This topic is locked from further discussion.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

Anyone use a VGA connection on their dreamcast? I never knew they even supported it. Its only because I plugged in my dreamcast at lunch time and was confused by it only have an aerial/rf cable. I thought it used a scart lead as standard. I thought maybe I had the wrong cable.

Erm, anyway. Did a google search and I see that you can get a VGA BOX.

Anyone got one? Does it make much difference? How do you get sound?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

yes the picture is very sharp , much sharper than the rubbish RF cable, and even better than RGB SCART (although the difference isnt near as noticable)

you get sound through a 3.5mm plug cable, usually the VGA cable/box will have a 3.5mm port which you can connect via a cable to your TV (if it has VGA, its almost certain it will have a 3.5mm , as its used for PC speakers

www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Plug-1-2M/dp/B00077DC3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318877365&sr=8-1

this is what you need for sound.

not every game supports it, even more so with PAL games, the list is small , but some games will not work with VGA .

its odd because in some cases like RE Code Veronica and Skies of Arcadia, the PAL version has no VGA support, while the US/JPN versions do

but that shouldn't deter you, since like I said, the list is small.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I have one that I use to hook a spare Dreamcast up into a MAME cabinet's VGA monitor and it works great. I haven't yet encountered a single US title in my collection that doesn't work with it. Here's a compatibility list:

http://www.shinforce.com/dreamcast/VGABoxCompatibility.htm

-Byshop

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Anyone use a VGA connection on their dreamcast? I never knew they even supported it. Its only because I plugged in my dreamcast at lunch time and was confused by it only have an aerial/rf cable. I thought it used a scart lead as standard. I thought maybe I had the wrong cable.

Erm, anyway. Did a google search and I see that you can get a VGA BOX.

Anyone got one? Does it make much difference? How do you get sound?

angryfodder

I went vga many years ago, around 2004 and couldn't believe the graphics. soul calibur on vga looks like something on xbox360 or so.

about compatbity you can easily bypass games not working by switching pc to tv at time after loading the disc. it works on EVERY game except pal versions of skies of arcadia and code veronica because they dont support 60 hz, a**holes

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 angryfodder
Looks like VGA is the way to go then! I hooked up my dreamcast to my monitor and it looked bad through the RF cable. I was even getting some ghosting (this might be a word that I just made up). I've hooked it up to the only CRT tv that I have left and it looks better than the LCD monitor, but now I know about VGA, its gotta be the way to go. The little VGA box seems pretty expensive. Anyone know what I should be paying for one of these?
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bultje112

30$ max I'd say but trust me it's more than worth it, prices have really come up because people now know how big of a deal it is for dreamcast

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007

Looks like VGA is the way to go then! I hooked up my dreamcast to my monitor and it looked bad through the RF cable. I was even getting some ghosting (this might be a word that I just made up). I've hooked it up to the only CRT tv that I have left and it looks better than the LCD monitor, but now I know about VGA, its gotta be the way to go. The little VGA box seems pretty expensive. Anyone know what I should be paying for one of these?angryfodder

I paid £20 for a VGA cable, so expect to pay around that price.

Iwould have posted some pics of the quality of the VGA picture, but my camera has a mind of its own and the picture is terrible (so much for a £70 webcam)

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angryfodder
I did a little more searching online and i've located some pics that show RF, scart and then VGA. There really looks like a big difference, so looks worth while. I wanted to be sure before I shell out money.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="angryfodder"]I did a little more searching online and i've located some pics that show RF, scart and then VGA. There really looks like a big difference, so looks worth while. I wanted to be sure before I shell out money.

SCART isnt a picture quality ,its only the cable, there is composite SCART and RGB SCART, which are very, very different.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 angryfodder
Dunno. This just shoulded screen shots of the same pic using three different cables/connections. First was via the RF lead, second was via a scart cable and the third using a vga adapter box and vga cable.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkman2007
Dunno. This just shoulded screen shots of the same pic using three different cables/connections. First was via the RF lead, second was via a scart cable and the third using a vga adapter box and vga cable.angryfodder
then its not a good comparison , composite SCART isnt really a big improvement over RF, while RGB SCART isnt that far off from VGA (about as big of a differene as between RF and composite)
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angryfodder
VGA is the one for me anyway :)
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bultje112

[QUOTE="angryfodder"]Dunno. This just shoulded screen shots of the same pic using three different cables/connections. First was via the RF lead, second was via a scart cable and the third using a vga adapter box and vga cable.Darkman2007
then its not a good comparison , composite SCART isnt really a big improvement over RF, while RGB SCART isnt that far off from VGA (about as big of a differene as between RF and composite)

thats's not true at all, vga is a huge leap over rgb scart as well.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="angryfodder"]Dunno. This just shoulded screen shots of the same pic using three different cables/connections. First was via the RF lead, second was via a scart cable and the third using a vga adapter box and vga cable.bultje112

thats's not true at all, vga is a huge leap over rgb scart as well.

not that much , its quite a difference that is true, but really I found the leap from from RGB to VGA smaller than between composite and RGB. sadly my Dreamcast RGB cable literally fell apart (it literally fell apart in my hands) so I can't compare directly, but I can remember the change. now of course, since most people outside of Europe especially use only RF or composite (and sadly think they get decent picture out of it) , will see VGA and will be blown away from the quality, that is true.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bultje112

I'm from europe and have only ever had rgb and sometimes vhs like nintendo and vga was the biggest leap. vhs to rgb was like from rf to vhs. vga was truely impressive I can't see how you would think anything else. is there anyone here who has thoughts about this?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

I'm from europe and have only ever had rgb and sometimes vhs like nintendo and vga was the biggest leap. vhs to rgb was like from rf to vhs. vga was truely impressive I can't see how you would think anything else. is there anyone here who has thoughts about this?

bultje112
Im not saying its not impressive, it certainly was, but at the same time the leap from RGB to VGA didn't seem as big as between composite to RGB
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bultje112

I know that's what you are saying and I can't believe you think that or have seen it that way. that's why I wonder what others think of it.