Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Liquid-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Liquid-San
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

So, I've been wanting to gauge the taste of my fellow Gamespotters and while I realize that this thread has been done before, I wish to bring an update to our current standings. I'll start by saying that I personally feel that Dragon Quest is better. While Final Fantasy may be more innovative, I feel Dragon Quest just has that actual role playing feel that helps you actually experience the world and the character a lot more. Granted, Final Fantasy has its exceptions with Final Fantasy VII, (which I hate, but it is a very good game) and Final Fantasy IV, but aside from gameplay it just doesn't match up to Dragon Quest in my opinion, especially since all of its stories have been quite lackluster. Would like to hear other opinions on this. (Square Enix franchise debate so if there is another SQUARE ENIX FRANCHISE you wish to include, select third option.)

Also, some food for thought: I've played Final Fantasy Tactics, III, IV, VII, X, XII, and XIII

Avatar image for TheLastGamer122
TheLastGamer122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 TheLastGamer122
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts
The Last Story would be my number one pick. The game is Hironobu Sakaguchi's best work ever, and is my personal favourite game ever!! :)
Liquid-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Liquid-San

Why do you say that? I've yet to play it, but it did look really interesting.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Like them both for different reasons. FF is different from game to game, they usually have great soundtracks and solid, engaging stories. Dragon Quest is dripping with charm with everything, form the environments to the enemies. It's all quite lighthearted and feel good, although the soundtrack and stories aren't usually as good as FF.  While FF is usually about changing things up, Dragon Quest is about maintaining the old ways, and I respect each series for doing those things.

If I had to choose, I'd give an ever so slight advantage to DQ, simply because Dragon Quest IX is one of my favorite games.  But I'm glad us gamers have access to both series, as they are both amazing :)

But I'd have to say my favorite RPG ever is Xenoblade Chronicles. It is simply a level above everything else I've played in terms of accessibility, fair challenge, soundtrack, story and battle system.  I also dig Radiant Historia for being so damn awesome, too. Plus, the soundtrack for RH is orgasmic, simply put.

As far as the topic series goes, my fav FF I've played is VI (great cast, fun customization, epic story) and for DQ it's DQIX (huge amount of content, great visuals, tons of stuff to collect and do, great consumer friendly free DLC model).

So, in short, I can't really decide :oops:

Liquid-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Liquid-San

This is very interesting. So far, from the comments I've seen on this thread, it seems that while Final Fantasy and/or Dragon Quest is indeed revered, they aren't really the most beloved titles RPG wise. I myself find Persona 4 to be the best JRPG I've ever played with Nocturne behind it, but this is interesting nonetheless. It kind of raises the question as to whether or not Final Fantasy had lost its sparkle during the PS2 era and not in fact, the PS3 gen.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

This is very interesting. So far, from the comments I've seen on this thread, it seems that while Final Fantasy and/or Dragon Quest is indeed revered, they aren't really the most beloved titles RPG wise. I myself find Persona 4 to be the best JRPG I've ever played with Nocturne behind it, but this is interesting nonetheless. It kind of raises the question as to whether or not Final Fantasy had lost its sparkle during the PS2 era and not in fact, the PS3 gen.

Liquid-San

I still think that FF and DQ are great series, but they don't hold my fav RPG games... It's just how it worked out. But I would definitely love to keep them around.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts
I am a Final Fantasy fan. I haven't played all of them (Beat VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII) But I have all of them and will be playing them in due time. Dragon Quest VIII is one of my favorite games but I've never played any of the other titles in the series.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

I am a Final Fantasy fan. I haven't played all of them (Beat VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII) But I have all of them and will be playing them in due time. Dragon Quest VIII is one of my favorite games but I've never played any of the other titles in the series. good_sk8er7

You need to try IX at the very least. It's awesome.

Although I'd also reccomend III or VI since you can see the cool job system they have in place.

Liquid-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Liquid-San

I am a Final Fantasy fan. I haven't played all of them (Beat VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII) But I have all of them and will be playing them in due time. Dragon Quest VIII is one of my favorite games but I've never played any of the other titles in the series. good_sk8er7

You're seriously missing out man, Final Fantasy IX, while not my favorite is definitely one of the best games in the series. It just seems like they got everything right in that game. It's a shame that it doesn't get more love from the FF fanbase. As for the topic on hand, FF is a great series, but their stories as of late haven't been as engrossing as the DQ titles. Granted, the games I did play are remakes, so who knows? Maybe even DQ's stories will start to stale out as they hit number XI and up.