Double dipping: how often do you do it and what games have you done it for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Just curious as to how many of you buy the same game for multiple systems

Been doing it a bit more often than I ever did, but being said, I don't plan on doing it that much.

Here's some of where I've Double Dipped:

Urbz: Sims in the City for GameCube and DS- Same name, different games. I thought both were fun though

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai for GameCube (NTSC North American) and PS2 (PAL UK)- Haven't played the latter yet, but in pictures and video, I'll admit the GameCube version does look better (there is a reason DBZ games following it used cel-shading after all). Being said, the PAL version on both consoles have Japanese audio, while the NA version doesn't for some reason. PAL versions also have better boxarts.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for N64 and GameCube (via Zelda: Collector's Edition, which I got in an EU only bundle with Mario Kart: Double Dash)- The original carts are superior, but despite the CE's flaws, especially on Majora's Mask (where it has occasional freezing issues, but it's nowhere near the level of bad of Sonic Genesis on GBA), the games are still playable on GameCube as well.

The Sims 2: Pets for GameCube and PS2- Again, haven't played the latter yet.

What games have you done it for?

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

Just curious as to how many of you buy the same game for multiple systems

Been doing it a bit more often than I ever did, but being said, I don't plan on doing it that much.

Here's some of where I've Double Dipped:

Urbz: Sims in the City for GameCube and DS- Same name, different games. I thought both were fun though

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai for GameCube (NTSC North American) and PS2 (PAL UK)- Haven't played the latter yet, but in pictures and video, I'll admit the GameCube version does look better (there is a reason DBZ games following it used cel-shading after all). Being said, the PAL version on both consoles have Japanese audio, while the NA version doesn't for some reason. PAL versions also have better boxarts.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for N64 and GameCube (via Zelda: Collector's Edition, which I got in an EU only bundle with Mario Kart: Double Dash)- The original carts are superior, but despite the CE's flaws, especially on Majora's Mask (where it has occasional freezing issues, but it's nowhere near the level of bad of Sonic Genesis on GBA), the games are still playable on GameCube as well.

The Sims 2: Pets for GameCube and PS2- Again, haven't played the latter yet.

What games have you done it for?

nintendoboy16
I buy a console version and a handheld ver. of a game since they're usually different
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

I bought GTA Vice City for PS2, Xbox (in the double pack) and later for PC.

I bought GTA San Andreas for PS2 and later for PC.

I bought GTA IV and the Episodes for Xbox 360 and later for PC.

I bought Marvel vs Capcom 2 for Sega Dreamcast and later from Xbox Live Arcade.

I bought Twisted Metal 2 originally for PlayStation, and later from PSN for PSP/PS3.

I bought Twisted Metal Black for PS2 when it was new, then got the Greatest Hits version, later the Greatest Hits version that included Black: Online, and finally redeemed the coupon to get it from PSN for my PS3.

I bought Twisted Metal: Head-On at launch for PSP, and got the "Extra Twsted Edition" for PS2.

Edit: 

I bought Halo and Halo 2 both for Xbox, and at later times I got them for PC. 

I bought Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB Director's Cut for PC, and later got it when it was included with Assault on Dark Athena.

Lastly, I bought each "Unreal" game - Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal II and UT2004 individually and later got the 'complete package' with my copy of Unreal Tournament 3.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
That's not really double dipping. Double dipping is getting all versions of Splinter cell or Beyond good and Evil on every system or at least 2.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I got

• Resident Evil - Saturn/DS/Gamecube
  • Resident Evil 2 - PC/Dreamcast/Gamecube
  • Resident Evil 3 - Dreamcast/Gamecube
  • Code Veronica - Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube
  • Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube/Wii/PC
  • Resident Evil 5 - 360/PC

I have many more games on multiple systems :P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I guess you could say I've done it with OoT and MM.  Although it was more out of sake of convenience since the N64 we had stopped working right.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
  • GTA San Andreas - PS2/PSN
  • Battlefield 3 - PC/PS3
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

I did it by accident.... Wanted Bullet Storm for the PC and accidently bought it for the PS3 on Amazon (didn't notice the buttons on the botom for selecting PS3/Xbox/PC. Lucky for me the default was the PS3 otherwise I'd would have recieved the Xbox360 verison which of, I don't own.) Then a few days later Steam had it on sale for about 7 bucks and I ended up buying it there and completing it on the PC.

I have an extra copy of Shadow Heats, because it came with Shadow Hearts Covenent as a preorder special. Only difference between the two is that the pre-order special version has a "not for resale" text on the cover.

I bought an  used copy of Way of the Samurai, because it was only a buck.... Had bought it about 7 years earlier for about 20 bucks.

