Does anyone else think both the Xbox One and the PS4 suck?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheManofTin (333 posts) -

With both next gen consoles out already, and more room for people to provide first hand experiences with the tech, I thought I'd bring up a problem that has been bothering me since the reveal of both these systems- they both kind of suck. While the Sony elitists will exclaim "400 DOLLARS BRO" and the "Xbots" will reply with "BETTER MULTIPLAYER", and the PC elitists will condescendingly say "Pfft", I just think both the Xbox One and PS4 are both sort of a disappointment in their own right. Nothing seems to be new here. It all just seems like features we've seen before and I understand that it takes time for developers to utilize the full potential of both systems, but the jump in graphical quality and the "WOW" factor just aren't there, so what's all the current hype for?

#2 Posted by nyc05 (10183 posts) -

The jump in graphical quality isn't there? Tell that to those of us enjoying Ryse or Killzone: Shadow Fall. Ryse, in particular, is absolutely stunning; leaps and bounds better than anything else available, IMO. To think that it looks like that at launch, and that games will only look better as we move forward is very exciting.

Cannot agree with you at all. Both PS4 and XBO are spectacular consoles so far, IMO. As an owner of both I am having an amazing time with both. The future is incredibly bright.

#3 Edited by Iridion-II (1344 posts) -

I think there is a lot of over hyped fluff on the new systems. I will get one a couple years once there's some interesting content on them, hopefully.

#4 Edited by Archangel3371 (15493 posts) -

They both look great to me. Getting an Xbox One in a few weeks and a PS4 early next year. Can't wait.

#5 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

I think they're both neat.

#6 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

This generational leap isn't as visually obvious. It's a leap forward in world fidelity rather than graphical fidelity. The games look a bit better, but the worlds they're creating have a greater density of interactive items and deformable environments. I've had a couple of "next-gen" moments so far. Where it hit me exactly what kind of things can happen on these machines that could not happen on the 360 or PS3. It's not as immediately impressive as it was going from SD to HD, that much is true. But in practice, there are some fun interesting games happening on both consoles and even more on the way.

And to that guy reaching for the quote button to give me an earful: Of course the PC has been able to do similar things forever. So it you're one of those "PC MASTER RACE" types, don't bother quoting me. The leap forward in consoles is good for PC players too, whether they'd like to admit it or not. Because now even PC focused companies who might want to port their games later will have a higher water mark to work within.

#7 Posted by inb4uall (5469 posts) -
#8 Posted by anybodykilla15 (114 posts) -

I think they suck, sort of same reasons,

all they focused on is the look of next gen,

but I haven't seen anything next gen yet,

maybe when witcher 3 comes out

#9 Posted by Ish_basic (4010 posts) -

With both next gen consoles out already, and more room for people to provide first hand experiences with the tech, I thought I'd bring up a problem that has been bothering me since the reveal of both these systems- they both kind of suck. While the Sony elitists will exclaim "400 DOLLARS BRO" and the "Xbots" will reply with "BETTER MULTIPLAYER", and the PC elitists will condescendingly say "Pfft", I just think both the Xbox One and PS4 are both sort of a disappointment in their own right. Nothing seems to be new here. It all just seems like features we've seen before and I understand that it takes time for developers to utilize the full potential of both systems, but the jump in graphical quality and the "WOW" factor just aren't there, so what's all the current hype for?

Were they all sold out when you went to get one? That what happened here?

#10 Posted by RimacBugatti (1279 posts) -

Well perhaps your expectations for a console that costs less than $1000 is unrealistic. The games look fabulous for the most part although there is room for improvement. Give it some time and it will improve. These new consoles blow away last gen by far.

#11 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

I'm enjoying my new xbox one the graphics look real sweet on those next gen games and I have no regrets at all.

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150727 posts) -

No I don't think they suck. Anyway it's what games they provide that count. And only that.

#13 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Give them some real time to put some games on them first. Destiny and Titanfall should have the awe factor you seek.

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (29637 posts) -

No, but their launch line-ups certainly do suck.

#15 Posted by marcheegsr (2582 posts) -

Its only you.

#16 Posted by murekkep (682 posts) -

It's really funny. Console players used to call PCs "typewriter"s and now all consoles look like a pc.

#17 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Both consoles are at the bottom of the innovation curve

#18 Edited by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@TheManofTin said:

Do you only buy consoles and games for graphics? because then i kinda feel sad for you in a way because you are sure missing out on some great gaming.

But to the consoles, they dont suck they are actually pretty great even tho Xbox one for some strange reason have decided that 720p is the new black and even tho most cant see the difference its a strange move.

