This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I haven’t played the Dragon Age games...

I was wondering if it is worth it.

I don’t see people talk about them as often as The Witcher, TES, Fallout and more recently Dark Souls II.

Considering that Dragon Age Inquisition is coming, should I play through Dragon Age 1&2 or just skip them.?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

DA2 is viewed as a severe misstep from DA:O (DA1). I couldn't even play DA2 all the way thru. EA streamlined it into oblivion.

Fast forward a few years and DA3 gets announced so I figure I might as well play DA1 to see what all the fuss is about (got the ultimate edition). IDK what to say. Bioware does some really good writing with a few very morally grey choices to be made (no clear good/evil choice), but the characters themselves I find just bland for the most part. Maybe it's just me.

There are 3 races and 3 classes you can choose. Pretty much just the fantasy staples on both sets.

1) Warriors get the can equip the best stuff but there pretty much stuck to a WoW auto-attack with some obligatory minor buff/debuff/stuns thrown in.

2) Rogues are slightly more interesting but quite a bit more fragile. They can backstab and unlock treasure chests, etc.

3) Wizards are retardedly overpowered (though not in the beginning). You can even solo the game with a wizard (party of 3 + your character).

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I am in the same position as you. I'm going to play Dragon age 1 before getting DA3. From what I gathered, DA2 should be avoided.

daveversion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 daveversion1
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts

Dragon Age is one of my favourite game series. I think it has been ignored a bit to a certain extent in comparisson to The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, The Witcher etc, but undeservedly so.

I would definitely play at least Dragon Age Origins, but unlike many who did not enjoy DA2, i would also recommened playing it also, admitidly it may not be as good as the first one, but it is still a brilliant game! My words can't really do the games justice for how much i enjoyed playing them. I disagree about what the other person said about the characters, as i found them all very interesting, particuarly in the case of Morrigan and Sten in DAO.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I found Dragon Age: Origins to be fun, but Dragon Age II was mediocre/bad.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Dragon Age Origins is really good, definitely worth a play.

You can skip DA2 since they just shat all over the story that started in DA1. DA2 could have been shorter and sold as a DLC side story or something and it would have made more since.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Dragon Age 2 was a factory line soul-less product. I'm not even going to bother with the 3rd one (mostly due to my boycott of EA, but also because of simplification of game mechanics and difficulty).

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Don't play 2,it's garbage

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

Dragon Age Origins is an amazing RPG. One of the best stories with great characters and dialogue. Dragon Age 2 improved on the combat, and while the story wasn't an epic tale like D:O was, it was decent, and it also had some great characters.

Don't pay attention to the hate, play both of them. They're both great games. Some people hate on it just cuz it's the cool thing to do now.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've played Dragon Age: Origins and I really liked it. It deserves its place as one of my favorite RPGs(along with Elder Scrolls, Witcher etc). I would hugely recomment playing it especially since Inquisition is coming out, as a great way to initiate yourself in the Dragon Age world.

I didn't play DA:2 and since I heard that it was lacking what made Origins such a great game, I decided to skip it(thought of trying it out but I'm kinda short on time so...).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Dragon Age 1 was a pretty terrible excuse for a DnD-esque party-based RPG. There were far too inexcusably terrible dungeons in that game, the setting was as bland as the art style, and it was the only Bioware game that I really had to force myself to keep playing.

I'd suggest that you just play one of the classics, like Baldurs Gate 2.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Origins is probably one of my favorite games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I think that if DA2 had been released on its own it would have been one of those "decent, even though not-great" games you buy while you're waiting for the good launches but since the first DA was, in my opinion, great, just made the second one seem pretty crappy. The running around the same 4 extremely small maps didn't help either...felt like a DLC...

I would still advise you to play at least the first one though =)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

Dragon Age Origins is really good, definitely worth a play.

You can skip DA2 since they just shat all over the story that started in DA1. DA2 could have been shorter and sold as a DLC side story or something and it would have made more since.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Dragon Age 1 was a pretty terrible excuse for a DnD-esque party-based RPG. There were far too inexcusably terrible dungeons in that game, the setting was as bland as the art style, and it was the only Bioware game that I really had to force myself to keep playing.

I'd suggest that you just play one of the classics, like Baldurs Gate 2.

Simplified/MMO mechanics, shitty monster variety.. (If I have to fight anymore darkspawn...)

