Dinosaurous OnlineGaming Illiteratisaurous, Get Educated or Become A Fossil!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merlinthecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 merlinthecat
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Dinosaurous OnlineGaming Illteratisaurous

I am online gaming illiterate and am seeking help to educate myself.

When I was with the U.S. Coast Guard we didn't get Windows 3.1 and Office until 1997 (by then the software was obsolete but it was new to us).  Back then the Coast Guard was part of the Department of Transportation so we had to compete with AMTRACK for funding and we didn't get much.  That was my first real experience with computers.  Since then most every thing I know about computers was self taught.  Unfortunately I also missed out on the Home Gaming system experience like the "XBox" and similar systems so I'm way behind the Eight Ball when it comes to gaming.

Anyway, that's a little background info on me.  I am now gainfully retired and I own a top of the line very fast PC with duel-core processors, two large hard drives, massive amounts of RAM and a 5 Mbps Internet connection. I bought the PC version of Battle Field II with the intention of using it as a first person game to play occasionally at home, myself against the game; I soon discovered the game is not much for that.  It is designed pretty much specifically for online gaming.  So I know how to use Windows and the Internet but know absolutely nothing about online gaming.

I have an account with GameSpot so I assume I have access to game sites to use my Home PC and game in an online interactive forum?  Where can I find an easy to understand source of guidance on how to begin participating in online gaming?  Sort of an Online Gaming for Dummies web site or other source of info without having to pay $15.00 for the book?  As I said, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.  I don't even know how/where to logon to play the specific game I have, nor do I have any concept of how to set up my computer/game to do so, and I have no understanding of how I as a single player would interact with the rest of the players in the game format?  I'd love to start playing but I need some easy instructions on how to get started playing Battlefield II online and how to use the game when I do get in an online gaming scenario.  Any help you online gamers could give me would be greatly appreciated; who knows, with your help, someday I may even gain some experience and give you a match from a worthy opponent or be a significant asset in one of your conflicts?

Ambitious to put down the Enemy put don't know how to load my Weapon!

With humility and gratitude, thanks for any help you considerate gamers can offer me!

Jon

CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts

Forget lessons or any of that. You have Battlefield2. You have a computer with an internet connection. Why not just give it a try and see what happens? It might take a couple of rounds, but you'll understand your objectives soon enough (basically, shoot guys until they fall, stand around an enemy base, and capture it. Wash, rinse, and repeat.)

I assume you've played BF2 single player and have a basic understanding of the controls? Just apply what you know to a server that has people already on it and you'll do fine!