Diminishing Returns. What? Capcom's Deep Down at 1080p. A taste of next gen.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Capcom's released a 1080p version of the Deep Down tech demo. You can download it here.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_deep_down_trailer_fr_-29610_en.html

Gaf and GT Pop Block have found evidence that this is indeed running in realtime. Whether or not it's running on a PS4 devkit remains to be seen, but this is definitely the real deal. 

I understand some people weren't blown away by Killzone Shadow Fall's demo, but anyone who doesn't find this amazing needs to just quit gaming because it doesn't get any better than this. :P

2enpmv.gif

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Yeah, but is it coming to PC?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#3 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I'm kinda hoping Dark Souls 2 looks like this if it is indeed coming to PS4 (and I would imagine so, given From Software was listed as supporting the platform). Edge did say it looked a lot like the reveal trailer, so...

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S0lidSnake

I'm kinda hoping Dark Souls 2 looks like this if it is indeed coming to PS4 (and I would imagine so, given From Software was listed as supporting the platform). Edge did say it looked a lot like the reveal trailer, so...

c_rake

Capcom devs are graphical gods. From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen. And werent even able to run the PC version of DS2 at 720p or 30 fps until a gaf member modded it to run at 1080p and 60 fps.

Dont expect too much from these guys. :P

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Capcom devs are graphical gods. From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen. And werent even able to run the PC version of DS2 at 720p or 30 fps until a gaf member modded it to run at 1080p and 60 fps.

S0lidSnake

Oh come on -- Demon's and Dark Souls weren't that bad looking. They have their moments of visual splendor.

I'm not holding my breath that they'll actually deliver. (I can dream, though, can't I?) Honestly, so long as the plays like Dark Souls, I'll be satisfied.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Holy hell, that looks amazing. TNBHBO (The Non-Believers Have Been Owned). :P

EDIT: Damn that looks good! I'll take two. This reminds me a bit of the feeling I got when I first saw Mass Effect, and it looked amazing and they were talking about how you could explore planets and stuff. Unfortunately, Mass Effect ran like shlt and the planet exploration was awful, but hey, this is Capcom, not Bioware, and Capcom has always been able to come up with some pretty insane looking shlt that runs well too. *Crosses fingers*

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

c_rake

Oh come on -- Demon's and Dark Souls weren't that bad looking. They have their moments of visual splendor.

I'm not holding my breath that they'll actually deliver. (I can dream, though, can't I?) Honestly, so long as the plays like Dark Souls, I'll be satisfied.

Actually I also remember the Eurogamer interview and that got me really excited. Sometimes the pessimist in me likes to keep people's expectations in check. :P 

These consoles are really powerful and easy to program so maybe From can deliver. Dream away! 

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Neat. Even though it's a tech demo it's impressive and a big spoonful of next gen. Let's hope we see something equally impressive from Capcom in a playable fashion.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S0lidSnake

EDIT: Damn that looks good! I'll take two. This reminds me a bit of the feeling I got when I first saw Mass Effect, and it looked amazing and they were talking about how you could explore planets and stuff. Unfortunately, Mass Effect ran like shlt and the planet exploration was awful, but hey, this is Capcom, not Bioware, and Capcom has always been able to come up with some pretty insane looking shlt that runs well too. *Crosses fingers*

Shame-usBlackley

RE5 and Lost Planet 2 look incredible on their current gen engine. I dont know why we are surprised to see their next gen engine's graphics look this good. Maybe even us believers went in with lowered expectations. 

And just think, this is just the beginning. This is what Unreal Engine 3.0 looked like at E3 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c5X6_tuY3Wk#t=44s

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robotapple
Member since 2012 • 780 Posts

i hate to rain on this parade with a taste of reality but capcom themselves said this is what they hope the final product looks like...

sure it could be running in real time on pc's but it's clearly scripted, and it's basically a cutscene...

show me live gameplay demonstrations and i'll be impressed...

expect heavy downgrades when we reach that point... unless you believe capcom is somehow capable of delivering visuals that blow away gueirilla or epic which is a pipedream imo

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shame-usBlackley

i hate to rain on this parade with a taste of reality but capcom themselves said this is what they hope the final product looks like...

sure it could be running in real time on pc's but it's clearly scripted, and it's basically a cutscene...

expect heavy downgrades when we reach that point... unless you believe capcom is somehow capable of delivering visuals that blow away gueirilla or epic which is a pipedream imo

robotapple

I don't remember a time in recent memory where Capcom was bullshltting about graphics. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they haven't tried to deceive, at least not recently. Capcom, regardless of what many say about the mechanics of their current gen games, has made some of the most amazing looking stuff on the market. 

