Does anyone else think that Mass Effect 2 was extremely overrated?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I'm not saying that it's a bad game, its a very good game, i'd give it 7.5/10. There was not enought variety for a 20 hour game, and what was there was done well, but not well enough for a 20 hour game.

wyan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wyan_
Member since 2009 • 614 Posts

Yes. The game felt like it was stripped down; the push to move on and crank out the third game being one of the more obvious culprits.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44619 Posts
No I thought it was a fantastic game myself and it took me over 20 hours on my first play through as I did all the sidequests and stuff plus I played through it 2 more times after that. I totally loved the first game but thought they had improved so much of it in the second.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

While I can't bring myself to say Mass Effect 2 was a bad game, I'll agree with you on it being very overrated. The combat is very sluggish and clunky, and very much of the game is too streamlined and simplified.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I thought so too. ME1 is the best story wise and ME3 is the best gameplay wise. ME2 was just fetch quests rounding up squadmates. It was a great game but not perfect

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i hope this explains what i feel about these overrated threads

2196860-1881210_700b_super.jpg

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Although it stripped away the open environments of the first game. I thought it was an improvement by introducing better and interesting characters and removing the MAKO sections.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Krelian-co

wasn't Richard Garriot the only man who created Akalabeth: World of Doom? Yep, he was

see? don't you feel silly now? :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts
you have to think about when it was released, and the improvements made to the gameplay over the original, having gone back and playing all three from the beginning the third game has some real good moments, overall I feel that despite the ending that the third game is my favorite, lots more action and better pacing
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

The ME series in a whole is overrated, not just ME2 (that is the best between the three honestly). But yeah, it ways praised by the critics through the roof when it came out. Somethin tells me it was because it wasnt a PS3 game at the time. Was it since the beginning on the PS3 and it wouldnt have the perfect scores it got. Red Dead Redemption was a WAY better game then ME2 and won less awards... go figure

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

no the first mass effect was extremely overrated......thought the second was better

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

it wasnt the 2nd coming of rpg's if thats what you mean...it wasnt horrid, but it wasnt amazing...extremely simplified and streamlined combat (almost autopilot level) derp choices (im the choir boy or the douchebag with a glowy face) and the quests were honestly soooooo d*** simple...go from point A to point B...shoot some things along the corridor and then sweet talk the chick into sexy time...thats about sums it up...that being said...there are alot worse rpgs out there...but there are soooooo many better ones thats its a shame that the ONLY reason its so popular is cause of advertising

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I think out had a lot to do with it being an astonishingly significant improvement over the first game. It had almost no story, and very little in the way of mission variety ("chest high walls" pretty much sums up the whole game), but the characters were where it shined, and unfortunately, they played a mostly diminished role in the third game. The third game more than makes up for all of 2's faults. Especially in the story department.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

I think all of the Mass Effect games are overrated

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I finally finished every mission and side quest in Mass Effect 2 including Arrival (150 hrs due to time constraints) and I can better understand why fans were disappointed with Mass Effect 3's endings. Despite a few audio dropouts and occasional glitches, the story and character development were handled pretty good, especially with Mordin and Legion. Combat had a slight learning curve since I never played part 1 and mining planets felt like a chore but all of your upgrades play a part in the end and I got a sense of accomplishment at the end. Not bad for $20. Better than games I paid twice as much for.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

The ME series in a whole is overrated, not just ME2 (that is the best between the three honestly). But yeah, it ways praised by the critics through the roof when it came out. Somethin tells me it was because it wasnt a PS3 game at the time. Was it since the beginning on the PS3 and it wouldnt have the perfect scores it got. Red Dead Redemption was a WAY better game then ME2 and won less awards... go figure

4dr1el

oooh boy :roll:

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Krelian-co

Exactly, I'm getting sick of seeing these types of threads pop up multiple times a week.

People really need to get to grips and realize that just because a game is critically acclaimed does not mean that its quality is universal, but rather it can be greatly appreciated by the majority of gamers, or at least fans of the particular genre.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It was good for what it was, a solid shooter, with great characters and interesting visual design. It's only bad if you're judging it as an RPG.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

It's only bad if you're judging it as an RPG.meetroid8

I still would, judging it as a shooter. The gameplay, as in the combat mostly, is generally very lackluster in ME2. Even after three games, Bioware only managed to squeeze out a half-decent shooter with ME3.

