Do you get excited for sequels when you shouldn't?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

I'm asking this question because I found Battlefront 1 (2015) to be one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming "career"--just a completely underwhelming, unsatisfying, boring, waste of money--and yet I find myself looking forward to Battlefront 2!

I don't know...what do you guys think?

Baron_Machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2 Baron_Machina
Member since 2017 • 273 Posts

There really isn't a "should" or "shouldn't" for what to be excited about. You have every right to be excited for something.

As for getting excited for game sequels, that's really just up in the air. I've had some sequels that I've been excited for not pan out well, like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts or Mass Effect Andromeda. But I've also had a few titles surprise me. I was pretty nervous about Resident Evil 7 after 6 and the fact that Umbrella Corps came out not too long before it, but I ended up loving 7. It's one of my favorite games in the series. I was also nervous about Nier Automata since the first Nier looked a bit awkward to me and the fact that Platinum's 2016 games were pretty disappointing. Loved that game too. That's the thing about not just games, but all forms of media and art: sometimes it works, sometimes it flops, and sometimes creators learn from their mistakes to improve their future endeavors.

As for Battlefront, I was also disappointed by it, especially how much it pales in comparison to the original two games. However, it seems like EA is at the very least acknowledging the past games faults and trying to fix them for Battlefront 2. It was one of the couple games at EA's presentation that actually got any of my attention, and I do hope that the size of the content and the single player campaign turn out well. But, right now, that's up in the air. It has some promise, and who knows, maybe it'll deliver on it.

It also might end up being a disappointment, but sometimes that happens. We'll just have to wait and see.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44184 Posts

I never let any disappointment that I may have had with a previous game sour my outlook on its sequel. If the next game sounds and looks like it'll be an improvement over the last game then I don't really feel like I shouldn't be excited for it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I don't get your point, are you assuming sequels are bad?

Usually for games, the first game is a concept of sorts, that is far from the intended realisation. And that is why a sequel usually follow to iron out flaws, missed opportunities, and expand what the developers want the IP to be.

Street Fighter II: The World Warriors and Super Mario Bros 3 are just two games that should go without question being far superior games to the original titles Street Fighter and Mario Bros.

I mean, how many Grand Theft Auto fans do you know that rave about the original game?

Sequels can also be bad. I've played enough to know it can go in that horrible direction. But I'd be lying if most my favorite games of all time are not a sequel in a franchise. I always hope for what could be, not die in nostalgia.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@RSM-HQ: No, I'm not implying sequels are bad.

I'm saying if you did not enjoy the first game, logically you wouldn't look forward to the sequel. But I often find myself looking forward to it, anyway lol.

I'm using the term "shouldn't" loosely as well, obviously there is no set-in-stone law saying what you can and can't do :P It's just a silly observation and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way; I absolute loathed Battlefront, and I'm going to talk endless shit about Battlefront 2...but deep down it's only because I really really really want it to do well.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Hmm, I had some hope for Homefront: The Revolution even though I found the first game to be just fair at best. Granted, I don't think it was a terrible game once some of its major issues were addressed, but still. Right now I feel like I shouldn't be too excited for Call of Duty WWII since I haven't bought a Cod since the first Black Ops and MW3 was the last one I actually played. But it's my strong liking for World at War and just seeing a new game set in WWII has me quite excited, even though it's probably going to have like a 5 hour campaign and a MP I won't want to invest a lot of time into.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@SoNin360 said:

Hmm, I had some hope for Homefront: The Revolution even though I found the first game to be just fair at best. Granted, I don't think it was a terrible game once some of its major issues were addressed, but still. Right now I feel like I shouldn't be too excited for Call of Duty WWII since I haven't bought a Cod since the first Black Ops and MW3 was the last one I actually played. But it's my strong liking for World at War and just seeing a new game set in WWII has me quite excited, even though it's probably going to have like a 5 hour campaign and a MP I won't want to invest a lot of time into.

oh yeah, COD is another franchise I feel that way about. They generally prove me right as I only play the games for the singleplayer, and it's just not worth the price of admission for that alone, but still...about every third game the campaign is really good. I guess I hope for that each time I buy it despite telling myself I should not lol.

Damn disposable income....

