EA: "Nintendo is the leader, they are getting HALF our emphasis from now on

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheNextOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheNextOrder
Member since 2009 • 1510 Posts

BIGGEST Publisher to shift half its focus to Wii

According to IGN.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/950/950903p1.html

UK, February 4, 2009 - EA's John Riccitiello has spoken of how the publisher is to place half of its emphasis on the Wii, as it looks to 'rival Nintendo on their own platform'.

"Nintendo is the leader; they're getting half our emphasis in terms of title counts," said Riccitiello in the company's Q3 earning call, picked up by videogaming24/7, confirming that the hugely successful console will be a key platform for EA.

A Wii version of the space-bound survival horror Dead Space, announced in the same call, appears to be one of the first signs of this new focus.

morewasabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 morewasabi
Member since 2006 • 1641 Posts

That means fewer EA games on the real consoles.

Sounds good to me.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts
I'm sure the 45M install base and the much cheaper dev costs has nothing to do with it.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

morewasabi
Except that the Wii is also a real console to, so I'm not really sure what your point is here, especailly since EA as of late has been doing rather well as a publisher for console gamers as a whole.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
*Looks at Boom Blox. Hm...I wonder if the Boom Blox sequel will be successful. This is good news for me, since I haven't used my Wii in some time, and wouldn't mind buying new games for it. Too bad they'll never put out Tatsunoku vs. Capcom here in the states...instead, you'll have to find ways to get around that region lock T_T.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

hmmm.... instead of just porting over a game, maybe they should be working on a new IP that actually is built around the Wii Motion Controls.

But yeah, this is good news for Wii owners. Maybe others will follow suit and Wii will start seeing some games that I'm actually interested in.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
in a time of recession the Wii's gonna be the best option for devs cause its cheaper to develop and having a higher install base, in turn making it easier to turn a profit.:P Pretty much normal tactics imo.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
An increase in the number of titles produced for a specific console doesn't mean jack if quality isn't up to snuff. Quality over quantity I'd say.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I wonder if this will mean proper original core games or more stuff like mysims and that stupid looking dancing game they released a while back though. Dead space is looking awful at the moment but luckily they will run out of proper next gen games to bastardise eventually, Im just curious which way they will go from there (if they start churning out quality games which actually make the most of the Wii that cant be bad).
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Recently, Sega's CEO said to IGN that original IP wasn't received all that warmly last year and that the reception to said games might have repercussions. Looks like he was right.

What a shame. EA offered up some quality original games last year (Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Spore spring to mind) and they've picked up the latest Doublefine game (Brutal Legend), so its clear to me that at one point EA was targetting gamers looking for something besides the latest sequel (which is more than can be said for say, Activision or to a lesser extent Ubisoft).

I don't think gamers are to blame or anything (if a game doesn't appeal to a guy, I can't blame him for not buying it) but I also can't blame companies for deciding to rebalance their releases towards safety (cranking out first person shooters on the PS3/X360 or minigame collections on the Wii and safe sequels on all platforms) and telling more of their innovators 'no'. And minigame collections are cheaper than shooters.

While they may continue to make games for the PS3/X360, such games will be developed with an eye for the Wii, and the hardware capabilities are so radically different that EA's future hardcore games will have little value for PS3/X360 owners. This is a sad day. Hardcore gaming is poorer for the loss of EA.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Took them a while, but only matters if it's a good "half". Maybe we'll start seeing the true potential of the Wii.