Have an extra copy of Persona for the PSP, because it took too long to get to my house, and I reported it a non-delvered (was 2 weeks after the expected delevery time). They ended up sending me a new copy with free 2 day shipping, and few days after getting the new copy I got the orginal one that was thought to be lost by USPS. I was willing to send it back, but.... they never sent me a way of doing it with free shipping. And I didn't think it was fair for me to cover the cost of sending it back, when it wasn't my fault it was nearly, 3 weeks late and was considered lost. Oh. And I had pre-ordered it as well....

Let's see... I bought the ICO/Shadow of the Collosus collection edition when I've already owned both on the PS2.

Same for Devil May Cry Collection.

Have Devil May Cry 3 both standard edition and the Special Edition on the PS2. Techically the same game, but not really. Same can be said for Metal Gear Solid 3 and Subsistance.

Speaking of MGS, I bought the PS3 Collecion edition, when the only one I didn't own was Peace Walker.

Bought Persona 3, then Persona 3 Fes, and later Persona 3 PSP.... Funny story about Persona 3 and Persona 3 Fes. I pre orderd both from a local EBgames. So I paid full price for Persona 3 and pre-ordered. I picked it up and everything was fine. Then Fes was announced and I pre-orded it. I went to pick it up, and they accedently ring up the old one. Their computer shows that I paid full price, but never picked it up. So... they give me my money back for Persona 3, and credit it to Persona 3 Fes. And they do that even after I tell them that I had picked up Persona 3.  Also, know that Persona 3 was 50 bucks when it was first released, and Persona 3 Fes was 30 bucks during initial release. So... they not only ended up given me Persona 3 Fes for Free, they gave me around 20 bucks, too....

Have the disk version of Odin Sphere and the PSN version.... PSN version doesn't have the slowdown during Boss battles that the orginal PS2 version had.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#9 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

The ones I can remember are:

1. Dead to Rights (PS2/PC)
2. Dead to Rights II (PS2/PC)
3. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PS2/PSP)
4. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PC/PS1/PSOne Classics)
5. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (PS2/PC)
6. Tomb Raider: Legend (PS2/PSP)
7. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PS2/PSP)
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (PS2/PC)
9. Resident Evil 4 (PS2/PC)
10. Resident Evil 2 (PS1/PC/PSOne Classics)
11. Resident Evil (PS1/PC/DS)
12. Resident Evil 3 (PS1/PC)
13. Metal Gear Solid (PS1/PSOne Classics/PC)
14. Dink Smallwood (PC/iOS)
15. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2/PSP)
16. Guilty Gear XX (PC/PSP)

Usually I do it if there are exclusive features to the different versions (like the PSP version of Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror has online multiplayer) a game stops working/breaks on one system and I can find the other version for cheaper, or if I think the controls on the other version would be better (which is the case for most of the PC games listed above, because I don't have a PC gamepad), or heck, in the case of most of the games listed above, because I love them too much.

Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
You are missing a Dead to Rights there, did not play it?
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#11 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
You are missing a Dead to Rights there, did not play it?Dr-Gentlemen
Dead to Rights: Retribution? I haven't played it yet, sadly, though it's one of my favourite series. yeah, I know I'm pretty alone on that :P I've played Reckoning (to be honest it's the reason I wanted a PSP), sadly it's not very good compared to the other games.
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"] Dead to Rights: Retribution? I haven't played it yet,.

What????? Get to it.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

I've bought a couple of HD remakes. Steam sales have also lead to some double dipping of great games.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

That's not really double dipping. Double dipping is getting all versions of Splinter cell or Beyond good and Evil on every system or at least 2.Yo-SUP

What is with you and trying to start arguments by splitting hairs on semantics? Double dipping is a figure of speech for crying out loud. There is no literal dipping going on of any sort.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

as part of my now embarrassing ( looking back ) phase of obsessing about gamerscore I rebought several games I had owned on the PS3 just to get the easy achievements, and in a couple of cases complete to 100%. The list includes but is not limited to:

Ashes Cricket 2009

International Cricket 2010

NFS Shift

DiRT 2

DiRT 3

NFS Shift 2

NFS Hot Pursuit

Madagascar Karts ( *ahem blushes slightly )

Fuel

MotoGP 09/10

MotoGP 10/11

SBK X

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"]That's not really double dipping. Double dipping is getting all versions of Splinter cell or Beyond good and Evil on every system or at least 2.Emerald_Warrior

What is with you and trying to start arguments by splitting hairs on semantics? Double dipping is a figure of speech for crying out loud. There is no literal dipping going on of any sort.