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm asking this question because I found Battlefront 1 (2015) to be one of the biggest disappointments of my gaming "career"--just a completely underwhelming, unsatisfying, boring, waste of money--and yet I find myself looking forward to Battlefront 2!

despite the first game i defy anyone who's a fan of both shooters and star wars to not be looking forward to the sequel after seeing the latest trailer ;)

Loading Video...
@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't know...what do you guys think?

i find myself doing the same as you. i seem to have an optimism when it comes to gaming that defies logic and past experience. i haven't liked a ubisoft game since black flag - most i strongly dislike - yet i always keep one eye on any upcoming games of theirs, perhaps because i have such fond memories of them from 10-15 years ago and i think that maybe, just maybe, this time they'll produce something with the same thought, imagination and quality their games used to have all those years ago.

all the talk about the new assassin's creed being heavily inspired by the witcher 3 is the latest game to make me wonder whether this one will be their return to glory, even though everything in their track record from the past 5-10 years points to no being the answer

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@Macutchi: right?!?! Optimism, i guess that's the best word. Have to agree with you there.

They're just games, I think a lot of people forget that; if we can't be optimistic about games-- what should be the most light-hearted things in life-- then we are kind of screwed lol. It's fun to take them seriously, to appreciate them and debate on them, but not really.

Yeah...always optimistic. Gotta stay that way with games.

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#10 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

As a long time Assassin's Creed fan, it sort of comes with the territory. We'll always have Syndicate.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

if we can't be optimistic about games-- what should be the most light-hearted things in life-- then we are kind of screwed lol.

exactly :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm saying if you did not enjoy the first game, logically you wouldn't look forward to the sequel. But I often find myself looking forward to it, anyway lol.

I disliked Demon's Souls because the controls was far from acceptable, Dark Souls III is one of my favorite games of all time, I also like the other two as well.

Devil May Cry 2 is trash-tier, DMC3 one of my favorite games of all time.

Assassins Creed was a waste of my time, AC2 was still not to my taste but I got some enjoyment out of it.

D00M III was, well. . . D00M 2016 was awesome, and I like to forget about DIII.

*Different strokes for different folks I guess but a lot of the time a decent sequel will achieve what the latter did not.

Or the sequel may be bad compared to the previous game, never ventured, never gained.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Who's to say what you should or shouldn't be excited about?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

@RSM-HQ said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I disliked Demon's Souls because the controls was far from acceptable, Dark Souls III is one of my favorite games of all time, I also like the other two as well.

Devil May Cry 2 is trash-tier, DMC3 one of my favorite games of all time.

Assassins Creed was a waste of my time, AC2 was still not to my taste but I got some enjoyment out of it.

D00M III was, well. . . D00M 2016 was awesome, and I like to forget about DIII.

*Different strokes for different folks I guess but a lot of the time a decent sequel will achieve what the latter did not.

Or the sequel may be bad compared to the previous game, never ventured, never gained.

That's another good point; games come out pretty quick. We have like 20 AC games, and that series started when? 2007? That's a lot of games in 10 years! A lot of opportunities to do things right, wrong, and everywhere in between :D

Also, from what I gather there is a pretty high turnover rate in game development, either from burnout or studios closing or firings--it's a tough industry from what I hear--so that means that there's a high likelihood that while a certain IP might stay with a specific studio for many years, the team working on it could be nearly completely different.

DOOM (2016) was a masterpiece, I agree, and it paid total tribute to the original Doom while being it's own awesome, brutal thing; but at the same time, while being an iD title, I wonder how much of that team was the original Doom team. Not implying anything, just an honest question.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@mrbojangles25: I would imagine no one from original id worked on D2016, but I'm ok with that I wasn't born when the original game was released so that was a very long-time ago.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Yeah... kind of anyway. I rant and bitch about the Assassin Creed games all the time, because they're dumb and clunky as ****, with some of the worst traversal controls around... but I keep buying them.... I just keep buying them.

DerpaDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DerpaDerp
Member since 2017 • 59 Posts

@ruthaford_jive: its like your gamer senses are tingling for. hahaha.. :D but you have to know as well that some sequels are nice to get excited on. It always depend on the game and what the gamers are expecting.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Depends on the dev... For instance, I'm excited for anything coming from Rockstar or Naughty Dog

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

Im kina excited for the new shadow of Mordor even tho I got bored n stopped playing the first.