Do you prefer console or pc gaming? Why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I myself prefer console gaming. I like the fact that when you buy a console game, you can put it in and play it immediately. I also like the fact that I know that the game is going to work and I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars a year upgrading its hardware just to play the newest games. How about you?
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
I like console gaming for basically the same reasons. No installing, no worrying if it will work, and you don't need to update them every year just to keep them running.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Consoles for the types of games on them that are only realised on the PC in the form of bad ports at best.

Though if I can subdivide further I would say handhelds. Though handhelds are still some way from having their own niches in games, getting there though.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Both,because the 2 of them have their ups and downs...and those are just too small to actually worry about.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

My choices have everything to do with gameplay. RPGs, FPS, RTS, must be played on the pc. With these genres, there is no substitute for a keyboard and mouse. For sports games, gamepads work best (console, pc.. doesn't matter)

Since I keep my pc up to date anyway, I have no need for a console (gave them to my nephews)

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
Strategy games and shooters are my thing, so its the PC for me. And only idiots and people with a big expendable income spend hundreds of dollars every year on new hardware.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I also have the same reasons w/ the TC.

I prefer console because they are made for games. It's just simply buy a game, put it in, play. There is no need for spaces n consoles.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

PC because generally the games I'm most interested in are either only on PC or the PC gets the best version. Also because the platform is open which empowers gamers to tweak and change various settings to adjust the game to their preference. It also opens the door for some teriffic user-created content - without it, stuff like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress wouldn't even exist. Console gamers are always quick to point out the drawbacks to PC being a rather complex platform, but never acknowledge the many advantages such complexity provides.

Also, spending hundreds of dollars every year on upgrades is nothing but a load of bull****.

WoW4Ever2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WoW4Ever2008
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
PC - Big time !
cheats, trainers, walkthrows, better multiplaying...
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#11 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I prefer gaming in general and at any given time I prefer the platform that has the most interesting game for me.

I think anyone that's been here long enough knows that actual ups and downs of consoles and PC minus all the false stereotypes about them ($5,000 PC, $10,000 90' Plasma HDTV are needed for enjoyment crap)

Simply put, If I stuck to any one platform. I'd miss out Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, The Witcher...

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

I like to play the occasional 90's PC game, and I enjoy a good game of Day of Defeat now and then, but I stopped PC gaming because PC games, for me, cannot create atmosphere.

I don't know why. Maybe because the pain of getting some of them running, the knowledge that the amount of money you spend on your system determines how "good" you can run a game and that I never know if I play the game how the developers wanted me to, maybe because of the controls or the distractions (OS, music, internet), but PC games for me are mostly just.. programs. I cannot "dive" into PC games the way I can when I pop a game into a console, grab the controller and just play. On the sofa.

I'm not too keen on graphics, fps, MMORPGs or WRPGs for that matter, or RTS, but I don't think that's the reason. PC gaming, for me, has lost it's heart somewhere around 1998. I know that's kind of a stupid and unfair statement, but that's how I feel.

pigonthewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 pigonthewing
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts

I love my console for Rock Band, sports games and a few other things. Though the pc is great for many other games like fps games and rts games. The user created content is also a huge. The created content for oblivion, civ4, and many others is just outstanding. Also i have never had any issues getting games working on my pc. I guess i would have to say i prefer the pc for gaming but i still love my console games as well.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
It depends on the genre for me. FPS, RTS, and RPGs I prefer on my PC, while Music games, Sports games, Action games, fighters, I like on my consoles.
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

Definitely consoles. Most of my favorite genres come to consoles much more than they do the PC. Also, I really don't know squat about computers, so many of the perks that PCs being complex brings would probably be lost to me anyway.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I like both just as much, but i do play a lot more on my PC even tho my favorite genre is on consoles (JRPG).
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I have preferred both up until very recently. Throughout my entire life ever since I started gaming I've been both a console and PC gamer. Only this console generation have I become mostly uninterested in console gaming. The constant drive for most console developers this generation to recycle everything we have already seen with just graphical upgrades has driven me from being anywhere near interested with console gaming as I once was.

PC gaming appeals to me more now because of the ability to customize everything to fit what I want. I can use whatever control input I want. I can get mods to increase the amount of time I spend with a game. The games still interest me to the extent to want to play them. That and with my PC, I can do so much more than just game on it, so investing the money feels more like it is worth it.

When I look at the PS3 and 360... I can see myself only playing maybe 3 or 4 games on each... and putting out those hundreds of dollars for a handful of games just doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe much farther down the road when the libraries are comparable in size to that of what the PS2/Xbox/GC are but not for a long time.

I will still prefer both (I've still got tons of PS2 and GC games to play) but the modern console market has me completely uninterested.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I have preferred both up until very recently. Throughout my entire life ever since I started gaming I've been both a console and PC gamer. Only this console generation have I become mostly uninterested in console gaming. The constant drive for most console developers this generation to recycle everything we have already seen with just graphical upgrades has driven me from being anywhere near interested with console gaming as I once was.