Sounds good to me.

morewasabi
Hmm.. this isn't system wars.
TheNextOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheNextOrder

Took them a while, but only matters if it's a good "half". Master-Thief-09
I think that is whats being implied. Espeically with Dead Space just announced for Wii. I think EA, or any publisher putting their good stuff on the Wii is really dumbing themselves down and not living up to their potential. I agree with Carnage Heart and think the quality of 360 and PS3 games is going to slow down because now Wii games are going to be piggybacking on them for the rest of this generation. Worst of all, with publishers either dropping like flies and /or getting rocked by the economy + the current direction of the gaming market, I think it's a good possibility than alot of big publishers will follow EA's lead and put more focus on the Wii, with its huge install base and cheap development. A sad day for gaming indeed.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It depends on what EA wants to do. They have to be smart about it and not just do a bunch of shoddy ports or half-baked mini-games. I read in a related article that Riccitiello's goal is to rival Nintendo's first-party dominance with their own software. Sounds lofty and a little deluded, but if he's serious about it hope EA takes the Wii seriously. I wonder what he has in mind. Maybe just publish or make new IPs for the Wii? I hope EA doesn't pull off a Ubisoft, that's all I have to say.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts

Recently, Sega's CEO said to IGN that original IP wasn't received all that warmly last year and that the reception to said games might have repercussions. Looks like he was right.

What a shame. EA offered up some quality original games last year (Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Spore spring to mind) and they've picked up the latest Doublefine game (Brutal Legend), so its clear to me that at one point EA was targetting gamers looking for something besides the latest sequel (which is more than can be said for say, Activision or to a lesser extent Ubisoft).

I don't think gamers are to blame or anything (if a game doesn't appeal to a guy, I can't blame him for not buying it) but I also can't blame companies for deciding to rebalance their releases towards safety (cranking out first person shooters on the PS3/X360 or minigame collections on the Wii and safe sequels on all platforms) and telling more of their innovators 'no'. And minigame collections are cheaper than shooters.

While they may continue to make games for the PS3/X360, such games will be developed with an eye for the Wii, and the hardware capabilities are so radically different that EA's future hardcore games will have little value for PS3/X360 owners. This is a sad day. Hardcore gaming is poorer for the loss of EA.

CarnageHeart
Exactly how I feel. Thanks to the terrible economy, EA finally put out their best, most creative year in a long time, if not forever, and they get punished for it. It's really discouraging.
MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MartinCaillou
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

EA sucks. Instead of looking for ways to make good games, and invest in their customers, they are looking for a way to make easy money to make their investors happy, and if that means show stocks for 100, but with a real value of 50, so be it.

They are losing money now, but the sales of EA´s games are great (millions of copies sold), and that´s because they empty the company´s pocket with a corrupted administration, that steal the money and blame it on "the crisis". To add insult to injury, they fired a lot of employees to cover that fact.

It´s funny, but Nintendo it´s the opposite of EA: Nintendo do great and polish games, understand their customers, and have a healthy company full of people who love games, and not only money.

The party is over, EA. I will never buy a game made by you in the future, untill you care about games and gamers.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skylock00

The party is over, EA. I will never buy a game made by you in the future, untill you care about games and gamers.

MartinCaillou
So...did you bother to buy any of their games in 2008, when they were making creative, well made games, some of which were fully original IPs? Because it's the poor performance of that year that they're making the choices they are now about where they're going.
MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MartinCaillou

As a matter of fact, yes indeed.

Dead Space, Fifa 09 and played the mirror´s edge demo.

Dead space is Resident Evil 4, plus Bioshock, plus Alien: it turn out really good, but it was not creative. Sorry. It was an intent to copy succesfull games and make a buck doing so.

FIFA 09: was the best game in the series, but yet the same old game (i prefer PES 09).

And Mirror´s edge... looks to linear to me, and it didn´t interested me enough to buy it. That one, is innovative, i agree with you in that one.

Besides, EA sucks, but 1 out of 10 games are ok, and the games will go on in other studios if EA falls, wich i hope.

Good games will never dissapear. Bad companies should.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MartinCaillou

Poor performance? their games did really well, compare the millions of units they sold and compare them with other companies. If hey lose money it´s because the administartion don´t do right their job. They bought and destroy competition instead.