BioWare really seems to struggle making shooters.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Did anyone else like Mass Effect 1 better than ME2? I don't quite know the reason but there was a change somewhere in between

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Did anyone else like Mass Effect 1 better than ME2? I don't quite know the reason but there was a change somewhere in betweenLiftedHeadshot

It's called EA

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

not me.

it certainly could have used more weapons, and the over arching story was nothing special, but i still loved every minute of it and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts
Did anyone else like Mass Effect 1 better than ME2?LiftedHeadshot
If that really is the case then ME2 must have been abysmal, because ME1 was buggy, unintuitive, and lacked simple game features such as checkpoints. It did its job in the RPG elements but the whole 'action' thing just fell flat on its face in the mud.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I personally think Mass Effect 2 was the best entry in the series, but to each their own.

Winchester39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Winchester39
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
Yessir. Repetitive and lacked flexibility. Also planet scanning sucks balls.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zeviander
Did anyone else like Mass Effect 1 better than ME2? I don't quite know the reason but there was a change somewhere in betweenLiftedHeadshot
Only before going back to it and trying very hard not to throw the controller across the room due to the pants-on-head-stupid combat. There is nothing in the series that can compare to the awe induced from traversing some of those planets in the Mako (the one with the binary red giant and blue star comes to mind immediately), but the game itself has aged horribly, and as both a shooter and RPG, utterly fails to deliver anything of value. It was great back in 2007.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Mass Effect 1 had a better story imo. I saw the story portion on youtube and never played it but from what I've seen combat wise, Mass Effect 2 definitely has the upper hand.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I enjoyed the plot of Mass Effect 2 because of the awesomeness of the suiside mission, to see the bond you build with the characters and Sheppard's own leadership skills influence the outcome of the climax was I feel a watershed moment in what gaming could bring to storytelling. It was just awesome by itself, battle mechanics aside (they were stripped down a bit but I would argue that this is a good thing) it is an amazing game.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I do believe Mass Effect 2 is overrated. The missions themselves were lackluster. The level design for the combat scenarios were poorly done, the game felt like a chore going through all of the crew loyalty missions, mining planets and so on. If it wasn't for the story, choices and characters I would have never bothered to finish the game.

So in terms of gameplay it was meh. Although I have enjoyed the entire series, it still fails to peak my interest in terms of gameplay and gameplay variety. The first game had absolutely horrible shooting mechanics, terrible mission design, bland environments, clumsy menus, and so on. However ME1 did have the best story of the series, it also has the worst interaction with characters and crew out of the bunch which is to be expected.

ME3 has done a better job with the shooting sections of the game and does have better mission design in areas, the series still has a long way to go in that sense. But I also can't expect too much, considering the size of those games and all the different pieces that need to come together... it would never be able to reach something like Uncharted in terms of variety in its gameplay and design for the missions and environments along with the quality in these areas as well. So I guess part of me understands and accepts it the way it is.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

It definitely needed more variety if only to make the game world more fun to just hang out and waste time in between all the shooting. KOTOR for example had gambling, space combat, dueling, puzzles, lawyer and racing mini games. ME1 had the Mako, puzzles and gambling (though no where near as good as pazaak) mini games and ME2 had planet scanning and annoying simplistic puzzles. :|

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Not extremely, a little, but not out of line. I liked ME1 the best due to it being most RPG-ish out of the 3, but IMO, the third is my least favorite thus far.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i loved me2 a lot. i think me3 felt more stripped down that me2 did....i loved the loyalty missions in me2...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17885 Posts
i like ME2. very poor RPG but a fun game. however after finishing all 3 games, when i look back on it, story wise ME2 seems a bit like filler. it didnt really contribute a whole lot to the overall story imho. maybe i was just too focused on reaper killing :P.
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Yes I think ME2 is overrated but to me ME3 is even more overrated, ME1 was a decent game but the series got worse with every installment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.Black_Knight_00

Well said. That's why I always say ME1 is best for story and ME3 best for gameplay. If you could link the two you would have a great combo. The depth and story of an RPG with the accessibility of a shooter.

And all the people saying ME1s combat is horrible, no it's not that bad. I played it for the first time this year and thought it was great. It's worse in comparison to the sequels but not unplayable

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Personally I loved it. Thought the characters were great, you really got to know each and every one of them via their loyalty missions, and there was a ton of variety in the gameplay. It told a good story with a pretty epic ending. Only complaint was that the shooting and combat mechanics were sort of rough and could have used some more polishing.

I rated it a 9.5/10.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

It is definitely overrated. Compared to the first one that is. Still a good game and since i am a fan of the series i had to buy it and play it.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Why is simplification a bad thing? ME1 is still one of favorite games, but having to sort through hundreds of useless upgrades and weapon mods was a pain in the ass. The Mako sections were also god awful. I'm glad ME2 removed those parts.

I also don't understand why ME2 is criticized for linearity. Not every single game needs to be open world. I'd rather just get the story moving along then drive around an empty planet looking for the objective.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19602 Posts

Mass Effect 2 is a mixed bag for me.

