Dead Space 2, Failure or Success?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrClark737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrClark737
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I am a devoted fan of Dead Space and the sequel amazed me, but once again Dead Space 2 like it's predecessor, received mixed reviews. One critic said the campaign was crap, but the multiplayer rocked, another critic said the opposite. This website gave Dead Space 2 an inferior rating to the original game despite the fact that all critics unanimously agree Dead Space 2 was better than the first. So I guess what really matters is: what do the fans think?
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I really liked the campaign, maybe a bit too gory in some Saw-like moments. Haven't touched multiplayer and I doubt I will

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts

Well just because one critic doesn't like the campaign, does not mean all ther other 99+ or so didn't either. Just like the people. Some liked it, others did not.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

dead space 2 campaign was really good, multiplayer was just an addition they wasted time because everything has to have mp nowdays, got bad too fast.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Played it and forgot about it, so ah yeah... Wasn't impressed by the original though, it felt like a third person Doom 3
McGronchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 McGronchy
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts

Failure. Too much effort on new suits, not enough on anything else.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I think the game is good, however If you've played the first Dead Space then it's not really that scary as you've seen most of the monsters before but there is a part that is very much more suspenceful because you've played the first one. If you haven't played the first one then Dead Space 2 is scary. As far as the story goes I actually liked it, a little anticipated but bringing Issac alive with a voice and showing his inner turmoil helped make the story enjoyable.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

Loved it. Wasn't really frightened by it at any point, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to play through. Just an excellent game in my opinion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts
I think it was a success overall, I loved the first Dead Space as well as Dead Space Extraction on the Wii so naturally I'd like Dead Space 2, though I didn't like every change. I liked that Isaac has a voice, I like using kinesis and stasis to slow enemies down and use enemy limbs to pin other enemies to the wall (nice touch), and don't like the new Ripper gun even though it was my favorite weapon last game (blade is too close, doesn't hover out and low like DS1 which I liked)... basically a few little things here and there, though most notable is the shorted campaign length, I think too much of the game relies on tension to cause you to go slow in areas for quite a while that upon replay you know where you can safely skip ahead and this drastically shortens campaign length to me and I'm not really like a speedrun type I'm obsessive about exploration and getting everything and I can still beat it in 7 to 8 hour quite easy, in this sense the game disappoints but overall I enjoy the game, didn't really care for multiplayer myself though, I hope nextime they realize this game needs complete single player devotion and focus on that, less time developing and beta testing multiplayer means more time to work on the main narrative of the title.
LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Not as good as the first game.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

It was good but the first one way better. IMO the multiplayer was a gimmick and wasn't necessary.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
i thought the campaign was pretty boring. it had its exciting parts but halfway through i just wanted it to end already and its not long to begin with. to be fair though im not a big fan of survival horror games and i thought the first one was overrated the eyeball part scared the holy hell out of me though, that was awesome. easily the best part of the game
ShishcabobShig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShishcabobShig
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

I enjoyed Dead Space 2 quite abit. But I cant help but feel it wasnt as freaky as Dead Space. I played both with Surround Sound and still feel The 1st was creepier then DS2. It was good just lacked creepy vibe.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I thought it was great. I really enjoyed it, and it's been my favorite game this year for sure.

