El Shaddai?>

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Before this game was released, I was following it as it seemed like a real interesting game, mainly the graphics and gameplay... but once I found out about it being religious... kinda had second thoughts about it. Anyway, I played the demo and still not sure about it. Does anyone own this game? How does the game progress? Dungeons? Is it always very linear or can you explore more?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

but once I found out about it being religious...

enz2

What gave it away? Was it that El Shaddai is one of the Judaic names of God?

It's like game as Ninja gaiden, Devil May Cry, Dantes inferno etc without the element of exploration.

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
From what I've read it takes a very interesting view of the bible that is more just telling it like a story but in a different way. I don't think it's preachy or anything.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

From my time with it, it's linear. There's a lot of platforming and combat in between. The combat is a bit dull, but the platforming is the best aspect of it. As for the story, yes, it is religious, but it is also a bizarre tale.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Playing a game based upon the Bible is no different than playing a game based on Norse or Greek mythologies. I'm sure you don't hold the religious criticism against God of War. There's a difference between something being preachy and a game using the mythology of a religion as a basis for a story.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
I always thought the game looked neat, then I played the demo. I hated it immensely. Oh well. Unique and new IP =/= good game.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Beautiful game. Story makes no sense what so ever. Gameplay is pretty good. Those are the most prominent things I thought of when I played the game.

I wouldn't let the religious aspect stop you from playing this game. Did the religious aspect stop you from playing God of War, Okami, Dante's Inferno, Prince of Persia, or Assassin's Creed?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Randolph
Playing a game based upon the Bible is no different than playing a game based on Norse or Greek mythologies. I'm sure you don't hold the religious criticism against God of War. There's a difference between something being preachy and a game using the mythology of a religion as a basis for a story.Canvas_Of_Flesh
Exactly. Using religious mythology for a game is harmless.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I was interested in the game until I downloaded the demo.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Randolph

Bigboi500
That killed it for me too. If the demo is representative of the full game, then Ignition would have to pay ME to play it.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Randolph

That killed it for me too. If the demo is representative of the full game, then Ignition would have to pay ME to play it.

They couldn't pay me enough to play that game. :P

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randolph
I'd be willing to give it a go for about two thousand dollars an hour. But only if they give me beer so I can get a little drunk and fool myself into thinking I'm having a good time.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I thought it was an excellent game, even if it did drag a little towards the end. And Armaros (I think I've spelled that right)is the best boss ever.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Beautiful game. Story makes no sense what so ever. Gameplay is pretty good. Those are the most prominent things I thought of when I played the game.

I wouldn't let the religious aspect stop you from playing this game. Did the religious aspect stop you from playing God of War, Okami, Dante's Inferno, Prince of Persia, or Assassin's Creed?

Minishdriveby
My sentiments exactly.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I played the demo at PAX and I was terribly disappointed. I found the combat to be increibly dull and lifeless. The art style is truly unique and whimsical, however it seems that was the entire focus of the game. To make it pretty.

The platforming was too floaty and the game as a whole lacked any sense of urgnecy or tension to make me care about attaining my goal.

I really wanted to like this game. I really did. I just didn't. These are demo impressions but for the amount of things that did not sit well with me I doubt that the final version would have been able to make a difference.