RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I'm not sure what I would need to connect my Dreamcast to my HDMI monitor? Can someone please tell me what I would need and how much it will cost me? Thank You!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=6191&CAWELAID=1329452252&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013720000010975&cadevice=c&gclid=CIbJ_4C6tr0CFa9cMgodf0sAKA

And something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-VIDEO-DISPLAY-DREAMCAST-CONSOLE/dp/B00FXSOA6E

Total cost: $65 although you can probably get either item for a bit cheaper if you shop around.

-Byshop

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Mini composite to HDMI converter/upscaler. costs maybe 20 bucks

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

I'm not sure what I would need to connect my Dreamcast to my HDMI monitor? Can someone please tell me what I would need and how much it will cost me? Thank You!

Are you building a museum or something?

This week alone I've seen you mention the Saturn, the 3DO, and now the Dreamcast.

Also, if you are building a museum, where can I visit it and what are your rates? :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@Flubbbs said:

Mini composite to HDMI converter/upscaler. costs maybe 20 bucks

That'll work but it'll look terrible. The Dreamcast can do native 480p output with a VGA box, which you -really- want to use if you're going to a computer monitor.

-Byshop

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RimacBugatti

@ZZoMBiE13: I'm moving in a few weeks and work isn't what it use to be so until I move I figure lets pull out the old consoles and play some games and kill some time. I have a PS4 but I really miss the Dreamcast games. I just bought a PS2 slim the other day. I've been so frustrated with not making money that I figure I will splurge a little and spend some on games. And I missed the old consoles so I decided to see about picking some of them up. Nothing like playing some old school games. Gaming these days isn't as fun as it use to be.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

@Byshop: I bought the VGA cable to go from the Dreamcast to the box and the HDMI to go from the box to the monitor. Will I notice a difference visually and if so how much different will it be?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

@Byshop: I bought the VGA cable to go from the Dreamcast to the box and the HDMI to go from the box to the monitor. Will I notice a difference visually and if so how much different will it be?

You mean how much difference will there be between composite and VGA going into the monitor? Significant. Almost as much as the difference between SD and early HD (it's basically between 480i and 480p).

-Byshop

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RimacBugatti

@Byshop: I don't know the difference with 480i and 480p. I'm not sure what the i and p stand for. I have never seen a Dreamcast game running HDMI. My box and cable haven't come in the mail yet. I just hope it will be worth the extra $55 that I spent?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
@RimacBugatti said:

@Byshop: I don't know the difference with 480i and 480p. I'm not sure what the i and p stand for. I have never seen a Dreamcast game running HDMI. My box and cable haven't come in the mail yet. I just hope it will be worth the extra $55 that I spent?

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. There's only so much anyone can do to describe the difference between two different picture qualities. 480i (640x480 resolution interlaced) is the quality you used to get out of standard definition TV broadcasts. 480p (640x480 progressive scan or non-interlaced) is the quality level you used to get out of progressive scan DVD players (second generation DVD players). If you would like to see examples, I suggest you google it.

Source image quality aside, composite and s-video were also lower quality signal carriers compared to VGA so there is additional quality loss there. Even 480i over VGA would look better than over composite or s-video.

-Byshop

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@Byshop said:

@RimacBugatti said:

You mean how much difference will there be between composite and VGA going into the monitor? Significant. Almost as much as the difference between SD and early HD (it's basically between 480i and 480p).

-Byshop

you'd also get much better results with an upscaler like Micomsoft's XRGB-3 (easier to use than the mini) or XRGB mini so you can simultaneously output 15khz and 31khz through the same VGA cable (the VGA cable for DC will normally lock out 15khz RGB.

then again, that depends on if you wanna throw down $300 - though it's perfect for upscaling the majority of RGB inputs.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Some-Mist

Oh yea... the xrgb mini framemeister also has an hdmi output... but it's still around 400 dollars. Still one of the best upscalers on the market.

edit: oh yea #2.... Fudoh from the shmups.system11 forums did an insane analysis on his website which is pretty much referenced in retro upscaling game chat constantly among forums. you can find his site here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

and GAF has relevant/valuable information as well

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

@Some-Mist said:

Oh yea... the xrgb mini framemeister also has an hdmi output... but it's still around 400 dollars. Still one of the best upscalers on the market.

edit: oh yea #2.... Fudoh from the shmups.system11 forums did an insane analysis on his website which is pretty much referenced in retro upscaling game chat constantly among forums. you can find his site here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

and GAF has relevant/valuable information as well

The Op's complaining about a $55 price tag, so I doubt he'll want to spend anywhere near that much. Currently I run my Dreamcast over VGA box to a 27" Wells Gardner CRT display so it looks awesome without a scaler, but I'll keep this solution in my back pocket for my 1080p projector.

-Byshop

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Some-Mist

definitely not the cheapest of solutions, but geared for the RGB-philes :)

your solution and other VGA box solutions work fantastically for the price tag.
I think any type of cheap converter (that can be found on amazon - not referring to VGA boxes designed for Dreamcast) with an hdmi out will not provide the desired results. I bought a converter for my saturn to get it to display on one of my CRT monitors, and it was the worst piece of crap I've ever bought.

the Hanzo is a pretty awesome VGA box from what I've read

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator

Hanzo is typically $55 with the Kuro being about $45.

lastly, Fudoh is selling the Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus on his website which is a highly recommended scaler for the DC at a $80 price tag. You can find the same unit on amazon for $200+.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RimacBugatti

@Some-Mist: Thanks a lot! The money wasn't really a huge issue but I don't play my Dreamcast a lot so I didn't want to spend too much. I already spent $4000 on a PC so I'm trying to limit my spending. I appreciate the info. The box I bought turns the Dreamcast signal into HDMI. It's not a VGA monitor only HDMI.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Some-Mist

no prob. what you have will probably do the job well. Anything by micomsoft is a big investment - but totally worth it if you plan on upscaling a handful of retro consoles and not just the dreamcast.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RimacBugatti

@Some-Mist: I will hook up the Dreamcast this week and see if I'm happy with the results. If not I may decide in the future to upgrade. I still may buy a Saturn as well if I can get a new one for a decent price. I would have to upgrade to upgrade that one as well. But I'm more focused on the Dreamcast.