They don´t sell as much games as before, because 70% of their games suck or are the same garbage they put out the previous year, and 70% of people is bored and tired of EA and the way they do things.

They want my buck? Then EA has to stop loving ONLY money.

RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
Yet more confirmation of my theory that I'm not long for this hobby. What I wouldn't give to take it all back to the days when gaming was niche and nerdy. I don't fault Nintendo, they are a profit driven company. But their business model is going to be the end of my interest in the hobby. I remember a day when the best selling console had the best games line up. Not anymore. Then you look at the simple fact that Sony and MS, being profit driven as well, have virtually no financial incentive to NOT copy the Nintendo strategy, and that's why I'll be out of gaming completely by 2012 at the latest.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skylock00

\Besides, EA sucks, but 1 out of 10 games are ok, and the games will go on in other studios if EA falls, wich i hope.

MartinCaillou
EA doesn't suck nearly as much as you claim they do, but having blind hate is common in the fan base in the game industry, as there always has to be a company that is the sole cause of all the problems, even if most of those claims are unfounded.

You've only played 2 games published by EA in 2008, and one demo, which is a very small portion of the total software they put out, which overall was better than many other publishers in terms of total number of good games versus poor games based on critical reception.

Furthermore, your contention that EA loves 'only' money is laughable, as most all companies who are serious are in the business to make money, which makes it a major priority in their decision making process, and some are, at this point, far more notorious for doing questionable practices than EA themselves are.

EA isn't perfect, but then no large scale company/publisher is going to be, but to claim such a strong level of hate against them from the standpoint of not even buying/trying most of what they're putting out is as laughable as me claiming that most of the games that a particular developer puts out are of a poor quality despite not having played almost any of them.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

As a matter of fact, yes indeed.

Dead Space, Fifa 09 and played the mirror´s edge demo.

Dead space is Resident Evil 4, plus Bioshock, plus Alien: it turn out really good, but it was not creative. Sorry. It was an intent to copy succesfull games and make a buck doing so.

FIFA 09: was the best game in the series, but yet the same old game (i prefer PES 09).

And Mirror´s edge... looks to linear to me, and it didn´t interested me enough to buy it. That one, is innovative, i agree with you in that one.

Besides, EA sucks, but 1 out of 10 games are ok, and the games will go on in other studios if EA falls, wich i hope.

MartinCaillou

Don't buy yearly installments of sports games, and expect them to reinvent the wheel every year.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Translation:
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

TheNextOrder

Aren't they the second-biggest after Activision?

Sorry, I'm pedantic. :P

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MartinCaillou

Skylocke, some aclarations:

I said that EA loves ONLY money. That´s what i think because i see their priorities. Other companies love it too, but, Nintendo, for example, love the games they made, and try with respect the consumers.

You said that EA did a lot of great games in 08, please, Dead space aside, could you tell me wich ones? Please. I want to know.

And my attitude towards EA it´s consequence of what i feel about them, because i played their games, and read about what they did as a company in the past, and worst yet, what they plan to do in the future. My opinion it´s just as passional as your defense of EA. The difference i see, it´s a give plenty of reasons why i don´t like EA, and you didn´t justify your defense.

I challenge you again: EA did more than 20 games in 08, can you tell me wich of them you think are great? Or better yet, tell me what EA decisions you like (i hope you don´t agree with the fire people part).

San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#26 San-Frodenzo
Member since 2008 • 14337 Posts

Translation:  GodModeEnabled

right in the money my friend

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="MartinCaillou"]

\Besides, EA sucks, but 1 out of 10 games are ok, and the games will go on in other studios if EA falls, wich i hope.

Skylock00

EA doesn't suck nearly as much as you claim they do, but having blind hate is common in the fan base in the game industry, as there always has to be a company that is the sole cause of all the problems, even if most of those claims are unfounded.

You've only played 2 games published by EA in 2008, and one demo, which is a very small portion of the total software they put out, which overall was better than many other publishers in terms of total number of good games versus poor games based on critical reception.

