Ever wonder what would happen if Nintendo just shut down??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I've been thinking about this from time to time. Like what would happen to their franchise games like Smash Brothers, Mario and Zelda just to name a few. Another thing that I'm really curious about would have to be where does the Nintendo DS go from there, do they just stop producing it or would they be willing to sell off the rights to their competitors (Sony/Microsoft) or maybe Gabe Newell could use it for stream or something. But anyways If this scenario were to happen, how do you see it going down?

I'm not trying to ruffle peoples "jimmies" as they say or upset the fan-boys and fan-girls. I just have this feeling it might just happen one day, maybe not not in my lifetime but it will sooner or later.

gold_struck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 gold_struck
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

@renegadesteve: as a matter of fact that can never happen as long as they have mario they need not worry its already proved people love mario no matter how many parts they make. if it does shut down mostly the people playing from n64 and mario fans might miss it. all mario games will become collector editions type and sony and microsoft would be the first in line to buy 'em. sony is already begging for 1 mario game in PS Vita in exchange for 4 ps4 title in wii U. but its a straight "no" from nintendo. so it means they don't give a damn about m$ or $ony

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original NES, I would think it would be an end of an era for gaming.

I feel they still have a lot to offer for the target audience for years to come. But all good things come to a end. Doubt it will happen anytime soon.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Same thing that happens when every publisher / developer shuts down, they'll auction off their IP rights. Though there's no danger of that happening to Nintendo, they have massive cash reserves and make more money than both the Xbox division at Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. The idea that Nintendo is on the brink of closure is very far from reality.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

The Wii U is losing money, the handhelds are making money. As long as handhelds remain popular they can probably continue to bleed a little over the Wii U. If their hardcore fan base isn't already sick of Super Duper Mario Ad Nauseam then they probably never will be. Yawn!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I've been thinking about this from time to time. Like what would happen to their franchise games like Smash Brothers, Mario and Zelda just to name a few. Another thing that I'm really curious about would have to be where does the Nintendo DS go from there, do they just stop producing it or would they be willing to sell off the rights to their competitors (Sony/Microsoft) or maybe Gabe Newell could use it for stream or something. But anyways If this scenario were to happen, how do you see it going down?

I'm not trying to ruffle peoples "jimmies" as they say or upset the fan-boys and fan-girls. I just have this feeling it might just happen one day, maybe not not in my lifetime but it will sooner or later.

Hmm, not really Nintendo is a kids brand and despite me having a wii and wiiiu its not something i care much for, as with most brands, Microsoft, Sony could close for all i care.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Microsoft, Sony or Valve/Steam... would just buy them out.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

It would be a very sad day to see Nintendo go under. Sega was hard enough to lose. Besides, I don't believe Sony, MS, or any developer out there could match Nintendo's developer prowess. It just wouldn't have that Nintendo magic feel that permeates through their games. I believe Nintendo once said that they'd rather have their properties die before seeing them on other hardware. But with the amount of money they have they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Tbh, I don't find them killing their IPs to be all that unreasonable because a Mario (or Zelda, or Metroid) without Nintendo would not be the same. Plus Nintendo is so Japanese they probably see pawning off their properties to be greatly dishonorable or something. Better death than dishonor.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Nintendo isnt going anywhere.. they have a scrooge mcduck money tower full of cash

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

What would happen if Rockstar shut down? What would happen if any company shut down?

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

@capaho: Not to mention Nintendo has about $11 billion in the bank with no outstanding debts. They'd have to bleed money for at least a couple generations before they're in danger of going under.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

No.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I probably wouldn't notice.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Thanks for the input everybody, I guess I was just looking at this all the wrong way, thanks again for dropping that little bit of knowledge on me.