Duke Nukem Forever - Exploiting the name?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Reach-The-Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Reach-The-Myth
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

Well, I took a look at the gameplay video shown at PAX (Link below) and I don't think that it looks like the product that 12 years of work promises and the hype is promising - Instead, I think that it looks average, (With the duke charm) just with the name stapled on it... I am probably wrong - Yet - I have a bad feeling about this (Star Wars reference... Oh Yeah!).

So what's your take on Duke Nukem Forever - And afterall - Thats just my opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8FD0lV5M9c

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
The game itself will definitely be mediocre. The graphics aren't anything special, it will be just shooting and finishing off enemies in a gory way. I think the voice acting and humor that come with it are the most important. You can't say there's no duke nukem vibe until you play it though.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
The sort of mindless but fun action that made the older DN games popular has since been done plenty of times by other games (a recent example being bulletstorm). This game doesn't look revolutionary at all, but if it can manage to be ridiculously fun and show off the duke nukem charm and humour that made the old games popular then maybe it'll do well.
heidious_heid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 heidious_heid
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts
I think it's going to harken back to the old days of not-so-serious shoot-em-up games. Obviously there have been games like it since but none of them with that overtly misogynistic twang to it :) It may not be the culmination of years of work (what I like to call the 'Chinese Democracy' syndrome) but I don't think anyone is expecting anything revolutionary to be honest...
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

I'm still half-expecting it to be delayed again. And if it is released, we'll see this on the press start screen and nothing more.

I never played any of the Duke Nukem games though. But the trailer has me interested in this game. Looked pretty funny.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LustForSoul

I'm still half-expecting it to be delayed again. And if it is released, we'll see this on the press start screen and nothing more.

I never played any of the Duke Nukem games though. But the trailer has me interested in this game. Looked pretty funny.

Tropictrain
Your vid can't be displayed where I live due to copyright. I don't expect a delay, it's barely 2 months before the release, it would be a late delay. Still possible though, it's probably the final Duke Nukem so it's gotta be polished!
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I think all us hardcore Duke Nukem fans that have been waiting so long aren't expecting a mind blowing experience. Given all the delays, restarts in design, lay offs and ultimate closing of 3D Realms, there's a lot going against it.

But if the trailer is anything to go by, its going to be a lot of fun and offer that classic Duke Nukem vibe that made DN3D so special in the first place. Other games might have better firefights or larger scale, but Duke Nukem Forever will probably run away with all the personality and fun once again.

I'm hoping it'll be a huge success and from there Gearbox can develop future titles without all the problems plaguing this one. I wouldn't mind a Duke Nukem Begins that was rumored a while back with Gearbox.

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

Eh ill rent it!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
as a shooter I don't expect it to be groundbreaking, I just hope it's funny enough to keep me entertained
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

LustForSoul

Your vid can't be displayed where I live due to copyright. I don't expect a delay, it's barely 2 months before the release, it would be a late delay. Still possible though, it's probably the final Duke Nukem so it's gotta be polished!

lol That was a Rick Roll. :P Can you imagine how mad people would be?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

The game itself will definitely be mediocre. The graphics aren't anything special, it will be just shooting and finishing off enemies in a gory way. I think the voice acting and humor that come with it are the most important. You can't say there's no duke nukem vibe until you play it though. LustForSoul

Here's the thing...I don't know if you've been to one of the events that had Duke Nukem Forever playable, but until you've played it, you can't say that it will be mediocre, not until you sit down the game and go through it with a fine-tooth comb. Far as I'm concerned, Duke Nukem Forever is not supposed to be anything fancy. It's supposed to be kept intact with a promise of an original vision that was made by 3D Realms when they started work on it tweleve years ago and I think people forget this fact, including the original poster who created the thread.