Furthermore, your contention that EA loves 'only' money is laughable, as most all companies who are serious are in the business to make money, which makes it a major priority in their decision making process, and some are, at this point, far more notorious for doing questionable practices than EA themselves are.

EA isn't perfect, but then no large scale company/publisher is going to be, but to claim such a strong level of hate against them from the standpoint of not even buying/trying most of what they're putting out is as laughable as me claiming that most of the games that a particular developer puts out are of a poor quality despite not having played almost any of them.

Also, just to add on Skylock's reply. EA just doesn't make games, they're a great publisher and distributor.

They distribute the Valve games like Left 4 Dead and the Orange Box. They also distributed Rock Band, and they published Crysis. And they made some great titles like Dead Space, Skate, Burnout, and Boom Blox. They also took the most chances last year even taking up Brutal Legend. I know everyone already said all these things but the point is, EA isn't that bad. They're good and doing better.

I used to criticize them too, but not anymore.

And another note on Dead Space. Just because you (to Martin, not to Skylock) think it lacks originality or borrows from other games doesn't make it a bad game. You know that almost every game borrows from other games. Why accuse only Dead Space? Just because it's from EA?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story

Nintendo, for example, love the games they made, and try with respect the consumers.

MartinCaillou

Um...don't think so. Maybe in the past, but if you still think that way than you have to re-examine what Nintendo has been doing the past two years.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

EA sucks. Instead of looking for ways to make good games, and invest in their customers, they are looking for a way to make easy money to make their investors happy, and if that means show stocks for 100, but with a real value of 50, so be it.

They are losing money now, but the sales of EA´s games are great (millions of copies sold), and that´s because they empty the company´s pocket with a corrupted administration, that steal the money and blame it on "the crisis". To add insult to injury, they fired a lot of employees to cover that fact.

It´s funny, but Nintendo it´s the opposite of EA: Nintendo do great and polish games, understand their customers, and have a healthy company full of people who love games, and not only money.

MartinCaillou

I'm sorry but your arguments here are horrifically poor and backed by flimsy rationales.

Every business is propelled by money and if you are going to criticize EA for not respecting their customer base in pursuit of financial gain then where do you find the audacity to claim Nintendo is anything but a complete and total sellout? Did you happen to see the 2008 Wii lineup? If you didn't I'll give you a hint: it sucked. Hard.

EA had an incredible year and most of their product was top shelf.

- Battle Field Bad Company- Excellent FPS with solid multiplayer.

- Dead Space - Probably the best survival horror game in years.

- Mirror's Edge- Conceptually brilliant game with a radically different slant on the FPS and a well-implemented time trial component to expand replay.

- Burnout Paradise- Despite weak demo, an outstanding addition to the series replete with insanely extensive, free DLC.

- NHL 09 - Probably the best Hockey game ever made. The execution of this game is simply superb.

- Army of Two - Vastly underrated title with some truly amazing co-op game play.

The entire "I hate EA" thing is the mantra of the misinformed. EA outpaced most other publishers in 2008 in terms of quality and innovation and games like those posted above prove to me that EA cares more about their consumers than Nintendo does. I've been buying Nintendo products for 20 years and how do they respond this holiday season?

Answer: WiiMusic.

As to business practices, times are tough and layoffs are plentiful. Any company that is having financial difficulties is forced to slash costs and that reality is unfortunate but inescapable. If you don't think these "other" companies you refer to wouldn't do the same thing if necessary (and some already have) you are living in a fantasy world.

