the story and all of the main side quests, though you could easily spend much more time in the open world if you're an avid explorer. Oh, and you need to get a safe house to store your extra items in :P Of course, you could just throw stuff into any random container and it will stay there, just don't forget where you put it! But having a house is a much better option, obviously.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]I am suddenly deeply inclined to buy this game. I always saw it and didn't think it looked all that special but......hearing all of this, really makes me want to play it.marcheegsr

I think you should. But go for the Game of the year edition.

I have the original version but after seeing how great this game is, Im going to pick it up the goty edition. With each pack retailing on psn for 5 bucks, this is a no brainer.

I think its less than 20 bucks in stores.

5 dlc packs that have all new areas and missions. Tons of content.

This game went from "meh" to "must buy" in a very short amount of time for me. I'm sold.