That said, people do need to stop calling this a game that needs to rival Halo or Call Of Duty. This is something that I've been hearing lately from a lot of people and I think it's due to the fact that people have been way too spoiled over those games. Duke Nukem Forever is a game with its own identity and if people can't embrace that while playing Duke Nukem Forever, then that's an issue for them that needs to be solved. Do I think DNF is being exploited? No. If it was, then we would have already seen movies, toys, lunch boxes, and so on with the name slapped onto it. Otherwise, I've seen little advertising of the game, yet a lot of positive vibes from Gearbox and those who are bringing that vision to life.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Is there an FPS that doesn't look average? To me they all look the same. What makes this one special is that the character isn't bald or a space marine
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LustForSoul

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"]The game itself will definitely be mediocre. The graphics aren't anything special, it will be just shooting and finishing off enemies in a gory way. I think the voice acting and humor that come with it are the most important. You can't say there's no duke nukem vibe until you play it though. Metamania

Here's the thing...I don't know if you've been to one of the events that had Duke Nukem Forever playable, but until you've played it, you can't say that it will be mediocre, not until you sit down the game and go through it with a fine-tooth comb. Far as I'm concerned, Duke Nukem Forever is not supposed to be anything fancy. It's supposed to be kept intact with a promise of an original vision that was made by 3D Realms when they started work on it tweleve years ago and I think people forget this fact, including the original poster who created the thread.

That said, people do need to stop calling this a game that needs to rival Halo or Call Of Duty. This is something that I've been hearing lately from a lot of people and I think it's due to the fact that people have been way too spoiled over those games. Duke Nukem Forever is a game with its own identity and if people can't embrace that while playing Duke Nukem Forever, then that's an issue for them that needs to be solved. Do I think DNF is being exploited? No. If it was, then we would have already seen movies, toys, lunch boxes, and so on with the name slapped onto it. Otherwise, I've seen little advertising of the game, yet a lot of positive vibes from Gearbox and those who are bringing that vision to life.

Okay, I won't call it mediocre until I've played it...
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If it's even half as good as Duke Nukem 3D, it's a winner in my book.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Wen Randy is disscusing the DNF topic, it gives me this good feeling as if he's acting like child with a new toy to play with. I can honestly see that glimps in he's eyes, the only thing he definitely wants is bringing the game he heard about before he even was at Gearbox. It's about bringing the game 3D Realms wanted to bring for the fanbase. And in that sole regard, they have already succedeed.

It's a game were scores do not matter, because we can already picture the scores based on the previews. I can, no doubt, tell you 100% that Duke will not score above a 8. 7.5 and 6.5 is what i know it'll score. But like i said, this game is not meant to be taken as a game doing something new, whoever thinks that does not know anything about this.

It's meant to be taken as a walk on memory lane. It already succedeed, now all that's left is seeing the game in my hands, and playing it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Wen Randy is disscusing the DNF topic, it gives me this good feeling as if he's acting like child with a new toy to play with. I can honestly see that glimps in he's eyes, the only thing he definitely wants is bringing the game he heard about before he even was at Gearbox. It's about bringing the game 3D Realms wanted to bring for the fanbase. And in that sole regard, they have already succedeed.

It's a game were scores do not matter, because we can already picture the scores based on the previews. I can, no doubt, tell you 100% that Duke will not score above a 8. 7.5 and 6.5 is what i know it'll score. But like i said, this game is not meant to be taken as a game doing something new, whoever thinks that does not know anything about this.

It's meant to be taken as a walk on memory lane. It already succedeed, now all that's left is seeing the game in my hands, and playing it.

Lucianu

That's the day that I'm looking forward - the day of release. Having the copy in your hand, staring at the cover, and going "Holy s***...it's finally out." That day will be one to remember...

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Isn't this based on 3DR's work before the new developer picked it up? If so, there's really no point in talk about exploiting the name.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

Well, I took a look at the gameplay video shown at PAX (Link below) and I don't think that it looks like the product that 12 years of work promises and the hype is promising - Instead, I think that it looks average, (With the duke charm) just with the name stapled on it... I am probably wrong - Yet - I have a bad feeling about this (Star Wars reference... Oh Yeah!).

So what's your take on Duke Nukem Forever - And afterall - Thats just my opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8FD0lV5M9c

Reach-The-Myth
I wouldn't say they've been building it for 12 years, its running on a heavily modded 12 year old engine if I am right. I think it will be a great game although I wasn't ever hoping for a graphics king/ best shooter ever made. I was hoping for a new story of which Duke is leading a one man defensive assault against a horde of ugly aliens who are discontent with the women of their homeworld.