Yea, DAO was a pretty big let down/tease, when compared to older d&d style party based RPGs of the past, that's for sure. But since not many AAA/modern rpgs have party control, pausing during combat, to make it more tactical/issue orders..It didn't really have any competition. When ppl are out in the desert dying of thrust, they'll take any drink they can get.

2, I never even played thankfully, after somewhat paying attention during it's development.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Dragon Age Origins is HOT Dragon Age 2 is not

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#19  Edited By VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@acp_45 said:

I don’t see people talk about them as often as The Witcher, TES, Fallout and more recently Dark Souls II.

Considering that Dragon Age Inquisition is coming, should I play through Dragon Age 1&2 or just skip them.?

I think it is definitely worth it, including DA2 which I am about playing & enjoying (!) on PC right now. Moreover, Origin Store does offer both games quite cheap nowadays.

Of the four DA2 DLCs I recommend above all the last one, Mark of the Assassin, which alone offers quite a lot of fun stuff (stealth, puzzles, party conversations...).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@acp_45 said:

I think the games are awesome, and as you can see in my signature, i am playing it again

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VintAge68

@blamix99 said:

I really don't agree with you here: I like DA2's combat system far more than that of DAO and I definitely coincide with Kevin-V's 8/10 score, cf. Dragon Age II:

• Player choice manifests itself in interesting ways
  • Spectacular writing and voice acting bring each character to life
  • Fascinating world characterized by moral ambiguity
  • Combat is fun, fast-paced, and colorful
  • Great symphonic soundtrack

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The first Dragon Age is Bioware stander broken and pieced story telling while the second try something different.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

@acp_45 said:

Highly recommend playing both games even though they play like two different companies designed it. The key factor is over-arching story which comes more into fruition in Dragon Age 2 than in Origins (however Dragon Age: Origins had the better narrative). If you like simplified fast paced gameplay DA2 might be for you but if you prefer tactical combat similar to KOTOR DA:O is definitely the preferred option. Both games however come with an incredibly atmospheric world and I enjoyed both more for the story and impact I was able to have in the games than just their individual gameplay styles.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blamix99

@VintAge68 said:

@blamix99 said:

I really don't agree with you here: I like DA2's combat system far more than that of DAO and I definitely coincide with Kevin-V's 8/10 score, cf. Dragon Age II:

Dragon Age 2 is boring, Dragon Age Origins is really great, lots of challening quest DA2 is so easy even in hard mode. the only good thing in DA2 is their new skills that's why DA2 is a flop

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blamix99

@VintAge68 said:

@blamix99 said:

Dragon Age 2 is boring, Dragon Age Origins is really great, lots of challening quest DA2 is so easy even in hard mode. the only good thing in DA2 is their new skills that's why DA2 is a flop

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@acp_45 said:

I think the games are awesome, and as you can see in my signature, i am playing it again

You have been found guilty on 1 account of neglecting backlog.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VintAge68

@blamix99 said:

@VintAge68 said:

... the only good thing in DA2 is their new skills that's why DA2 is a flop

Sounds not very conclusive to me, to be honest...

ChimeraOfEbony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ChimeraOfEbony
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I think whether you like Dragon Age depends on your playstyle. IMO Dragon Age will become a favorite game for people enjoying the interaction between characters and how their actions affect the story, as the combat system isn't that interesting - as has been said, the warrior doesn't require much interaction. I personally loved DA:O - I spent I don't know how long on talking with the NPCs and doing sidequests to get certain objects for each of my companions.

DA2 has a better combat system, but the level design is ridicilously simple - no matter what cave you walk into, it is the same cave, but where some doors have been blocked and others have not. However, I found the game to be a valuable experience as a story with interesting characters and where choices seemed less black-and-white than in DA:O.

I personally think both DA games are worth the play through (DA:O is definitely the better one), but I have met players who said that they couldn't handle all the talking. My guess is that if you are into Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and heavy story games, you will like them.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#29 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@acp_45 said:

You have been found guilty on 1 account of neglecting backlog.

LOL! Guilty as charged :P

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Seems like most of what I was planning to say has already been said. I will however say that even though DA:2 is bad compared to the first, you should still play it and possibly enrich the experience of Inquisition. There are events taking place in DA:2 that are bound to color the third game that help explain why the Inquisition was called for,you could alternatively/in addition read the books by David Gaider.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

The interaction/dialogs between characters and such wasn't bad, but the whole mages vs templars overarching plot, was boring as hell.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

good series. dao was amazing. 2 was okay.