Do I lose my "gamer" status if....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Recent GTA IV/V, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Far Cry, Batman, Witcher and other mega popular titles do not interest me?

I've also literally not spend $ on any new game after DCUO (this was January 11th 2011). So, I'm looking at almost 4½ years where no developer has delivered anything that would open my wallet. Here is the odd thing though...From 1990 to 2010 I'm confident that I hold the record in most time spent on gaming. I've finished 90-95% of all the first generation consoles like Nintendo, SNES, PSX, some Dreamcast and a lot Arcade games before these consoles.

From around 2000 I found myself spending most $ playing LAN multiplayer PC games before I finally got my own PC in late 2001. From 2001 to 2011 I've found myself playing fewer games but for longer period, due to their multiplayer/social aspect. I've been part of most MMORPG's as well and I've spent significant time on RTS/FPS games like Half Life, Counter Strike and Star Craft since I got my PC.

I'm also not suffering from a burnout. I just look at these popular games, MOBA's as well but they don't grab my attention, mainly because they feel more of the same. I'm still desperately trying to find a game I can see myself play long term. Something that's taken more seriously and mature. Games like EVE, Ultima Online and SWG for example, with persistent worlds and tons of features, ways/paths I can play them with my ship/chr/car or whatever I consistently develop for long term goals.

I mean, am I asking too much?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

like I said on the other thread, I have gone for many months without touching a game. I don't see what's the big deal. I don't play most of the popular stuff either. Never been a huge fan of GTA, I thought Batman Arkham series is super overrated, Mass Effect bores me too. Just play what you want to play and that's it. =/

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Yeah, I can somewhat relate to that. Most of the games I've bought in recent times have been a bit mediocre and I haven't really felt like finishing them.

But I'm somewhat interested in the new mass effect though.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Gamer isn't really a special status symbol. It just describes a person who plays games. You can still call yourself a gamer until you stop playing games altogether.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The word "gamer" doesn't have any meaning attached to it. Video games aren't some exclusive club that you can get kicked out of. It's just a hobby like any other.

I know for a long time in the late 90s and early 2000s I barely watched any movies of any sort. However, I never stopped loving movies, I just lost interest for a very long time. Eventually I got back into film and now I watch new movies very frequently. You're likely going through a similar phase. You're lacking the passion, but you'll find it again eventually.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

You're experiencing, "been there done that". I have the same feeling with almost every game. All games are just basically the same thing most of the time... just slightly "better" gameplay or slightly better graphics.

When i played the first batman arkham game, it was ok. Played the second one and was amazed how short the game was and how i didn't like it as much as other people did. Played the third one, and i haven't even gotten more then 2 hrs into it, im not sure if i'll ever actually get anywhere in it. I'll probably try the new batman game but i'm not excited about it at all. These batman games are the most overrated garbage i've played. Combat sucks in them, its a non stop quicktime button mash.

Actually I was looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, but since its not coming to PC for who knows long, i lost all interest in it.

anyways, you just have to wait it out and eventually something good will come out. Thats what im doing.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

yes, leave our presence peasant

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Shit, like if the title "gamer" were as important as Doctor, Engineer, Architect or Lawyer ( put a roll eyes smily here ).

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Gamer isn't really a special status symbol. It just describes a person who plays games. You can still call yourself a gamer until you stop playing games altogether.

And that answers the TC....

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

No. And if someone tries to convince you otherwise, then it's a waste of time listening to their opinion. People who try to put down others for not being a 'true gamer' and their justification for why they truly are a 'gamer' either have way too much stock in the hobby or are children.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

I wouldn't call you a non-gamer for that reason. I'd just say you don't have interest in mass appeal games.

Maybe you should try Rule of Rose out.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Not everyone enjoy the trends in game.

Being a gamers is more than just playing games but being in the culture and the like.

I can not stand the indie games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

You're only a non-gamer when you try and have a gameplay opinion on a title for watching YouTube videos or reading a Wiki.

As long as you play games, that's being a gamer. Doesn't matter how much or how little. A gamer plays games :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't care what you play or how often you play it..... you're a fellow gamer to me....

FYI gamer status is overrated.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Last game you spent money on is DC Universe Online? Yea, you are just a dirty casual peasant. :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Sounds like you are burned out from gaming, like you said, you overdid it playing that much time and now you lost interest.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Burnout periods are common. Play adventure games and strategy games, city builders, puzzle games.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

You will lose your gamer status if you stop playing games.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If you have continued to play videogames until the present day then you are still a gamer. No matter the platform PC, Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo. Even "extinct" platforms SNK, NEC, Sega, Atari, Commadore, etc. Even if you played Android or even iOS. You would still be a gamer. Once you quit playing videogames on any platform. Then you leave the videogame universe.

Gamer is not an official title. Unless it is in the new Oxford dictionary. So don't sweat it.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

@Kopogero said:

Recent GTA IV/V, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Far Cry, Batman, Witcher and other mega popular titles do not interest me?

I've also literally not spend $ on any new game after DCUO (this was January 11th 2011). So, I'm looking at almost 4½ years where no developer has delivered anything that would open my wallet. Here is the odd thing though...From 1990 to 2010 I'm confident that I hold the record in most time spent on gaming. I've finished 90-95% of all the first generation consoles like Nintendo, SNES, PSX, some Dreamcast and a lot Arcade games before these consoles.

From around 2000 I found myself spending most $ playing LAN multiplayer PC games before I finally got my own PC in late 2001. From 2001 to 2011 I've found myself playing fewer games but for longer period, due to their multiplayer/social aspect. I've been part of most MMORPG's as well and I've spent significant time on RTS/FPS games like Half Life, Counter Strike and Star Craft since I got my PC.

I'm also not suffering from a burnout. I just look at these popular games, MOBA's as well but they don't grab my attention, mainly because they feel more of the same. I'm still desperately trying to find a game I can see myself play long term. Something that's taken more seriously and mature. Games like EVE, Ultima Online and SWG for example, with persistent worlds and tons of features, ways/paths I can play them with my ship/chr/car or whatever I consistently develop for long term goals.

My guess is that you are taking a break from the gaming world. I don't believe you have lost the gamer status. Just buy the popular games even if u've left off since 2011. There are a many great games released after that and i almost sure that'll pull you back in the gaming world.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Heck no, I don't buy every major tittle that comes out and I'm still playing games that most people have stopped playing years ago....I know I'm as hardcore as they come as a gamer lol

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#22 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@Kopogero said:

Have you even played those games though? Or just seen media coverage? Those games you listed are pretty great. It would be a shame if you didn't at least try them out for a while.