Eternal Sonata?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I recently bought this and already having mixed thoughts about it. I do enjoy my JRPGs, but I don't know if I'll stick with it. I just got to Ch. 2, and already I've been having to grind alot just for the bosses whereas other JRPGs haven't been like that at all, even in the early stages. Although, as a music fan, I love the music so far, Chopin music, and how the game is just heavily based on music. That's probabably the only reason I'll sitck with it.

What do you guys think of this game? Do you need to grind alot? I also find I'm running out alot of HP medicines, and no restores at the save points which makes the journey harder.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

I totally loved this game. The atmosphere, the lively world, I was in awe right from the beginning. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

I just found the game way too easy. There were two hard boss fights: One was solved with one hour of grinding, the other one with trying out many different tactics. The rest of the game was a cakewalk and the further I went the easier the game became. Especialy when the Harmony Chains are introduced the difficulty level sinks drasticaly.

My recommendation is that you keep it up. You're probably stuck where I was, too. It might seem hard now but it won't stay that way. So if that's your only problem with this game, stay put.

Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Loved it (although I found Beat a constant irritation). The art style is beautiful, the story, whilst utterly insane, is well told and the combat is enjoyable. Towards the end of the game I found my main choice of party members becoming obscenely powerful, making the last boss fight something of a farce which was a shame. Other than that it's a game you should persist with.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

While it is true that one must grind in the game, it is worth it to enjoy what the game has from beginning to end (unlike some JRPGS I know).

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I loved it. The only place I would have issues are boss fights... and then only every now and then. The fact you think you need HP medicines does show one thing I noticed in this game, they are pointless except between battles. Doing damage is almost always more important than healing yourself back up. And eventually you find someone that heals everyone with their special you throw out right at the end of your 'action' time during battles. As you battle make sure to make sure to stick to the back of enemies (more damage), and stick to your strong attacks (light or dark). If you have someone that can heal (which you typically do) make sure they help heal every turn they get and your potions shouldn't take a hit. Also, you should never have a shortage of cash, make sure to have Beat constantly taking pictures and selling them off. You make a ton of money that way which can help you always be fully stocked on potions. I think it is a great game. I really liked the battle system because it was action driven while still being turn based. And group based without having some poorly programmed AI doing the wrong thing all the time... I wish more RPG's controlled like this during battles.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I really like it, very pretty, unique combat system that was really fun, and the concept is just very interesting.

My only problem is I found it a bit too easy actually, but I hear the PS3 version is a lot harder then the 360 version. I have it on the 360. Like someone else said, there were 2 battles in the game I had trouble with, but other then that it was easy.

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
I had it for the 360. I loved the beautiful scenery and the battles were great! I don't really remember a grinding issue though. Just that the story didn't really do it for me. But the battle system was one of my favorites! I actually played through the whole game with a friend, it was a good time. I'm still hoping for another simular game.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's a fantastic game. Linear and short, but everything else was superb. I loved the characters and battle system.

Pumpkinhead3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pumpkinhead3
Member since 2007 • 342 Posts

I really enjoyed this game. The dreamy atmosphere sucked me in. I do not remember having to grind very much. If you do get to a field which grinding is conveniant, take advantage. Also, are you using Polka appropriately? Her healing abilities are a must. I foughtmostly with Allegretto,Frederic, Polka, and Viola. That's a well rounded squad. I would recommend that you keep playing, because it's a great game and I really enjoyed the ending. There is also a lot of replay value. I will admit, however, that Beat is one of the most annoying characters I have ever come across. And there is one awful dungeon/puzzle layout that I had to look up on youtube to get past. Really that was the one major flaw - a lame puzzle- which really is miniscule in the grand scheme of the game. Just keep playing and enjoy!

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I finished it, but it was solely because of the graphics, Salsa is super moe, and reviews kept saying that eventually the combat would get "tactical" so I stuck around hoping that was right around the corner. The story is meh and the only characters I enjoyed outside of being cute barely got any character development or screen time. If the combat wasn't such a walk in the park, I would have enjoyed it a lot more... but it is, so I didn't. If you're having problems with the combat and need health potions (?), just run up behind the enemy and button mash until you can do a super attack. If you're a ranged character, don't even move or try to aim. Just mash the attack button and you'll connect like 95%+ of the time. I was having trouble with the game because I just knew it couldn't be purely button mashing and I was doing all sorts of crazy stuff that was failing. Things could have been much better if... - day/night actually meant something. The difference in damage dealt or received is pretty negligible and you get day/night versions of every attack so it's not like you're ever having to make a strategic choice when outfitting your character. - The party level system continued to make things more difficult rather than making the game crazy insane easy at the final level - The timing based things weren't always the exact same timing so you couldn't easily get a rhythm that worked 100% of the time.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I foughtmostly with Allegretto,Frederic, Polka, and Viola. That's a well rounded squad. Pumpkinhead3

I thought you only had 3 people in battle at a time. Is this not the case in the PS3 version? Or am I remembering wrong?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I hate JRPGs and yet I loved Eternal Sonata. Maybe it's because the story was so philosophical and introspective. Maybe it's because the game doesn't require a lot of grinding until maybe the very end. Maybe because there are no annoying random encounters. Maybe because it doesn't overstays its welcome, not being exceedingly long. I don't know, I just loved the gameplay and the art direction. Definitely recommended, even if you're a JRPG hater.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I beat it without grinding... Maybe you're not using the right characters or strategy. I remember the chick with the bow was especially broken
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Viola was awesome.