PC gaming appeals to me more now because of the ability to customize everything to fit what I want. I can use whatever control input I want. I can get mods to increase the amount of time I spend with a game. The games still interest me to the extent to want to play them. That and with my PC, I can do so much more than just game on it, so investing the money feels more like it is worth it.

When I look at the PS3 and 360... I can see myself only playing maybe 3 or 4 games on each... and putting out those hundreds of dollars for a handful of games just doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe much farther down the road when the libraries are comparable in size to that of what the PS2/Xbox/GC are but not for a long time.

I will still prefer both (I've still got tons of PS2 and GC games to play) but the modern console market has me completely uninterested.

EDIT: Oh yes... and, I don't spend hundreds of dollars every year upgrading my computer. I've been gaming on practically the same computer for nearly four years. Misconception FTL.
Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nintendo_D00d
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
I prefer console gaming, mainly because I grew up with it, and I think playing a game with a keyboard and a mouse is a pain in the ass
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#20 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I myself prefer console gaming. I like the fact that when you buy a console game, you can put it in and play it immediately. I also like the fact that I know that the game is going to work and I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars a year upgrading its hardware just to play the newest games. How about you?UT_Wrestler
I used to be a PC guy, but I'm a console guy now. Basically for the reasons you just laid out.
rom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 rom11
Member since 2005 • 2049 Posts

FPS, RPG, 3rd PS = PC

Rally, Sports = Console

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I prefer console gaming, just because I love Nintendo games.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#23 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

I am having so much trouble trying to reply to this.... I'd never want to go without one or the other. There are handfulls of console games that just have to be played. But I would much rather play mmorpg's. Every day is a new adventure in mmorpg's. EVE Online, WoW, Asheron's Call, and City of are some of the mmorpg's I could easily sink YEARS of my life into if I could. I havent got to play an mmorpg in a long time though because of the cost. Your looking at like 1-2k PC, a graphic card which i dont even know the cost of, broadband which is 30-40$ a month, the games which are 15-20$ a month per game.

juiceb0xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 juiceb0xx
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

I prefer gaming in general and at any given time I prefer the platform that has the most interesting game for me.

I think anyone that's been here long enough knows that actual ups and downs of consoles and PC minus all the false stereotypes about them ($5,000 PC, $10,000 90' Plasma HDTV are needed for enjoyment crap)

Simply put, If I stuck to any one platform. I'd miss out Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, The Witcher...

smerlus

Agreed, I just like games, and any negative or positive feedback is useful but does not determine how or what to play.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
id say console because I woulnd be able to keep up with the constant upgrades and updates
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44541 Posts

While there are alot of games I enjoy on the PC my preference has always leaned towards consoles. The key reasons being that a) there is more variety to choose from on consoles and b) I know that I'll always get the exact same performance from my games as everyone else. So wondering about my console's performance when reading reviews isn't an issue.

I've had pretty much every console from the Atari 2600 and upward and even though I only have a 360 right now this generation of consoles has become my favourite and I'm having more fun with gaming right now then ever.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I don't prefer systems, I prefer games. I really wouldn't feel satisfied if I only had access to a PC or a console.
Chilled_AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chilled_AB
Member since 2008 • 568 Posts
I'm gonna go weith you TC, I don't mind PC gaming but I find console gaming to be mre straight forward and less fussy plus I love action and fighting games and you can only get those on consoles.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
I prefer the old pc for gaming i have a ps2 and played on a few other consoles but i havn't really liked consoles they just feel lacking in something and i think its that most pc games are bit more you know they have a bit more c la ss be bit ponsy a bit more intelligent than console games.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30 Armalite1016
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

Well I want to buy a PS3 for MGS4, but right now PC is all I play, and no they don't cost $4000 for a good one (try $800, yeah that's right), and no, they don't cost hundreds of dollars every year. Realistically, unless you're an idiot, upgrade every 2-3 years maybe buy one new part.

Pc has better controls, since you can not only use KB+M, but any other controller that they make, which encompasses consoles. I mean, that plus mods, plus the fact that PC exclusives are almost always better than consoles exclusives. (STALKER vs. Halo 3, there's no contest) I mean, it should be no contest, as long as you are willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra, which is worth it for everything. Also, think of it this way, consoles, you can only use them for games and maybe another function like Blu-ray player, so obviously their price will go down. A regular computer will cost about $500, a gaming one maybe $800-$900, so really if you look at it as just buying a new computer, for an actual gaming computer, it will cost maybe $300-$400 to upgrade, and that's the same price as a console.

PC wins, period.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

With the pc i like to mess with settings i have more fun having a pc that can't do the maximum for crysis becuase i have to tweak settings to get it running the best and looking great on an 8800 gt it can be done and can be done on an 8600 gts.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

Consoles because I work on a computer all day and can't relax after a day at work in the same position for PC games.

But man I miss the far superior online stuff on PCs (more people online, much better lobbies for searching for games to join, more customization in controls becuase of the keyboard). Consoles are catching up though with games like COD4 and hopefully GTAIV.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
PC gaming. For its flexibility, and more complex, challenging and mature game library.