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

S0lidSnake

RE5 and Lost Planet 2 look incredible on their current gen engine. I dont know why we are surprised to see their next gen engine's graphics look this good. Maybe even us believers went in with lowered expectations. 

And just think, this is just the beginning. This is what Unreal Engine 3.0 looked like at E3 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=c5X6_tuY3Wk#t=44s

Yeah, Capcom made some insane looking stuff this generation. I've no reason to doubt them when it comes to visuals.

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robotapple

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

expect heavy downgrades when we reach that point... unless you believe capcom is somehow capable of delivering visuals that blow away gueirilla or epic which is a pipedream imoShame-usBlackley
I don't remember a time in recent memory where Capcom was bullshltting about graphics. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they haven't tried to deceive, at least not recently. Capcom, regardless of what many say about the mechanics of their current gen games, has made some of the most amazing looking stuff on the market. 

there never bs'ed at any point, they were forthright about the fact that this was a target render.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"][QUOTE="robotapple"]

expect heavy downgrades when we reach that point... unless you believe capcom is somehow capable of delivering visuals that blow away gueirilla or epic which is a pipedream imorobotapple

there never bs'ed at any point, they were forthright about the fact that this was a target render.

And I believe they'll hit the target.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen.S0lidSnake
I've read some dumb stuff over the years... but wow.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen.rragnaar

Hehehe.
robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robotapple

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]I don't remember a time in recent memory where Capcom was bullshltting about graphics. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they haven't tried to deceive, at least not recently. Capcom, regardless of what many say about the mechanics of their current gen games, has made some of the most amazing looking stuff on the market. Shame-usBlackley

Okay you're entitled to believe whatever you want...

I'm all for enthusiams but I think it's ludicrous to suggest Capcom will even reach parity with UE4 or Killzone 4 based on the pedigree of developers behind them, much less this target render.

Reminds me a lot of EA's target render video for Madden in early 360 days.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="robotapple"]there never bs'ed at any point, they were forthright about the fact that this was a target render.

robotapple

I'm all for enthusiams but I think it's ludicrous to suggest Capcom will even reach parity with UE4 or Killzone 4 based on the pedigree of developers behind them, much less this target render.

Yeah, if it was from EA, then I'd be concerned, because there is a history of lies, as I've already said. That is not the case with Capcom. And I don't know where you get off talking about pedigrees with Killzone and acting like Capcom is a bunch of hayseeds or something. Capcom was around and making technological marvels when the guys at Guerlila were still swimming around in their father's sacks, for God's sakes and they've made some of the most technologically amazing looking games for generations. It amazes me how little respect people have for them.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm still skeptical ... I'll wait until a game actually uses the engine. The obviously fake HUD makes me wonder. Also, Dark Souls is definitely not the worst look game of this generation and it's definitely not ugly.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I hope the gameplay is similar to Dragon's Dogma.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="robotapple"]there never bs'ed at any point, they were forthright about the fact that this was a target render.

robotapple

This was an artist's representation of what a next gen Madden would look like. Ths was clearly lablelled a CGi movie. Not a realtime tech demo made by EA Madden devs. 

And RE5 looked just as good as Killzone 2 save for some post processing effects. Capcom has a pretty good track record of creating amazing looking titles. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen.rragnaar

:lol: Mission Complete. 

demons-souls-20091008034859105.jpg

Looks worse than Resistance even with a dragon in the picture. And I cant even find the picture from the first section of the game where I died, got raped repeatedly and was forced to go through the same incredibly bland and terrible looking castle over and over again until I said f*ck it, broke the disc in half, returned it to blockbuster and then burned down the blockbuster. 

