Donkey Kong Country VS Sonic and Knuckles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tony-Baxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Tony-Baxter
Member since 2003 • 6498 Posts
I think sonic and knuckles was the beginning of the end for Sega cause donkey kong country played, looked, and sold better. Pretend its late 1994 again but you have both consoles.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

neither , Im not a fan of either.

for me , Sonic & Knuckles was really when things started going downhill for Sonic, and in my opnion , Donkey Kong Country didn't play all that well , and its even that great looking (just some pre renderd sprites and a fairly simple background, I always liked traditional 2D over the pre renderd stuff)

If I had to pick it would have to be Sonic & Knuckles, but thats really choosing between 2 evils.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Sonic & Knuckles. I like Donkey Kong Country, but Sonic's faster and Knuckles can glide and climb stuff..

Also, the add-on feature was cool. I remember playing Sonic 2 with Knuckles.

Tony-Baxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tony-Baxter
Member since 2003 • 6498 Posts

neither , Im not a fan of either.

for me , Sonic & Knuckles was really when things started going downhill for Sonic, and in my opnion , Donkey Kong Country didn't play all that well , and its even that great looking (just some pre renderd sprites and a fairly simple background, I always liked traditional 2D over the pre renderd stuff)

If I had to pick it would have to be Sonic & Knuckles, but thats really choosing between 2 evils.

Darkman2007
Youre right about Sonic going downhill.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#5 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I didn't really like Sonic and Knuckles. I didn't think it was as good as its predacessors.

so I guess DKC

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I love both games. They're both 2 of the best 2D platformers ever made.

pataponplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pataponplayer
Member since 2009 • 1410 Posts

Donkey Kong Country. Not really a fan of any Sonic game at ALL, the first 2 games seemed the same to me and the 3rd was all right. But overall I had so much fun playing DKC.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Definitly Sonic and Knuckles. I'm just not a fan of Donkey Kong Country at all.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Sonic & Knuckles on it's own kinda blows. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic 3 locked on with Sonic & Knuckles) on the other hand is one of the greatest platformers of all time. That being said, Donkey Kong Country is still pretty good, just not as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles :P
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

DKC.

Sonic and Knuckles was imo the worst classic Sonic game (not counting Sonic 3D Blast).

pataponplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pataponplayer
Member since 2009 • 1410 Posts

DKC.

Sonic and Knuckles was imo the worst classic Sonic game (not counting Sonic 3D Blast).

nameless12345
Hahaha.. Sonic 3D Blast, you have to admit that was freakin terrible.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Both were very good but I think I'll go with Donkey Kong Country,
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

i choose sonic spinball.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

DKC.

pataponplayer

Indeed but I'm not sure if it's really the worst Sonic game out there :P

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Sonic and Knuckles mainly because if you added Sonic 3 (Sonic 3 and Knuckles) it was the best Sonic game and arguably the best platformer of that era. I like DKC but not as much as Sonic 3&K.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
DKC was great!
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Donkey Kong country for me. I never liked the original Sonic 2D games, I didn't find them enjoyable at all.
AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
both :D Donkey Kong Country was awesome, and it had so many levels and bonuses too XD as for Sonic & Knuckles, I like it for the lock on feature :) Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the win :D
metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

Sonic 3 + Knuckles > DKC

DKC > Sonic and Knuckles

/thread.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

vote for Sonic & Knuckles even if it's not the best sonic of the bunch

Donkey kong country is a mediocre game where its high points are graphics, control is tedious and the rocketlaunch stages are disgusting

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="pataponplayer"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

DKC.

nameless12345

its more of a dissapointing game then anything, it looks bad, it contols bad, and it gets boring easily. and yes, it did look bad, it looked good for the Mega Drive, but the Saturn version is bad looking.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="pataponplayer"] Hahaha.. Sonic 3D Blast, you have to admit that was freakin terrible.Darkman2007

its more of a dissapointing game then anything, it looks bad, it contols bad, and it gets boring easily. and yes, it did look bad, it looked good for the Mega Drive, but the Saturn version is bad looking.

I think it's still fun, though. No doubt Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles are better games, and the cream of the crop when it comes to Sonic games. So the disappointment factor when Sonic 3D came out right after them is understandable. But it's still fun, just not as fun as those other Sonic games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

I think it's still fun, though. No doubt Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles are better games, and the cream of the crop when it comes to Sonic games. So the disappointment factor when Sonic 3D came out right after them is understandable. But it's still fun, just not as fun as those other Sonic games.

its not a terrible game , its just that I personally don't find it to be that great. what I would have liked is either 1) a 3D Sonic game made using the same engine as Sonic Jam 2) a 2D Saturn game built up for the Saturn , rather then ported over heck even the 32X got its own Sonic platformer (which doesnt have Sonic in it, but still)
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I think sonic and knuckles was the beginning of the end for Sega cause donkey kong country played, looked, and sold better. Pretend its late 1994 again but you have both consoles.Tony-Baxter

DKC is one of the best platformers ever made. The game really pushed a lot of areas to the next level. Great graphics, great control, great music, and a really good difficulty curve. The snow levels are some of the best sidescrolling levels of all time.