Positives:
It had great presentation, the final mission was quite well done, some of the side characters were interesting, and it's a solid shooter-y action-y game.

Negatives:
Lame filler story that contributed very little to the overall plot of the trilogy, too many retcons, no meaningful consequences for the first game's choices, no meaningful distinction between good Shepard and bad Shepard, stripped-down roleplaying mechanics, poorly-designed environments, stupid final boss, weaker musical score than the first game, and several really bland crew members (Jacob, Miranda, Morinth, Zaeed, etc).

I enjoyed it, but it took a step back for every step it took forward in presentation, and I don't think it deserved to be praised quite as highly as it was.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Krelian-co

QFT. Mass Effect 2 is NOT overrated, it's one of the best games of this generation, and the majority of the world agrees.

Remember, there's people in this world who hate sex, and think broccoli tastes better than chocolate ice cream. No one gives a s***.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zeviander
That's why I always say ME1 is best for story and ME3 best for gameplay. If you could link the two you would have a great combo. seanmcloughlin
Which is why I'm hoping for a remake. Top-to-bottom but with the same overall plot progression (the gameplay is a no-brainer, but the directing/presentation of the third is amazing as well). Keep the Mako, make it easy to use and give us more densely populated planets (more than just topography) and I'd buy 5 copies.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zeviander
[...] it's one of the best games of this generation, and the majority of the world agrees.Jbul
An argument from popularity is a logical fallacy.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Yes indeed but this horse has been beaten to death years ago now......
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.seanmcloughlin

Well said. That's why I always say ME1 is best for story and ME3 best for gameplay. If you could link the two you would have a great combo. The depth and story of an RPG with the accessibility of a shooter.

And all the people saying ME1s combat is horrible, no it's not that bad. I played it for the first time this year and thought it was great. It's worse in comparison to the sequels but not unplayable

Yeah, you'd think they'd figure out how to blend shooter and RPG properly after ME2 botched it, and I was positive ME3 would be the time they got it right. Then I saw this, which indefinitely postponed my purchase of ME3.

ME1's combat is only terrible early on: the first tier of guns you get is an overheating disaster of inaccuracy and low damage. I myself stopped playing the game around the time when you have to kill the bounty hunters outside the bar at the citadel, those weapons almost killed the game for me. Later on it gets so much better, it's a pity the first impact is so unbalanced, many people would have played more if it wasn't for that first 2 hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.Black_Knight_00

Yeah, you'd think they'd figure out how to blend shooter and RPG properly after ME2 botched it, and I was positive ME3 would be the time they got it right. Then I saw this, which indefinitely postponed my purchase of ME3.

ME1's combat is only terrible early on: the first tier of guns you get is an overheating disaster of inaccuracy and low damage. I myself stopped playing the game around the time when you have to kill the bounty hunters outside the bar at the citadel, those weapons almost killed the game for me. Later on it gets so much better, it's a pity the first impact is so unbalanced, many people would have played more if it wasn't for that first 2 hours.

Yeah James Vega is a HORRIBLE character in ME3 and he's not very well acted out either.

Once I started getting shotguns in ME1 it was a blast, literally. Blowing guys away became so much fun. The game felt a lot more organic though because it didn't take away all your freedom. it let you go wherever you wanted and explore the citadel properly, ME2 took all that freedom away and only a slight bit was given back for ME3.

As many people say the ME games are "what could have been"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
nope, i thought it was amazing. i've played through it like 7 times. very rare for me
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.Black_Knight_00

You know that is fake right? I don't understand why people whine so much about Vega. He didn't have a very big part, but he was a likeable, well voiced character. As for Chobot, you don't even need to being her on to the ship.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.Black_Knight_00

All i can do is agree with this entire statement. All series need to stop dumbing down & removing features. I cannot stand how many series are turning over for mass appeal.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Call me crazy but I have this insane idea that a good sequel should expand on the original, as opposed to removing features. That's not the case with Mass Effect 2, where all the depth of ME1 has been sucked out and replaced by bigger guns and more bullets. Exploration was replaced by a mandatory minigame that would have sucked even on the DS, loot was replaced by scripted equipment drops, character progression was stripped down to the bare minimum and the shooting we got in exchange for all that isn't that great either. You can see EA's stinky handprint all over it, they wanted to simplify the series to sell it to the Jersey Shore mob and guess what, that's what they did. Still pretty good despite the abuse, but it oozes wasted potential.brucecambell

All i can do is agree with this entire statement. All series need to stop dumbing down & removing features. I cannot stand how many series are turning over for mass appeal.

why not? if i was a developer i would do it, fact is people are too damn lazy to play it if its just a bit complicated, while we who love those games will play it anyway. So, its the only logical path.