Do you find Zelda: Ocarina of Time to be overrated?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for muay_thai_demon
muay_thai_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 muay_thai_demon
Member since 2009 • 446 Posts
I do not, I feel it deserves the praise it gets. I've beaten the game three times, but have started the game and gotten to various points in it numerous times.
SylvanMidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SylvanMidget
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts

Yes, but I'm not a Zelda fan.

Two most overrated series are Zelda and Halo. I know people will hate me for saying that.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

nah- for its time it was revolutionary in terms of graphics, gameplay, mood, etc...

and its still a blast to play thru today :)

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Foggel
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

The Legend of Zelda is one of my favourite franchises, so no. It was an amazing experience.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Yup. As far as Zelda games go, I thought Wind Waker was much, much better than The Ocarina of Time.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

not really, im not a fan of the series, and therefore I dont really like it.

at the same time, It may well be the best game ever made, its just I dont like the series as a whole

ryan_returns29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 ryan_returns29
Member since 2006 • 3191 Posts

I too think that it deservers all the praise it gets. It's the best game I've ever played and probably always will be.

hellsloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hellsloth
Member since 2009 • 54 Posts
it was fun for a whle but got bored of it half way thrue the game to repetetive
fried_eggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fried_eggs
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

It deserved the praise it recieved back in 1998. But compared to the games of today, it doesn't seem as good.

gamester_12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamester_12345
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

It left a bad aftertaste in my mouth, just because of the water temple, the same thing happened with TP, if i had known it was going to be that confusing sooner, i would had avoided it with a stick and just avoided to play it at all. now Link to the Past, that was a great game, nice graphics and sound for it's time plus theres no confusing water temple = 200% good to me.

Avatar image for muay_thai_demon
muay_thai_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 muay_thai_demon
Member since 2009 • 446 Posts

and its still a blast to play thru today :)

Scoob64

True.

Mr_Fujiv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 256

#12 Mr_Fujiv1
Member since 2008 • 4437 Posts
Best game i have ever played! end of :D
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Any game that gets a perfect score is overrated. Really darn good yes, but to call any game the best of all time is to overrate it and a lot of folks call it that. I am of the belief that no one game (or movie or album or novel) can be the greatest of all time because as cliche as this is there's no accounting for taste.
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

Yup. As far as Zelda games go, I thought Wind Waker was much, much better than The Ocarina of Time.

Shad0ki11

Me too. I thought that Wind Waker was the highest point of all the 3d zeldas. Twilight Princess felt like an updated Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask didn't really hit a note with me, and Ocarina of Time was great, but IMO not as great as WW.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#15 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

No its an amazing game but I do think Wind Waker is better.

Halocraftzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Halocraftzone
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

It was a fantastic game, but Majora's Mask was my favourite. Still though, I don't think it was overrated.

__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 __Chris__
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts

No

Hindle_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Hindle_1
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts

No, but i played it for the first time 2 years ago on the gamecube collectors disc and the 'old' look and feel initially put me off but it was brilliant in the end

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

Definitely not. For it's time it was revolutionary and it's aged remarkably well

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i don't think it's over-rated when you consider all the things that it did:

real-time cut-scenes, seamless 3D map, z-targeting allowing true 3D sword fights, subtle and engaging conceptual narrative, seamless overall design that blurred story with dungeons, context-sensitive actions, versatile item system, horse riding, semi-open world approach, wonderful character and boss design, and still some of the best level designs ever.

but for me, it doesn't feel as accessible today (it's a pretty 'classical' design), and it has aged graphically. i also don't agree with people calling it 'the best game ever', because i don't really think there is such a thing.

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

I've played 100's if not 1000's of games, and it still in my opinion is the best i've ever played. It's truely a masterpiece, if anything, it's underrated.
Many Top 10 Lists don't have it that high up, which is disappointing.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts

I dont think so I thought it was an revolutionary game since I was a fan of the other zelda games, it took what we all loved about zelda and a great leap from the 2d world to 3d which some games that went from the leap seem better played on 2d like castlevania for an example

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

Besides the original Zelda for NES, I would say Ocarina of Time was the best Zelda game to date. The one for SNES was really good too (also ported to Gameboy color). It had a very wide open world, tons of levels, tons of items, nice graphics for the time. The gameplay was easy and generally very intuitive. It was an entertaining game and even had a more interesting storyline with the time travel and all. Good game. I do not think it was overrated.

If there was one thing I think they should have added to Ocarina of time, I think they should have added the ability to time travel into the future far enough to when guns were invented. Having access to some of the GTA weapons would have made defeating enemies a lot easier. Also you could get yourself a car. Pulling off some GTA-style drivebys on some of those zombies would have made things a lot easier.

Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

Not really; I mean, compared to Halo or Final Fantasy 7, it didn't get near as much coverage. I mean hell, FF7 even got spinoff movies, and Halo got Burger King orders! In terms of public outbreak; Legend of Zelda wasen't near as big.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
OoT is overrated today, but in its day it was good. I beat TP before i beat OoT and i thought TP was better...
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I got over the game along time ago and probably don't feel inclined the play through it again any time soon, but it's still not overrated by any stretch.

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

Among gamers, it's one of the best of all time.

My opinion was as it was indeed very good, it wasn't worthy of best game ever.

Highly enjoyable experience, though.

chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#28 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts
It was a great game but hugely overrated
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Nope, One of the best Legend of Zelda games made.
LobsterBoy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LobsterBoy92
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

Compared to the latest Zelda games it's slightly over-rated but it was an epic game at the time :-) I had the remake on the GC

Dustman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dustman93
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

Yeah I find it very overrated. Its alright :/.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

Nope, and I hate anyone who says it is. Not really though. Seriously though, it's not overrated.

andybobbins16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 andybobbins16
Member since 2004 • 314 Posts
you will always find people who think games are overrated and I agree nothing is so perfect it would get a 10 personally I like the average scores you see on IMDB much more realistic to have exceptional games in the 8+ end of the scale and only the greatest making it past the 9.0 mark means that unlike gamespot you dont view everything under 8 as crap lol regardless of what they say about 5 supposedly meaning average slightly off track but yea the game was possibly the most exceptional game I have played looks story and tons to do with a cool horse and weapons what more!
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

It left a bad aftertaste in my mouth, just because of the water temple, the same thing happened with TP, if i had known it was going to be that confusing sooner, i would had avoided it with a stick and just avoided to play it at all. now Link to the Past, that was a great game, nice graphics and sound for it's time plus theres no confusing water temple = 200% good to me.

gamester_12345
Link to the past was the only zelda i could trouble myself playing. Never could get into Zelda games, i dunno why.
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts
Whoever thinks Ocarina Of Time is overrated probably never finished it.
Avatar image for legenderysoldie
legenderysoldie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 legenderysoldie
Member since 2005 • 1237 Posts

no, it was a great innovation for its time

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Its a good game, but it doesn't deserve the praise it gets. I consider many games to be superior to it.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

No, its still extremely fun to play today. Actually I cant think of a game from that era thats aged better, maybe metal gear solid one is close.

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

No way, it deserves all the accolades it recieves.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#40 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

It is definitely worthy of all the praise. It is a true masterpiece. Its not my favorite game, but in the top 5. If someone were to say it is the greatest game ever (which many have) I could not argue with them.

LobsterBoy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LobsterBoy92
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

you will always find people who think games are overrated and I agree nothing is so perfect it would get a 10 personally I like the average scores you see on IMDB much more realistic to have exceptional games in the 8+ end of the scale and only the greatest making it past the 9.0 mark means that unlike gamespot you dont view everything under 8 as crap lol regardless of what they say about 5 supposedly meaning average slightly off track but yea the game was possibly the most exceptional game I have played looks story and tons to do with a cool horse and weapons what more!andybobbins16

You are right with that. Nothing should be a 10 because all games are down to opinions. Putting say, a boxing game as 10 and saying 'it's the best game in the world you should definatly play it' isn't right because people who aren't fans of boxing would personally hate the game. So yes I agree with you on that :D

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

For its time, a 10 COULD be warranted, but a 9.7 isn't far out of the realm of reality here.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

In order to have felt the impact the game made, you would have had to grow up playing all the 2d games of the era, and then played OoT when it was first released. Then, you wouldn't find it overrated. If you go back and play it for the first time today though, then yes, you will find it vastly overrated. I personally like Twilight Princess better, but that's just me.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

In order to have felt the impact the game made, you would have had to grow up playing all the 2d games of the era, and then played OoT when it was first released. Then, you wouldn't find it overrated. If you go back and play it for the first time today though, then yes, you will find it vastly overrated. I personally like Twilight Princess better, but that's just me.

ethanpaige

I agree with the first part, but Twilight Princess, for me, felt mostly like an updated Ocarina of Time.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

In order to have felt the impact the game made, you would have had to grow up playing all the 2d games of the era, and then played OoT when it was first released.

ethanpaige
Pretty excellent response, I did grow up with those games, but for me "The Game" of that era was Metal Gear Solid, which has not aged as well, but in 98, oh man!
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

nope. it deserves the praise that it receives

neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

water temple. ugh. :( urrrrgh. otherwise.. unbelievable

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

yes I find it is extremely overrated, not only is it my least favorite Zelda game it is also one of my least favorite games of all time, I just CANNOT understand where the hype comes from/

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

yes I find it is extremely overrated, not only is it my least favorite Zelda game it is also one of my least favorite games of all time, I just CANNOT understand where the hype comes from/

dragonfly110

What year did you start gaming and what was your first Zelda game? If either answer is anything after the release of the GC then I'm not terribly surprised. By today's standards OoT's gameplay is nothing special, the game has ugly graphics, crappy MIDI sound, and a small world map.

