Do you prefer the old Ninja Gaiden Trilogy or the New Ninja Gaiden trilogy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
Ninja Gaiden is a popular series that had a brief absence after the ship of doom, maybe due to the success at the time of Strider and Shinobi, but was leter rebooted for the Xbox and a new trilogy with tons of version differences was born. Both trilogies are well received and have gained critical acclaim. A key thing I like about the franchise is that it always finds a way to be challenging whether or not it was on purpose or not. The games also involve you to be able to have quick reflexes. I personally prefer the New series as when it first came out it BLEW MY MIND and I was amazed by the atmosphere and solid combat.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The only good 3D Ninja Gaiden is Ninja Gaiden Black. Sigma, II, Sigma 2, III, and Razor's Edge are all poorly paced and not nearly as fluid. The 2D trilogy is made up of three great games, though.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I'm a bigger fan of the new games. I just prefer that kind of game. Plus, the original game has some pretty poor design choices. Even though it is a good game. That's still the only NES Ninja Gaiden I have played actually.

And yeah, Ninja Gaiden II has some annoying aspects as well. But they are ALL fixed with the Sigma version. Sigma II is my favorite Ninja Gaiden game.

Platform_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Platform_King
Member since 2013 • 128 Posts
original trilogy
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I prefer the NES trilogy by far myself.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The original Ninja Gaiden is the better group of games

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

How about the original Ninja Gaiden that predates both of those?

-Byshop

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

How about the original Ninja Gaiden that predates both of those?

-Byshop

Byshop
Eh, it's alright. I played it on Wii VC though, maybe it controlled better in the arcade.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

Eh, it's alright. I played it on Wii VC though, maybe it controlled better in the arcade.Eikichi-Onizuka

It's a classic Double Dragon clone. I remember when I was a kid being annoyed at the sheer number of arcade games that had NES versions that bore little to no resemblence to the original. I was dissapointed that the NES Ninja Gaiden didn't really look or play like the awesome arcade game I fell in love with, but after spending enough time with it I realized that it was a decent game in its own right. Same goes for the NES version of Strider. The NES couldn't compare to an arcade machine so they had to make completely new games using existing licenses.

-Byshop

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Eh, it's alright. I played it on Wii VC though, maybe it controlled better in the arcade.Byshop

It's a classic Double Dragon clone. I remember when I was a kid being annoyed at the sheer number of arcade games that had NES versions that bore little to no resemblence to the original. I was dissapointed that the NES Ninja Gaiden didn't really look or play like the awesome arcade game I fell in love with, but after spending enough time with it I realized that it was a decent game in its own right. Same goes for the NES version of Strider. The NES couldn't compare to an arcade machine so they had to make completely new games using existing licenses.

-Byshop

Slightly off-topic, but I notice your reviews are more critical than some other members of legacy. Eikichi, Greyseal, Emerald Warrior, and to a lesser extent, Shenmue-jehuty. your reviews stand out in the crowd with your scores.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Eh, it's alright. I played it on Wii VC though, maybe it controlled better in the arcade.Jakandsigz

-Byshop

Slightly off-topic, but I notice your reviews are more critical than some other members of legacy. Eikichi, Greyseal, Emerald Warrior, and to a lesser extent, Shenmue-jehuty. your reviews stand out in the crowd with your scores.

Lol, with the exception of American Nightmare, I haven't written a review in many years. I don't know that my reviews are that critical, but rather I prefer to write reviews of games that I either dislike or find to be an extremely mixed bag. It's more entertaining to write about something you dislike rather than writing a glowing review of a popular game that everyone likes.

-Byshop

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
The new trilogy. Ninja Gaiden Black is still amazing.
veolyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 veolyn
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

The new trilogy had a steady decline in quality, whereas the original trilogy is pretty much consistently great, so I'd have to go with those. Ninja Gaiden Black is great, though.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Without a doubt, the NES trilogy. Every game in that series was a masterpiece. Fantastic controls, some of the best chiptunes on the NES, and those cutscenes were amazing back in the day.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazyathew

Without a doubt, the NES trilogy. Every game in that series was a masterpiece. Fantastic controls, some of the best chiptunes on the NES, and those cutscenes were amazing back in the day.

