Does the GBA have.is capable of having better sound than the SNES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
I always here the GBA is more powerful except sound and color count. Any of this true or?
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I don't know how good it can potentially be (as in specs); but when comparing GBA ports to their SNES counterparts, I've always felt the SNES versions have better music. But at the same time, the GBA ports often have added sound-effects that the SNES version doesn't have. But since the music is more important to me, personally, I'd say I enjoy the sound on the SNES more.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#3 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

with that puny speaker? no!

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts

mariokart64fan
What does size have to do with anything at all?
TheSkyPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TheSkyPirate
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Dj-Dampleaf

What does size have to do with anything at all?

I believe when he wrote "puny", he meant weak or not that great of quality. The speakers for the gameboy advance are not really the greatest asset for the device. However, I'm sure if you were to play gameboy advance games on the GBA player for the Gamecube, the sound quality would probably improve.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Long answer? No.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I'd have to compare a GBA port of something like Super Mario World through the GameBoy Player on the GameCube to the actual game on the SNES connected to the same TV to really know for sure - and I haven't done that yet. The closest I would have would be Final FIght One (Japanese GBA game) to Final Fight Guy (Japanese Super Famicom).
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]I'd have to compare a GBA port of something like Super Mario World through the GameBoy Player on the GameCube to the actual game on the SNES connected to the same TV to really know for sure - and I haven't done that yet. The closest I would have would be Final FIght One (Japanese GBA game) to Final Fight Guy (Japanese Super Famicom).

I've played both versions of Super Mario World enough to tell you the SNES sounds better. I fact, in 90% of cases I would give it to the SNES. GBA was more powerful, but limited by its form factor.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

GBA has a much better sound if you use headphones instead of it's speaker (which is low quality).

It can also display more colors than the SNES and 3D graphics at playlable framerates without any extra chips (like the Super FX the SNES had to use to get decent 3D performance).

aquaglow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aquaglow
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

I don't know how good it can potentially be (as in specs); but when comparing GBA ports to their SNES counterparts, I've always felt the SNES versions have better music. But at the same time, the GBA ports often have added sound-effects that the SNES version doesn't have. But since the music is more important to me, personally, I'd say I enjoy the sound on the SNES more.

Emerald_Warrior
I'd agree with this. I own the Yoshi's Island GBA port, and some of the original sounds from the SNES version aren't reproduced properly.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

No. Play FFVI on SNES, then play it on GBA. You can tell there were limitations of what the GBA can do just by listening to the music.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

GBA has a much better sound if you use headphones instead of it's speaker (which is low quality).

It can also display more colors than the SNES and 3D graphics at playlable framerates without any extra chips (like the Super FX the SNES had to use to get decent 3D performance).

nameless12345
Gba does NOT have better audio. It's still a great portable, but the audio is lacking on this console. The headphone output is rather disappointing tbh. I'd say the gba actually has some of the worst quality audio of any system I've ever owned.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

it really depends, SNES ports will sound better on the SNES

but the GBA can create sound very similar to an MP3

for example, listen to this theme I don't think the SNES could produce those guitar sounds at 0:32

so to simplify: The GBA can producde MP3-like quality audio, surpassing anything on the SNEs, but I guess that requires a lot of CPU usage and/or cartridge space so it's rarely used and as a result the SNES tend to have the better sound

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

for example, listen to this theme I don't think the SNES could produce those guitar sounds at 0:32

so to simplify: The GBA can producde MP3-like quality audio, surpassing anything on the SNEs, but I guess that requires a lot of CPU usage and/or cartridge space so it's rarely used and as a result the SNES tend to have the better sound

rilpas
The quality of the m usic on the SNES may have had to do with cartridge limitations, as it seems like GBA carts had more storage capacity. One example are the GBA Video carts. I know with recent hardware availability with things like the SD2SNES cart - it seems the SNES was technically very capable for its age. Here's a perfect example of what, at least, an SNES can produce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXYPvhHMCo&feature=plcp That cart is even capable of letting someone play the Sega CD game Road Blaster.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Heirren

Gba does NOT have better audio. It's still a great portable, but the audio is lacking on this console. The headphone output is rather disappointing tbh. I'd say the gba actually has some of the worst quality audio of any system I've ever owned.

I ment that the sound is better if you use headphones, not that it's better than SNES.

The SNES had a quite capable Sony sound chip for the time but it wasn't perfect (some may say it produces a bit "muffled" sounds - it was better than the Genesis chip tho).

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Stinger78

The quality of the m usic on the SNES may have had to do with cartridge limitations, as it seems like GBA carts had more storage capacity. One example are the GBA Video carts. I know with recent hardware availability with things like the SD2SNES cart - it seems the SNES was technically very capable for its age. Here's a perfect example of what, at least, an SNES can produce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXYPvhHMCo&feature=plcp That cart is even capable of letting someone play the Sega CD game Road Blaster.

that sounds pretty good

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I ment that the sound is better if you use headphones, not that it's better than SNES.

The SNES had a quite capable Sony sound chip for the time but it wasn't perfect (some may say it produces a bit "muffled" sounds - it was better than the Genesis chip tho).

I use the officially Nintendo headphone dongle. The sound is still not too good. I'm going off the SP model here--but just look at it, it's tiny. That tiny thing has to have all the internals inside, INCLUDING the amp. You can't really compare something like with YouTube vids because most of those tracks have been ripped from roms.