Does anyone else stop breathing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

OK, so I just played Bioshock for like an hour and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I stop breathing basically during every single conbat encounter...

Anyone do this, or am I the only weirdo?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Uhm... You mean literally stop breathing like choking, or just hold your breath in healthy tension?
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
holding my breath in tension... except for extended periods of time which in turn makes me light headed, LOL
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

No you aren't the only one. I've found myself unconsciously doing it too during tense moments in games - especially in online RTS's. It's just another effect of stress like shallow breathing is. Like the above poster said it's bad if you're doing it unconscious which it sounds like.

I've personally found the whole situation rather appalling in the past. But with a little disciplined breathing you don't have treat vgs as a harzard to your health.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
That sounds very unhealthy.
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArchDuke1
Member since 2008 • 310 Posts
It happens to me in Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl evrytime I go in underground missions.
toad1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 toad1956
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts
It happens to people who as children held their breath and it happens to people with anxiety disorders. Of course if the action is intense enough all people will hold there breath.
Kasumi_Chii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kasumi_Chii
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

When I first played this game.. I almost had heart failure. I think it was the part at the very beginning when you're in the bath sphere thing (?) and you see the female splicer kill someone while you're still in it. Then it disappears and everything goes crazy, and I convinced myself that it was going to suddenly appear behind me and scare the life out of me. That, and the few minutes following when every time you walk a certain distance you can hear it singing and talking.. x_X; I recovered (for the most part) after acquiring a decent weapon though. However, walking past mutilated corpses and things that jump unexpectedly out of nowhere still get me.

The thing I dread the most now is hearing "I'm ready for dream time now, Mr. Bubbles." because it means that I must soon engage in another face off with a Big Daddy. They're evil. >=/

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
I don't think I do that, at least i've never noticed myself doing it.
Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts

When I get really into a fight for Halo 3 or CoD4 I do...

But it usually only lasts 2 seconds and I never notice it.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#11 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I've never noticed myself doing it so i guess i ain't never did it.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

OK, so I just played Bioshock for like an hour and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I stop breathing basically during every single conbat encounter...

Anyone do this, or am I the only weirdo?

mfp16

Sounds like you're letting yourself get a little TOO immersed into your games. If it's getting to that bad, you need to pause for a minute, step back, and remind yourseflt that it's just a game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Actually I hold my breath every time I have to play a difficult or reflex-challenging section of a game. It helps concentration. Unless you overdo it, in that case it just turns you blue.
Akivaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Akivaria
Member since 2007 • 265 Posts
Bioshock was a very visceral and engaging game. I think I went through a few new pairs of underwear playing it, and I look forward to being able to play through the baddie side of it in a few years.As for breathing, I don't think I stopped really... though I definitely jumped. Especially the first time I met a houdini splicer.
TheBusterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TheBusterMan
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
I've never experienced that,but have had increased heart rate when almost killing a boss and trying not to die,or coming first in a multi player game and hoping no one beats me at the last moment.Also has anyone experienced 'itchy nose syndrome' when racing and you just have to scratch?