You need to calm down and read what I said. Actually, i think you literally only responded because I posted. Double-Dipping in the meaning the TC is using does not apply to Buying OoT on a N64 and then buying a enhanced version with some changes and different controls, and then buying the 3DS remake. Double Dipping would be, as other people already posted, buying the same game on another system. This is not a big deal.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I own a lot of versions of Sonic 1, that's for sure. Genesis version, Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Classic Collection, SEGA Smash Pack, SEGA Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Game Gear version and Master System version (the 8 bit Sonic 1 is its own game). I also have a ton of versions of Donkey Kong... 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, 7800, NES, etc.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"]That's not really double dipping. Double dipping is getting all versions of Splinter cell or Beyond good and Evil on every system or at least 2.Yo-SUP

You need to calm down and read what I said. Actually, i think you literally only responded because I posted. Double-Dipping in the meaning the TC is using does not apply to Buying OoT on a N64 and then buying a enhanced version with some changes and different controls, and then buying the 3DS remake. Double Dipping would be, as other people already posted, buying the same game on another system. This is not a big deal.

But they are the same damn games, no matter how many improvements there are.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

nintendoboy16

But they are the same damn games, no matter how many improvements there are.

So i guess that Duck Tales and Duck Tales remastered are the same game to. OoT and OoT 3d? Same games. Sonic the hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog? same games. Do no they aren't, there is a difference when X is released on all systems, say UMK3, and then Comparing a rameka the original and say its the same game. Everybody else listed it that way, so i have no idea why I am being implied to be the lone factor here. The post above you makes sense. Sonic the hedgehog despite what collection it's in (if he brought those to play it that is.) is still the same game, double dipping.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I have some doubles for games like Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast because of Steam, but the multiple copies that I have the easiest time keeping track of are mainly for Sonic and Streets of Rage.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (2 - PC/360)

Sonic & Knuckles (2 - Genesis/360)

Sonic Adventure (2 - PC/DC)

Sonic Adventure 2/Battle (3 - PC/DC/GCN)

Sonic CD (4 - original PC ver./PC/SEGA CD/360)

Sonic Generations (2 - PC/360)

Sonic 1 (2 - Gen/360)

Sonic 2 (3- Gen/PC/360)

Sonic 3 (2 - Gen/360)

Streets of Rage 1 (2 - Gen/360)

Streets of Rage 2 (5 - (3)Gen/(2)360)

Streets of Rage 3 (2 - Gen/360)

Then I have the Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection, and three PC Genesis packs on top of those, which adds even more copies of Sonic and Streets of Rage plus multiple copies for a lot of my other Genesis games too.

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

Resident Evil 4 - bought the PS2 version years ago and completed it, recently picked up the Wii version to see how it plays with waggle controls.

Final Fantasy VIII - disc 1 of my Playstation version has issues getting past the opening FMV no matter what system I play it in, so when there was a Final Fantasy sale on the PSN last year I bought a digital version.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

In the case of the racing games and FPS's, they're always better on PC. Not sure why i have multiples for the others. PC + PS2:

NFS: Most Wanted

NFS: Carbon

NFS: Prostreet

Colin McRae Rally 2005

Manhunt

Max Payne 1+2

Red Faction 1+2

No One Lives Forever

The Thing

PC + PS2 + Mobile:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

PC + Mobile:

Bejeweled 3

I also have a few versions of the same games on PC:

Unreal 1 = Budget "Replay" big-box release, Unreal Gold, Unreal Anthology

Unreal Tournament 99 = Original first release big box, Unreal Gold GOTY set, Unreal Anthology

Black & White 1 = Two identical retail versions (just in case!).

I don't really do it nowadays, unless it's a mobile version. Like i recently got hold of 'Gauntlet' which is almost identical to the Amstrad version i played back in the day.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Zelda Lttp on both GBA and SNES
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

This is not a big deal.Yo-SUP

...says the guy that made a deal out of it.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I had forgotten a few in my last post. I didn't realize how many games I bought more than once. FEAR original release - again later in a bundle on Steam God of War 1, 2 and 3 original releases - later got the Saga collection for PS3. Max Payne 1 and 2 originals - later I got them on Steam Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 originals years ago - then recently bought the whole TR bundle on Steam. I got Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360 (and copies for my nephew and a brother-in-law), and I also got it for PC through Origin.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#26 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 - PAL) - Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 - ***) Tomb Raider Legend (PS2) - Tomb Raider Legend (PSP) Syberia & Syberia 2 (PC) - Syberia & Syberia 2 (XBOX)
CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#27 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
Bastion (360/PC) Witcher 2 (360/PC) Dead Space 3 (360/PC) Saints 3 (360/PC) CS:GO (360/PC) I'm sure there is a bunch more. Just the ones I can think of for now.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I've bought Resident Evil 4 on every system it's been released for (except the PC, but from what I understand I'm not missing much).

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Black Ops 2 and Battlefield 3. I wanted the mutliplayer experience on both PC and Xbox 360, both of which are unique.