But back in 1998 it was stunning. The graphics were the best on any console at the time. While it may be hard to believe, spend a week playing nothing but pre-OoT N64 and PSX games. Now play OoT and you'll see why people were so impressed by the graphics ("OMG textures that don't look like mud! Holy ****ing **** dynamic lighting!11! LOOK AT THAT VIEW DISTANCE!!! There's no fog in sight!"). The really big thing though was OoT's gameplay and controls. Again, go play a bunch of 3D action-adventure games released before OoT. You'll notice that they all control so terribly that they're nearly unplayable and that the camera typically sucks so much that it will kill you. OoT, however, still has great controls even by today's standards (and the camera is still pretty good too). The reason for that is that OoT was responsible for the control scheme that just about every 3D action-adventure game has used since. You know the concept of locking onto a target? That didn't exist before OoT (hence the reason why the game never shuts up about Z-targeting). Dodging was also something new, at least to the extent that OoT pulled it off. Before OoT dodging an enemy just mean running out of the way. In OoT it meant doing a backflip before instantly coming back with a jumping attack or simply hopping to the side to avoid a strike and leave your opponent with an opening.

So basically the hype about OoT comes from the fact that it was a massive step forward for gaming as a whole. Super Mario 64 may have been the first great 3D game if only because it was the first 3D game to finally get the camera and controls right, but OoT refined 3D gameplay to modern standards. Not only that but the game was beautiful to look at, the music was very memorable, the world map felt huge back then, the gameplay was pretty deep, the game was very long (it still ranks as the longest 3D Zelda), and the plot and characters were very well written. And need I mention how epic the boss fights were, especially the final boss which is still considered by many to be one of the best boss fights/ending sequences in any game?

In my opinion OoT fully deserves its praise. Sure, it's dated and most games these days have superior graphics, sound, controls, and gameplay. But that's the case with every that has been and ever will be released. Something new and better will always come out. For that reason it's pretty foolish to make the criterion for "best game" to be that it has to be superior in direct comparison to any other game ever released. You have to judge games relatively. Just how much of an impact did it have and how good was it for its time? Even the worst games released today would have been mega-hits if released over a decade ago, and it doesn't seem very reasonable to claim, for example, that Sonic Unleashed is better than Sonic 2.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

gameguy6700

What year did you start gaming and what was your first Zelda game? If either answer is anything after the release of the GC then I'm not terribly surprised. By today's standards OoT's gameplay is nothing special, the game has ugly graphics, crappy MIDI sound, and a small world map.

But back in 1998 it was stunning. The graphics were the best on any console at the time. While it may be hard to believe, spend a week playing nothing but pre-OoT N64 and PSX games. Now play OoT and you'll see why people were so impressed by the graphics ("OMG textures that don't look like mud! Holy ****ing **** dynamic lighting!11! LOOK AT THAT VIEW DISTANCE!!! There's no fog in sight!"). The really big thing though was OoT's gameplay and controls. Again, go play a bunch of 3D action-adventure games released before OoT. You'll notice that they all control so terribly that they're nearly unplayable and that the camera typically sucks so much that it will kill you. OoT, however, still has great controls even by today's standards (and the camera is still pretty good too). The reason for that is that OoT was responsible for the control scheme that just about every 3D action-adventure game has used since. You know the concept of locking onto a target? That didn't exist before OoT (hence the reason why the game never shuts up about Z-targeting). Dodging was also something new, at least to the extent that OoT pulled it off. Before OoT dodging an enemy just mean running out of the way. In OoT it meant doing a backflip before instantly coming back with a jumping attack or simply hopping to the side to avoid a strike and leave your opponent with an opening.

So basically the hype about OoT comes from the fact that it was a massive step forward for gaming as a whole. Super Mario 64 may have been the first great 3D game if only because it was the first 3D game to finally get the camera and controls right, but OoT refined 3D gameplay to modern standards. Not only that but the game was beautiful to look at, the music was very memorable, the world map felt huge back then, the gameplay was pretty deep, the game was very long (it still ranks as the longest 3D Zelda), and the plot and characters were very well written. And need I mention how epic the boss fights were, especially the final boss which is still considered by many to be one of the best boss fights/ending sequences in any game?

In my opinion OoT fully deserves its praise. Sure, it's dated and most games these days have superior graphics, sound, controls, and gameplay. But that's the case with every that has been and ever will be released. Something new and better will always come out. For that reason it's pretty foolish to make the criterion for "best game" to be that it has to be superior in direct comparison to any other game ever released. You have to judge games relatively. Just how much of an impact did it have and how good was it for its time? Even the worst games released today would have been mega-hits if released over a decade ago, and it doesn't seem very reasonable to claim, for example, that Sonic Unleashed is better than Sonic 2.

my first ever Zelda game was Oracle of Seasons, followed by Majoras mask, followed by ocarina of time.