KidKenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By KidKenobi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

With Star Wars: Force Awakens coming closer with every passing minute and with it breathing new life into the Star Wars series with a new trilogy and at least one spin-off movie, it can be said that Star Wars is back and looking to make an impact, and with this return to glory I must ask, is a new Star Wars RPG needed? I would say yes. Star wars games have always been greeted with mostly good feedback. The Knights of the Old Republic games and the Battlefront games both are well known and well-loved games. Battlefront 3 is in the works and is quoted to be released around next November, so should a new RPG be also needed. The RPG genre is one of the best and most loved genres in gaming, it allows you to be whomever you would like to be and you can choose to live that characters life however you see fit thanks to most RPG’s non-linear style of gameplay. But most RPG games these days seem to be set in medieval times, games such as Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls. These are all great games but they can all sometimes feel very similar. The Space RPG genre is something that is slowing growing with games like Destiny and the highly anticipated No Man’s Sky, but the market for these games still feel lacking, some people may consider Mass Effect a Space RPG but it still feels too much like and Action-Adventure/Shooter. This is why I believe that a new Star Wars RPG is badly needed and would thrive within the market.

Battlefront 3 out next year- should an RPG be in the works too?
Battlefront 3 out next year- should an RPG be in the works too?

The Star Wars universe is one of the broadest and expanded in Fiction, to even try and read through all the books or even the aptly named Wookiepedia would take someone an age, so a game built in this universe would be vast and thriving. Before Star Wars games only ever really gave you two choices become a Jedi/Sith or become a soldier and that seemed to be it, even KOTOR gave you three character classes but eventually it ended the same way with you becoming a Jedi, so a game which allowed you to choose whatever path you wanted, Soldier, Pilot, Thief, Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, Warrior or another, and how you wanted to walk that path would be a very rewarding game indeed. This would also be the same for the character races, Star Wars has a countless amount of races and being able to choose one of them would be a frustrating but great decision to be granted, play as a Wookie and use your brute strength as an advantage against your enemies, play as a Rodian and be the one who shoots first, play as a Mandalorian and use your ancestors vast knowledge of war to rule the galaxy. These are all mouth-watering ideas but they are only ideas, to see them come to life would be a real treat, being able to play as a Bounty Hunter working any contract the more dangerous the more credits, being able to save the galaxy as one of the greatest Jedi Knights or rule it as a feared and powerful Sith Lord! Or choose both sides of the force and walk your own path as a Dark Jedi, a Star Wars RPG would have endless possibilities of how to play it.

Of course many Star Wars games in the past have found it hard to find a balance in the weapons/powers, some games had amazing combat but lacked in the Force and with guns while others shared the opposite problem but a game that could mix the KOTOR or Revenge of the Siths combat, Force Unleashed force powers and even a hint of Battlefronts shooting would find a perfect balance but those things are easier said than done. A Star Wars RPG would be ideal and greeted with open arms but sadly I or you have no power over this…unless of course you work for Disney/Bioware then you have lots of power over this, but for the rest of us we are just fans with a hope…a new hope that the force will awaken on our gaming systems and desktops in the near future.

Would you protect or rule the galaxy?
Would you protect or rule the galaxy?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Am I the only one still waiting for a Jedi Academy sequel?

KidKenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KidKenobi

@crimsonbrute: Id love to see a new Jedi Academy game. Truth be told I have enjoyed most Star wars games

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'd like a new Star Wars RPG, but only if Obsidian was to make it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bioware, but for starters they have a lot on there plate right now with Dragon Age: Inquisition's recent release and inevitable DLC, The Old Republic expansions, as well as Mass Effect 4 and Shadow Realms both in the works, also I'd want something closer to Knights of the Old Republic than Mass Effect or Dragon Age and Bioware I don't feel could deliver on that.