Sonic and Knuckles is crap. That series went down hill after Sonic 2, and I love sonic.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
That series went down hill after Sonic 2, and I love sonicHeirren
I personally thought Sonic 3 was the highlight of the series, with Sonic CD being the best of the 2d series overall.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Tony-Baxter"]I think sonic and knuckles was the beginning of the end for Sega cause donkey kong country played, looked, and sold better. Pretend its late 1994 again but you have both consoles.Heirren

DKC is one of the best platformers ever made. The game really pushed a lot of areas to the next level. Great graphics, great control, great music, and a really good difficulty curve. The snow levels are some of the best sidescrolling levels of all time.

Sonic and Knuckles is crap. That series went down hill after Sonic 2, and I love sonic.

Ill agree on the music part, though I have to say I felt the controls in DKC were sloppy,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]That series went down hill after Sonic 2, and I love sonicDavidianMH
I personally thought Sonic 3 was the highlight of the series, with Sonic CD being the best of the 2d series overall.

It just didn't feel like Sonic to me. Everything from the visuals to the pace of the game. I think part of my problem was that I felt sega tried to push the system to hard--too much stuff going on that affected gameplay imo. I can't stand when this happens, either. I feel the same way in regards to DKC64/Banjo. Sonic 3 just didn't have the flash of the first 2--the music felt hammed, as well.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#28 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

On its own DKC beats Sonic and Knuckles but against Sonic 3 and Knuckles it destroys it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Tony-Baxter"]I think sonic and knuckles was the beginning of the end for Sega cause donkey kong country played, looked, and sold better. Pretend its late 1994 again but you have both consoles.Darkman2007

Ill agree on the music part, though I have to say I felt the controls in DKC were sloppy,

We'll have to agree to disagree. The controls were very responsive to me. A lot of the later levels require minute timing and rhythm--never once did I blame the controls back in the day, or if I did it was myself being biased towards my inability to do something right.

I do enjoy your fondness and comments about older games, btw.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

We'll have to agree to disagree. The controls were very responsive to me. A lot of the later levels require minute timing and rhythm--never once did I blame the controls back in the day, or if I did it was myself being biased towards my inability to do something right.

[ I don't know what you mean, what comments? DKC is certainly not a bad game, its good, I just never personally never understood why people said it was so amazing. the music was great and made good use of the SNES sound chip , and it even has some decent level design , what I never liked were the controls and the graphics (Im not a huge fan of pre renderd games, they look choppy to me)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Ill agree on the music part, though I have to say I felt the controls in DKC were sloppy, Darkman2007

[ I don't know what you mean, what comments? DKC is certainly not a bad game, its good, I just never personally never understood why people said it was so amazing. the music was great and made good use of the SNES sound chip , and it even has some decent level design , what I never liked were the controls and the graphics (Im not a huge fan of pre renderd games, they look choppy to me)

I suppose I should say you are one of the more regular "legacy" posters.:)

I can't argue with you about the controls, but the graphics? Are you nuts! DKC has some of the absolute smoooooooooooooooothest visuals of any snes game ever released. People were so impressed at the time, when the game was first shown, that they couldn't believe it was running on an snes. They rivaled a lot of psx games as well.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"] We'll have to agree to disagree. The controls were very responsive to me. A lot of the later levels require minute timing and rhythm--never once did I blame the controls back in the day, or if I did it was myself being biased towards my inability to do something right.

Heirren

I suppose I should say you are one of the more regular "legacy" posters.:)

I can't argue with you about the controls, but the graphics? Are you nuts! DKC has some of the absolute smoooooooooooooooothest visuals of any snes game ever released. People were so impressed at the time, when the game was first shown, that they couldn't believe it was running on an snes. They rivaled a lot of psx games as well.

no Im serious , I really disliked the visuals in most pre renderd games, same goes for Vectorman , they look choppy out of place to me compared to normal 2D and normal 3D.

then again , Im the guy who thinks Saturn visuals are just fine when alot seem to disagree (even if most of them know very few games besdies daytona), so there you go.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#33 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was by far the best Sonic game.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
DKC. Sonic & Knuckles felt like reject levels from Sonic 3 and it was the first time I felt that a Sonic platformer was worse than the previous one.
Xtatic324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xtatic324
Member since 2003 • 1340 Posts

Can't believe people are knocking on these two great games. I'ma have to go with Donkey Kong Country. Loved the graphics and gameplay. But I am a big fan of Sonic and Knuckles.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#36 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Both were very good but I think I'll go with Donkey Kong Country,Eikichi-Onizuka

I agree. Donkey Kong Country is simply amazing in my opinion!:)

Big_Daddv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Big_Daddv
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Sonic and Knuckles all the way. I never really cared for Donkey Kong Country, though it did provide some fun, especially on the mine cart level.