The game could have been better. The majority of characters got little to no development. Ie Romance between Viola and Jazz that really went no where. But the game was awesome and art was amazing. Music puns aside, it had a good story that at the very least kept you entertained.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I thought it was awful, with its only real saving grace being a dearth of JRPGs at the time, some pretty graphics, and nice music (mostly due to having actual pieces by Chopin). The story was nothing new, and the whole Chopin slant did nothing but make it ridiculous. The characters didn't help either, as they were all universally annoying. The battle system was okay, but its relatively fast paced nature was offset by the number of battles you had to take part in as well as a lack of things to actually do in battle (and a waste of the dark/light system). Weapon and armor upgrades...not even visually represented. The worst part, however, was the pacing. Dungeons were too long, often too convoluted, requiring you to run back and forth and back and forth ad nauseum in order to complete (the graveyard and Fort Fermata come to mind immediately, with the Fort being the more egregious offender). The cutscenes, while pretty, went on far too long with characters nattering in obnoxious voiceovers about pretty much nothing in particular. I realize that pacing is a big problem in a lot of JRPGs, but Eternal Sonata turned bad pacing into an art form.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I remember the chick with the bow was especially brokenistuffedsunny
She's completely broken early on (maybe she becomes less powerful later on?), able to heal your party to full health in one sweep and completely decimate enemies if you shoot from far enough away. And the aiming's not hard, so once you figure that out you can deal ridiculous amounts of damage with each arrow.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
man it's been such a long time since I played that game. I didn't like the main heroine's voice.
Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

I heard good things about Eternal Sonata in the past, but I haven't gotten the chance to play it as of yet. Thanks to the good feedback posters have given on this thread, I might head down to EB Games and check it out tomorrow. It's probably selling for pretty cheap, it wouldn't hurt to shell out $25 and pick it up.

sinclairhxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 sinclairhxc
Member since 2005 • 398 Posts

i love this game. i'm currently in the middle of it but i'm experiencing the same thing, only for a different reason. i don't really see why you'd have to 'grind' for the bosses. i think the games been pretty 'run straight through it' so far, nothing too difficult. my biggest problem is staying interested and dealing with the storyline. i used to be huge into rpg's, but i think from playing too many fighters and shooters in the past 5+ years rpg's can't hold my attention lol.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Umm... actually this game is pretty easy. I do remember having trouble and running out of potions in the beginning, but there's a trick to it.

It's been a while since I played that game so I don't remember what it was or what to tell you...

I do suggest you stick with it though. Lovely game, really lovely game.

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

I really tried to like this game, but I just couldn't. The writing was really bad, the characters were annoying, and even though the battle system was cool, there was no enemy variety, and there was too much grinding.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Ok, on second thought, this is turning out to be a pretty awesome game. Guess it was just getting alittle used to the battle system and how it works. The thing I love is how there's so much adventure, with many sceneries, great graphics, and the voice acting isn't terrible. (Option for Japanese) Anyway, I don't know if it's just me but the game reminds me alot of Dragon Quest VIII. Thanks for the push to keep going with it otherwise I would of missed out on a great JRPG :)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm a classical music fan, and a JRPG fan. Loved it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44570 Posts
I tried playing it twice, got bored halfway through. Way too linear for my tastes, but a good looking game and great animation nonetheless. Maybe I'll go back and play it all the way through one-day.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Loved this game!

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I remember the chick with the bow was especially brokenistuffedsunny
Ranged attacks being a strong auto-hit that doesn't require character movement is a little broken, but Salsa should take the cake for jank. She hits hard and her attacks are fast enough to where she can build up one super strong attack meter thing (I forget its name) in a single turn. One of her super attacks is a huge combo that does so many hits that it builds you meter close to where it was when you launched it. On top of that, she moves really fast on her own; uncontrollably fast if you give her anything that boosts her movement speed.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44210 Posts
It's been a long time since I've played it but I don't recall having to do much grinding in it. As for what I thought about the game I really liked the visuals and combat but the story in it bored me to tears and there wasn't any cool bosses or villains. I really like my RPG's to be epic and grandiose in nature and ultimately Eternal Sonata just didn't fulfill that for me.