Obsidian on the other hand has expressed an interest in making a new Star Wars RPG, and they where the same team responsible for KotOR's sequel, The Sith Lords (which would have been even better than KotOR, had they been given time to finish the game like they asked), I don't know if I'd necessarily want another direct sequel to KotOR or The Sith Lords, but a new RPG using the same combat style, but set in a different era would be great to see.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I would love a new star wars RPG similar to knights of the old republic. if I had a choice, I would want a really open ended and open world game, where I could choose if I wanted to be a bounty hunter, a smuggler, or a jedi, among other things. Games set in the star wars world are always great, and I really would love to see something like this released, but if I can't make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs I won't be buying it

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5  Edited By speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

"The RPG genre is one of the best and most loved genres in gaming,

Stopped reading at this point. It is not.

How about a Star Wars racing game or puzzle game or something? We have too many RPG's as it is, look at the GOTY nominees.

KidKenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KidKenobi

@spike6958: Obsidian would actually be a great developer. Yeah I'd prefer a whole new series not a KOTOR sequel or clone

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

"The RPG genre is one of the best and most loved genres in gaming,

Stopped reading at this point. It is not.

How about a Star Wars racing game or puzzle game or something?

Damn it, you got me wanting to go play Star Wars: Racer Arcade. Might sneak into my local arcade this weekend while the Mrs is shopping.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44277 Posts

Well I'd certainly love to see another Star Wars RPG. Preferablly I'd like to have Bioware do it but they seem pretty busy so I guess I'd be ok with Obsidian.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I doubt Bioware will make another Star Wars RPG while The Old Republic is still running.

KidKenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KidKenobi

@crimsonbrute: I noticed you're a moderator, so Ive a quick question. How can I get my blog seen by more people?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yeah , why not. And real RPG , not some Action-RPG.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i would really like to see a new HD version of KOTOR 1 & 2 and Obsidian has teased KOTOR 3

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Actually I've never played any Star Wars games. But since I like the Star Wars universe and am an RPG fan, I'm in favor of this idea.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

i wouldn't mind an SW game with Shadow of Mordor/Arkham style combat, but a good RPG would do nicely as well. Let's just not railroad players into being a force user...i kinda liked being able to play an agent or bounty hunter in ToR.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm playing through Knights of the Old Republic right now. Never beat it but I've played Taris a bunch and have moved past it one time; finally sitting myself down to beat the game.

This time, I love it. I know I have KotOR2 after this, but I would love a new Star Wars RPG done in the style of KotOR.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Personally? I would love to see an affinity project between Disney/Star Wars/EA and Hidetaka Miyazagi. Dark Souls of the Old Republic anyone?

Now, you may say what does a Japanese developer know about Star Wars? That's irrelevant (and not just because of bald-face prejudice.) As it stands right now, a modder could easily turn the standing Dark Souls into a Sith game.

By the middle of the game, Dark Souls starts to feel very Star Wars-y, specifically Sith-like. Tomb of the Giants could be Dromund Kaas. The Catacombs could easily be Korriban. Demonic Ruins looks just like Mustafar. Even Anor Londo could almost be Coruscant or a part of Cloud City, and the Darkroot stuff might pass for Naboo in a pinch.

So, just give From Software a license to do this one-off, Disney, please! Insist Miyazagi head it up. It would be the best game ever.

You wouldn't need to emphasize long-range weapons anymore than they already are emphasized in Dark Souls just to make it more Star Warsy either. Anyone who has played the Kotor game was probably initially surprised by all the melee weapons -- outside of lightsabers -- in the Star Wars universe: Vibroblades, vibroswords, gamorran war-axes, staves, etc. Just like in Dark Souls, with the right properties, you can convert your highest leveled weapons into a lightsaber. Imagine it's red hue cutting through Miyazagi's dark oppressive atmospheres?

Crossbows are now blasters. Bows are blaster rifles. Like a jedi or a Sith, I found long-range very situational in Dark Souls (remember Kenobi taking down Grievous) so it is yet one more thing that fits perfectly.

Maybe when you raid a Sith you become a Force Ghost and fighting for the lightside. When you are just playing on your own sever your a sith. All the best Jedi and Sith are back and forth between good and bad so it kind of fits.