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robotapple

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

S0lidSnake

This was an artist's representation of what a next gen Madden would look like. Ths was clearly lablelled a CGi movie. Not a realtime tech demo made by EA Madden devs. 

And RE5 looked just as good as Killzone 2 save for some post processing effects. Capcom has a pretty good track record of creating amazing looking titles. 

RE5 looked nowhere near as good as Killzone 2 imo, and it came out well into 360's lifecycle.

This is what early gen Capcom titles looked like:

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]From Software has created two of the worst looking games this gen.S0lidSnake

:lol: Mission Complete. 

demons-souls-20091008034859105.jpg

Looks worse than Resistance even with a dragon in the picture. And I cant even find the picture from the first section of the game where I died, got raped repeatedly and was forced to go through the same incredibly bland and terrible looking castle over and over again until I said f*ck it, broke the disc in half, returned it to blockbuster and then burned down the blockbuster. 

Not taking the bait. It isn't my fault that you don't know how to play games.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="robotapple"]Okay you're entitled to believe whatever you want...

robotapple

RE5 looked nowhere near as good as Killzone 2 imo, and it came out well into 360's lifecycle.

This is what early gen Capcom titles looked like:

Dead Rising's graphical prowess was centered on the number of characters on-screen at once, and that's a terrible shot of it anyway. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't place Guerilla in even remotely the same league as Capcom. Take a look at DMC4, which looked amazing then and still does. RE5 is a marvel as well and easily keeps up with Killzone 2 in many areas. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70152 Posts
I love the smell of hype with every new console :) Can't wait to see what the ACTUAL game looks like.
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#27 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Of all the games shown at the Sony shindig, Deep Down was one of those that really captured my interest.  I don't really mind if the game doesn't realise that graphical fidelity - but it immediately appealed to me as a game world I wanted to explore.  I certainly can't wait to see more on the game.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 S0lidSnake

robotapple

KZ2 and RE5 came out within weeks of each other.  

And why post a link to early gen Capcom game? Did you see how bad Resistance has aged? 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 S0lidSnake

Not taking the bait. It isn't my fault that you don't know how to play games.rragnaar

Im mostly kidding. I've seen some of your screenshots and the bosses look fantastic. I would love to see a Souls game look this good or even as good as that CGi trailer. The graphics whore in me would make me learn how to play a Souls game. 

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Capcom has always delivered the graphics goodness. 

DmC4, RE5, Dragon's Dogma had some impressive visuals (especially the bigger bosses), RE: Revelations looks phenomenal on the 3DS, and despite some low resolution textures RE6 looks particularly good as well.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
This is about as real-time as their RE5 tech demo back when PS3 announced. It looked AMAZING. Then we saw the real RE5.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

While I'm impressed with what Capcom showed off with Deep Down, I'm more impressed with Watch Dogs and Killzone, especially how it looked in 1080 for both.

Also, on that note, either Deep Down is Dragon's Dogma 2 or it's Capcom's own spin on Dark Souls.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IndianaPwns39

This is about as real-time as their RE5 tech demo back when PS3 announced. It looked AMAZING. Then we saw the real RE5.istuffedsunny

I never saw an RE5 tech demo. Link? I'd like to see that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 S0lidSnake

This is about as real-time as their RE5 tech demo back when PS3 announced. It looked AMAZING. Then we saw the real RE5.istuffedsunny

Except that it wasnt realtime and they explicitly stated it was a CGi rendering of what the team wanted to achieve with their next game. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]This is about as real-time as their RE5 tech demo back when PS3 announced. It looked AMAZING. Then we saw the real RE5.IndianaPwns39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4G1c_yQFFc

And it wasnt a tech demo. It was CGi like the Madden and Killzone demos.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Anyone remember the Killzone 2 tech demo and Resident Evil 5 tech demo? Not saying the PS4 won't have pretty looking games, but I'm just saying be a little more skeptical. Dark Souls may not be the best looking game, but it crafts the most believable environments in a fantasy setting. The world is extremely interconnected to the point where you can see sights such as the Duke's Archives from Sen's Fortress, and it's bursting with details from architecture, to armor, to enemy designs, to interesting lore. Did you know you can see Sieglinde inside the Crystal Golem as you fight it? http://i.imgur.com/NTkn9iF.jpg
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]This is about as real-time as their RE5 tech demo back when PS3 announced. It looked AMAZING. Then we saw the real RE5.S0lidSnake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4G1c_yQFFc

And it wasnt a tech demo. It was CGi like the Madden and Killzone demos.

