Dr Doak (Goldeneye ref) Wants Timesplitters 4 and Second Sight on (Wii)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

GInformer

A portion of a Game Informer interview with Free Radical creative director David Doak...

GI: Are you thinking about putting TimeSplitters on the Wii, as well? What do you think about making a first-person shooter for the Wii?

Doak: I think it's a good thing to do, and I think we want to put it on the Wii. And I'm sure it's possible to do a control scheme that works. Also, if you want to start a petition for remaking Second Sight on the Wii, I'd like to see that as well, because I think that game worked really well, [laughs] because of the manipulation stuff.

GI: It probably would. It's been tried though, and some first-person shooters have turned out better than others on the Wii. How can someone make a good one? I don't know if you've played Metroid yet, but it works.

Doak: I'm waiting. Metroid is on my list. Although they obviously make the circle-strafe lock-on compromise. It's really funny. When I played Prime and Echoes, I would start playing it, and for the first 15 minutes I would say, "I hate this! I ___ hate this lock-on bit!" but then it goes away. You play, you enjoy it and you forget about it. And then maybe you leave it alone for a couple of days and it's back.

GI: Yeah, but it's the platforming in it, too.

Doak: The platforming is good. And also I think the thing is that the pace of the game and the enemy behavior is tuned to the control scheme. I think that's the mistake you can make. You can say, "Let's make it play just the same as the other ones." But you've got to look to the timings of things and stuff, because there's always going to be some imprecision. You've got to be focused on it. You don't do a port. And I think with the Wii controller, one of the things that goes wrong is that you see the over ambition in its use. If the gestural stuff is becoming ambiguous or noisy, you're fighting a losing battle. If that feature is causing you pain, then don't do it. It's better to make a game that's enjoyable to play than a game that's got features that don't work.

There's also a Haze interview attachedto that article somewhere :P

BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#2 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
Cool, I've enjoyed the second and third Timesplitters games, though never played the first. So I'd be happy to see this new one be playable on the Wii since that's the only console I have a general interest in.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Timesplitters is one of my favorite FPS series. I'd love for them to make a TS game for the Wii with a functional control scheme and online.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gaminggeek

Pointless story here, I saw David Doak in Heathrow airport, but I didn't recognise him at first.

Still looked like a hippie :P

Anyhow the multiplayer mode on TS4 online on Wii could be pretty special with the controls. MOH2 heroes has 32 player online at 60 FPS so imagine TS4 doing that?

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts
I would really like to see another Second Sight game, the first one had its flaws, but to me it was something of a diamond in the rough
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Timesplitters on Wii = BALLING.
salamancecool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 salamancecool
Member since 2004 • 963 Posts
No one should EVER use yellow font on these fourms EVER! Also TS4 would kick ass!
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
No one should EVER use yellow font on these fourms EVER! Also TS4 would kick ass!salamancecool
...You're not using one of the white themes, are you? :shock:
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Second Sight was totally and completely outclassed by Psi-Ops.

Now that's a game that deserves a sequel.

Avatar image for HellsingSoldier
HellsingSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HellsingSoldier
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts
The Wii needs first person shooters, the system could be perfect for it, it could only mean good things, now that I think about it, it could also go horribly wrong.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
My biggest complaint about TimeSplitters 2 were the touchy controls. The Wiimote would force them to address the issue. I never played Future Perfect, though.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
hey aslong as it (TimeSplitters 4)comes to PS3/360 im a happy man, i love the series so much and think all systems should have the game,they arethe greatest FPS ever, no others even comes close
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

If Unreal Tournament 3 releases this year and buries Haze (which looks like a more conceptually interesting game, though I don't know how the engine/weapons/game design stacks up) then logically Free Radical would have nowhere to go but the Wii.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gaminggeek

Grammaton-Cleric

I agree, I expected Second sight to match that game, but it didn't come close. It was still good on its own terms and I would have enjoyed it more if they only let me INVERT THE FREAKING CAMERA CONTROLS. :evil:

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

If Unreal Tournament 3 releases this year and buries Haze (which looks like a more conceptually interesting game, though I don't know how the engine/weapons/game design stacks up) then logically Free Radical would have nowhere to go but the Wii.

CarnageHeart

Are you inferring that UT > TS? These are two of my favorite franchises, but I'd have to say after spending hundreds of hours on both that (imo) Timesplitters has more to offer. I think it's the mapmaker that allows you to build strategy into matches that throws TS over the top. UT (although great) is more of a twitch game that plays like a shooter - fighter hybrid.

As for TS on Wii ... I think that will be the definitive test of the wiimote. If it adds nothing toTimesplitters (speed or precision wise), then I will consider it a failure. I'm not sure what the TS franchise would stand to gain from the 360's power, but I guess it would be interesting to find out.

(btw: I think Haze will bury itself ...being ps3 exclusive.)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

ymi_basic

Are you inferring that UT > TS? These are two of my favorite franchises, but I'd have to say after spending hundreds of hours on both that (imo) Timesplitters has more to offer. I think it's the mapmaker that allows you to build strategy into matches that throws TS over the top. UT (although great) is more of a twitch game that plays like a shooter - fighter hybrid.

As for TS on Wii ... I think that will be the definitive test of the wiimote. If it adds nothing toTimesplitters (speed or precision wise), then I will consider it a failure. I'm not sure what the TS franchise would stand to gain from the 360's power, but I guess it would be interesting to find out.

No, I'm not. I'm saying that if gamers swarm towards UT and avoid Haze (which isn't a TS game, BTW) than the Wii seems like the only place for Free Radical to go since the fps competition is going to get more intense on the PS3 and the competition in that genre on the X360 is even higher.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Grammaton-Cleric

Indeed, I enjoyedPSi Opsmore than MGS myself. TS4 on Wii sounds intriguing, as long as we're still getting versions on other consoles. I'd really like to see the game run with next-gen effects on.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
[QUOTE="ymi_basic"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

No, I'm not. I'm saying that if gamers swarm towards UT and avoid Haze (which isn't a TS game, BTW) than the Wii seems like the only place for Free Radical to go since the fps competition is going to get more intense on the PS3 and the competition in that genre on the X360 is even higher.

Ah, I see. I guess I figure that making TS4 a PS3 exclusive would be suicidal for free-rad just based on user base. You're right though, they'll learn from Haze what's possible there and they know from their experience with TS2 and TS3 on the xbox that TS4 could get lost on X360. The Wii does seem like the natural place with minimal competition.