I always felt that the EA hate was overblown and ridiculous but given their recent renaissance, the idea of them being loathed for the reasons you list strikes me as flatly nonsensical. If EA is the bad guy then Nintendo is the Prince of Darkness.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

CarnageHeart

I think this is a rash decision on EA's part to just shift their development resources to the wii and in a way abandon the HD consoles, most of their current IPs cater more to a more hardcore userbase than those who buy a wii. Unfortunately it's a matter of simple economics but then EA will likely lose even more mindshare to Activision in terms of their PS3/360 software penetration. The advantage of wii development is that it's cheaper to make games on the wii, so it might not be an advantage to devote more resources to wii games, the low budget is what's helping wii games since they're cheap to make and you don't have to sell a ton of copies to recoup development costs. Porting up wii games will create the problem for EA that their games simply will not be competitive on HD consoles, franchises like Medal of Honor already lost so much mindshare among shooter fans that resorting to porting up from the wii will likely kill any good will left for the franchise, would a battlefield game even be competitive on the wii?

It's not like there isn't competition on the wii either, just because Nintendo is making a KILLING on the wii doesn't mean other third-party publishers will, that has always been the case on Nintendo platforms, Nintendo games sell extremely well but only a select few third-party titles actually thrive on a Nintendo platform. EA's development teams making stuff like Battlefield and MOH aren't exactly built to make games like wii fit/play/sports. Maybe they should test out the waters with the Dead Space port before going ahead with their plan.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MartinCaillou

Sorry guys, but all that you say doesn´t reflect the reality of the facts.

Fact: EA lost money in 2008, and fire employees.

Fact: Nintendo sales are on the sky.

So, if EA is so great and make excelent games, and Nintendo is so bad, why this happen? I don´t agree with you but i respect your opinions, it´s just that they are minority.

And in response to EA do this, EA do that: Everything EA does, can be done better with another company. Thank God they are not the monopoly that they try to be.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skylock00

MartinCaillou
Fact: Other developers and companies lost money in 2008, and had to fire employees, including non-gaming companies like my local National Public Radio station....so, what does that prove? Obviously you're asking us to prove a point you won't believe even if the facts are more aligned in our favor, so arguing with you is hardly productive, or even enjoyable. I think I'll go back to enjoying Skate 2, Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band 2, and other titles that EA was responsible for bringing out during the past year.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ASK_Story

So, if EA is so great and make excelent games, and Nintendo is so bad, why this happen? I don´t agree with you but i respect your opinions, it´s just that they are minority.

MartinCaillou

That's really not fair or reasonable to compare to what EA has done with what Nintendo has been doing.

First of all, Nintendo made it very clear they are reaching out to the casual market, which they have proven, is a bigger market than the hardcore gaming crowd. Secondly, not all of Nintendo games are good nor are they accepted by gamers. Aside from Smash Bros. Brawl and maybe Mario Kart, all Nintendo really did last year was casual stuff. And they've been riding on past titles for the last two years like Wii-Play and Wii-Sports. So you can't say Nintendo is making excellent games because they really haven't made anything new. They didn't even release a major holiday title, unless you think Animal Crossing or Wii-Music was a major release. Another huge release Nintendo brought out was Wii-Fit, and that isn't really a game either.

But in contrast, look at the titles EA put out. Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, Boom Blox, Burnout Paradise, and a bunch of others that are all real games for the hardcore market. Like I mentioned before, EA also distributed Rock Band and Left 4 Dead. Even Boom Blox, which is a casual title is much better than any of Nintendo's casual titles. But sadly, it didn't sell. And just because Nintendo games sold more than Boom Blox doesn't mean they're better. It just means that the market is very wierd sometimes and that Nintendo's first-party has always been dominant on Nintendo's consoles.

You really can't come in here and tell me with a straight face that Wii-Fit, Wii-Music, Animal Crossing, or Mario Kart are better than Dead Space, Boom Blox, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band, or Left 4 Dead just because they sold more. That's ridiculous. It's just a shame casual people overlook truly great games like Boom Blox and would rather buy Wii-Play instead. And Rock Band is successful, yet people would rather get Wii-Fit, which is beyond my human comprehension. Does that mean EA is doing wrong and made bad games? Of course not. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the only great true Nintendo game, which wasn't really made by Nintendo either but from a developer called Sora. Other than that, EA actually made better games than Nintendo did all year long. They just didn't sell, which is a real bummer.