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah, I must admit while I do prefer the new trilogy, the music is SO awesome on the NES trilogy. The new games don't even compare, lol. And considering the time yeah, the cutscenes are pretty awesome. I mean they still look good today.

I just HATE how far they send you back if you lose against the final boss... that aspect alone almost ruins the whole game for me. And I just don't get why they would do that. However, I did get it on 3DS and that has save states. So problem solved I guess. :)

I'm still just more of fan of the action genre then platformers though, that's why I prefer the new games. I still need to get Ninja Gaiden 2 NES though, lol. I've still only played the first one. It's awesome. It's just that one problem I mentioned and a few designs in the later stages I feel are stupid. But other then that, great game.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

lazyathew

Yeah, I must admit while I do prefer the new trilogy, the music is SO awesome on the NES trilogy. The new games don't even compare, lol. And considering the time yeah, the cutscenes are pretty awesome. I mean they still look good today.

I just HATE how far they send you back if you lose against the final boss... that aspect alone almost ruins the whole game for me. And I just don't get why they would do that. However, I did get it on 3DS and that has save states. So problem solved I guess. :)

I'm still just more of fan of the action genre then platformers though, that's why I prefer the new games. I still need to get Ninja Gaiden 2 NES though, lol. I've still only played the first one. It's awesome. It's just that one problem I mentioned and a few designs in the later stages I feel are stupid. But other then that, great game.

At least go watch the intro to Ninja Gaiden II, one of the coolest NES intros ever, with some killer music.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

Emerald_Warrior

At least go watch the intro to Ninja Gaiden II, one of the coolest NES intros ever, with some killer music.

Well I plan to buy it off the VC at some point anyway so I'll so I'll see it then. :P Actually I was already planning on making that one of the next games I buy whenever I get another Wii points card.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

Not directly related to the conversation, but Ninja Gaiden fans will get a kick out of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sFvU2cyoY_4#at=85

-Byshop

Avatar image for abcdefgabcdefgz
abcdefgabcdefgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 abcdefgabcdefgz
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts

Original nes ones all the way or the snes trilogy but the 2d ones are what invented ninja gaiden without those your not playing the new 3d ones. I am old school though I love 2d over 3d any day

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19547 Posts

Neither. I prefer the Ninja Gaiden that was released for the Sega Master System.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Emerald_Warrior

Neither. I prefer the Ninja Gaiden that was released for the Sega Master System.

Jag85

Good game, no doubt. Great presentation, and even better looking graphics. But the NES version had the better gameplay (and fantastic music), and that's what really matters in my book.

Alchemist3001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Alchemist3001
Member since 2011 • 120 Posts

I prefer the new series. Ninja Gaiden Black is definitely one of my favourite games. ^.^

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Neither. I prefer the Ninja Gaiden that was released for the Sega Master System.

Emerald_Warrior

Good game, no doubt. Great presentation, and even better looking graphics. But the NES version had the better gameplay (and fantastic music), and that's what really matters in my book.

I never even knew such a beast existed.

-Byshop 

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#24 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I don't know really, the NES games are too hard for me to actually enjoy. And the newer ones are too hard for me to enjoy.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Byshop

I never even knew such a beast existed.

-Byshop

There's also a Game Gear version. And a Game Boy title, Ninja Gaiden: Shadow.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jakandsigz
I don't know really, the NES games are too hard for me to actually enjoy. And the newer ones are too hard for me to enjoy.Dudersaper
Try the new Third-one, it's made easier, but keeps similar gameplay so you may be able to play the first two of the newer set without much problem after.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
The new one i suppose mainly because i really didn't care about the old ones.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19547 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Emerald_Warrior

I am of the opposite opinion: I thought the NES trilogy had the better cut-scene presentation, better story, and of course better soundtrack, but it was the SMS version's gameplay that I liked better (and of course the better graphics). For example, the SMS version replaced the wall-clinging mechanic of the NES trilogy with a bouncing-off-walls (or wall-to-wall jump) mechanic, which later carried over to the 3D games. I thought it was a pretty cool mechanic, so I was a bit disappointed when I didn't find it in the NES trilogy. But then again, if I had played the NES trilogy first, then my opinion may have been different. To each his own, I guess?