But the most Star Warsy thing about Dark Souls is the pure act of becoming a bad-*ss through learning the world, seen and unseen, around you. Let me repeat that. The most Star Warsy -- or Sith-like -- thing about Dark Souls is becoming a bad *ss on your own volition by learning the world around you. That, my friends, is pure Sith right there, because this guy....

....has a VERY inquiring mind. Oh, man. This would be the best game EVER! DSOTOR! DSOTOR! Who's with me!?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Old Republic already exists and is a huge cash cow. There is no way Disney would fund a AAA SP console RPG. There just isn't the return on investment anymore.

What we need desperately is Battlefront III.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#18 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I'd love a Star Wars open world action-rpg with lightsabers, x-wings the whole nine yeards.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fire_Wa11

@kidkenobi said:

@crimsonbrute: Id love to see a new Jedi Academy game. Truth be told I have enjoyed most Star wars games

Great combat in those but the puzzles were brutal...especially in the pre-academy one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p

Actually it is.... People are suckers for leveling up and abstract numeric interactions.

it sucks but RPGs are really popular....

Hell even I like RPGs.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fire_Wa11

@foxhound_fox said:

There is no way Disney would fund a AAA SP console RPG. There just isn't the return on investment anymore.

Huh? So, there is no money to be made by a Star Wars game outside of Kotor unless it's action/adventure? That is just...yeah...but no.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

i would really like to see a new HD version of KOTOR 1 & 2 and Obsidian has teased KOTOR 3

Oh how awesome would a remake of KOTOR be!!!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@gregdale said:

I'd like to see KOTOR but with Mass Effect or whatever combat. I guess that wouldn't be KOTOR but that's ok. Throw in Star Citizen flavor and it's a winner.

Star Citizen is going to be mod compatible. The first thing someone is going to do is mod in Star Wars ships. :P

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

would love to see KOTOR 3 and a remaster of 1 and 2

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I would love a new Star Wars RPG.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@Fire_Wa11 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

There is no way Disney would fund a AAA SP console RPG. There just isn't the return on investment anymore.

Huh? So, there is no money to be made by a Star Wars game outside of Kotor unless it's action/adventure? That is just...yeah...but no.

He's most likely referring to Star Wars: The Old Republic, not KOTOR. SWTOR is the MMORPG that exists right now. It's a pretty fun game and basically as close as you'll get to what the OP is looking for right now.

Personally, Star Wars Galaxies was the best MMO made, even with its flaws. I don't think anything like it will ever exist again, sadly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@CrillanK

Great !

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

You should make it.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Well duh, like yeah!! Ive been waiting years since kotor2 for another star wars rpg for consoles.

Battlefront3 sounds good.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Am I the only one still waiting for a Jedi Academy sequel?

no, you are not.

On the RPG side of things, it would be awesome if they made one like KOTOR but you start off as a young padawan and you get to make choices that really affect you and the worlds around you. And you get a choice near the start to abandon the Jedi order and follow a darker path, but obviously not the only way to become evil.

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

I had no idea that Obsidian had teased KotOR 3. I wouldn't mind them making it for the most part. Their story telling's gotten a lot better, just hope they do a bit better with the nuts and bolts stuff. Their programming and design have always been a little unpredictable in terms of quality.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You should make it.

I've dabbled in making games and there's actually a SWG emulator out there that I've thought about contributing to, but it's just too time consuming to get fully into it. I already have a full time job and it's hard enough just trying to catch up on playing the games I want lol. But I've definitely thought about it.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fire_Wa11

@PyreofKoL said:

I had no idea that Obsidian had teased KotOR 3. I wouldn't mind them making it for the most part. Their story telling's gotten a lot better....

I like Obsidian a lot.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

As much as I like to see another Star Wars RPG, I just feel that Jedi/Sith are getting way too much attention and they overstayed there welcome in the video games. The only Star Wars game I really want is Star Wars: 1313.

Loading Video...

I truly hope Disney and EA revive 1313 in the future and it's about time for a Star Wars game to be just using Blasters, skills, and gadgets.