Deciding which console to get

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

For some time I've been thinking of getting a ps2 (again), or Xbox 360 as my wii is collecting dust and I need something different.

I've owned a ps2 and 3 which i sold in the past and currently own a Wii which I'll be selling for my next console. I'm into my JRPGs, adventure games and racing games and I don't care about online play as I enjoy single player games.

With ps2, there's the whole ps1 library I missed out on which has many great JRPGs, and of course replay my fav. Ps2 games again. On the other hand, there's the Xbox 360 which I've never owned an Xbox before, something different and has original xbox and 360 games which is a huge library. Plus I can replay most of my fav. ps3 games which are multi platform. Which sounds better in your opinion?I can't get both, but the downside to ps2 is some ps1 games are pretty rare and expensive now.

Also, are all Xbox 360 consoles backward compatible cause I'm thinking of just getting the 4 gig version if I do decide to go with xbox?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

I'm not sure if all 360's are backwards compatible, but I know not all original XBOX games are, and lots of the ones that are compatible are extremely buggy.

I'd say if you're a fan of huge diversity and huge libraries (and especially a JRPG lover), definetly go for the PS2, or a 60GB PS3, you'll have the PS1 and PS2 libraries, which both are huge and great, at your disposal.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

360 has a huge library and lots to choose from, but i would go for the ps2 if you are looking for JRPG's

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Agreed and luckily you can still find PS2's new in the box. I'm looking to myself get a PS2 console as I never owned one. I have to say that PS2 had one of the best libraries of any console in my opinion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

That's true with ps2, but my major problem with that is that ps1 JRPGs are very expensive. (For pal anyway) The other factor is I'm on a low budget, otherwise the ps2 option would be great. I did play the classics such as all the final fantasies, chrono trigger, alundra... But even so, there's still tons of games I missed out on.

The Xbox I'm still leaning more on, as the games are cheap and a lot more convenient to get ahold on. There's like 6 games in total that I'm interested in on xbox360, whereas 90 % of Xbox library are fps and sports, which I can't stand. :p

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

The Xbox 360 has a tremendous value in it's software library. Oodles of games, many of which are dirt cheap. Great games too, you can find the whole Gears Trilogy for about fifteen bucks used. Bayonetta for $9 or less, Project Gotham 3&4 used totals in at about $8 as well. (I still hold a special place in my heart for PGR and miss BizzareCreations so very much) Also, the successor to the system is upon us, so this is prime collecting time for the system.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

If you're into JRPGs, the 360 is only going to give you a taste. There's lots of great games for the 360, but JRPGs are a fraction of the library. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, At least one of the Final Fantasies, etc. There are some to be had, sure, but you'll likely find more on the Sony platform.

Each 360 is Backwards Compatible, but only with a selection of games. Not each Original Xbox disc will work. You can find lists with a quick Google Search.

Of course the 360 does have a lot of great games in it's own library as well. From the Halos to the Fables to the Forzas. And some third party stuff that still hasn't moved to any other platform like the original Saints Row and Dead Rising. And of course Gears of War has 3 really good entries with fun meaty campaigns if you decide you want to try a cover-based third person shooter. And since so many of them are several years old they can be found on the cheap.

The selection you put forth really has no bad outcome if I'm honest. The PS2's legendary library or the 360s also very strong lineup, neither one would be a bad choice.