Doobious_Sly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Doobious_Sly
imo i would say a success. i personally didn't enjoy the game play at the end, but hey every game always has something you dislike. It played better then ds1. But like all installments after the first, it is extremely HARD to top that feeling. I loved ds1 a lil too much when it first came out. i played a chapter a day just to prolong the feeling of excitement and only waited till after midnight lol. I had to mute certain friends in the party because they were done the first day and wanted to spoil it for me. I honestly also didn't even bother to try the multiplayer, because i was soo devoted to the campaign that i didn't want to be upset about anything with the game. lol i know not a far chance, but a campaign like that they could have just forgotten about it and built more into the story. But hey that's a dreamworld right, everyone has to be satisfied.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Well it kept me interested, from beginning to end and that's no easy task, considering my low rate of finishing games. I'd call that a success.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
It's inferior to the original in a dozen different ways. Whether you consider that a failure or not is strictly dependent on how much you liked the first game.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Dead Space 2 was pretty good up until the last three chapters (not much in the way of new weapons or enemies, but the pack hunters were really cool). Unfortunately, the last three chapters, with their infinitely respawning enemies, indestructable foe, cheap hits and weak last boss, ruined the game for me.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I really liked Dead Space 2. I can say it was a success.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's a success. It has probably sold 3 million copies by now across all three platforms. Being a huge fan of the Dead Space Universe, the only thing I was disappointed about Dead Space 2 were the "other new" space suits. They had no meaning or tie in to the story. I have no clue why they even included them in the campaign. They should have made the suit progression system like Dead Space 1. The rest of the game is epic though. Loved it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts
Success! I loved the first game, and Extraction on the Wii, and I quite enjoyed Dead Space 2, though I have some issues overall I enjoyed it. If they make another game though I'd appreciate it if they did not have any multiplayer and just focused only on the single player experience. My main issue is the campaign length, they said it'd be like 20 to 25 hours, it took me like 15 on first playthrough, and like 7 to 8 hours each playthrough after that. Don't want to spoil anything but there's certain parts where nothing really happens but you creep along slowly expecting something, once you know where these areas are you just breeze by them and not worry about going slow, and I'm not talking about doing speedruns, just normal pacing. Anyhow, I enjoyed it enough, I've been waiting for it forever and it satisfied me, and has me wanting more. Hope they do another rail shooter now like they did Extraction after the first Dead Space.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

I loved Dead Space 2, but that was to be expected since the original was my personal GOTY for 2008. The campaign was great, excellent scripted moments, I liked the story and setting. As some other people mentioned, it wasn't quite as scarcy since they used a lot of the same tactics from the first game, but there were plenty of awesome "WTF" moments and still created an amazing atmosphere just like the first game. The campaign was great, but the multiplayer just seemed tacked on and didn't really hold my interest at all. I thought it was unnecessary before the game even came out and my opinion didn't change when it was released. Developers all seem to think that everything should have some kind of multiplayer now, but I just don't agree with that.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elann2008
^ Aww I love you guys. Dead Space ftw!
Doobious_Sly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Doobious_Sly
^ Aww I love you guys. Dead Space ftw!Elann2008
hahaha you must be a clone, because dead space is the shiiiit and my name is Elan and have never met anyone with the same yet
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I enjoyed the campaign alot. Fun to chop off enemy limbs, although the game really, really, REALLY pushed the ennvelope when it came to being disturbing. The babies that blow up... it's just... wrong. In a good way, since it was a horror game. read my full review for my total thoughts on the game. (click that like button while you're at it!) I liked the game, haven't touched MP, never will.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Constantly hearing a voice over a com link and constantly being told to "go here" only to find out i have to go somewhere else because the path is blocked pretty much killed it for me.

Like every time the game had me going to this random location i KNEW that something was going to happen and i was going to spend 3 hours going in a different direction.

Also, there might as well have been "necromorph spawns here" signs on every room entrance door. You know as soon as you cross that scrimmage line or pick up that item in the middle of the room that eleventy things are going to spawn and try to kill you.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]^ Aww I love you guys. Dead Space ftw!Doobious_Sly
hahaha you must be a clone, because dead space is the shiiiit and my name is Elan and have never met anyone with the same yet

:shock: Are you yanking my chain or you for real?!
england2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 england2010
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

I din't like the game that much, it had way too much stimulation, thourghout the entire game people are screaming , loud machines constanst loud noise, too much bright flashing lights, and the levels desgins are used over and over again.

Doobious_Sly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doobious_Sly
[QUOTE="Doobious_Sly"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]^ Aww I love you guys. Dead Space ftw!Elann2008

:shock: Are you yanking my chain or you for real?!

lol i kid you not dude!
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

great game but not goty

Doobious_Sly