Does being a sequel affects the game's repute?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

If Crysis 2 or 3 were never sequels of the first Crysis. If they were totally different games, do you think people would have liked them more? I played Crysis 2 back in 2012, and I quit it before passing the first few missions. I was bitterly disappointed as I'd only just played the first Crysis. Seeing how big of a letdown it was, I gave up. But in 2013, I gave it one more try. This time, I'd almost forgotten what the first Crysis was. So I was playing Crysis 2 as something completely new. And I loved it, totally!

In some cases, we also see that being a sequel helps the game as well. Like in case of Assassin's Creed, the first AC was a downright tedious chore to finish. But the second AC was a total masterpiece. Even though it adopted most of the 'bad' from the first Assassin's Creed. Invisible walls, some animations were totally copy-pasted, facial animations were off-place at times and stuff like that. But, being a lot more better than the first one, the game was praised both by critics and the players.

So does being a sequel to a game really affects how well a game will do?
Company of heroes 2, Stronghold Crusader 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2, Borderlands The Pre-sequel, Dark Souls 2 and many other games were all good or great in their places, but they got nitpicked here and there mainly because they were sequels to games that were considered totally amazing.

metalmaggot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 metalmaggot13
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

@top_lel: I don't think it effects much that it is a sequel, it depends on the franchise in my honest opinion

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think a sequel to a top selling game makes the world of difference, but at the same time it's on a knife's edge, if the first was amazing, then people are expecting the next to top that and when it doesn't it can be the worst game in history even if it's pretty decent.

Take for Example Uncharted series, the first was a solid action adventure, the second blew it away, but the third for me was a let down, and yet it is a pretty decent game, it just so happened for me the second game was so well paced and the third entry just seemed to get rushed half way through.

JeffreyNelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JeffreyNelson
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Yes many are saying that sequel will have no affect for the reputation of game. But I think its all depend on how the sequel is developed of created. Many don't like the sequel because they are habitual to that but there are some people who like innovative ideas and new thing because they get bored from the old one. So I must say that sequel will affect to a top game selling.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

yes

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@davillain- said:

Yes and Mass Effect 3 prove it.

No!! please don't torture me!

@bezza2011 said:

I think a sequel to a top selling game makes the world of difference, but at the same time it's on a knife's edge, if the first was amazing, then people are expecting the next to top that and when it doesn't it can be the worst game in history even if it's pretty decent.

I think this sums it up.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It really depends. You have examples of both. I would rather look to the developer and see their history or the publishers

Atsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Atsix
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I agree, a lot of people expect a sequel to be better that its predecessor, and if it's not, sometimes it is unfairly dismissed as an awful game, when it's actually a great game in it's own right. A good example of that would be Batman: Arkham Origins. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were amazing games, so players expected AO to be an ever greater game, but in the end it wasn't a big improvement over AC and a lot of people dismissed it as a bad game. I played AO myself and I loved, and in my opnion it's not anywhere near as bad as some people say it is.