It's not EA's fault. I truly commend them for reaching out with newer IPs and taking more chances than any other developer last year who played it safe. Sales doesn't mean squat. I hope you don't consider Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, or Little Big Planet as bad games, because based on your reasoning, they are because they weren't commercially successful. That doesn't make sense does it.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#34 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts

Sounds good to me.

morewasabi
lol That's something I was going to say.
TheNextOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheNextOrder

[QUOTE="TheNextOrder"]

Teufelhuhn

Aren't they the second-biggest after Activision?

Sorry, I'm pedantic. :P

Actually if we're gonna get technical Nintendo is the biggest publisher:P
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="MartinCaillou"]

ASK_Story

That's really not fair or reasonable to compare to what EA has done with what Nintendo has been doing.

First of all, Nintendo made it very clear they are reaching out to the casual market, which they have proven, is a bigger market than the hardcore gaming crowd. Secondly, not all of Nintendo games are good nor are they accepted by gamers. Aside from Smash Bros. Brawl and maybe Mario Kart, all Nintendo really did last year was casual stuff. And they've been riding on past titles for the last two years like Wii-Play and Wii-Sports. So you can't say Nintendo is making excellent games because they really haven't made anything new. They didn't even release a major holiday title, unless you think Animal Crossing or Wii-Music was a major release. Another huge release Nintendo brought out was Wii-Fit, and that isn't really a game either.

But in contrast, look at the titles EA put out. Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, Boom Blox, Burnout Paradise, and a bunch of others that are all real games for the hardcore market. Like I mentioned before, EA also distributed Rock Band and Left 4 Dead. Even Boom Blox, which is a casual title is much better than any of Nintendo's casual titles. But sadly, it didn't sell. And just because Nintendo games sold more than Boom Blox doesn't mean they're better. It just means that the market is very wierd sometimes and that Nintendo's first-party has always been dominant on Nintendo's consoles.

You really can't come in here and tell me with a straight face that Wii-Fit, Wii-Music, Animal Crossing, or Mario Kart are better than Dead Space, Boom Blox, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band, or Left 4 Dead just because they sold more. That's ridiculous. It's just a shame casual people overlook truly great games like Boom Blox and would rather buy Wii-Play instead. And Rock Band is successful, yet people would rather get Wii-Fit, which is beyond my human comprehension. Does that mean EA is doing wrong and made bad games? Of course not. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the only great true Nintendo game, which wasn't really made by Nintendo either but from a developer called Sora. Other than that, EA actually made better games than Nintendo did all year long. They just didn't sell, which is a real bummer.

It's not EA's fault. I truly commend them for reaching out with newer IPs and taking more chances than any other developer last year who played it safe. Sales doesn't mean squat. I hope you don't consider Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, or Little Big Planet as bad games, because based on your reasoning, they are because they weren't commercially successful. That doesn't make sense does it.

Ask, I think you are making a mistake when you assume that Martin is a gamer. Clearly he is either a stock analyst (profits=quality) or a fanboy grasping at straws. Either way, I'm surprised you and others in this thread have wasted so much (virtual) ink on him.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MartinCaillou

LOL. It´s truth, i think it´s useless to keep this on. Everyone it´s taking this way too far. Me included. I have my opinion, and you have yours. I can make an autocritic, maybe my points of views were exaggerate. Sorry if it felt that way. But i still think that Nintendo do better games, and respect the customers, and EA doesn´t.

For those who understood what i was saying, and those that expressed their opinions with respect, we´ll see you again in another topic.

But, for those who were unkind, and said things like i´m not a gamer (because i don´t think like you!), well, it´s really your problem. Hope you can deal with that intolerance, it´ll make you lose a lot of possible future friends.