Oh yeah, I remember that now. That was before Chris started pumping steroids.

And maybe it's just me, but while it does look better it doesn't look THAT much better than RE5 which is still a fantastic looking title. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0lidSnake

Anyone remember the Killzone 2 tech demo and Resident Evil 5 tech demo? Minishdriveby

They were not tech demos. They were CGi trailers.

ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

Between this and Capcom's shocking decision to optimize the hell out of the PC version of Resident Evil 6, I may have to take back some of the negative things I've said about them. They're starting to look like a top-tier company again.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Did you know you can see Sieglinde inside the Crystal Golem as you fight it? http://i.imgur.com/NTkn9iF.jpgMinishdriveby

I don't see her. What am I missing?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70152 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]Anyone remember the Killzone 2 tech demo and Resident Evil 5 tech demo? S0lidSnake

It was originally claimed to be ingame,Killzone 2 that is. http://www.gamespot.com/news/e3-rumor-control-killzone-2-real-time-renders-and-360-retro-compatibility-6126204
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 S0lidSnake

ember that now. That was before Chris started pumping steroids.

And maybe it's just me, but while it does look better it doesn't look THAT much better than RE5 which is still a fantastic looking title. 

IndianaPwns39

Nope, it's not just you. Most people thought it was the best looking game on consoles when it first came out. Nothing can match the smoothness and the IQ of a CGi movie, but they came pretty close to matching that CGi target. 

iIiwvGnQcWZoz.gif

And before anyone brings it up, RE5 cutscenes were realtime. 

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
RE5 looked fine in the end but the initial footage was much better. Chris wasn't taking roids, there was impressive lighting, and even in the later pre-release footage the game showed way more enemies than what we actually got (and they were black instead of 90% white) http://www.gamespot.com/resident-evil-5/images/427455/ http://www.gamespot.com/resident-evil-5/images/566326/
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
It still looks like a cutscene to me. Capcom sticking three little icons in the bottom left corner doesn't have me convinced. It looks nice for sure but I dunno.....
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts
Stunning, absolutely stunning. I believe Capcom can deliver the goods here. They've always shown a knack for graphical proficiency for as long as I can remember from the days of the NES until now. I have no reason to doubt them now. I also think that this will be Dragon' Dogma 2 which is great because I loved that game.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#47 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

ember that now. That was before Chris started pumping steroids.

S0lidSnake

Nope, it's not just you. Most people thought it was the best looking game on consoles when it first came out. Nothing can match the smoothness and the IQ of a CGi movie, but they came pretty close to matching that CGi target. 

iIiwvGnQcWZoz.gif

And before anyone brings it up, RE5 cutscenes were realtime. 

I still think it's the best looking game this gen i've played with the exception of maybe Uncharted 2/3.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

I don't see her. What am I missing?

c_rake

Look in the giant crystal that's protruding upward you can see her helmet and body. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/0F5LLXHo1ac/0.jpg

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]Anyone remember the Killzone 2 tech demo and Resident Evil 5 tech demo? S0lidSnake

Sorry I know they were CGI trailers. I meant tech demo in the sense of Capcom and Sony saying this is what the game will actually look like and it's only possible on the PS3 due to the tech, and saying that Chris's beard hair was not just a texture were actual 3D-polygons.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#49 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i doubt we would have gotten anything to look like that with the original specs developers were working with, but we might sometime after the first wave now that they've been upgraded. i think the secrecy with the specs was sony's way of stopping developers from walking around with a digital camera and claiming it is target footage :P

still i'd consider even something that looks like that a waste if it comes with poor load times or the developers get handcuffed with their level design by it. there's no context to it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Look in the giant crystal that's protruding upward you can see her helmet and body. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/0F5LLXHo1ac/0.jpgMinishdriveby

Ah, now I see her. Interesting. Wonder if the same applies for Dusk.