Graphicwise both the ps4 and Xbone is not a giant leap in quality over Ps3 and xbox360 but the improvements are there, just look at AC4 for next-gen and on pc and you will find it hard even on max out pc settings to see much of a difference where if you take the same game for xbox360 and ps3 its clear as day.

So no i dont think they suck at all i think its a great product, and once the games start coming out i will be right there buying both of them.

#19 Posted by nyc05 (10183 posts) -
#20 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

I don't know, it's not like I own either, However, I will say tht so long as they can mke bigger games, with better graphics... That's all that really matters. The rest is just bonus features. I mean, NES to SNES to N64, thats all you got was better looking games, and I think that's all that really justifies a new console.

#21 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -

They had weak launch like ups compared to their predecessors

#22 Posted by LeftClick007 (76 posts) -

The new consoles are equivalent to a midrange PCs at the moment, the hardware isnt anything special, so whats important is what they do with it. If you only had access to a console last gen you will see a good difference, if you've had access to a high end pc for the last 3-4 years you will see that the consoles have finally caught up. Thats just how it goes, technology wise, but its a good thing. I was going to buy a PS4 but there just aren't any must have games for it yet. The consoles dont suck however, its just that they lack any titles that warrant an immediate purchase. Just give it time.

#23 Edited by XenoLair (4755 posts) -

Yeah, they suck right now. There's very few games to play on them and offer very little of anything else to be more interesting than current hardware. They'll get better though and when that day comes, I'll be buying myself one.

#24 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I've been plenty happy with the PS4. It's got a fantastic controller, and RESOGUN and Killzone have been a blast so far. I played a lot of games this generation, but I didn't play anything on consoles that looked remotely as good as Killzone does, so yeah...

#25 Posted by -wildflower- (2859 posts) -

I'm certainly not interested in either of them. I think I'll stick with my PC.

#26 Posted by Grieverr (2687 posts) -

As has been said, if you're pretty much a console-only gamer, then yes, there is a nice jump with these new consoles. Nothing on PS360 looked as nice as Battlefield/Killzone.The Twitch integration is something I'm really enjoying as a spectator.

And this is just the beginning. Look at the changes made in the PS360's lifetime. Completely new UI's and functionality and additional services. I'm sure we'll see a similar jump in features with time.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying BF4, Resogun, and Warframe, among others.

#27 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71270 posts) -

you can always wait for better games coming out for it, it was the same during the last launch. There haven't been any killer apps since Halo and Super MArio 64

#28 Posted by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

I think the most failed aspect of next gen is online. That said next gen came too early. If the average internet mbps was greater then next gen would kick ass. Imagine every game becoming MMO. CoD, Assassins Creed, GTA, Fallout, even sport games MMO!

#29 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

No, but their launch line-ups certainly do suck.

The Xbox One launch titles don't suck imo.

#30 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -
#31 Posted by TurtleScientist (7 posts) -

Which one do you suggest? I won't buy both but I need pros and cons to make a decision

#32 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

Your in the future and your using it to tell us the PS4 and X-Box suck! Post the lottery results FFS

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (7338 posts) -

I never understand these complaints. ALL new hardware when released is initially going to be disappointing. Not only because developers have not yet had the time to explore and exploit what is capable on the new hardware, but because we're at a point hardware wise where the best of the old gen will be pretty much indescenable from the new of next.

There is a period of adjustment. People who buy a next-gen system need to realize this, and if they don't like it then don't buy it. I never buy next-gen systems at launch because I expect to be wowed on day one. I buy next-gen for the promise of the future.

#34 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

I have an Xbone and I love it. The games I have are Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Forza 5, and Ryse. I haven't played Ryse yet, but I've been playing the others and they're fantastic. Great gameplay and a substantial increase in graphics from the 360. I'm set.

#35 Posted by TheDarkSpot (1335 posts) -

Most of the first post was pretty much EXACTLY what I said in a comment section here. Glad I'm not alone.

#36 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

I disagree, I think their both good.

They both have their own unique advantages which I've been really enjoying so far.

#37 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

The graphical leap forward is far less noticeable than it has been in previous generations. We had a leap from 2d to 3d, and 3d to hd. And now we have, what? HD to marginally better HD? I think I'll enjoy my 360 for a few more years until the xbox one goes down in price.

#38 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25652 posts) -

Not really. The second year of a console is when things generally take off with impressive "next gen" software- think GTA3/MGS2, Gears of War 1, SMG, Uncharted 1.