Fleeman6019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Fleeman6019
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts
i just hope its some good games and not more crap like they have already released on the sysyem. Hey EA My Sims sucks we don't want it take that crap somewhere else.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

LOL. It´s truth, i think it´s useless to keep this on. Everyone it´s taking this way too far. Me included. I have my opinion, and you have yours. I can make an autocritic, maybe my points of views were exaggerate. Sorry if it felt that way. But i still think that Nintendo do better games, and respect the customers, and EA doesn´t.

For those who understood what i was saying, and those that expressed their opinions with respect, we´ll see you again in another topic.

But, for those who were unkind, and said things like i´m not a gamer (because i don´t think like you!), well, it´s really your problem. Hope you can deal with that intolerance, it´ll make you lose a lot of possible future friends.

MartinCaillou

I very clearly laid out why EA respects their customers far more than Nintendo so where's your response to my argument? Merely saying Nintendo is better and EA sucks doesn't really qualify as much of a thesis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#40 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Well, since the Wii can't handle 99% of the games that EA makes for the other consoles, bad move......
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

And Mirror´s edge... looks to linear to me, and it didn´t interested me enough to buy it. That one, is innovative, i agree with you in that one.MartinCaillou

I have to agree with these points. Dead Space may be an original IP, but the game itself is far from creative or original. It was little more than EA's jump on the Resident Evil 4 bandwagon just as The Godfather was to Grand Theft Auto. These types of games may be new for EA, but not new for gamers. That, of course, does not mean they're bad games.

Mirror's Edge was a truly creative title, but it was a step backwards as much as it was a step forwards. The game features absolutely archaic trial and error design which in my book equates to bad design.

I also don't understand the poor performance argument. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge are million sellers and Spore sold over 2 million thus far. Those are very impressive numbers (especially for Mirror's Edge considering the type of game it is - short, linear, outdated design).

Personally, I think it simply boils down to the fact that EA cannot ignore the fact that Nintendo enjoys the largest console userbase right now. And to be perfectly honest, I really doubt this sensationalistic statement means all that much. The top creative talent at EA will still probably retain the freedom to choose what kind of games to make and what platforms to make them on (or at least have the opportunity to convince the suits to believe in their vision). EA still has the resources to distill those ideas to other platforms (as they did with Spore and now Dead Space).

I'm much more worried about other recent announcements which indicate that EA might go back to extreme franchise milking which would be a shame. They just announced four Need for Speed titles and just as many--if not more--Battlefield games - two of which are almost identical (Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield 1943).

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

What a shame .... and EA appeared to be making so much progress in 2008. Ah well, I'll miss 'em.

Sadly, I predict this will be a trend. Expect to see more of the publishers and developers we love allocating a hefty portion of their efforts and funds toward the Wii and the Wii crowd. As long as their endeavors aren't too successful, the hardcore can expect to retain some substantial attention.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It makes perfect sense ... the biggest platform gets the lion's share of development time.

Just look at the PS2 from last generation; resources were allocated in exactly the same way.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#44 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Who the h*** cares? As long as great games (read: Dead Space, Crysis, Mass Effect...) keep coming out for other platforms, I won't mind at all.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mash_Affect

It makes perfect sense ... the biggest platform gets the lion's share of development time.

Just look at the PS2 from last generation; resources were allocated in exactly the same way.

Dire_Weasel
So why haven't they allocated most of their resources to the PC yet?
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mash_Affect
Who the h*** cares? As long as great games (read: Dead Space, Crysis, Mass Effect...) keep coming out for other platforms, I won't mind at all.Gammit10
This announcement implies that titles for other platforms like the ones you mentioned will at best be half as abundant.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I think I'll wait to see if Luigi makes a guest appearance in Mass Effect 2 before I worry. For all I know "half" could mean their sports franchises, as I'm sure they acount for more than half the company's revenue. But I just can't see EA telling Valve that Episode 3 has to be compatible with the Wiimote...I'd love to be there for that conversation. Ricci can't even get Newell to port his company's games to the PS3. We'll probably see less "experiments" like Mirror's Edge, which sucks, but companies like BioWare and Valve will be free to do as they please creatively. Really, when it comes down to it, that's all I really care about anyway. Wii fans are more than welcome to future renditions of LotR Conquest.

