Designers should get more cred instead of voiceactors

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Pretty much what the topic says. To me it's a bit odd that composers, writers and voice actors are typically more famous than gameplay designers. For example for Arkham City I know Dini/Crocker wrote it and Hamill/Conroy did the voices. I have no clue who designed the combat system. For Bioshock Infinite I know Ken Levine wrote it and Baker/Draper did the voices. Have no clue who designed the gameplay.

I dunno, I just think it's unfair and something that has carried over from the movie industry. The real magicians when it comes to games are the gameplay designers imo and they deserve a lot more credit for their hard work. I wish the media would become better at this.

Thoughts?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The most popular people in the video game industry are certainly not voice actors, but the others who make games complete. There are some composers like Nobuo Uematsu and Noriyuki Iwadare who are popular. I and many others know of the involvement Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy had with the first two Batman Arkham video games. Shigeru Miyamoto and Yu Suzuki are much more popular than those I mentioned previously.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

The developer as a whole get a lot of recognition, the designers aren't really public persons because they have little with pr. Same goes really for everyone except for PR and People on top of the company. How many voice actors do people really know except for Nolan North, Troy Baker, Jennifer Hale or Ashley Johnsen. There aren't many, that's for sure.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Pretty much what the topic says. To me it's a bit odd that composers, writers and voice actors are typically more famous than gameplay designers. For example for Arkham City I know Dini/Crocker wrote it and Hamill/Conroy did the voices. I have no clue who designed the combat system. For Bioshock Infinite I know Ken Levine wrote it and Baker/Draper did the voices. Have no clue who designed the gameplay.

I dunno, I just think it's unfair and something that has carried over from the movie industry. The real magicians when it comes to games are the gameplay designers imo and they deserve a lot more credit for their hard work. I wish the media would become better at this.

Thoughts?

Ok, mention 5 voice actors that are not semi-famous c-celeb actors from the movies.

The problem is that a big part of the voice actors are already kinda famous from movies so saying they get more "credit" might be true, but they are kinda famous so of course they will get more spotlight then some random Dev nr94 in a team of 200 and thats a small dev team for most AAA games.

But even then there is a lot of VA´s out there who are doing great work you never hear about like with devs so i disagree.