As for Wii ports causing 360 and PS3 counterparts to be dumbed down technically, I doubt it. Even the snakes at Eidos still managed to pump out a technically strong 360 and PS3 showing of TRU even as they delivered a Wii version. EA might be sloppy at porting games across consoles of the same generation, but they won't make the mistake of skimping a whole generation's worth of technical details with an audience that will eat them alive for it. I dunno; we'll see. Like I said, I want to see the plan in practice; words are more open to interpretation.

TheNextOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheNextOrder
Who the h*** cares? As long as great games (read: Dead Space, Crysis, Mass Effect...) keep coming out for other platforms, I won't mind at all.Gammit10
Well if more emphasis is being placed on Wii, it makes sense that less emphsasis will be placed on everything else which is the problem. I hate to see so many third parties going through such hard financial times, it makes them more vulnerable to adopting a greater Wii emphasis like EA.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

But I just can't see EA telling Valve that Episode 3 has to be compatible with the Wiimote...I'd love to be there for that conversation. Ricci can't even get Newell to port his company's games to the PS3.Ish_basic

EA has no say in Valve's decision-making process in any way, shape or form. EA doesn't even publish Valve games, but merely distributes them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart

I have to agree with these points. Dead Space may be an original IP, but the game itself is far from creative or original. It was little more than EA's jump on the Resident Evil 4 bandwagon just as The Godfather was to Grand Theft Auto. These types of games may be new for EA, but not new for gamers. That, of course, does not mean they're bad games.

Mirror's Edge was a truly creative title, but it was a step backwards as much as it was a step forwards. The game features absolutely archaic trial and error design which in my book equates to bad design.

I also don't understand the poor performance argument. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge are million sellers and Spore sold over 2 million thus far. Those are very impressive numbers (especially for Mirror's Edge considering the type of game it is - short, linear, outdated design).

Personally, I think it simply boils down to the fact that EA cannot ignore the fact that Nintendo enjoys the largest console userbase right now. And to be perfectly honest, I really doubt this sensationalistic statement means all that much. The top creative talent at EA will still probably retain the freedom to choose what kind of games to make and what platforms to make them on (or at least have the opportunity to convince the suits to believe in their vision). EA still has the resources to distill those ideas to other platforms (as they did with Spore and now Dead Space).

I'm much more worried about other recent announcements which indicate that EA might go back to extreme franchise milking which would be a shame. They just announced four Need for Speed titles and just as many--if not more--Battlefield games - two of which are almost identical (Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield 1943).

UpInFlames

What does it take for a game to be considered original? Dead Space's strategic dismemberment doesn't revolutionize the subgenre, but its a fun twist and while it shares the same 'jump-scare' philosophy as RE in terms of pacing its quite different from RE4 (and judging from the demo and reviews, RE5). Dead Space, kind of like Silent Hill and Siren, is a game which shares a genre with RE without merely aping it.

As for Mirror's Edge, it wasn't for me (I'm not a huge fan of platformers) but as I've said before, I don't see old school game design (old games derived their length from challenge and forcing players to learn levels and patterns whereas modern games derive their length more from sheer length and multiple pathways) as being a bad thing now and again. I may have died a bajillion times before I finished Ghouls n' Ghosts, but I enjoyed the climb (and felt really good when I got to the top of the mountain).

Like you, I fear that of the consequences of EA's disappointment is going to be an overrelience on franchises (and I stated in my first post in this thread, innovators will hear 'no' more often).

P.S. - Nice user icon.